• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 kaufman

kaufman
  • First Team
  • 120 posts
  • Supports:Swindon Town

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

Apologies if this has a thread already somewhere else but do you all know what your wage bills were for last season?

With my club Swindon reportedly cutting their from a high 4 million to 2 million for next season I'd love to know and work out the average for league one.

#2 SF

SF

Don

• First Team
  • 11,638 posts
  • Supports:Preston North End

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:07 AM

I've literally no idea about ours, i'd be interested to find out.

I imagine ours in the top 6 but it has been cut massively since we first came down.

#3 Local_Hero

Local_Hero
  • First Team
  • 881 posts
  • Supports:Tranmere Rovers

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Does anyone really know for sure?  Ours has been reported as low as 1.3 million and and as high as 2.5 million.  Whether or not these figures have been plucked from thin air I don't know but I'd guess it's probably somewhere between the two.

#4 big mean bunny

big mean bunny
  • First Team
  • 2,291 posts
  • Supports:Wolves and Corby Town

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:17 AM

Jamie O'Hara's was just over £2million before any sort of bonuses if the rumours about his 40k a week are true...

#5 BS_8

BS_8
  • First Team
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:27 AM

No one really knows for sure, I dread to think what ours is.

#6 Cheese & Biscuits

Cheese & Biscuits
  • First Team
  • 6,768 posts
  • Supports:Daggers

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Does anyone really know for sure?  Ours has been reported as low as 1.3 million and and as high as 2.5 million.  Whether or not these figures have been plucked from thin air I don't know but I'd guess it's probably somewhere between the two.

The term wage bill is up for interpretation anyway. Is it basic wage or including bonuses? Does it include NI? Is it playing staff or total staff? Will it include any benefit payments? These discussions usually end up comparing mythical apples with mythical oranges.

#7 big mean bunny

big mean bunny
  • First Team
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

I was going to ask about the total wage costs. I always imagine its just the players and staff. If you think about how many people work at your club on match day alone then there is no way you are paying them on £1-£2million a year with players salaries too is there?

I appreciate its quite a well paid industry in some roles, but I was told the wage bill for the school I work at is about £6 million a year, thats for about 80 full time teachers, 20 P/T and 80 support staff.

#8 kaufman

kaufman
  • First Team
  • 120 posts
  • Supports:Swindon Town

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

The term wage bill is up for interpretation anyway. Is it basic wage or including bonuses? Does it include NI? Is it playing staff or total staff? Will it include any benefit payments? These discussions usually end up comparing mythical apples with mythical oranges.

Understand that but usually the figure is a good estimate.

The BBC site usually has one article a year on each clubs wage bill when they've been promoted, relegated, in money troubles e.t.c 

Brentford are said to have a 5 million budget

Bristol city coming down with an 18.6 million budget.

I find it interesting in the massive gap considering they might swap places.

I guess i could just type in 'bbc wage bill' and each club but thought this would be quicker.

#9 Mark_AFCB

Mark_AFCB

Up The Cherries

• 11,258 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:55 AM

The only figure I've heard for us was 4.2m but I can't tell you that's certain, just what I hear it went up to after the January signings including Richie. Budget for next year will be decided soon.

Before Russians we worked on around 1.5m or so most of the time. Although we worked on much less when in L2.

#10 RavenBish

RavenBish

Don't Sell Haynes

• First Team
  • 17,083 posts
  • Supports:Don't even like football

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ours is down by 30% this year. Wouldn't even like to guess. It was top 6 last season but given a couple of richer teams included and the decrease I'd guess we're closer to the middle of the pack now. 

#11 Mr Glover Lover

Mr Glover Lover
  • First Team
  • 1,131 posts
  • Supports:Yeovil Town

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:08 AM

Our playing budget this year was 850k apparently.

#12 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

Not a clue what ours is but I imagine we'd be about average for the league given our attendances etc.

#13 kieran_vale

kieran_vale
  • First Team
  • 6,477 posts
  • Supports:Port Vale and NE Patriots

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:16 AM

Don't have a clue what Vale's was but I would guess as a ballpark figure factoring in the new signings we made in January etc about £1.5m maybe.

#14 Mark_AFCB

Mark_AFCB

Up The Cherries

• 11,258 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:18 AM

Bristol city worked on 18.6m this year according to SoD!!

#15 RavenBish

RavenBish

Don't Sell Haynes

• First Team
  • 17,083 posts
  • Supports:Don't even like football

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:19 AM

:o

#16 The Hand of Dom

The Hand of Dom
  • Supporter
  • 6,585 posts
  • Supports:Peterborough United

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ours is around 5.5m.

#17 joethegill

joethegill
  • First Team
  • 3,532 posts
  • Supports:Gillingham

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think ours was around the 1.5m mark

#18 ethelaustin

ethelaustin
  • First Team
  • 1,853 posts
  • Supports:Port Vale

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:52 AM

Ours will end up circa 1.4 million [ season 2012/2013 ]

#19 dedwardp

dedwardp
  • First Team
  • 2,113 posts
  • Supports:Colchester United

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

Our chairman released this statement in May 2011, so next year will be the third season on from this. We do now have a Category 2 academy and state of the art training facilities and we're seeing quite a few youngsters breaking in so hopefully as the subsidy lowers we'll become more self-sufficient from our younger players anyway.

I recently made a statement regarding the financial support that is provided to Colchester United and how it has affected the playing budget. (The playing budget being the money spent on all things related to the team. I have listed the main categories of these costs below). 

For the last five years, the managers of Colchester United have been provided with a playing budget that was much greater than that provided to other teams that enjoy a similar level of support, although not as good as the budgets provided to the much bigger clubs that we constantly find ourselves competing against in League One.

During the last five years, we have finished 10th and 24th in the Championship and 12th, 8th and 10th in League One. These represent five of the six highest finishes in the club's history. However, the budget is nowhere near enough to "almost" guarantee promotion and is too much to sustain going forward, given current attendances. 

For the long term good of the club, two important investments are now being made; firstly, a new training facility which is already underway and second, the establishment of one of the best youth set ups in the country. It is my view that it will be these strategies that will ultimately provide us with the tools to gain promotions into higher leagues and to sustain that status. However, the club can't make both these investments and prop up the playing budget.

Rather than withdraw the financial support immediately, I have decided that it will be tapered off over the next five seasons and I want Colchester United fans to be aware of how this will be done and what they can do to ensure the club continues to progress in the short term.

Over the next five seasons, the playing budget will be made up of 100% of gate receipts, (less VAT), from the previous season, 100% of the basic awards the club receives from the Football League plus a club subsidy, (which is the part that will be reduced each season until it is zero by the end of year five). 

The following shows how this will unfold. For the coming season, I have all of the figures I require to determine the playing budget. However, beyond that season I only know for certain the amount that will be added as a club subsidy.

This coming season's budget will be made up of the gate receipts from 2010/11, (£1,139,273), the basic award, (£983,999.88) and our club subsidy, (£1,400,000) - making a total of £3,523,272.88.

The club subsidy amount of the budget will then decrease to the following amounts in the subsequent four seasons:-

2012/13 £1,100,000
2013/14 £800,000
2014/15 £500,000
2015/16 £200,000

So, you can see that unless gate receipts improve or the basic awards increase the playing budget will reduce.

The exception to the rule will be for a year following promotion to the Championship, where only half of the basic award will be provided to increase the playing budget. This is to create our own parachute kitty in case of relegation the following season, because the league does not provide parachute payments between the Championship and League One. 

Of course, we don't get to retain 100% of the gate receipts so to give the playing budget 100% of these means the club will have to work hard to cover all of the match day costs. We plan to do this with the funds we raise from other club activities such as sponsorship and match-day hospitality.

We also have many other expenses like the rent, rates, utility bills and staff wages but the deal we have with the council to manage the stadium during the week for events and conferences is designed to give the club the means to keep its head above water. With this deal in place, every event attended goes some small way to assisting the club in this aim.

However, if attendances remain static and the league awards are not increased, the playing budget is going to get reduced by £300k every season for the next five years.

Having stated the obvious, not many clubs can assure their fans that every penny they spend on their ticket is being added to the playing budget and this does give fans some say in what the budget amounts to.

So lastly, what is covered by the playing budget and how is the money spent? 

John Ward will have the main say in where this budget is spent but in doing so, he has to cover all of the costs of the following:

• The Team
• Management
• Scouting
• Coaches
• Medical
• Catering for players and youth teams
• Training
• Kit etc
• Travel to away games.

If John wants to spend money in one area, he has to balance that against what is required in another area.

It is an unusual step for a club that is under a single owner to be so transparent with this kind of information and I can already imagine all of the other things that our fans will want to know, such as how much is being spent where.

I will make sure that the running total of gate receipts is published throughout the season and before each season, I will make sure the total playing budget is disclosed. However, beyond that, I will not be prepared to divulge any other information.

The reason I am publishing this information is so that fans can see how their attendance at games both encourages the players on the field and provides the manager with the budget to build a team of which you can be proud.

It's worth adding mind you that, although it says: "I will make sure that the running total of gate receipts is published throughout the season and before each season, I will make sure the total playing budget is disclosed", I can't recall this being the case to date.

Edited by dedwardp, 09 May 2013 - 10:10 AM.

#20 Orient Till I Die

Orient Till I Die

Drippy is tidy, mun!

• First Team
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

Our playing budget was £1.7 million (I think) for the season just finished. Season before we were on £2.1 million (I think) which according to our CEO was a 'top 10 budget'.

#21 Orient Till I Die

Orient Till I Die

Drippy is tidy, mun!

• First Team
  • 14,345 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:23 AM

I think the lower end of that scale is more accurate. A year or so ago this question intrigued me, so I pulled off some of the League 1 submitted accounts on Companies House; one of these being Tranmere. Can't remember the exact figure, but I do remember it being significantly lower than Orient's. 

Edited by Orient Till I Die, 09 May 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#22 SF

SF

Don

• First Team
  • 11,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:38 AM

Our chairman released this statement in May 2011, so next year will be the third season on from this. We do now have a Category 2 academy and state of the art training facilities and we're seeing quite a few youngsters breaking in so hopefully as the subsidy lowers we'll become more self-sufficient from our younger players anyway.

Seems a really sensible plan, wish PNE were a bit more open about finances but I suppose Hemmings has no real incentive to disclose what goes on.

#23 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 16,198 posts
  • Supports:Alcatraz United

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

Not sure on ours, but it's around that 1. somethng million afew of the others are at, but i believe ours is going down 15-20% this summer due to us getting 19% less attendances last season.

the Swindon amount does not suprise me, Abbott was moaning when we played them last August/September that we tried for one of the players they had and he openly just told Abbott we were not in their league in terms of wages they were offering.

That's why Mr Di Canio none of us lower league fans rate you as a manager as we know you worked on a hell of alot better than rest and moment as shown now you'd have to work within the same means you b*ggered off.

saying that a 2 mill budget should be good here, but i'd guess Swindon could go down because they are going to struggle to get rid of any they want rid of if contracted, may have to just sell whoever other clubs would still purchase, not be able to bring any in etc, etc.

#24 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

Surely Bristol City are in a world of trouble if they were spending £18M last season? That seems like an incredible amount, although granted I have no idea how much a lower half Championship side would normally spend. 

#25 SF

SF

Don

• First Team
  • 11,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Surely Bristol City are in a world of trouble if they were spending £18M last season? That seems like an incredible amount, although granted I have no idea how much a lower half Championship side would normally spend. 

I don't think we were a million miles away from that, around £13-£15m I think I read, that's on pretty much the same crowds.

We were already cost cutting before we came down though.

#26 Andrewboom

Andrewboom
  • First Team
  • 618 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Kaufman any idea what amount Di Canio was on?  I see you have only realeased a few players, so I presume a fair whack of the reduction has been made by Di Canio leaving?

#27 MaccasAffair

MaccasAffair
  • First Team
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Carlisle

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:09 AM

I'd say our wage bill would be around our league position if not a bit above.

#28 SF

SF

Don

• First Team
  • 11,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

I don't think we were a million miles away from that, around £13-£15m I think I read, that's on pretty much the same crowds.

We were already cost cutting before we came down though.

According to The Independent our wage bill was £11.6m before we began cost cutting while in the Championship, so quite a bit less than Bristol City's

#29 BigDaveCUFC

BigDaveCUFC
  • First Team
  • 16,198 posts
  • Supports:Alcatraz United

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

it'll be in the lower half already Macca as we cut our budget last summer.

Mind as it currently stands i'd say ours is lowest in league, the players out of contract most will be decent earners, Miller, Robson, McGovern, Simek, Murphy i'd guess will be in among our highest, Collin was on first team wages also.

so we've lost 5 maybe 6 of our high earning players with them decisions made last week.

#30 Di Phelpsio

Di Phelpsio

I Post Bad Bitches

• First Team
  • 2,159 posts
  • Supports:Swindon

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:16 AM

Di Canio's inital deal was 200k a year, which isn't too bad. Then we went and won the league and his ego got the best of him. He threw a paddy and tried to get a new deal. Andrew Black at the time was very close to selling the club, PDC asked for a deal around 600-800k a year, Black agreed this, as he knew/thought he wouldnt be at the club much longer. Either way, 11k a week for a manager at League One level is absolutely ridiculous! So I imagine PDC's wages and his staff wages cut from our wage bill will knock off 1million. We also released 5 first teamers today.

But we have bloody Gary Roberts on about £5-6k a week, all because Paolo was desperate for him, The only downside is that he's shit! We have heck of a lot of high earners left on the books with very little sell on value, like Navarro, Williams and Roberts. We really need to shift them on as they are picking up a hefty wage but not offering much on the pitch.

#31 RainhamEndGills

RainhamEndGills

Gatorade me, bitch

• First Team
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:17 AM

Why in the fuck would he agree to give him a ridiculous deal just because he was leaving?

#32 MaccasAffair

MaccasAffair
  • First Team
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Carlisle

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

it'll be in the lower half already Macca as we cut our budget last summer.

Mind as it currently stands i'd say ours is lowest in league, the players out of contract most will be decent earners, Miller, Robson, McGovern, Simek, Murphy i'd guess will be in among our highest, Collin was on first team wages also.

so we've lost 5 maybe 6 of our high earning players with them decisions made last week.

Apparently Boro were subsidising Miller's wage quite heavily, he won't get anything like what he was getting in the location he wants anywhere other than Rangers.

Edwards apparently has a good contract as well, absolute madness.

#33 Di Phelpsio

Di Phelpsio

I Post Bad Bitches

• First Team
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

Have no idea why, but it was probably just to shut Paolo up. Plus our chairman at the time, Jeremy Wray was absolutely in love with PDC.

#34 SF

SF

Don

• First Team
  • 11,638 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:25 AM

The more I read about Swindon's finances the more I think Di Canio was talking shit in saying we offered Holmes more than they could match.

I think the max we pay is about £3k these days.

#35 Di Phelpsio

Di Phelpsio

I Post Bad Bitches

• First Team
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

It certainly looks like Di Canio has fucked our club over big time. We are paying the price now.

#36 White Army

White Army
  • First Team
  • 1,615 posts
  • Supports:Tranmere Rovers

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Hopefully our budget will be a bit higher next season as we had a 20% rise in attendance. How much of that was spent on the Sidibe loan though i dont know. 

#37 PlayUpBrompton

PlayUpBrompton

Tommy Forecast's Shadow

• First Team
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think I remember an article last time we were in this division which had our total cost of playing staff and coaches at around £2.2m. I don't think we'll be working on anything significantly bigger than that this time round.

#38 big mean bunny

big mean bunny
  • First Team
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:53 AM

Fantastic to read that Colchester thing, we get very little concrete knowledge or figures from clubs so its nice to see.

#39 Oxfordshire is Wonderful

Oxfordshire is Wonderful
  • First Team
  • 1,131 posts
  • Supports:Oxford United F.C

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:13 PM

It certainly looks like Di Canio has fucked our club over big time. We are paying the price now.

I speak for all Oxford fans when I say

Told you so.

#40 Di Phelpsio

Di Phelpsio

I Post Bad Bitches

• First Team
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:15 PM

I speak for all Oxford fans when I say

Told you so.

Do you want a pat on the head? 'Atta Boy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users