1242 replies to this topic

#441 NicktheDagger

NicktheDagger

Norris Is Watching.

• First Team
  • 6,323 posts
  • Supports:Dagenham & Redbridge.

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sage - Nothing like a cult member. Amusing, but spoilt by it's over exaggeration of comments regarding TV shows.

#442 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:36 PM

Loved Green Wing personally, had it 11th on my list. 

#443 coombs1992

coombs1992

Bob Loblaw

• First Team
  • 652 posts
  • Supports:Gillingham

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:40 PM

Loved Green Wing personally, had it 11th on my list. 

It was on my list too. Friends?

#444 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

This is why we are friends.

#445 Sage

Sage
  • First Team
  • 1,203 posts
  • Supports:sheffield wednesday

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I like the Green Wing. Just lots of better comedies.

#446 Merseyboyred

Merseyboyred

• 19,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:20 PM

Mrs Brown's boys above TNG? Rack off, bloody sacrilege. TNG is awesome, whoever else voted for it has good taste.

#447 RavenBish

RavenBish

Don't Sell Haynes

• First Team
  • 17,070 posts
  • Supports:Don't even like football

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

How are all these better than Sons of Anarchy?

I haven't been following closely, has The Mentalist gone yet?

#448 Saddlerrad

Saddlerrad

We are Walsall FC!

• Supporter
  • 12,998 posts
  • Supports:Walsall

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:31 PM

How are all these better than Sons of Anarchy?

I haven't been following closely, has The Mentalist gone yet?

It was high up on mine and yours, so it won't be out just yet.

#449 SALT1R3

SALT1R3

Oor Wullie, your Wullie, a'body's Wullie

• First Team
  • 10,472 posts
  • Supports:Help ma Boab!!!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:34 PM

HIGNFY - deserves great credit for being a top programme for over 20 years. I doubt that anyone would have it in their top five but everyone should have it in their Top 100.

Green Wing - a bit of a cult show. Amusing but spoilt by the show's lovers over exagerating its greatness (a bit like Mrs Brown's Boys in that respect).

Aye Green Wing was excellent, but was spoiled a lot by the unnecessary love stuff with Greig and Rhind-Tutt's characters. Mark Heap and Michelle Gomez though were sensational :D

HIGNFY is fine and funny, Merton is a comic genius, though I can't stand Hislop, nor Jack Whitehall or Jo Brand when they are on. 

#450 SALT1R3

SALT1R3

• First Team
  • 10,472 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

I like the Green Wing. Just lots of better comedies.

Agree, it probably would have made a top thirty of forty for me, but the tight structure of a top twenty it just misses out on my list. 

#451 Leewilson

Leewilson

Don't mess with the Doe!

• 12,033 posts
  • Supports:The Daggers!

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Sorry Cas and Nick. We have a lot in common, but not Mrs Brown's Boys. Can't stand that pile of crap.

#452 NicktheDagger

NicktheDagger

Norris Is Watching.

• First Team
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

Sorry Cas and Nick. We have a lot in common, but not Mrs Brown's Boys. Can't stand that pile of crap.

It's ok, I can cope with you having a few faults.

#453 lordofthepies

lordofthepies

Spartacus Mills

• Legends
  • 6,930 posts
  • Supports:Universitario de Sucre

Posted 10 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

I think that Mrs Brown's Boys might be the worst television programme I've ever seen.

#454 tommy_b

tommy_b
  • Supporter
  • 12,260 posts
  • Supports:League Two's Bristol City

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

James said:

This is not a requirement, but a few words about why you like a show you've chosen, or what your favourite moment is would be great. These could then be used (and kept anonymous) when the shows are revealed. If you do choose to say a few words, you do not have to say something about every show you nominate.

I say:

has everyone else just ignored this? I only seeing my comments. You're all rubbish :P

#455 ZianfrancoGoal

ZianfrancoGoal

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man

• 9,978 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Is there any point? Your input can't rival that of Sage

#456 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts
  • Supports:Derby

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:12 PM

Fucks sake. Just did the next show, ready to click post, and I blue screen of deathed :angry:

#457 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

new_zps3276bfb5.png 74. Planet Earth (27 points)

Movement: NEW ENTRY | Lists: 2 | Number 1's: 0

Original Run: 2006 | Series: 1 | Episodes: 11 | Country of Origin: United Kingdom, United States, Japan, Canada

Planet Earth is a 2006 series produced by the BBC Natural History Unit. Five years in the making, it was the most expensive nature documentary series ever commissioned by the BBC, and also the first to be filmed in high definition. The series was co-produced by the Discovery Channel and NHK in association with the CBC, and was described by its makers as "the definitive look at the diversity of our planet".

Planet Earth was first broadcast in the United Kingdom on BBC One in March 2006, and premiered one year later in the USA on the Discovery Channel. By June 2007, it had been shown in 130 countries worldwide. The original BBC version was narrated by David Attenborough and produced by Alastair Fothergill. For Discovery, the executive producer was Maureen Lemire, with Sigourney Weaver's voiceover replacing Attenborough.

The series comprises eleven episodes, each of which features a global overview of a different biome or habitat on Earth. At the end of each fifty-minute episode, a ten-minute featurette takes a behind-the-scenes look at the challenges of filming the series.

With a budget of £16 million, Planet Earth is the most expensive documentary series the BBC has ever made. The corporation signed a co-financing deal with the Discovery Channel and NHK (Japan's state broadcaster), its production partners on The Blue Planet, to spread the cost of the ambitious project. Under the terms of the deal, Discovery retained the US rights and NHK the Japanese rights, while BBC Worldwide retained the rights for the rest of the world. Together, the Discovery and NHK financing amounted to 60–70% of the cost of the series, which paid for the upgrade to the high-definition format. BBC Worldwide also funded the additional £7.4 million budget of Earth, the feature film.

#458 CAMRAlty

CAMRAlty

Non-league football, real ale and political anorak.

• First Team
  • 17,400 posts
  • Supports:Altrincham

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Good old Attenborough. Didn't go for any of his stuff in the end, but he's a solid performer.

#459 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:44 PM

down_zps0c8e0320.png 73. The Day Today (28 points)

Movement: Down 44 | Lists: 2 | Number 1's: 0

Original Run: 1994 | Series: 1 | Episodes: 6 | Country of Origin: United Kingdom

The Day Today is a surreal British parody of television current affairs programmes, broadcast in 1994, and created by the comedians Armando Iannucci and Chris Morris. It is an adaptation of the radio programme On the Hour, which was broadcast on BBC Radio 4 between 1991 and 1992. The principal cast of On the Hour was retained for The Day Today.

The Day Today is composed of six half-hour episodes and a selection of shorter, five-minute slots recorded as promotion trailers for the longer segments. The six half-hour episodes were originally broadcast from 19 January to 23 February 1994 on BBC2. The Day Today has won many awards, including Morris winning the 1994 British Comedy Award for Best Newcomer.

#460 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

down_zps0c8e0320.png 72. The Office USA (28 points)

Movement: Down 12 | Lists: 3 | Number 1's: 0

Original Run: 2005-2013 | Series: 9 | Episodes: 201 | Country of Origin: United States

The Office is an American television comedy series that originally aired on National Broadcasting Company (NBC) from March 24, 2005 to May 16, 2013. It is an adaptation of the BBC series of the same name. The Office was adapted for American audiences by Greg Daniels, a veteran writer for Saturday Night Live, King of the Hill, and The Simpsons.

The series depicts the everyday lives of office employees in the Scranton, Pennsylvania branch of the fictional Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. To simulate the look of an actual documentary, it is filmed in a single-camera setup, without a studio audience or a laugh track. The show debuted on NBC as a mid-season replacement and ran for nine seasons, and 201 episodes. The Office features Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, B. J. Novak and Ed Helms among the main cast. Series star Carell, who portrayed Michael Scott, left the series near the end of the seventh season.

The first five seasons of The Office received critical acclaim, were included on several top TV series lists, and won several awards including four Primetime Emmy Awards, one of which was for Outstanding Comedy Series in 2006. The series initially debuted to low ratings, but during its second season it became the highest-rated scripted series on NBC and was eventually chosen to follow Super Bowl XLIII.

#461 Benji

Benji

Full-time Eddie Johnson fan

• Supporter
  • 10,733 posts
  • Supports:Seattle Sounders

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:49 PM

Two great shows. I'm currently watching The Office (US) for the first time right now.

#462 SALT1R3

SALT1R3

• First Team
  • 10,472 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

I think that Mrs Brown's Boys might be the worst television programme I've ever seen.

Its TV Panto, and you either love it or loathe it - same with Vicious on ITV. 

#463 SALT1R3

SALT1R3

• First Team
  • 10,472 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:00 PM

The Day Today is brilliant, Chris Morris should get more programmes, he's a real talent.

Edited by SALT1R3, 10 June 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#464 lordofthepies

lordofthepies

Spartacus Mills

• Legends
  • 6,930 posts
  • Supports:Universitario de Sucre

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:34 AM

Wow, I thought that The Day Today would be higher, it was my number 5. If you've never seen it, you should. It's amazing.

The US Office was my number 10 too, it's largely brilliant.

#465 Sage

Sage
  • First Team
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

If we are talking about good programmes (as opposed to favourite) then Frozen Planet should be right up there. Well done to those who voted for it.

Todays The Day has a lot to merit it. It was ground breaking. It was controversial and tribal in that you were either IN and understood it or OUT if you didn't. It also addressed some serious issues in a way that got to people.

Didn't watch The Office USA but I cannot recall any British series that the Americans improved upon.

#466 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

Planet Earth was high on my list, I love all those Attenborough shows... Life, Frozen Planet etc. I should watch some of his older shows.

#467 Sage

Sage
  • First Team
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

Generally quality nature programmes suffer in these surveys because often they merge into each other sometimes in ones mind. I enjoyed one about tigers last year and another about Madagascar but I struggle to recall the titles of the programme. That never happens with US series.

Comedies also suffer compared to drama series.

#468 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:55 PM

Cock up. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Rammy, 14 June 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#469 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Cock Up. Nothing to see here.

Edited by Rammy, 14 June 2013 - 11:50 PM.

#470 NicktheDagger

NicktheDagger

Norris Is Watching.

• First Team
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:04 PM

My problem with QI is not the show itself but the fact that the BBC whore it out far too much. Repeats are on every Friday/Saturday I think and it just becomes annoying.

#471 SALT1R3

SALT1R3

• First Team
  • 10,472 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:41 AM

My problem with QI is not the show itself but the fact that the BBC whore it out far too much. Repeats are on every Friday/Saturday I think and it just becomes annoying.

Yeah agree, I enjoyed it a lot to start with, but its all the same stuff now with the same jokes and they keep putting Jo feckin Brand on it who is as funny as a colonic irrigation using a spiked tube!  :angry:

#472 Sage

Sage
  • First Team
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

I have never heard of "Scenes from a Marriage" but it must have something to appear on two lists despite being 40 years old & only had 6 episodes.

QI is a quality show. It may have got a bit samey over the last year or so but it is still worth watching. Personally, I prefer HIGNFY but wouldn't have either in my Top 20 list but both would have made my Top 100.

#473 Nilsson

Nilsson
  • First Team
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Scenes from a Marriage is excellent. I decided to watch it after reading someone compare an episode of The Sopranos ("Whitecaps", the season 4 finale, if anyone's wondering) to it.

The main reason it works so well is due to fantastic performances from Liv Ullmann and Erland Josephson (Ullmann especially). As the couple under our scurinty, they're both remarkable and convincing as a wife and husband falling in and out of love. The time span gives the characters enough time to develop, and because of the unique visual style, and the reality of Bergman's script, it's easy to accept these characters and connect with them through their habitual emotional turmoil.

#474 Satch

Satch

self-styled arbiter of reasoned debate

• Early Bath (Banned)
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

You voted for it too? Something doesn't add up.

#475 Satch

Satch

• Early Bath (Banned)
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Anyway, it is excellent. And timeless. Is the acting really "the main reason it works so well" though? Is that ever the most notable aspect of a good film or series? But I agree about the character development, Bergman's great at illustrating the complexity of human interaction, married life and family psychology, with the brutally honest dialogue pretty much forcing you to empathise with the couple. A lot of which must have been lost in the shorter theatrical release.

If you did vote for it, that makes three of us. So James clearly cocked this up.

#476 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

Fuck.

#477 Rammy

Rammy
  • Legends
  • 37,618 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Right, I can see I've missed it on Satch's list. I'm assuming and hoping I've only missed that one show and nothing else, especially since his number one is in there. However, I'm going to have to do a recount to be sure.

Fucks sake! :spear:

#478 Satch

Satch

• Early Bath (Banned)
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

A farce of farcical proportions.

#479 Oaf

Oaf

There are no strings on me...

• 17,928 posts