• Please log in to reply
1076 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton
  • First Team
  • 763 posts
  • Supports:Arsenal

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:15 PM

I just came back from our third preseason game at Ritzing and cannot believe what I just saw.
This guy is the most complete 16 year old I ever had the pleasure to watch.
His first touch, vision, passing are unbelievable, and he was the undisputed boss on the field.
Believe me, I do not very often cream my keypad over an upcoming youngster, but in all the years I´m watching the game I´ve never seen anything like him.
Oh boy, can´t wait to see him in the Prem (though it might well take another year or two)

Oh, BTW, another sterotypical and very funny thing occured during the game: There was one single guy in a Liverpool shirt there, and he jumped onto the field during warmup right at the corner flag and stole one of the training balls. (A few minutes later the announcer challengend him to return it, referring to "the guy in the Liverpool jersey"). :B)

#2 evertonfc07

evertonfc07
  • First Team
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

He's no Jose Baxter. :thumb:

#3 The Hand of Dom

The Hand of Dom
  • Supporter
  • 6,484 posts
  • Supports:Peterborough United

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:20 PM

Its quite well known that the White Pele is infact our very own George Boyd.

#4 Accident

Accident

Champions of the Light, Justice and all that is holy.

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:25 PM

He was outstanding, I have to give it to him. For such a young lad, he was incredibly composed and assured on the ball. Eye for a pass, and his range of passing are superb.

Let's wait and see how he turns out!

#5 anaconda

anaconda
  • First Team
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

I watched the game and Jack Wilshere as a football player is the dogs cajones and him and John Bostock could take England to the next level in a few years time IMO

#6 Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton
  • First Team
  • 763 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:38 PM

Funny how this nonsense game completely changed my mood for the new season.
There is so much more quality coming through than ever before, and I really can´t be bothered by Flamini´s or Hleb´s departure.
If we manage to hold on to any 3-4 players older than 22 over the next few years we might even win something!

#7 evertonfc07

evertonfc07
  • First Team
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

I watched the game and Jack Wilshere as a football player is the dogs cajones and him and John Bostock could take England to the next level in a few years time IMO

Do they play in the same age group as Jose Baxter?

#8 St.Hugh

St.Hugh
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

Wait, Pele wasn't white :unsure:

#9 anaconda

anaconda
  • First Team
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:14 PM

Do they play in the same age group as Jose Baxter?

Yes they could play in the same England U17's team as Jose Baxter because all three of them only turned 16 years old at the begining of the year but for some reason the FA chose to play Jack Wilshere and John Bostock a year above there age group but kept Jose Baxter back for last years School Boy Victory Shield Tournament even though he did play in the same team as them in the same tournament the season before

#10 Buzzer

Buzzer
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 184 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:15 PM

Theo Walcott is the white Pele.

#11 Toaster

Toaster
  • First Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 09:35 PM

Theo Walcott is the white Pele.

He's not white either :D

#12 Slightly Damp Shrew

Slightly Damp Shrew
  • First Team
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:45 PM

Watching Wilshere play, there's no chance in hell I'd ever say he was 16. An advanced 19 year old perhaps, but to be so comfortable on the ball, beating people, making intelligent runs, and to have such vision so young is almost unheard of.

I remember reading an interview with Wenger at the start of last season, and asked about signing home grown players he replied that he of course wanted to, but the price wasn't right. Then went on to say that there were a couple of English youngsters in our under 16's that were so exceptional that they didn't have anything left to learn technically, and he was confident that they'd go on to be real superstars of the national team. I took it with a pinch of salt at the time, but really, from what I've seen of Wilshere so far I can't disagree.

#13 Dalglish

Dalglish
  • First Team
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 11:47 PM

This guy is the most complete 16 year old I ever had the pleasure to watch.

Well at least thats one more going on 'The List'.

:lol: :lol:

#14 gunner til i die

gunner til i die
  • First Team
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:07 AM

He will be a superstar, he has fanstastic attributes and is only 16, although you cant read to much into this Burger land game. But he has also played well in the other 2 friendlies, something special this guy is.

#15 JJ-AV

JJ-AV
  • First Team
  • 783 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 09:31 AM

White Pelé?

That'd be Harry Forrester.

Edited by jjlobban, 29 July 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#16 anaconda

anaconda
  • First Team
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

Arsenal are currently playing VFB Stuttgart and we are currently 3-1 up with Jack Wilshere getting the third and even though he is still only just 16 years old he is giving VFB Stuttgart a footballing lesson this kid is going to be a world beater IMO

#17 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 07:59 PM

I have to agree Anaconda. Every game I see with him, he looks so assured. As i said in the pre-sason thread, he looks like a 26 year old the way he plays, not a 16 year old.

Future of England, I am very confident.

#18 Storzy

Storzy
  • First Team
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:19 PM

Wilshere looks so good, this is my first real look at him and from what I was told I was expecting something Cescesque. While the potential is similar he's much more comfortable out wide and running with the ball than Cesc, although he doesn't have Cesc's uncanny footballing brain. He could be something special and probably very unique, at least by this countries standard. Anything could happen but it's very hard to not get excited by his potential as both an Arsenal fan and an England one.

That's what I just said in the pre-season thread and I can't help thinking we are all jinxing him :shutup: :unsure:

#19 Toaster

Toaster
  • First Team
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:35 PM

I think you Gunners are jumping the gun a little here, he's 16 ffs! and hasn't been used in any competitive game of note for Arsenal, give the kid a chance to develop and maybe he'll get a spot on the bench for the Carling cup, otherwise the pressure piled on him by the fans could send him the other way and he'll turn into another Arturo Lupoli.

Lets just hope he's the level headed type and won't be affected by people hyping him up before he's even begun, he's still in nappies ffs!

#20 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

I could almost guess your response would be negative Toaster.

We aren't hyping him up beyond what we should, he's looked excellent every game he's played, he tore up the reserves and he's made the step up with ease. He's got a great brain, superb close control, can shoot, and is tough too.
However, I don't think any reasonable Arsenal fans would say he was ready for the first team regularly. I expect to see him in the Carling Cup next season, as with all youth players and new transfers, and maybe the odd appearance if we are winning a game we can't lose.

But from his potential, it is clear the lad is going to be a world beater, at least in my eyes. You can doubt it if you want, but in the future he'll be what the England team is desperately, desperately needing.

#21 Storzy

Storzy
  • First Team
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

I think you Gunners are jumping the gun a little here, he's 16 ffs! and hasn't been used in any competitive game of note for Arsenal, give the kid a chance to develop and maybe he'll get a spot on the bench for the Carling cup, otherwise the pressure piled on him by the fans could send him the other way and he'll turn into another Arturo Lupoli.

Lets just hope he's the level headed type and won't be affected by people hyping him up before he's even begun, he's still in nappies ffs!

Your right, but this all we got now. Go back to your boring Premier League and Champions League trophies and let us bask in the only success we get, producing good youngsters.

#22 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:46 PM

Your right, but this all we got now. Go back to your boring Premier League and Champions League trophies and let us bask in the only success we get, producing good youngsters.

:lol:

Who needs trophies... :unsure:

#23 anaconda

anaconda
  • First Team
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

He is a very very very level headed kid and i am not hyping him up because anybody who watches him play the game can see he is a special talent, as for whether he is ready to play for the Arsenal first team yet, i believe that technically he is but Arsene Wenger will not play him yet because he will not want the media to jump all over him like they have done with Theo Walcott and Wayne Rooney in the past, and i expect that Arsene Wenger will keep in the reserves for most of the season with him playing in the Carling Cup along side our other young players but he will gradually introduce him to first team football at the back end of the season IMO

Edited by anaconda, 30 July 2008 - 08:53 PM.

#24 St.Hugh

St.Hugh
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:32 PM

I don't like hyping up young players, regardless of how talented they are.

If Wilshere makes it, then fine feel free to start threads about him being world class.

I see little point in hyping him up now, what is this thread trying to achieve by comparing him to Pele?

A lot of thest talents fall on their face for a number of reasons.

#25 gunner til i die

gunner til i die
  • First Team
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:41 PM

scores again today against Stuttgart... oh and vela is a sup;erstar, a goal and an assist. Gooners beat stuttgart 3-1.

#26 bigcitylights

bigcitylights
  • First Team
  • 6,074 posts
  • Supports:Northampton Town FC

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:43 PM

Mentioned this kid a few weeks back.

One word... wow. Are our youth systems finally churning out some decent Youngsters?

His goal tonight -

#27 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

It was a lovely move, and good technique for the finish.

I love how we are slated left right and centre when we aren't bringing through young English talents, then when we are proud to show that we actually have a midfielder who will fill exactly the role England is missing in the future, we still get slated ;)

#28 Avatar

TFF Fantasy Football Champion 13/14

• First Team
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:16 PM

I love how we are slated left right and centre when we aren't bringing through young English talents, then when we are proud to show that we actually have a midfielder who will fill exactly the role England is missing in the future, we still get slated ;)

didnt you know? Arsene Wenger is single handedly responsible for developing players for the england squad.

#29 Hermann

Hermann

-

• First Team
  • 15,309 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:40 AM

I don't like hyping up young players, regardless of how talented they are.
If Wilshere makes it, then fine feel free to start threads about him being world class.
I see little point in hyping him up now, what is this thread trying to achieve by comparing him to Pele?
A lot of thest talents fall on their face for a number of reasons.

He's English so you speak negative of him, what a surprise.

Edited by Hermann, 31 July 2008 - 02:46 AM.

#30 Magoo

Magoo

Really br00tlz

• Early Bath (Banned)
  • 2,817 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 03:06 AM

Ive only just realised he was 16.

I thought he was about 19, and "Wow, hes a very good talent, he seems like he plays older than he actually is"

The boys class. Absolutley shit hot.

Im gonna try and catch the reserves when we play arseholes, i wanna see him close up.

#31 anaconda

anaconda
  • First Team
  • 10,319 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:55 AM

Ive only just realised he was 16. i wanna see him close up.

You pervert :lol: :thumb:

#32 andy villa

andy villa

kiss my arris...

• First Team
  • 17,384 posts
  • Supports:aston villa

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

there are a few coming through the different academies...

harry forrester is another talented midfielder with lots of technique and ability at the villa...

pleased that wengers ethos has filtered down to the academy at les gooners... we might have to thank the parker looking frenchy in a few years time when other clubs have to start copying his model...

:P

#33 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:24 AM

there are a few coming through the different academies...

harry forrester is another talented midfielder with lots of technique and ability at the villa...

pleased that wengers ethos has filtered down to the academy at les gooners... we might have to thank the parker looking frenchy in a few years time when other clubs have to start copying his model...

:P

It pleases me that he is instilling his ethos, as you say, in the very young players, as it is creating players with amazing technique, which is something the national team severly lacks at times. He reminds me of Messi in the way he runs, he has very good close control, and despite being a midget, his balance and turn of speed is superb. Similarly to Messi, he also has a low centre of gravity, so despite not being that strong, he can hold of challenges well.

I'm not comparing him to Messi before anyone says anything, I'm simply saying his playing style is fairly similar, which is something the national team is in dire need of - Flair and technique, and skill on the ball. He's an exciting prospect, and I'm looking forward to when a few of these very promising youngsters across the country start coming through. (This Nathan Delfounso (?) I'm quite interested in, as all Villa fans speak quite highly of him.)

Hopefully one day if these youths fullfill their potential and slot inside the experienced members of the team, we might have a good national squad.

#34 Storzy

Storzy
  • First Team
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:25 AM

Surely not Andy Villa!? Wenger is single handedly responsible for ruining the English national team since 1966 with all his nasty foreigners.

#35 andy villa

andy villa

kiss my arris...

• First Team
  • 17,384 posts
  • Supports:aston villa

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

delfouneso is one of the most exciting prospects we have had in our academy in my lifetime...

he really is a bit special in my opinion...

#36 Chris89

Chris89
  • First Team
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

lad is going to be a world beater, at least in my eyes. You can doubt it if you want, but in the future he'll be what the England team is desperately, desperately needing.

Bang on, I think.

If there's one position England haven't been able to fill since Scholes retired, its been the midfield playmaker.

The hype surrounding Lampard and Gerrard was always somewhat justified by their individual brilliance, and goal-scoring, but when was the last time England were able to field a geuine central playmaker? Somebody who hands out assists for fun? The closest thing for a long time has been Beckham - but I always found it hilarious that when McClaren dropped him, people wondered why we lacked any real goal threat. Without a playmaker, a regular source of creativity and imagination, England have been so stale and blunt in attack it's been painful to watch.

Lampard and Gerrard are two very direct players. They get the ball, they run, they shoot. But where's the Deco, the Fabregas, the Scholes, etc?

If Wilshire does fill that void, and I'm sure any body who's watched him will feel he can, then I think England fans' prayers have been answered.

Edited by Chris89, 31 July 2008 - 01:23 PM.

#37 St.Hugh

St.Hugh
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 3,674 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

He's English so you speak negative of him, what a surprise.

I didn't even know he was English.

I don't like the hyping up of any talents, if they turn out to be world class then fine, but if they don't it may be as a result of too much pressure at a young age.

If he is as good as Arsenal fans say he is, then we'll see him more often and won't have to judge him on friendly matches.

#38 Spireite_UK

Spireite_UK
  • Supporter
  • 10,993 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

He looks a good young talent but is at entirely the wrong club to be nurtured. He's neither black, nor foreign, he's no chance the poor boy. His best club would be Man Utd, or one of the chasing pack where he will regularly get a game.

Edited by Spireite_UK, 31 July 2008 - 01:18 PM.

#39 Accident

Accident

• First Team
  • 13,964 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

He looks a good young talent but is at entirely the wrong club to be nurtured. He's neither black, nor foreign, he's no chance the poor boy. His best club would be Man Utd, or one of the chasing pack where he will regularly get a game.

Pathetic. I mean, that is really, really pathetic, especially if you actually believe that :lol:

#40 Chris89

Chris89
  • First Team
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'd say Arsenal are the best club of the big four to be with if you're young. Wenger certainly gives youth more of a chance than the other managers. I don't really buy into your theory (or joke?) about Wenger's policy on white English players.

I'm sure Wilshire will turn up in the Carling Cup this year, as will Randall, and Lansbury. If any of them do a Bentley I wouldn't call it Wenger's fault.