Photo

Liverpool Fans At Fault For Hillsborough According To Senior Merseyside Police Officer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CAMRAlty

CAMRAlty

Non-league football, real ale and political anorak.

• First Team
  • 17,326 posts
  • Supports:Altrincham

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17382896

#2 GodsGift

GodsGift
  • 13,686 posts
  • Supports:Lincoln & Newcastle

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Wasn't this already widely acknowledged anyway? (that the Police laid the blame with the drunken Liverpool fans I mean)

Seems to be just more confirmation of what we already knew. Surely the issue is how were these documents leaked? And does this mean more will be released in the near future?

Edited by GodsGift, 15 March 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#3 Poshcockney

Poshcockney

• Supporter
  • 9,219 posts
  • Supports:Millwall

Posted 15 March 2012 - 01:58 PM

This is just set to stir things up again. Anything but a full blame on the police will not satisfy the families or anyone else involved with Hillsborough. It is really not worth revealing the files and papers as it won't satisfy or help anyone really.

#4 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 16,110 posts
  • Supports:Alcatraz United

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

that is why i always wondered why they want to see these files PC.

i myself think the files will whack some of the blame on the fans and all it will do is lead to moans, grumbles, complaints as they won't accept them...............if they wont accept them unles they show what they want they maybe are best kept hidden and quiet.

#5 Merseyboyred

Merseyboyred

• 19,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

This is just set to stir things up again. Anything but a full blame on the police will not satisfy the families or anyone else involved with Hillsborough. It is really not worth revealing the files and papers as it won't satisfy or help anyone really.

I think you're reading it wrong. It says that at the time a senior police foficial blamed drunker fans, not that fans are to blame, that was fully established as wrong over 20 years ago. And full blame on the police isn't what will satisy them, fault has been established, it's the decisions and made behind that scenes and the reaction that they would like to find out about.

Unfortunately not surprised a police offical who wasn't there tried to lay the blame on the fans at the time, what with how football fans were viewed and treated at the time.

#6 argyle_dude

argyle_dude

Not to be taken seriously

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 12,863 posts
  • Supports:Plymouth :-)

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:17 PM

The only disappoinment is that the article didn't mention robbing scouse b******ds stealing wallets of the victims while the lay dying on the floor. You thought the BBC would have been better at this trolling lark by now, I suggest they turn to the Mail or Sun if they need advice for future articles.

#7 Pagnell

Pagnell

Caught By The River

• Admin
  • 24,820 posts
  • Supports:A wife and three kids

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

I think you're reading it wrong. It says that at the time a senior police foficial blamed drunker fans, not that fans are to blame, that was fully established as wrong over 20 years ago. And full blame on the police isn't what will satisy them, fault has been established, it's the decisions and made behind that scenes and the reaction that they would like to find out about.

Unfortunately not surprised a police offical who wasn't there tried to lay the blame on the fans at the time, what with how football fans were viewed and treated at the time.

I was going to reply but you have pretty much covered it.

#8 Poshcockney

Poshcockney

• Supporter
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:27 PM

I wasn't reading it any way or the other. Just saying that I don't understand how opening these files is going to help anyone.

The parents and families want the police to be blamed.....and then what?
If it turns out that there was some blame on a section of the crowd (I am unaware genuinely of how this was disproved 20 years ago) then what?

The inability of people to go forward in their lives unless they have someone to blame is doing them more damage than trying to come to terms with the fact their love one died. Sometimes people die and they shouldn't. Sometimes a chain of events leads to someone's death. Sometimes no one person is to blame.

#9 Super_Horns

Super_Horns

Watford Till I Die

• First Team
  • 24,896 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

Agree with that.

I know the relatives want the truth but it will probably never come out in their favour.

In a way its probably best to let those who tragically died rest in peace.

#10 Merseyboyred

Merseyboyred

• 19,892 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

In their favour? You're presuming they have a set agenda. Personally I just wanted the families to have the chance to get clear access privately, there are enough issues but those who don't have any should be allowed to find out what really happened to try to find some closure and peace.

#11 jimbobjoylove

jimbobjoylove

BOOM BOOM!

• First Team
  • 5,936 posts
  • Supports:Pack & Irons

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

In their favour? You're presuming they have a set agenda. Personally I just wanted the families to have the chance to get clear access privately, there are enough issues but those who don't have any should be allowed to find out what really happened to try to find some closure and peace.

I don't think anyone disputes that. However, what if the secret files conclude that the police - or even at least one individual liable for prosecution - say that no-one is to blame?

I realise I'm about to suggest an outcome and it's possibly based on guesswork... but if the files eventually get released (which they should regardless) and there's not enough evidence or no reason to prosecute the police or an officer I don't think the families will accept that conclusion. I think that's what PC and SH are getting at.

#12 Merseyboyred

Merseyboyred

• 19,892 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Well I'd have to disagree there. It's not a wish to prosecute, 'The Truth' is a wish to get the documents released to get the truth about the cover up and the reaction to the events on the day. Whether that would place any more blame than the Taylor report did isn't the real issue.

I also found it strange how this one small part of the thousands and thousands of documents has been leaked whilst the official release of the papers and documents relating to the aftermath and events surrounding Hillsborough has been postponed a further six months. All seems a little underhanded to me.

#13 Larry1971

Larry1971
  • First Team
  • 1,742 posts
  • Supports:West Ham & Reading

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:55 PM

I wasn't reading it any way or the other. Just saying that I don't understand how opening these files is going to help anyone.

The parents and families want the police to be blamed.....and then what?
If it turns out that there was some blame on a section of the crowd (I am unaware genuinely of how this was disproved 20 years ago) then what?

The inability of people to go forward in their lives unless they have someone to blame is doing them more damage than trying to come to terms with the fact their love one died. Sometimes people die and they shouldn't. Sometimes a chain of events leads to someone's death. Sometimes no one person is to blame.

perhaps if those people in charge that day are finally held accountable(and I don't just mean the police but also the FA (Graham Kelly apparantly refussed police requests to delay the kick off )and the cheif stewards at Hillsborough) then the families of the victims can get that sense of closure and be able to move on.

#14 Poshcockney

Poshcockney

• Supporter
  • 9,219 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

perhaps if those people in charge that day are finally held accountable(and I don't just mean the police but also the FA (Graham Kelly apparantly refussed police requests to delay the kick off )and the cheif stewards at Hillsborough) then the families of the victims can get that sense of closure and be able to move on.

The senior policeman on the day is dead. Don't think he can be accountable.

I don't think it will make one iota of difference to how they feel. Studies prove that when families see the killer of their family member jailed or put to death that the momentary feeling of euphoria is soon replaced with the same sense of loss they always had. Death is final and devastating and that doesn't change just because you catch the person supposedly responsible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users