503 replies to this topic

#1 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts
  • Supports:notts county (r)

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

Well, with the division seemingly having five teams who are much better than the rest, the battle for sixth place looks like being particularly interesting this year with a load of average sides feeling they have a chance of making it. There was a point a few weeks ago when Stevenage looked like they might run away with it, but a combination of their FA Cup run, a lack of goals and the end of Gary Smith's honeymoon period have thrown things wide open again. The four main contenders are:-

Stevenage

Stevenage are probably the favourites to grab sixth and rightly so - they've had a stunning debut season in League One. They even looked like they might challenge for second place at one point, but their form has tailed off slightly over the last couple of weeks. Coupled with an amazing FA Cup run (they face Spurs in a fifth round replay next week), things couldn't have gone much better and all of this despite manager Graham Westley leaving for Preston.

Why will they make it? - They're comfortably the most consistent of the contenders, having hit form a couple of months into the season. If they can continue that form until the end of the campaign, then it will almost certainly be them who finished in sixth place. They also have a watertight defence, the third best in the division, and a goal difference that is so far ahead of their rivals that it is basically worth an extra point. They also have a favourable run in, with just one of the top five left to play and two home games against key play-off rivals to come at Broadhall Way. This could also be seen as a negative though, Stevenage's record against bottom half sides is average at best and just the 14th best in the division. It is against top half sides where they have flourished, with the division's 3rd best record.

Why won't they make it? - The sheer amount of games they are likely to have to play in a short period of time. The FA Cup run has been brilliant but left them with a fixture back log that will leave them behind all of their rivals following their replay at Tottenham. March is likely to make or break their season, with eight games in just four weeks, none of which look particularly sticky. If Stevenage end March in sixth, they are likely to stay there until the end. New boss Gary Smith is still unproven in the job though and is going through his first sticky period as Stevenage manager. Their small squad will also be pushed to the limit - injuries to key players are likely to affect Stevenage more than any of their rivals.

Recent Form

28 Feb - 2-2 Huddersfield Town H
25 Feb - 0-2 Charlton Athletic A
22 Feb - 0-1 Notts County A
14 Feb - 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday A
24 Jan - 4-2 Milton Keynes H

Their Run-in:-

3 Mar - Exeter City A
10 Mar - Chesterfield H
13 Mar - Oldham Athletic H
17 Mar - Hartlepool United A
20 Mar - Colchester United H
24 Mar - Walsall A
27 Mar - Bournemouth H
31 Mar - Wycombe Wanderers H
6 Apr - Tranmere Rovers A
9 Apr - Preston North End H
14 Apr - Yeovil Town A
21 Apr - Brentford H
28 Apr - Sheffield United A
5 May - Bury H
TBA - Carlisle United H

Carlisle United

Carlisle United are the side who have been closest to Stevenage throughout recent weeks, despite a patchy season that has seen United ship goals and receive a few hammerings in League One. They score goals, but also concede them at an alarming rate, something that has to stop if they are to seal sixth place. At present, they look to be second favourites for sixth place after Stevenage.

Why will they make it? - They score plenty of goals - the highest average per game of all the play-off contenders. They are also strong at Brunton Park and are unbeaten on home soil since September, something which bodes well with seven home games yet to come.

Why won't they make it? - At no point this season have Carlisle been able to put a consistent run of results together. It is simply by their inconsistency throwing up the odd win that they remain in the hunt. They also struggle defensively, with the seventh worst record in the league, and away from Brunton Park. Away trips to Stevenage and Notts County could prove crucial. The run-in has also not been kind to Carlisle, with four of the top five yet to play on top of trips to both of their closest rivals for sixth spot. If they're to do it, Greg Abbott's side have to tighten up and improve their away form.

Recent Form

25 Feb - 3-2 Yeovil Town H
20 Feb - 0-4 Brentford A
14 Feb - 0-0 Tranmere Rovers H
4 Feb - 2-1 Chesterfield H
28 Jan - 0-4 Hartlepool United A

3 Mar - Notts County A
6 Mar - Rochdale H
10 Mar - Bury H
17 Mar - Bournemouth A
20 Mar - Preston North End H
24 Mar - Colchester United A
27 Mar - Milton Keynes A
31 Mar - Huddersfield Town H
6 Apr - Wycombe Wanderers A
9 Apr - Scunthorpe United H
14 Apr - Charlton Athletic H
21 Apr - Sheffield Wednesday A
28 Apr - Exeter City H
5 May - Oldham Athletic A
TBC - Stevenage A

Notts County

It's been an odd season for the Magpies, who started on fire and were troubling the automatic promotion spots after two months. A run of just one league win in sixteen games saw them drop to below mid-table until five wins in six, either side of the sacking of Martin Allen and appointment of Keith Curle, put them right back in the hunt. Having played two more games than the other contenders, they are outsiders, but a favourable run in and good home form means that they have a chance, probably as third favourites.

Why will they make it? - The Magpies may just be hitting form at the right time, with five wins out of six and three out of three without conceding a goal under new manager Keith Curle. They are very strong at Meadow Lane, with the fifth best home record in the league, which is a good sign as they have more home games left than away. Their run-in is also fairly kind, with just three of the top five left to play and two of those at Meadow Lane. They also have to face Carlisle and Brentford and will be confident thanks to their fine record against fellow play-off contenders this season, having already doubled Stevenage.

Why won't they make it? - Having played two more games than the other three sides in contention, there will be a lot of relying on other results for Notts. On the other hand, this could give them the edge when fatigue starts to really play a part. There can also be no falling into the sort of run that saw Martin Allen sacked, either. Notts have also struggled to keep clean sheets until recently and have also struggled for points away from Meadow Lane.

Recent Form

28 Feb - 1-0 Rochdale A
25 Feb - 1-0 Chesterfield H
22 Feb - 1-0 Stevenage H
18 Feb - 0-3 Hartlepool United A
14 Feb - 2-1 Exeter City H

3 Mar - Carlisle United H
6 Mar - Tranmere Rovers A
10 Mar - Charlton Athletic A
17 Mar - Sheffield Wednesday H
20 Mar - Sheffield United H
24 Mar - Scunthorpe United A
31 Mar - Oldham Athletic H
6 Apr - Leyton Orient A
9 Apr - Yeovil Town H
14 Apr - Brentford A
21 Apr - Bury H
28 Apr - Wycombe Wanderers A
5 May - Colchester United H

Brentford

Brentford are the other side who will feel they have a genuine chance of contention, sitting five points behind the other three and with two games in hand on Notts County. The Bees have been consistently inconsistent all season, starting on fire away from Griffin Park and struggling to pick up points at home, something which has now been reversed entirely. A strong defence gives them a platform to build from, but they are probably outsiders.

Why will they make it? - Brentford have rarely been talked about as play-off contenders and it is hardly rare for a team to shoot out of nowhere and steal the last play-off place. They certainly have a talented side, having been tipped by many for a tilt at the play-offs in pre-season. They need more goals from the likes of Clayton Donaldson and to refind their away form of the early season, but shouldn't be discounted yet. Their run in is decent, with just three of the top five to face and two six-pointers to claw back some ground.

Why won't they make it? - They are the side who are playing catch up and can't really afford to fall much further behind. They have struggled to string together results all season and need to hit some real form if they are going to do it. As with Carlisle and Stevenage, they also have a lot of games to play in a short period of times, which could catch up with them. Consecutive games against Notts County and Stevenage could define their season.

Recent Form

25 Feb - 0-0 Scunthorpe United A
20 Feb - 4-0 Carlisle United H
14 Feb - 1-2 Colchester United A
28 Jan - 5-2 Wycombe Wanderers H
21 Jan - 2-3 Huddersfield Town A

Their Run-in

3 Mar - Yeovil Town A
6 Mar - Exeter City H
10 Mar - Sheffield United H
17 Mar - Leyton Orient A
20 Mar - Bournemouth A
24 Mar - Rochdale H
27 Mar - Preston North End A
31 Mar - Milton Keynes A
3 Apr - Oldham Athletic H
7 Apr - Bury H
9 Apr - Hartlepool United A
14 Apr - Notts County H
21 Apr - Stevenage A
28 Apr - Sheffield Wednesday H
5 May - Chesterfield A

Other teams who may make it with a good run - Bournemouth, Hartlepool, Colchester, Preston

The Maths

If the four teams involved average the points per game against teams from the top/bottom half that they have so far, the table will finish as such:-

Carlisle United 74
Stevenage 73
Notts County 69
Brentford 66

Edited by jacobncfc, 29 February 2012 - 02:24 AM.

#2 Travelling Blade

Travelling Blade

An OAP Blade, but not retired

• Legends
  • 2,495 posts
  • Supports:Sheffield United

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Great post and Analysis.

Stevenage look the strongest with (on current form) what looks the easiest run in.

Carlisle look to have a tough run-in right at the end of the season (April), being Home to Charlton & Away to Wednesday

Notts County have a very tough next five matches

Whilst Brentford will be tested with both Sheffield clubs (as Notts County) at Home during the run-in.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on Stevenage clinching it, and then them going on to win the Play-offs (tree consecutive promotions).

#3 Mark_AFCB

Mark_AFCB

Up The Cherries

• 10,991 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:42 AM

A couple of weeks ago we would have been in this thread, not now! :(

Anyway, there's sometimes one team who comes totally from left field and Notts would certainly fit that description. I bet the criticism of Mr Trew has quietened down somewhat!

#4 Droo

Droo

Playing football the Derry way

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 5,350 posts
  • Supports:Notts County

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

We're not strong enough.

I'd love us to be involved, especially as I was 9 the last time we got into the playoffs, but we're just not ready to go up this year.

Stevenage are my favourites too, but who knows!

#5 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 15,796 posts
  • Supports:Alcatraz United

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

lets be fair though notts are just going through 'change of manager boost' at present, it could last a while or it could suddenly collapse after a defeat or two...............we don't yet fully know what Curle can do reacting to a bad situation.

Stevenage i think is the most unpredictable as we keep assuming a collapse is coming and it doesn't. I dont go with cup runs having an effect myself Swindon a good example of how one can push on the other if momentum is there, but they are on a slide at present, mostly down to a tough run of games, but will they be able to react when easier games arrive, that we'll know in the next few games, Exeter and Chesterfield teams struggling this season then an out of form Oldham.....they bounce back strongly and i'd say they may keep on track, they fail to react and hmmm maybe the slide we all expect from them has arrived.

Brentford is the side i keep expecting to get among the pack, but they seem to be putting in the whacky season of all teams, good then bad results. Their run is good so i think of the 4 sides if.......and its a big if, if they can finally start to beat these sides i think they are my favorites for it.

as for us, well................our defence is out problem more than anything else, we're heading for over 70 goals conceeded this season, peterborough showed it can be done but we need miller around all rest of season to keep our attack as strong as possible.............Abbott has the last 2 years just let our team off the shackles once safe, which we achieved at the weekend so that may help, it depends oninjuries though as we've no back-up at all.

is other things though i thinnk us and Stevenage are playing with zero pressure, neither expected near top 6 and neither had a decent budget to expect it, I think pressure is alot more on Notts and Brentford to get top 6 than Carlisle and Stevenage which may help towards the end.

but at same time i think Stevenage and Carlisle will suffer worse if they lose just 1-2 of their starting 11, which may well be possible when we get into the frantic, higher tempo, bigger ore important games of the final run.

#6 TonyRigby

TonyRigby
  • First Team
  • 2,856 posts
  • Supports:Bury

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:08 PM

lets be fair though notts are just going through 'change of manager boost' at present, it could last a while or it could suddenly collapse after a defeat or two...............we don't yet fully know what Curle can do reacting to a bad situation.

Stevenage i think is the most unpredictable as we keep assuming a collapse is coming and it doesn't. I dont go with cup runs having an effect myself Swindon a good example of how one can push on the other if momentum is there, but they are on a slide at present, mostly down to a tough run of games, but will they be able to react when easier games arrive, that we'll know in the next few games, Exeter and Chesterfield teams struggling this season then an out of form Oldham.....they bounce back strongly and i'd say they may keep on track, they fail to react and hmmm maybe the slide we all expect from them has arrived.

Brentford is the side i keep expecting to get among the pack, but they seem to be putting in the whacky season of all teams, good then bad results. Their run is good so i think of the 4 sides if.......and its a big if, if they can finally start to beat these sides i think they are my favorites for it.

as for us, well................our defence is out problem more than anything else, we're heading for over 70 goals conceeded this season, peterborough showed it can be done but we need miller around all rest of season to keep our attack as strong as possible.............Abbott has the last 2 years just let our team off the shackles once safe, which we achieved at the weekend so that may help, it depends oninjuries though as we've no back-up at all.

is other things though i thinnk us and Stevenage are playing with zero pressure, neither expected near top 6 and neither had a decent budget to expect it, I think pressure is alot more on Notts and Brentford to get top 6 than Carlisle and Stevenage which may help towards the end.

but at same time i think Stevenage and Carlisle will suffer worse if they lose just 1-2 of their starting 11, which may well be possible when we get into the frantic, higher tempo, bigger ore important games of the final run.

Its ok you have a guaranteed 3 points and clean sheet coming your way a week on saturday :lol:

#7 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

We're not strong enough.

I'd love us to be involved, especially as I was 9 the last time we got into the playoffs, but we're just not ready to go up this year.

Stevenage are my favourites too, but who knows!

We aren't, but one team is going to get sixth who isn't strong enough.

#8 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:12 PM

I'm not sure I agree with all of that, Dave.

Whilst Curle is clearly still in his honeymoon period, we had actually started winning games (and keeping clean sheets) before Allen was sacked. We may have won 5 of our last 6, but more importantly for me is that we've kept 5 clean sheets in the last 7. We've scored the sixth most goals in the league, if we can stop conceding them then it gives us a chance.

Maybe at the start of the season you would've been right about who the pressure was on (but even back then we never expected a play-off push), but now I think Stevenage are the team who the pressure is on, weirdly. An unscientific survey of unofficial messageboards says that Stevenage are the only side who now expect to make the play-offs, whilst Gary Smith was already talking about a semi-final against Huddersfield after the game last night. I don't think Carlisle, Notts or Brentford expect their team to finish 6th at this stage at all, but Stevenage do.

#9 SussexBee

SussexBee
  • First Team
  • 892 posts
  • Supports:Brentford

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:59 PM

The points different between the teams at the moment is irrelevant. It will simply come down to the team that can be consistent in the final stages will make the play-offs.Three or four points with most of the teams above playing each other at some point in six pointers means the points difference at the moment is hardly anything.
Brentfords chances are as good as any but we haven't been consistent all season and at the moment theres nothing to suggest this will change. On our day (such a predictable thing to say) we have the ability (shown against Carsisle) to beat teams well and get the results. The positive thing is we seem to have turned a corner with our home form - most of the teams above should be looking to win the home games now and get the point away from home. Saying that the next four or five games for us are hugely important. Get a result against Yeovil (team in form) on saturday to extend the unbeaten run to three games and beat Exeter at home on the Tuesday puts us in a position to really have a go against Sheffield United at home. Lose either of those and the inconsistency factor will come in again and I think you can write off our hopes. We really need a five or six game run of not loosing a game ..do that and we've got a very good chance.
The last thing I'd say is that we've got a decent squad now to compete with the two games a week we're going to face for most of the season. Some very handy loan signings and a solid back-line means we're continue to get results - just hopefully it won't be so hit and miss like it has been for much of the season.

#10 SussexBee

SussexBee
  • First Team
  • 892 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:02 PM

PS: There honestly is very few easy games towards the end of a season. Those against the teams at the bottom are a hard struggle, those against mid-table teams are always difficult due to relaxed performances that creep in and obviously those against the best teams are against the best teams ...themselves fighting for something. I don't believe there are easy run-in's or difficult ones ...it depends on the consistency and bottle of your own team.

#11 RavenBish

RavenBish

Don't Sell Haynes

• First Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • Supports:Don't even like football

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:35 PM

Fine work Jacob.

Out of the 4 you'd have to back Stevenage or Carlisle. Are they the best teams? No, I'd argue on paper they're the 3rd and 4th best team out of the 4 mentioned.

The key word is consistency. Stevenage have been there for the majority of the season and Carlisle seem to have occupied those positions above mid-table for a long time. Brentford have the team/squad to get the most points in my opinion, so do we maybe.

Can I really see Notts maintaining any sort of 'form'...No. Of course not, we wouldn't be Notts County if we could.

It is intriguing though.

Carlisle seem to possess a fairly weak defence from what I've read/seen
Brentford suffer from a similar inconsistency
Stevenage, a blip is still in sight for me. They've been lucky with injuries and the sort this season with a fairly thin squad.
Notts - you can't escape the fact we looked a poor, poor side only a matter of weeks ago.

#12 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

It's really weird. I honestly can't see any of them getting it and in any ordinary season they wouldn't, but someone has to.

We'd be nailed on if we'd have just had a poor to average run between October and January, rather than an absolutely horrific one, which is annoying.

#13 stedders

stedders
  • Supporter
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

An interesting read.
From a Brentford perspective, as stated elsewhere, our inconsistency this season has been our only consistency.

Having said that things things do seem to be settling down of late, with a couple of thumping home wins (Wycombe and Carlisle) and some tight games away from home (Colchester and Scunthorpe). Plus some useful looking acquisitions through the loan system it's not inconceivable that we could make it.

Edited by stedders, 29 February 2012 - 04:57 PM.

#14 pieeyes

pieeyes

Paul Ince Football Genius

• First Team
  • 2,661 posts
  • Supports:Sexy Pies

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Hughes missing 3 games and the impending trial will go a long way to deciding what happens here.

If he gets the ban overturned and doesn't get incarcerated then we stand a chance.

We need to keep the defence strong and consistant. Hopefully Curle will have a decent idea of who that is. What I would like to know is who is this man masquerading as Liam Chilvers? I certainly don't want to see a return of the old Liam. Similar sentiments for John Harley.

We need to keep the run going over our coming games which will be tough considering who we have to play. It's kind of make or break for us. We need to hope that Curle really is the chosen one and Ray Trew has pulled a blinder, so far from what I have seen, we have had a hell of a lot of luck.

Stevenage haven't really hit that dodgy patch yet where they have struggled for a long time to get results, it happens to every team at some point and they are certainly due one, however their run in and games in hand are favourable. It's certainly theirs to lose.

#15 stedders

stedders
  • Supporter
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

The only problem if we were to make it through to sixth place is the little matter that we are absolutely rubbish in the play-offs. I think most Brentford fans will be hiding behind the sofa rather than watch the games; it would effectively be a bye for whoever play us.

#16 Stoichkov's Son

Stoichkov's Son
  • First Team
  • 6,053 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:15 PM

I don't think we've got a chance. Once we play the better teams in the division (Charlton, Wednesday, Sheff Utd being prime examples) I think we will be found out for what we are. Which IMO is Average, but I for one am happy with being average this season, and a finish in the top half would be a good season in my eyes.

Lucky to win against Stevenage, poor against an awful Chesterfield side, and I'm not sure we looked too sh!t hot last night at Rochdale, although I only have the radio coverage to go on tbh.

Its great that hal a dozen above average sides at best can battle it out for a play off spot.

Lottery time baby, lottery time

#17 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

on the carlisle side of things for them who don't really watch us, our defence has always been shocking this season, no one is as such sure why because individually it has some talented players, but they just do not gel or are missing a huge peice of the jigsaw.

what has got us from being a bottom 6 cert (as shown by the notts game 1st match) to a top 6 contender is Miller, it's why i say he's the L1 signing of the season and possibly the L1 player of the season because he turns us from a shambolic mess who cannot crete chances, leaks goals, plays crap, to a very linked together unit which works together, presses hard, creates and scores.

its bizarre one player makes such an enormous difference, but i'm sure we've all had seasons where one player is as such your link-up guy tot he entire formation and it works/fails depending on him playing and playing well.

If Miller keeps his form up and keeps away from trouble i think going forward we'll be as strong as we have, then we just have to somehow.......someway hope to stop leaking the goals.....Miller in any way, shape or form drifts out whether by loss of form, suspension or injury and you can write us off straight away as more Brentford performances would happen (and i garantee we'd been different at Brentford with miller)

its very even, but i won't rule out whoever gets 6th having a chance of promotion because i remember the conference long while ago and Chester/Hereford both got i think 91/92 points, Chester went up, Hereford missed out but were 20 points better than the others............and as typically happens failed to go up...............play-offs are a wild-card even if the quality of us is weaker than the top 5.

#18 WhiteWitch

WhiteWitch
  • First Team
  • 171 posts
  • Supports:MK Dons

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:02 PM

its very even, but i won't rule out whoever gets 6th having a chance of promotion because i remember the conference long while ago and Chester/Hereford both got i think 91/92 points, Chester went up, Hereford missed out but were 20 points better than the others............and as typically happens failed to go up...............play-offs are a wild-card even if the quality of us is weaker than the top 5.

Totally agree that all form and previous results go out of the window for play offs. You would think that more 3rd place finishing teams have won play offs that any finishing in the other positions but I bet that isn't true.

#19 Ben_7_CUFC

Ben_7_CUFC
  • First Team
  • 1,771 posts
  • Supports:Carlisle United

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:31 AM

Our defence is a joke...

But now that Lubo Michalik has FINALLY been dropped, the Livesey Murphy pairing which was superb in 07-08 and should have got us automatic promotion, is reunited so hopefully will get a run of games together and start to gel well together.

If we can get that sorted out, in Francois Zoko and Lee Miller we have the firepower to cement 6th. Our midfield is fine, no worries there.

The defence being sorted out is a massive IF though.

#20 stedders

stedders
  • Supporter
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:39 AM

Yesterday's defeat (at Yeovil) should have been the death knell for our play off chances. It was all looking so different at half time. I suppose it could have been worse as Stevenage drew and Carlisle lost. Our defending also needs to improve.

#21 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

I can update these easier being split.

Its was Notts day yesterday, the only hope for the others was only Notts did much really. i've added in hartlepool as they jumped to 9th, but have the toughest ask really, and Colchester/Brentford keep in due to 2 games in hand on Notts which can if won take them just 2 points behind.

Results for all were:

Colchester 3-0 Preston
Exeter 1-1 Stevenage
Hartlepool 1-1 MK Dons
Notts C 2-0 Carlisle
Yeovil 2-1 Brentford

6: Notts C 52 +6
------------------------
7. Stevenage +16
8. Carlisle 49 -6
9. Hartlepool 45 -2
10.Brentford 44 +5
11. Colchester 44 -1

Notts C and Hartlepool have played 34, the rest have played 32.

current form last 6 games:

1: Notts C - 15 points out of 18
2: Colchester - 11 points out of 18
3: Stevenage - 8 points out of 18
4: Hartlepool - 8 points out of 18
5: Brentford - 7 points out of 18
6: Carlisle - 7 points out of 18

#22 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

and lastly the games this week, Stevenage are not playing, must be cup week:

Tuesday 6th March 2012
Brentford v Exeter City
Carlisle United v Rochdale
Charlton Athletic v Colchester United
Huddersfield Town v Hartlepool United
Tranmere Rovers v Notts County

#23 AnkleBiter

AnkleBiter
  • First Team
  • 2,483 posts
  • Supports:Udders

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

This is interesting, because I don't think any of them will make it, but one has to!

#24 william_death

william_death
  • First Team
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Stevenage still faves for me, but it's nice that we are keeping things interesting into March (at the right end of the table), instead of the season petering out in front of low, disinterested crowds.

#25 Franco

Franco
  • First Team
  • 3,992 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

Stevenage still faves for me, but it's nice that we are keeping things interesting into March (at the right end of the table), instead of the season petering out in front of low, disinterested crowds.

March 17th and 20th .....get something in both of them :rolleyes:

#26 dedwardp

dedwardp
  • First Team
  • 2,003 posts
  • Supports:Colchester United

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Other teams who may make it with a good run - Bournemouth, Hartlepool, Colchester, Preston

Oldham have a better chance than Bournemouth with three games in hand.

I fancied Bournemouth to make a push after January but they're on a terrible run and have blown their chance it would seem.

If we make it I would eat my hat and the next few games will no doubt kill off any slim hopes of making a push: Charlton, Wycombe, Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Stevenage and Carlisle.

That said, a few good performances and a decent return and you never know, but we'll lose at the Valley on Tuesday night and it will be all over anyway.

#27 stedders

stedders
  • Supporter
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

I would agree that.

#28 RavenBish

RavenBish

Don't Sell Haynes

• First Team
  • 15,345 posts
  • Supports:Don't even like football

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm hoping we can get a bigger gap over the next couple of weeks then I can waltz into my local bookies and lump on us not to make the play-offs.

#29 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 15,796 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

Updates, updates as a late goal makes changes to the 6th spot battle again.

Here was the results:

Tuesday 6th March 2012
Brentford 2-0 Exeter City
Carlisle United 2-1 Rochdale
Charlton Athletic 0-2 Colchester United
Huddersfield Town 1-0 Hartlepool United
Tranmere Rovers 1-1 Notts County

and the table, i think for time being the defeat boots Hartlepool out of it.

6: Notts C 53 +6
------------------------
7. Carlisle 52 -5
8. Stevenage 50 +16
9. Brentford 47 +7
10. Colchester 47 +1

Notts have played 35 games, Carlisle, Brentford and Colchester 33 games and Stevenage just 32.

and the games this weekend:

Saturday:
Brentford Vs Sheff Utd
Carlisle Vs Bury
Charlton Vs Notts C
Stevenage Vs Chesterfield
Wycombe Vs Colchester

#30 dedwardp

dedwardp
  • First Team
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:49 AM

6 Stevenage 35 16 55
7 Carlisle 35 -5 55
8 Notts County 35 6 53
9 Brentford 35 7 50
10 Colchester 35 1 50

Table with GD if you extrapolate the points per game so everyone has played 35, though obviously it won't work out like that.

Think the really frustrating thing with this season has been the fact that sixth has been so widely open for grabs for so many teams. Lots of silly little slip ups where you think you've got no chance with results like that yet, with hindsight, reverse one or two of them and you're in there with just a few games to go, it's mad.

Great result last night and you'd really hope we could go to Wycombe and carry on our really impressive current form but you can't help but think we'll now go and lose there, even more so with their result last night as well!

Edited by dedwardp, 07 March 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#31 william_death

william_death
  • First Team
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

Still in shock at our result. Sheffield double header coming up now, four points would be great.

#32 Scumarmy.

Scumarmy.

King Of The New Road.

• First Team
  • 13,314 posts
  • Supports:Milton Keynes Dons.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

Still in shock at our result. Sheffield double header coming up now, four points would be great.

Please beat the two Sheffield teams, thanks.

#33 Ibby

Ibby

@IbrahimAhmet

• First Team
  • 7,011 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

I think you can rule us out now.

#34 Ross_boro

Ross_boro
  • First Team
  • 5,647 posts
  • Supports:Stevenage

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:03 PM

After Tuesday's games I'd have made us slight favourites for the last play-off position but today's results have seen the advantage swing in favour of Carlisle/Notts. Still expect there to be a few twists and turns though.

#35 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

I've just been made slightly happier by working out who Carlisle's games in hand are against - trips to Stevenage and Milton Keynes. Yay!

#36 OutandOutOwl

OutandOutOwl
  • First Team
  • 1,292 posts
  • Supports:Sheffield Wednesday

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Are we going to get some teams wanting Sheffield Wednesday to win next weekend?

That has never happened before by any opposition fans on here

#37 william_death

william_death
  • First Team
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

I'd imagine so. This Antonio lad sounds useful?

#38 OutandOutOwl

OutandOutOwl
  • First Team
  • 1,292 posts
  • Supports:Sheffield Wednesday

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

scored 3 in last 2 so yer. We play with two wingers now rather than one like we were under Megson, so if you man mark him out of the game we hopefully won't be officially toothless like we often were when BM got marked out of game by teams before.

He is bit different to Marshall as BM was a lot about footwork and using skill and trickery to get passed his man. Antonio just seems to send the ball and then run after it. He is really quick (I'd say quicker than Marshall, but not quite as quick as Jermaine Johnson for us), although unlike BM is only really good on his right foot. He is above average player for this league I would say. Not as good as Marshall, but he will do and was great signing for us. Other teams who have had him have said he isn't very consistent though, but he hasn't let us down yet.

Should be good game next saturday. Based on your result today I think we might do well to get more than a point. It makes the hunt for the top 2 look even harder. Badly need Colchester to win midweek

Edited by OutandOutOwl, 10 March 2012 - 09:00 PM.

#39 jacobncfc

jacobncfc

one of our own

• First Team
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Anyone will do very well to win at ML. Even when we were awful we were consistently hard to beat at home and only lost one, that in farcical circumstances.

Even more of an advantage now, with us being the only team to understand the beach that we play on.

That said, hard to see us not losing to one of you two.

#40 dedwardp

dedwardp
  • First Team
  • 2,003 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:14 PM

Antonio is very useful.

Sheffield United and Huddersfield at home this week for us, tough games. If we could pull four points out of the bag somewhere then that's an excellent return and could leave us looking useful due to the fact we still have to play Carlisle, Stevenage and Notts County.

Getting those four points will no doubt prove the issue, though.