72 replies to this topic

#1 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts
  • Supports:Darlington

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Hearing that Purcell is coming in on trial with a view to a long term loan if he proves his fitness.

For those that don't know of him, the mercurial Irishman signed for Darlo from Shamrock Rovers in January 2010, and despite being in the worst L2 team ever, promptly shone and looked a hell of a player out wide or up front, scoring 9 goals in 20 appearnces for a hopeless team.

We got relegated and obviously wanted to keep him but a number of L2 teams fancied him and he eventually chose Northampton, but disaster struck when he picked up a serious knee injury just two or three matches into August.

Obviously this should go in the rumours thread, but Purcell is so good when fit he deserves his own thread.

#2 Luke Imp

Luke Imp
  • First Team
  • 17,819 posts
  • Supports:Lincoln City

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'm sure Northampton fans said he wasn't back in training until November time?

#3 Iain Dowie

Iain Dowie
  • First Team
  • 215 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

To quote you Quakerz..."who?"

#4 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

He's definitely doing the pre-season training at the moment. Not sure what his fitness is like, but he seems to be running about alright.

In two minds about this. I don't think he'd be in contention for a place this season with our options, so it'd be good to get him off the wage bill as I imagine he's on a decent wack. But I'm still disappointed that we never really saw him get going. Before his injury he had a few cameo appearances and looked quite raw, but I would have liked to see him given a run this season.

All the best to him anyway.

Also, I'm sure Darlo fans were dismissing his ability when it was clear we were close to signing him....

Edited by NTFC Army, 09 July 2011 - 01:19 PM.
''

#5 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:22 PM

He's definitely doing the pre-season training at the moment. Not sure what his fitness is like, but he seems to be running about alright.

In two minds about this. I don't think he'd be in contention for a place this season with our options, so it'd be good to get him off the wage bill as I imagine he's on a decent wack. But I'm still disappointed that we never really saw him get going. Before his injury he had a few cameo appearances and looked quite raw, but I would have liked to see him given a run this season.

All the best to him anyway.

Also, I'm sure Darlo fans were dismissing his ability when it was clear we were close to signing him....

I'm quite sure that you are completely wrong.

#6 Luke Imp

Luke Imp
  • First Team
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:02 PM

Q didn't seem too arsed on here when he left.

Highly likely to become our second signing of the season in the next 2/3 days.

Opinions?

He's OK, nothing more nothing less.

#7 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Fuck me, found out. Posted Image

It was just "bantaaah"

Next on the to do list - start banning Lincoln City supporters.

#8 davidimp

davidimp
  • First Team
  • 3,171 posts
  • Supports:The Imps and Spurs

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

Fuck me, found out. Posted Image

It was just "bantaaah"

Next on the to do list - start banning Lincoln City supporters.

You love us really!Posted Image
Luke will keep you on your toesPosted Image
Go on admit it you've missed usPosted Image

#9 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

I certainly have actually - proper club, proper fans - it's just a shame that nathanjackson and Sid are no longer around.

Although Sid talked shite he was by all accounts a nice lad and always entertained us with stories of meeting up with board members and giving them medals, and getting his tits out. Legend.

Nathan Jackson was knowledgeable, good at having stealth digs at other clubs wrapped around facts that couldn't easily be disputed and could annoy people as much as I do.

#10 Frealaf

Frealaf
  • First Team
  • 10,351 posts
  • Supports:Grimsby town

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

A player that shone in the worst league 2 side ever deserves his own thread? we will have a pre-season friendly match thread next........

#11 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:55 PM

Lol @ 'banter'. Just goes to show how utterly fickle most fans are.

#12 Son of Cod

Son of Cod

All about the good time vibes

• Legends
  • 19,202 posts
  • Supports:Grimsby Town

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Rule number 6 of the Non-League forum: Don't believe Quakerz.

#13 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

Lol @ 'banter'. Just goes to show how utterly fickle most fans are.

Hardly slagged him off though did I?

#14 davidimp

davidimp
  • First Team
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

I certainly have actually - proper club, proper fans - it's just a shame that nathanjackson and Sid are no longer around.

Although Sid talked shite he was by all accounts a nice lad and always entertained us with stories of meeting up with board members and giving them medals, and getting his tits out. Legend.

Nathan Jackson was knowledgeable, good at having stealth digs at other clubs wrapped around facts that couldn't easily be disputed and could annoy people as much as I do.

Wish you were still at Feethams too, miss going into the town and having a bit of a pub crawl.
Shan't be coming to your new plastic ground been once not for me off to the cricket at Trent Bridge instead.

Sid has disappeared off our boards too, bit worried about him as he did have a bit of incident at the final game. I did hear one of our other legendary fans 'Fat Kid' is in jail following one drunk and disorderly episode too many.
Yeah I sometimes wonder if you and Nathan are distantly related!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

Never suggested you did, actually had no idea what your stance on him was before or after.

Still, there's a clearly a big difference between 'hell of a player' to just 'OK', and proves my original recollection that generally a lot of Darlo fans had a massive shift in opinion on him.

Well played to the Lincoln chap who showed you up for being 'completely wrong'.

Edited by NTFC Army, 09 July 2011 - 03:43 PM.
''

#16 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:12 PM

I wasn't "completely wrong". I said he was "OK, nothing more, nothing less" - saying someone is OK is admitting that they are, well, OK, rather than dismissing their talent.

#17 Conker

Conker
  • Supporter
  • 7,707 posts
  • Supports:Mansfield

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

A player that shone in the worst league 2 side ever deserves his own thread? we will have a pre-season friendly match thread next........

:lol:

I agree theres some right shit on here.

#18 Welly_Cobb

Welly_Cobb
  • First Team
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:Northampton

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:05 PM

Unless Darlington are going to pay all or the firm majority of his wages, I can't see whats exactly in it for us? His contract is up at the end of the season, so it's not like its to a view of developing him. It just weakens our striking options.

#19 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

Frees up the wage bill. We don't need more than four strikers, and since Billy was offered a new deal....

#20 Welly_Cobb

Welly_Cobb
  • First Team
  • 1,047 posts
  • Supports:Northampton

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

How much of the wage bill will Darlo currently be able to pay for last year marquee signing? They've not got the league payment we do from TV money, and the crowds are way below what they used to be, just under 2000. Not sure if they'd be able to cover the majority of the wages we pay him, especially for someone coming back to fitness after a year long injury.

Unless it was a quick 3-6 month loan or Purcell was given a contract extension, I can't see the benefits of it to us at all.

#21 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

Missed the part about it being a loan.

I just get the impression he isn't in Johnson's plans, having five strikers on the books is excessive and a waste of the budget. But you're right, if we are to get rid it may as well be permanently, and I'd imagine they'll be plenty in League Two willing to take him on.

#22 JaketheStag

JaketheStag
  • First Team
  • 2,504 posts
  • Supports:Mansfield Town.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 10:44 PM

Ive never even heard of him and he gets his own thread?

#23 Jemfy

Jemfy
  • First Team
  • 5,726 posts
  • Supports:Diamonds

Posted 10 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Surely everyone else can see what the game is here? Give him 6 months, Northamtpon watch him when he plays towards the end of it. If they don't want to keep him then they offer him to Darlo for a small fee in January to make something back on him, if they do then they give him the chance to shine in L2. Should he play well for them I'm sure Johnson (or whoever is the manager at the time) would have no problems convincing Mr Cardoza to part with a bit extra cash for his wages.

#24 adam_lcfc

adam_lcfc
  • First Team
  • 1,823 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Imps

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

Opinions?

:thumb:Fantastic dedication to the cause Luke. How long did it take you to find that!?

Quakerz::doh:

#25 adam_lcfc

adam_lcfc
  • First Team
  • 1,823 posts
  • Supports:The Mighty Imps

Posted 10 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

Wish you were still at Feethams too, miss going into the town and having a bit of a pub crawl.
Shan't be coming to your new plastic ground been once not for me off to the cricket at Trent Bridge instead.

Sid has disappeared off our boards too, bit worried about him as he did have a bit of incident at the final game. I did hear one of our other legendary fans 'Fat Kid' is in jail following one drunk and disorderly episode too many.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Sid posted on Vitals today/yesterday on the DNG thread - he posts as SuperRed10. You can just tell his posts - he has an 'individual' way of writing.

#26 JaketheStag

JaketheStag
  • First Team
  • 2,504 posts
  • Supports:Mansfield Town.

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

Fat linky isnt in jail anymore, he was at Renuth yesterday!

#27 Luke Imp

Luke Imp
  • First Team
  • 17,819 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:36 PM

Opinions?

:thumb:Fantastic dedication to the cause Luke. How long did it take you to find that!?

Quakerz::doh:

All of 15 seconds or so!

#28 DustCobb

DustCobb
  • First Team
  • 1,773 posts
  • Supports:Northampton Town

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:04 PM

Purcell won't go anywhere, he's doing full pre season with our squad and will be considered for every game. No point in loaning him out because we need him.

#29 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

And you know this how?

#30 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Because he's OK.

#31 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Who's OK? Purcell or DustCobb?

End of the day, there must be something in it because our local press wouldn't just pluck it out of thin air.

#32 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Purcell. Nothing more, nothing less.

#33 NTFC Army

NTFC Army
  • First Team
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sorry, my mistake, I actually meant it's because he's a hell of a player.

#34 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Arf.

#35 davidimp

davidimp
  • First Team
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

Posted ImagePosted Image

Sid posted on Vitals today/yesterday on the DNG thread - he posts as SuperRed10. You can just tell his posts - he has an 'individual' way of writing.

Saw he had posted first time for a while, maybe he's been away on hols?
As more of us will be buying the NLP for the new season we can steal his thunder on NL players to look out forPosted Image
One off is SidPosted Image

#36 wrexham_lager

wrexham_lager
  • First Team
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:43 AM

how do you pronounce his first name?

#37 Son of Cod

Son of Cod

All about the good time vibes

• Legends
  • 19,202 posts
  • Supports:Grimsby Town

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:47 AM

how do you pronounce his first name?

I think it's "Teeg". This could be one for Alty to answer though...

#38 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:23 AM

"Tie"+"g" = "Tieg" - how it is supposed to be pronounced is like "tiger" without the "er"

#39 Trotty

Trotty
  • First Team
  • 1,097 posts
  • Supports:Northampton Town FC

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

We've let Billy McKay leave to get first team football so I can't see this deal being on at the moment unless we have another striker coming in.

#40 Quakerz

Quakerz

Spammer

• Legends
  • 17,299 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:28 AM

Well he is at Darlo on trial right now and training with us.