51 replies to this topic

#1 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts
  • Supports:West Ham/Japan

Posted 27 June 2012 - 08:22 PM

What are the best and worst away support you have seen this season at your ground with pictures.

#2 Arkan

Arkan
  • First Team
  • 3,926 posts
  • Supports:Everton

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

Posted Image

#3 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:01 AM

What game is that?

#4 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts
  • Supports:EVERTON FC

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

What game is that?

Everton v Sunderland. They were giving it the big one a few weeks before about how great their away support is because they brought 6,000 down for the FA Cup game. According to their message boards they have one of the biggest away supports in the Premier League, and take far more away than we do. Then a few weeks after that cup match they brought about 700/800 to Goodison when we took 2,000 up there on Boxing Day. That picture is from the league game.

#5 TRFC_Lad

TRFC_Lad
  • First Team
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

That is shocking from Sunderlands point of view would have thought it was bolton or wigan but to be fair to them they will always have a soft spot in my heart for their promo celebrations. Had half of PP that day and to a man were brilliant.

#6 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

That is shocking from Sunderlands point of view would have thought it was bolton or wigan but to be fair to them they will always have a soft spot in my heart for their promo celebrations. Had half of PP that day and to a man were brilliant.

Yeah Sunderland have one of the best away supports because of the distance they have to travel. It's the same with Newcastle. For almost every away game they have to travel a further 100 miles than most other clubs at least. My only problem with them is when they were making out they take more away than we do which is simply not true. But that is to be expected since we're a bigger club, with a bigger fanbase and less distance to travel for the majority of away games. Their support for atmosphere is way better than ours though.

Edited by grm02, 28 June 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#7 michael_safc

michael_safc
  • First Team
  • 177 posts
  • Supports:Sunderland

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yeah Sunderland have one of the best away supports because of the distance they have to travel. It's the same with Newcastle. For almost every away game they have to travel a further 100 miles than most other clubs at least. My only problem with them is when they were making out they take more away than we do which is simply not true. But that is to be expected since we're a bigger club, with a bigger fanbase and less distance to travel for the majority of away games. Their support for atmosphere is way better than ours though.

Which is the most important thing

#8 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

I have a mixed opinion on this though. At most away games I wish we would put more effort in to backing the team vocally, because at times it's embarrasing how quiet we are. However, if we decided to make noise for the sake of it like most sets of fans do then I would rather not bother e.g England with that band - Seven Nation Army. What the fuck has that got to do with England? Also, I can probably count on the one hand where i've been at an away game like in that picture of you lot at Goodison. The vast majority of games I have been to away with Everton we have sold out the allocation and often that is the full allocation. I would hate to be an away fan of Bolton or Wigan where there away support vocally might be way better than ours but they are surrounded by empty seats week in week out.

#9 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:36 PM

I have a mixed opinion on this though. At most away games I wish we would put more effort in to backing the team vocally, because at times it's embarrasing how quiet we are. However, if we decided to make noise for the sake of it like most sets of fans do then I would rather not bother e.g England with that band - Seven Nation Army. What the fuck has that got to do with England? Also, I can probably count on the one hand where i've been at an away game like in that picture of you lot at Goodison. The vast majority of games I have been to away with Everton we have sold out the allocation and often that is the full allocation. I would hate to be an away fan of Bolton or Wigan where their away support vocally might be way better than ours but they are surrounded by empty seats week in week out.

Also can't remember us ever taking less than a 1000 to a game and i've been going away 10+ years.

Edited by grm02, 28 June 2012 - 04:37 PM.

#10 michael_safc

michael_safc
  • First Team
  • 177 posts
  • Supports:Sunderland

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Best: Everton in the cup

Worst: All of them apart from Everton in the cup

#11 TRFC_Lad

TRFC_Lad
  • First Team
  • 2,458 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

Not of another away team but to be frank who takes pics of them but us at Preston was a good laugh

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#12 Arkan

Arkan
  • First Team
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

Also can't remember us ever taking less than a 1000 to a game and i've been going away 10+ years.

Didn't we take less than 1000 to West Brom on New Years Day?

I know we didn't take many. For the first 86 minutes I was wondering why I had went myself but it was all worth it in the end.

#13 BlueSmudge

BlueSmudge

"Side by side as we sing along together..."

• First Team
  • 21,242 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

The initial allocation was just over 1,000 and we sold that. We didnt sell much more in fairness, but it was defo over 1,000.

I know Ive never known us to take less than 1,000 anywhere, the three worst I remember was that West Brom game, Sunderland away ironically on New Years Eve in 2005, on the end of a massive losing streak we took about 1,400 up there, and Chelsea away Easter 2006. Was on telly, the usual 40 odd quid a ticket, another losing streak, we'd took 3,000 on a Tuesday night in the League Cup just 6 weeks or so earlier, we didnt sell out the 1,200 or so we were given. No surprises either, we were f**ked 3-0.

#14 Arkan

Arkan
  • First Team
  • 3,926 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:10 PM

The initial allocation was just over 1,000 and we sold that. We didnt sell much more in fairness, but it was defo over 1,000.

I know Ive never known us to take less than 1,000 anywhere, the three worst I remember was that West Brom game, Sunderland away ironically on New Years Eve in 2005, on the end of a massive losing streak we took about 1,400 up there, and Chelsea away Easter 2006. Was on telly, the usual 40 odd quid a ticket, another losing streak, we'd took 3,000 on a Tuesday night in the League Cup just 6 weeks or so earlier, we didnt sell out the 1,200 or so we were given. No surprises either, we were f**ked 3-0.

I can't remember where I saw the figure of 967 but I am guessing you know more than them.

#15 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

I didn't go to West Brom or Chelsea but I was at the Sunderland one you're talking about and that's one of the only times I have been at an away game where we have taken a pretty shit following. The West Brom one this year looked terrible on TV but that was due to the circumstances: New Years Day on TV at 12:30 at £40 a ticket. Not surprising we only took just over a thousand. Had it been the day earlier I would have gone but decided to give it a miss with both the FA and West Brom taking the piss.

It will be interesting to see the turnouts Premier League clubs get at Southampton next year because for the Northern clubs, it's a big ask to take the full allocation there and sell it. We sold out Norwich away this season though at £45 a ticket which not many would have done anyway, epecially if they had Wembley coming up the next week.

#16 BlueSmudge

BlueSmudge

"Side by side as we sing along together..."

• First Team
  • 21,242 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:39 PM

I didn't go to West Brom or Chelsea but I was at the Sunderland one you're talking about and that's one of the only times I have been at an away game where we have taken a pretty shit following. The West Brom one this year looked terrible on TV but that was due to the circumstances: New Years Day on TV at 12:30 at £40 a ticket. Not surprising we only took just over a thousand. Had it been the day earlier I would have gone but decided to give it a miss with both the FA and West Brom taking the piss.

It will be interesting to see the turnouts Premier League clubs get at Southampton next year because for the Northern clubs, it's a big ask to take the full allocation there and sell it. We sold out Norwich away this season though at £45 a ticket which not many would have done anyway, epecially if they had Wembley coming up the next week.

They will probably still get quite a few big followings this season, just because they're a relatively new away for a lot of fans (myself included) so with novelty value thrown in (I noticed a lot of northern clubs still took plenty to the likes of Norwich and Swansea last season) and no Blackburn and Bolton this year either.

As for West Brom, Ive said for years they shouldnt be allowed to have category matches, and clubs just be forced to charge less for televised fixtures. That West Brom and Man City at home for us this season showed just what an effect it has on crowds sometimes just simply because tickets are a rip off and the game is on telly.

#17 grm02

grm02
  • First Team
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

They will probably still get quite a few big followings this season, just because they're a relatively new away for a lot of fans (myself included) so with novelty value thrown in (I noticed a lot of northern clubs still took plenty to the likes of Norwich and Swansea last season) and no Blackburn and Bolton this year either.

True and it will be easier for the southern clubs to get to Southampton than Norwich. Only the Manchester and Liverpool clubs from up north sold out the full allocation at Norwich though last season. it's a twat of a journey for the North East ones and Sunderland only took about 800 with it being a midweek game. Doubt either of them will take big followings to Southampton. Probably only the big London clubs and Everton, Liverpool, United and City will sell out there.

#18 White Army

White Army
  • First Team
  • 1,650 posts
  • Supports:Tranmere Rovers

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:11 AM

Not of another away team but to be frank who takes pics of them but us at Preston was a good laugh

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

good memories

#19 Magic

Magic

Dosser and a dwad

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 20,849 posts
  • Supports:Leeds United

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Posted Image

#20 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

I guess that's Leeds and Doncaster there is a humongous difference between the two sets of fans

Good picture.

#21 FMtillidie

FMtillidie

Hereford United FC From Cider Country

• First Team
  • 3,690 posts
  • Supports:Hereford United

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

quality away support, (blue tier is away stand)
Posted Image

#22 Mighty Yellows

Mighty Yellows

Dare To Dream

• First Team
  • 2,393 posts
  • Supports:Oxford United

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image

Histon took 0 to Wrexham.

Grays once took 8 to Mansfield.

#23 FMtillidie

FMtillidie

Hereford United FC From Cider Country

• First Team
  • 3,690 posts
  • Supports:Hereford United

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

Posted Image

that is the photograph.

#24 Mighty Yellows

Mighty Yellows

Dare To Dream

• First Team
  • 2,393 posts
  • Supports:Oxford United

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:35 PM

Posted Image

that is the photograph.

I know, but you didn't say who it was and not everyone would know!

#25 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I never new Histon had such terrible support.

#26 crispin lane

crispin lane
  • First Team
  • 180 posts
  • Supports:Wrexham

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Eastbourne took 2 fans to our ground in the same season, can't find a picture or anything though.

#27 NicktheDagger

NicktheDagger

Norris Is Watching.

• First Team
  • 6,375 posts
  • Supports:Dagenham & Redbridge.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've got an absolute shed load of our away support pictures...worst one that I was at was Plymouth away...

Posted Image

#28 Leewilson

Leewilson

Don't mess with the Doe!

• 12,092 posts
  • Supports:The Daggers!

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

There is a picture floating around somewhere of Leigh RMI's support when they visited us around 10 years ago. They brought 1 supporter. He was stood alone behind the goal in the away area with his own flag and two stewards standing a fair distance away from him. Always makes me smile. :)

#29 RobW SFC

RobW SFC
  • First Team
  • 1,293 posts
  • Supports:Stevenage

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

There is a picture floating around somewhere of Leigh RMI's support when they visited us around 10 years ago. They brought 1 supporter. He was stood alone behind the goal in the away area with his own flag and two stewards standing a fair distance away from him. Always makes me smile. :)

Posted Image

#30 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image

I've never even heard of Leigh RMI. That is a funny photo.

#31 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Birmingham once brought 187 fans for a league game to us a couple of years ago can't remember any worse.

#32 RobW SFC

RobW SFC
  • First Team
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

Posted Image

I've never even heard of Leigh RMI. That is a funny photo.

They folded in 2011 after naming to Leigh Genesis from Leigh Railway Mechanics Institute. Spent 5 years (2000-2005) in the conference, finishing as high as 5th. Remember them bringing about 12 to us on the last day of the 2004-05 season, it was the only time our ground has been un-segregated since the away stand opened in 2002

#33 TheJester

TheJester
  • First Team
  • 35 posts
  • Supports:Sheffield United

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

[img]http://www.fansfocus...811599.jpg[/img]

What would he do if they scored though. Think I'd be a bit embarassed to celebrate on my own.

#34 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

[img]http://www.fansfocus...811599.jpg[/img]

He probably jump up and down. It would be funny if they scored and the players ran to celebrate with the fan.

What would he do if they scored though. Think I'd be a bit embarassed to celebrate on my own.

#35 jackinky

jackinky

Japan for the win

• First Team
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

The League Cup game against Wigan about a month ago looked about 150 from what I can remember.

#36 TRFC ON TOUR

TRFC ON TOUR
  • First Team
  • 1,759 posts
  • Supports:Tranmere

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

least I've seen at Tranmere was many moon's ago when 4 Torquay fans made the trip up on a Friday night, standing there in the old open away end, Tranmere kindly moved them into the mainstand.

#37 Joe.

Joe.
  • First Team
  • 6,508 posts
  • Supports:Ebbsfleet United.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Seen plenty of poor followings at our place in the last few years, the least was Farsley Celtic bringing about 3. We've also seen big followings here. Luton with over 1,000 this season. Luton have also bought 772 and 900 odd here in previous seasons. Remember Stevenage bringing a few hundred in the FA Trophy in '09, as did Aldershot in '08. Dartford had about 1,000 on their last visit here and will no doubt have more than that when they visit New Years Day.

We've not taken many big followings except tbh but there are a few decent amounts for us. Plenty of very low followings too with the lowest being 4 at Fleetwood on a Tuesday night.

Not got many pictures in fairness.

http://www.flickr.co...157631928143845

102 at Carlisle.

http://www.flickr.co...157626766694382

Hard to see clearly, but 2,158 at Farnborough.

Posted Image

Not sure how many we had, but Stevenage away.

Posted Image

Again, not sure how many but Oxford fans at our place. Packed the away end plenty of times.

#38 RobW SFC

RobW SFC
  • First Team
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

That Trophy game we had near 1,000 I think, the terrace was rammed where I was stood

#39 Joe.

Joe.
  • First Team
  • 6,508 posts
  • Supports:Ebbsfleet United.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

That Trophy game we had near 1,000 I think, the terrace was rammed where I was stood

Yeah, was probably closer to 1,000 tbh mate. There probably was an official figure announced back then, I never saw it though.

#40 Master Debator

Master Debator
  • First Team
  • 9,648 posts
  • Supports:Wrexham

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:06 AM

Posted Image

Yep, I remember that. I didn't really notice that they hadn't brought anyone but I'm pretty sure it was the first time a club had not a single fan at a match, at least including the first 5 divisions in the pyramid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users