23 replies to this topic

#1 Super_Horns

Super_Horns

Watford Till I Die

• First Team
  • 24,690 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

that has been in charge of your club in the time you've been a fan:

Steve Perryman - Paul Furlong - Signed from Coventry reserves to score a hat-ful of goals in an average side and sold for 2.3 million

Glenn Roeder - Tommy Mooney - Passion,energy and a hero up front or in defence. - Exactly the sort of footballer fans love.

Kenny Jackett - Alec Chamberlan - 10 years between the sticks hardly putting a foot wrong. All for 40k - cheers Sunderland.

Graham Taylor (2nd spell) - I'd say Heidar Helguson - A consistent goalscorer and another hero of the fans.

Luca Vialli - Stephen Glass - One of the few who did actually achieve some useful performances at the Vic - often after Vialli himself left! Hard to think of many others.

Ray Lewington - Didn't get the chance to sign many so maybe for service over a long period Gavin Mahon but he split fans somewhat (Sean Dyche maybe..)

Aidy Boothroyd - Marlon King - 20 odd goals in a season to win us promotion. All for 500k which makes the 3.5 million paid for Ellington really silly!

Brendan Rodgers - Mostly loan players in his brief spell so Jack Cork for example made an important impact. Could say he set up the Danny Graham signing.

Malky Mackay - Does Danny Graham count? - if not Don Cowie

Sean Dyche - Nyron Nosworthy - Helped improved our defence in the 2nd half of the season.

#2 RoversAlias

RoversAlias
  • First Team
  • 4,829 posts
  • Supports:Doncaster Rovers

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

Ian Snodin - I'd have to say a man who brought loads of league experience and a strong, experienced head to the centre of the team - Dave Penney.

Steve Wignall - I believe he signed Paul Green to his first professional contract, though I may be wrong.

Dave Penney - Upon gaining promotion to League One in summer 2004 Penney snapped up a young starlet from the Conference named James Coppinger. That turned out to be a masterstroke as he has spent the last 8 years cementing himself as one of the best players ever to pull on the Rovers shirt.

Sean O'Driscoll - Without the goals of Billy Sharp we wouldn't have lasted nearly as long in this division, so I think he stands out ahead of the rest of the players O'Driscoll brought in during his 5 year tenure in charge, though there are a good few players not far behind him. Sullivan, Stock, O'Connor, Mills, Wellens, Hayter...I could go on for ages I think.

Dean Saunders - He's only been here since September so I sincerely hope his best acquisition is yet to be made, but of the many players brought in to unsuccessfully keep us up in the Championship, it'd be hard to argue against El-Hadji Diouf being the player with the most quality brought in.

#3 Ash-NFFC

Ash-NFFC
  • First Team
  • 1,603 posts
  • Supports:Nottingham Forest

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Since I started going regularly (though to be honest, it's hard to tell who was a manager or acquisition panel signing!)...

Paul Hart - Des Walker, good experienced partner for young Michael Dawson.

Joe Kinnear - Paul Gerrard, solid keeper in an otherwise horrendous team.

Gary Megson - Ian Breckin, good honest pro and a decent captian for us in Division 3.

Colin Calderwood - Chris Cohen, no explanation required. Honourable mentions to Kelvin Wilson, Joel Lynch and Robert Earnshaw.

Billy Davies - Difficult choice between Gunter, Blackstock and Majewski... think I'll go for Dexter, he played a big part in keeping us in the division in Billy's first season and helped get us out of trouble again last season with some vital goals after coming back from a career threatening injury. Hero.

Steve McClaren - Andy Reid, wins by default by being the only McClaren signing who showed anything resembling competance.

Steve Cotterill (or Sean O'Driscoll?) - Adlene Guedioura, I suspect he was more SOD's idea than Cotternil's, either way he was a class act for us last season. Far too good for this level, I can't believe Wolves were allegedly interested in McGugan at one point last season yet let AG go out on loan! Would love to sign him permanently but I imagine that'd be highly unlikely.

#4 Bobbin' Robin

Bobbin' Robin
  • First Team
  • 3,802 posts
  • Supports:Charlton Athletic

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

Alan Curbishley: To be fair could be any number of players but going to go with a personal favourite of mine, Claus Jensen, he was able to do some wonderful things with the ball which would go unnoticed as he only played for little old Charlton, he had a fantastic touch, could find a pass and chipped in with some great goals, the goal he scored against Arsenal in a 4-2 win at Highbury is by far and away one of the greatest goals ever to be scored in the Premier League but for some reason it never gets talked about or shown, I'm sure had it been Rooney or Henry it would be a different story.

Iain Dowie: Probably the easiest of the lot, Andy Reid. Dowie squandered a lot of money which ultimately played a key part in our relegation from the Premier League but in my opinion, made a great signing in Reid, I know he gets stick over his weight but he had a fantastic work ethic and a wicked left foot, also very handy with a set piece, always looked a class above the rest of the squad in my opinion (excluding Darren Bent of course)

Alan Pardew: Nicky Bailey. He typified everything that I love about a Central midfielder, he worked tirelessly for 90 minutes, threw himself into tackles and also had quality on the ball, He was our only shining light in what was easily the worst season I have ever endured as a Charlton fan, it's a terrible shame that his last memory at the club is blazing his penalty high and wide against Swindon in the play-off semi final.

Phil Parkinson: There aren't too many decent signings courtesy of Parky but Johnnie Jackson certainly is one. Johnnie, to me always looked too good for League 1 and I am very pleased he is part of the squad that gained us promotion last season. Johnnie has fantastic ability on the ball and has a very useful left foot which was plain to see for all when he scored two beautiful back to back free kicks against the two sides from Sheffield. Club captain now with a brilliant attitude on and off the pitch.

Chris Powell: Our squad last season were excellent, seems unfair to single anyone out as they were all exceptional but going to have to say Yann Kermorgant, Very shrewd signing by Mr. Powell, he gave Yann the opportunity to prove a lot of people in the English game wrong and Yann did not disappoint, excellent on the ball and very good at bringing others in to play, for a man who isn't particuarly tall he seems to win everything in the air, throws his body on the line for the cause and chipped in with some great set pieces.

#5 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 36,535 posts
  • Supports:Derby

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:55 PM

Jim Smith - Too many. Igor Stimac probably edges it, but you've also got Stefano Eranio, Paulo Wanchope, Mart Poom, Francesco Baiano, Alijosa Asanovic amongst others.

Colin Todd - He was only here a short time, so I'm not sure if he even signed anyone. Nobody of note that I can remember anyway.

John Gregory - Again, I can't remember him signing anyone. He oversaw our relegation, and with the financial issues he was unable to sign anyone during the Championship campaign.

George Burley - A tie between Gregorz Rasiak and Inigo Idiakez. God knows how he found these two, but they were a Godsend. We've not had a decent set piece taker since Idiakez left.

Phil Brown - Didn't he just sign a load of players on loan? Can't remember him signing anyone of note.

Billy Davies - Steve Howard got us the goals, but the captain gets my vote. Matt Oakley. One of the nice guys of football, and a great captain who Jewell should never have sold.

Paul Jewell - Paul Green - Didn't score many, but put a hell of a shift in and created some good chances. I think he lost something when he returned from that long term injury though. Didn't look the same player, although he was forced to play RB for a fair few games.

Nigel Clough - John Brayford - Great right back, who can both defend and bomb forward. Was a big loss losing him to injury for much of last season.

#6 HarvSFC

HarvSFC
  • Supporter
  • 9,075 posts
  • Supports:Southampton

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

George Burley - A tie between Gregorz Rasiak and Inigo Idiakez. God knows how he found these two, but they were a Godsend. We've not had a decent set piece taker since Idiakez left.

Deja vu!

#7 Magic

Magic

Dosser and a dwad

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 20,781 posts
  • Supports:Leeds United

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

David O'Leary - There's a few to choose from but because I was a huge fan of Mark Viduka I suppose it has to be him for me. Great striker to watch in my earlier days as a Leeds fan and gave so many great moments. Obviously the four-goal haul against Liverpool stands out but he scored goals against some of the best teams in the world and didn't cost as much as many of our signings back then. The re-signing of David Batty is up there as well.

Terry Venables - Jesus Christ this was a bad period for us. There were no good signings. Raul Bravo on loan :lol:

Peter Reid - Similar story here really. Loan signings were about it. I suppose you'd have to say Jermaine Pennant or one of the random loanees such as Zoumana Camara (who I thought was relatively okay in comparison). Still, it's difficult for me to remember.

Kevin Blackwell - Well it's probably proved to be Jermaine Beckford I suppose. Didn't do anything for us under Blackwell but slowly grew into the fold and obviously turned out to be a very special player in our League One days. An absolute gem from the lower leagues who cost us naff all. Funnily enough we lost him for even less but he contributed so many goals for us that he goes down as a big success story in the transfer market.

Dennis Wise - A lot of dross signed under Wise but also some decent League One players. I suppose I'd go with Neil Kilkenny. Was impressive early on in his Leeds days having impressed for Oldham at Elland Road just a week or so earlier. Gradually became less directly influential in the team but was still important in the way we played for much of his Leeds career and I always thought he got a bit of unnecessary stick. Played an important part in getting us back up I think.

Gary McAllister - Although our defending was terrible for a while under McAllister, he did bring in some important players for next to nothing. Difficult to split two of our current best players in Robert Snodgrass and Luciano Becchio - both excelling since underwhelming moves where the fans had never heard of them. Both have been huge successes at the club but I suppose the potential and possible greater profit I'd just side with Snodgrass.

Simon Grayson - Very hit and miss in the market was our Simon. Plenty of awful signings but the key signings of the likes of Patrick Kisnorbo (excellent when fit for us), Davide Somma (proved to be a clinical striker when played and hopefully will return from injury this pre-season), and some much-needed at the time (Andy O'Brien, Eric Lichaj) but it has to be Max Gradel. Ought to have made more profit than we did on him but signed from Leicester for very little and was an instant success - initially on loan. Pivotal in our promotion and superb in our first season back in the Championship. Was always going to be subject to interest and unfortunately left the club last year. Big impact but unfortunately we didn't get to see more of him.

Neil Warnock - Impossible to say really with only Paul Robinson and Danny Webber on loan. Neither did much after a promising early start so I'll be optimistic and say Jason Pearce who comes with good reviews and hopefully will prove to be our first top defensive signing in a while at a decent price.

Have left out any short-term/caretaker managers.

#8 songhan499

songhan499
  • Academy
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

That turned out to be a masterstroke as he has spent the last 8 years cementing himself as one of the best players ever to pull on the Rovers shirt.

Posted Image

#9 RealisticRam

RealisticRam
  • First Team
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

Jim Smith - Igor Stimac

Colin Todd - Benito Carbone

John Gregory - can't remember him signing anyone of note at all.

George Burley - Inigo Idiakez

Phil Brown - Seth Johnson

Billy Davies - Steve Howard

Paul Jewell - Kris Commons

Nigel Clough - John Brayford

Edited by RealisticRam, 04 July 2012 - 10:55 AM.

#10 JoseSemedosjockstrap

JoseSemedosjockstrap
  • First Team
  • 4,185 posts
  • Supports:Freedom of Movement

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:36 AM

Howard Wilkinson - David Hirst

Peter Eustace - Horrid appointment, don't think he signed anyone

Ron Atkinson - Roland Nilsson

Trevor Francis - Chris Waddle

David Pleat - Paolo Di Canio

Ron Atkinson - Niclas Alexandersson

Danny Wilson - Gerald Sibon

Paul Jewell - Michele Di Piedi (it was a shite time)

Peter Shreeves - Paul McLaren (scraping a barrel here)

Terry Yorath - Shefki Kuqi (slightly less shit)

Chris Turner - Chris Brunt

Paul Sturrock - Marcus Tudgay

Brian Laws - Steve Watson

Alan Irvine - Gary Madine

Gary Megson - Miguel Llera or loanees like Antonio and Marshall

Dave Jones - Keith Treacy loan

#11 chiho080

chiho080
  • Academy
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

That turned out to be a masterstroke as he has spent the last 8 years cementing himself as one of the best players ever to pull on the Rovers shirt.

Posted Image

#12 RoversAlias

RoversAlias
  • First Team
  • 4,829 posts
  • Supports:Doncaster Rovers

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

We seem to have an echo in the room :P

#13 The Hand of Dom

The Hand of Dom
  • Supporter
  • 6,282 posts
  • Supports:Peterborough United

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

Barry Fry - He was in charge for 9 years so we saw a lot come and go. David Farrell or Leon McKenzie were probably the best the best though

Mark Wright - You would probably say Danny Crow but he only had one outstanding season.

Steve Bleasdale - Only signed about 2 players and both were utter shite.

Keith Alexander - He signed the trinity of George Boyd, Craig Mackail-Smith & Aaron McLean so it's hard to pick just one. I'll go with CMS though.

Darren Ferguson - Gaby Zakuani without doubt. Defensive rock. Absolute legend.

Mark Cooper - Another one who signed nothing but shite.

Jim Gannon - Mark Little. Cracking full back.

Gary Johnson - Grant McCann without doubt. Probably the only good thing that came out of his reign as manager.

#14 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 36,535 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

Was it Brown that brought Seth back? I could have sworn it was Billy!

At least the tanman managed to do something decent during his reign then.

#15 millwall_matt

millwall_matt
  • First Team
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

This might take a while. We've had a lot of managers in 20 years!

Jimmy Nicholl - Darren Huckerby on loan probably. If only we'd stumped up the million quid asked!
John Docherty - Only 1 signing, Alan McLeary, so probably wins by default. Good player mind.
Billy Bonds - Tie between Tim Cahill and Neil Harris. 2 absolute legends for us.
Keith Stevens & Alan McLeary - Paul Moody was the missing piece in the jigsaw for us. Old and slow but still a quite brilliant targetman.
Mark McGhee - Darren Ward. Back with us in a second spell and still a good quality championship player.
Dennis Wise - Barry Hayles Only good player he signed.
Steve Claridge - Only signed 1 player. Sammy Igoe. Was Crap.
Colin Lee - Zak Whitbread Hateful wanker but a decent enough centre back.
David Tuttle - Colin Cameron on loan was decent.
Nigel Spackman - Chris Hackett Only player out of seemingly hundreds who made an impact.
Willie Donachie - Gary AlexanderLargely for 'that' goal at Wembley.
Kenny Jackett - Jimmy Abdou Awesome freebie from Plymouth. Still arguably our most important player.

#16 RealisticRam

RealisticRam
  • First Team
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

Phillip brought both Moore and Seth and got el hamsandwich on loan so wasn't all bad, I guess. :unsure:

#17 Luke

Luke
  • First Team
  • 7,171 posts
  • Supports:The Rams

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Phillip brought both Moore and Seth and got el hamsandwich on loan so wasn't all bad, I guess. :unsure:

He also brought in Kalou Fadiga though... :dunno:

#18 Well Done Tommy Spurr

Well Done Tommy Spurr
  • First Team
  • 5,450 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Howard Wilkinson - David Hirst

Peter Eustace - N/A

Ron Atkinson - Roland Nilsson

Trevor Francis - Chris Waddle

David Pleat - Benito Carbone

Ron Atkinson - Niclas Alexandersson

Danny Wilson - Gerald Sibon

Paul Jewell - Michelle Di Piedi

Peter Shreeves - Pablo Bonvin

Terry Yorath - Shefki Kuqi

Chris Turner - Chris Brunt

Paul Sturrock - Marcus Tudgay

Brian Laws - Jermaine Johnson

Alan Irvine - Gary Madine

Posted Image - Ryan Lowe

Dave Jones - Nile Ranger

#19 Boro Boy

Boro Boy
  • First Team
  • 4,135 posts
  • Supports:Middlesbrough

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:47 PM

Bryan Robson (So many options) - Juninho Paulista - The best player I've seen in a Boro shirt. My Dad told me "we've signed the best player in the world" when it was confirmed.

Steve McLaren (Again so many options) - Gareth Southgate - Fantastic captain, won us our first cup.

Gareth Southgate - Woodgate - We kept him fit and he looked absolutely world class.

Gordon Strachan - Nicky Bailey - Bit of a fluke, signed as an AM, played terribly under Strachan then moved to DM under Mowbray and has been a revelation.

Tony Mowbray - Haroun? - Tireless Belgium midfielder with crazy hair. Fellaini?

Edited by Boro Boy, 19 July 2012 - 04:01 PM.

#20 Ronford

Ronford
  • First Team
  • 62 posts
  • Supports:bristol city

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

Brian Tinnion - We did moderately well under his stewardship and made some tidy signings, Steve Brooker should run away with it but for a number of injuries down the years. For that reason, the next best alternative is Bradley Orr, shipped to us from Newcastle as a Sunday-league midfielder, and saw his best days after Tinnion left. Loses something having gone on to be scouted by Steve Kean.

Gary Johnson - Glory days, plenty of quality signings. Maynard did well but cost a bomb, Jamie McCombe was a bargain but fell away towards the end of his time; Adriano Basso proved himself as one of the best keepers outside the Premier League for the couple of seasons before God told him he was destined for better things. A real shame, top bloke.

Steve Coppell - Difficult to remember his "reign" without a grimace (or remember it at all) but Albert Adomah was signed on his watch. While he's been out of form this calendar year, he's rightfully attracting Premier League attention and on his day is a real handful.

Keith Millen - Made surprisingly few signings considering he presided over 4 transfer windows. Jon Stead cost next to nothing, cheers Roy Keane, one of the most committed and hard-working players we've had at City in a long time.

Derek McInnes - Again, not much to go on, Greg Cunningham will probably take this in time, and only two McInnes signings have ever played for us. Stephen Foster hasn't had the best of starts to date but Stephen Pearson looks a tidy player on his day, especially on a free.

#21 fox4life

fox4life
  • First Team
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Brian Little: David Speedie
Mark Mcghee: Pontus Kaamark
Martin O'Neill: Neil Lennon/Muzzy Izzet
Tator Peeler: Ian Walker
Dave Bassett: Paul Dickov
Micky Adams: Les Ferdinand
Craig Levien: Paddy Kisnorbo
Rob Kelly: Gareth McAuley
Martin Allen: Pass
Garry Megson:
Ian Hollowhead: Steve Howard
Nigel Pearson: Alexander Tunchev/Lloyd Dyer
Paulo Sousa: Miguel Vitor
Sven Goran Eriksson: Kasper Schmeichel
Nigel Pearson: Ben Marshall

#22 RealisticRam

RealisticRam
  • First Team
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Brian Tinnion - We did moderately well under his stewardship and made some tidy signings, Steve Brooker should run away with it but for a number of injuries down the years. For that reason, the next best alternative is Bradley Orr, shipped to us from Newcastle as a Sunday-league midfielder, and saw his best days after Tinnion left. Loses something having gone on to be scouted by Steve Kean.

Gary Johnson - Glory days, plenty of quality signings. Maynard did well but cost a bomb, Jamie McCombe was a bargain but fell away towards the end of his time; Adriano Basso proved himself as one of the best keepers outside the Premier League for the couple of seasons before God told him he was destined for better things. A real shame, top bloke.

Steve Coppell - Difficult to remember his "reign" without a grimace (or remember it at all) but Albert Adomah was signed on his watch. While he's been out of form this calendar year, he's rightfully attracting Premier League attention and on his day is a real handful.

Keith Millen - Made surprisingly few signings considering he presided over 4 transfer windows. Jon Stead cost next to nothing, cheers Roy Keane, one of the most committed and hard-working players we've had at City in a long time.

Derek McInnes - Again, not much to go on, Greg Cunningham will probably take this in time, and only two McInnes signings have ever played for us. Stephen Foster hasn't had the best of starts to date but Stephen Pearson looks a tidy player on his day, especially on a free.

Stephen Pearson...

Posted Image

Success in the transfer market not his strong point then :spear: :rolleyes:

#23 Alex_BCFC

Alex_BCFC
  • First Team
  • 9,036 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

Pearson did OK but not really a player that will take us forward yet we have signed him unfortunately.

#24 RealisticRam

RealisticRam
  • First Team
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

Pearson did OK but not really a player that will take us forward yet we have signed him unfortunately.

I didn't like Pearson because he was so predictable, he'll straight line to the byline unless he gets took out and wins a free kick and if by the grace of god he makes the byline he'll put in a low cross which is usually cut out by a defender.

We know have Tyson for that, but by all accounts Tyson is a stronger, quicker and has a better success rate of beating the first man when crossing (just).