Photo

Diving / Cheating Is It Now Accepted In The Premier League?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 14 To Banned

14 To Banned
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 1,026 posts
  • Supports:Everton Football Club

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Everton have lost partly down to a Sunderland player diving to win a penalty ( 100% dive, watch MOTD) and Howard was sent off.

I notice Suarez was being pulled in the box v City ( clear penalty) and then he dives vertically in the air to try and win a penalty, making himself look stupid for acting etc

It's about time players are punished with bans and i mean proper bans and not pocket change fines.

Cost Everton the game that today as they played 75% of the game with 10 men.

And Suarez should not have jumped in the air he was already being fouled why cheat by jumping in the air.

Fuming here fuming.

grrrrrr

#2 Catapult

Catapult
  • First Team
  • 3,498 posts
  • Supports:Liverpool FC

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

ask barkley/neville if its allowed or not. both got yellow for diving in last 2 derby game. :rolleyes:

#3 Eide

Eide
  • First Team
  • 335 posts
  • Supports:AFC Ajax

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Not sure what you mean with "now accepted". I'll add some names if you like, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard and of course Beckham. You can find pages and pages of them diving on Youtube. Of course Micheal Owen's dive against Argentina in 1998 is possibly the most famous of all of those as far as English players go. I could quite possibly go back quite a bit further but that would be besides the point (and yeah, I could probably name just as many Dutch players as well).

Then there's a host of considerations. First you need to consider what action will warrent closer review. Are slowmotion reviews from every angle to to penalize touches which are considered to light to warrent a penalty as well? What about all those defenders dropping like stones as soon as they feel another player. Secondly you'll be penalising for unpsortmanlike behaviour, a foul which generally carries a yellow card, not a red card. So what FA rule are you going to base those bans on? Finally there's the final result, which you're not going to be able to overturn.

The only real solution is for the FIFA and UEFA to get their thumbs out of their arses and implement technical assistance for refs such as Hawkeye for the goalline or a video ref for reviewing a situation of the field.

#4 Silkyman

Silkyman
  • First Team
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:12 AM

As Shearer said on MOTD. Skrtel was pulling Kompany's shirt at every corner. So if Suarez should have had a pen, City should have had tw oor three.

How do you deal with it without just having zero tolerance and five or six penalties a game for a few weeks?

#5 Chelsea Royale

Chelsea Royale
  • First Team
  • 956 posts
  • Supports:Chelsea

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:13 AM

United seem to think so. :fish:

#6 rudebwoyben

rudebwoyben
  • First Team
  • 1,812 posts
  • Supports:Barnet

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:17 AM

Not sure what you mean with "now accepted". I'll add some names if you like, Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard and of course Beckham. You can find pages and pages of them diving on Youtube. Of course Micheal Owen's dive against Argentina in 1998 is possibly the most famous of all of those as far as English players go. I could quite possibly go back quite a bit further but that would be besides the point (and yeah, I could probably name just as many Dutch players as well).

Then there's a host of considerations. First you need to consider what action will warrent closer review. Are slowmotion reviews from every angle to to penalize touches which are considered to light to warrent a penalty as well? What about all those defenders dropping like stones as soon as they feel another player. Secondly you'll be penalising for unpsortmanlike behaviour, a foul which generally carries a yellow card, not a red card. So what FA rule are you going to base those bans on? Finally there's the final result, which you're not going to be able to overturn.

The only real solution is for the FIFA and UEFA to get their thumbs out of their arses and implement technical assistance for refs such as Hawkeye for the goalline or a video ref for reviewing a situation of the field.

The Owen dive was in 2002, not unless he dived in 1998 as well (I can't remember).
Players diving is endemic at all levels of the English game, not just in the Premier League.

#7 NotAtAllNeutral1

NotAtAllNeutral1
  • First Team
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

I feel like it all started with Rooney's dive against Arsenal that ended their unbeaten run.

#8 SamScfc

SamScfc

How I love your...

• First Team
  • 4,931 posts
  • Supports:Rather not say

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:34 AM

Ki didn't dive?

#9 Silkyman

Silkyman
  • First Team
  • 9,361 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Ki didn't, but Wayne did.

#10 Spear

Spear

Jeg planter en tra

• Lifetime Supporter
  • 43,342 posts
  • Supports:Scotland

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

I made a thread about this but it was closed

I forgot the golden rule :lol:

#11 Pagnell

Pagnell

Caught By The River

• Admin
  • 37,331 posts
  • Supports:A wife and three kids

Posted 27 December 2013 - 08:59 AM

As Shearer said on MOTD. Skrtel was pulling Kompany's shirt at every corner. So if Suarez should have had a pen, City should have had tw oor three.

How do you deal with it without just having zero tolerance and five or six penalties a game for a few weeks?

Every Liverpool fan I know recognised what Skrtel has been doing recently and know that expecting a penalty for what happened to Suarez would have been a piss take. I certainly had no complaints when it wasn't given.

#12 Masterwig

Masterwig

REMEMBER WHERE YOU CAME FROM

• 9,520 posts
  • Supports:Manchester City

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

Skrtel has always played like that and as he goes unpunished he'll keep doing it. A while back refs seemed to be clamping down on it but at the moment it seems you're allowed to pull and hold players at set pieces. As long as officials are consistent I won't complain too much but it is an area I'd like to see more action.

Diving is a harder one to spot. Players sometimes fool officials but I think they're reasonably good at spotting a dive and they do usually take action.

Shouting abuse at officials is something else I'd like to see more action on. As someone who has refereed in grassroots football it makes it difficult for officials at that level when Premier League players are allowed to shout all sorts of abuse at officials. People see that, especially kids and think it's acceptable. I actually sent someone off for it once and he said "Rooney said exactly the same last week and wasn't even booked so how can you send me off?" We complain about a lack of respect but the FA's Respect campaign is undermined completely when officials allow players to abuse them like they do. It's probably my biggest issue with the way the game is officiated at the top level.

#13 Nash

Nash
  • 2,959 posts
  • Supports:Spurs

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

The trouble is that referees need to be able to spot the difference between an attempt to con the referee and a genuine loss of balance which can happen in a high speed situation. It's not that easy considering the game happens to fast.

Suarez might have had some sympathy if he hadn't flung himself in mid air, threw his hands out and started protesting before he hit the ground. Ironic because he was fouled.

#14 Nomad

Nomad
  • First Team
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:24 AM

Suarez might have had some sympathy if he hadn't flung himself in mid air, threw his hands out and started protesting before he hit the ground. Ironic because he was fouled.

He might get some sympathy from punters, but throwing yourself dramatically is more effective with refs.

Ref would not have given a penalty if he had stayed on his feet, either.

When you are fouled the most effective action seems to be to go down or stop playing.

#15 Pagnell

Pagnell

Caught By The River

• Admin
  • 37,331 posts
  • Supports:A wife and three kids

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

Suarez will always struggle to get decisions regardless, and he has himself to blame for that after spending so long acting like a cnut on the pitch trying to con referees. He has improved in this respect though, as I'm sure even the most staunch anti-Suarez would admit. And it appears to have benefited his game as he spends more time concentrating on scoring goals and less on looking for the slightest touch to go down.

#16 Chelsealad

Chelsealad
  • First Team
  • 1,804 posts
  • Supports:Chelsea

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

Almost everybody cheats, some just do it more than others and to different levels.

How many people appeal for a throw-in or corner when they know it is not theirs? That is cheating - they are trying to con the referee. Same for lifting your arm up to flag somebody offside when they are not offside. Same with tugging shirts at corners. They all shout abuse at officials as well. I think deliberately taking somebody out with no intention of taking the ball is cheating as well, but people used to absolutely love that 'back in the day'.

Diving is obviously considered worse, and it is appalling, but it's such a tricky issue because it's hard to say when somebody was clipped enough to fall etc. For example Ki's foot was clearly clipped but it looks like he always planned on going down. But it does seem to have been allowed to get worse.

So basically yes, I think cheating is accepted and has for a while. People just seem to have a particular intolerance to diving and exaggeration, particularly when foreign players do it, probably because people like to think of our culture as more honest and manly.

#17 14 To Banned

14 To Banned
  • Early Bath (Banned)
  • 1,026 posts
  • Supports:Everton Football Club

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

it should be stopped, if it happened in the midfield players would be booked

#18 Eamonn7

Eamonn7
  • First Team
  • 8,357 posts
  • Supports:Man United

Posted 27 December 2013 - 12:50 PM

Lets be honest, if it leads to 3 points then you condemn it on here to save face and say how you wish it didnt happen but inside you really dont care and take those 3 points and are happy whichever way it comes. 

#19 St Nick

St Nick
  • Supporter
  • 5,834 posts
  • Supports:Southampton

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Rodney Marsh

#20 Tesl

Tesl
  • First Team
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

Well as a Utd fan you would say that, given your team are currently the standout biggest culprits. 

Personally I hate it and would like to see a lot of effort going into cleaning up that side of the game and stamping it out, with super harsh penalties being given until players learn. If that means lots of 10 game suspensions for diving and 6 penalties a game then so be it, if it sorts things out eventually. 

Will never happen though. 

#21 Catapult

Catapult
  • First Team
  • 3,498 posts
  • Supports:Liverpool FC

Posted 27 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

How you people miss Kompany was holding skrtel shirt too. it is a light hold to keep track with his man (which happens all the time in every game) not like lescott on suarez at all.

Edited by Catapult, 27 December 2013 - 01:23 PM.

#22 Super_Horns

Super_Horns

Watford Till I Die

• First Team
  • 24,756 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

Refs tend to spot a dive if the player throws his arms in the air like Walcott did against Chelsea and Suarez yesterday...

Other than that is quite hard I guess...

#23 Sammels

Sammels
  • First Team
  • 2,875 posts
  • Supports:Arsenal

Posted 27 December 2013 - 04:40 PM

Lets be honest, if it leads to 3 points then you condemn it on here to save face and say how you wish it didnt happen but inside you really dont care and take those 3 points and are happy whichever way it comes. 

Hmm not true for me. There's an incident that still sticks in my mind which I mentioned before - when Cazorla dived for a pen against West Brom in 2012. We ran out 2-0 winners but it felt like an extremely hollow victory.

#24 cuzza

cuzza
  • First Team
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

How you people miss Kompany was holding skrtel shirt too. it is a light hold to keep track with his man (which happens all the time in every game) not like lescott on suarez at all.

You just can't make it up.