12th December Match Thread

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
There is anti football then there is Keith Curle anti football. When your getting players booked in the 25 minute for time wasting that says it all. I’m just so glad that football won out today. It really should have been by a lot of more and having to rely on 94th minute winner. But I’m just really glad we beat them.

It was also fantastic to be back in the ground after 280 long long days. Only having 2000 fans didn’t really detract from the match day experience, it was a very decent atmosphere today. Didn’t really miss the fact there was no away fans but I expect that to change as the novelty wears off.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Northampton the absolute worst. Zero talent, negative from the minute go. They deserved an absolute pasting today, nearly got it if it wasn’t for our horrific attempt at finishing.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
When your down to ten men with 20 minutes to play away from home, I'm not sure how you'd expect a team to play
No excuse for everything that came before it though.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
Really hard fought game today, we deserved the 3 points but Swindon made us fight all the way . Stalwart defending in the last 25 minutes or so saw us over the line. There is something so rewarding about winning an away game by 1-0, seeing as we have lost by that score at Rochdale/Cobblers, and also losing by that same score at home to the Wombles and the Lashers, this was overdue - well done Cods

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
When your down to ten men with 20 minutes to play away from home, I'm not sure how you'd expect a team to play
The sending off made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
There is anti football then there is Keith Curle anti football. When your getting players booked in the 25 minute for time wasting that says it all. I’m just so glad that football won out today. It really should have been by a lot of more and having to rely on 94th minute winner. But I’m just really glad we beat them.

It was also fantastic to be back in the ground after 280 long long days. Only having 2000 fans didn’t really detract from the match day experience, it was a very decent atmosphere today. Didn’t really miss the fact there was no away fans but I expect that to change as the novelty wears off.
They just showed no desire whatsoever. I have absolutely no problem with teams going direct, but you’ve got to at least give it a go and want to get a result. Different styles often make for a decent spectacle. But that was fucking shocking today. Absolutely pathetic. And judging by their forum, they are like that most weeks.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
The sending off made absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Well, it took you to the last minute of injury time to score the winner, so I think it's a bold statement to suggest that playing against 11 men wouldn't have made any difference to the result. Not justifying the style, but despite how poor it is to watch it was very close to actually working.

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
TBH mate I’m not digging out Northampton as a club. It’s the management team I’m after here. I’m also not particularly passing judgment on Crewe’s performance, and whether we should have won or not. If I was, I would berate our poor finishing yet again (we could very easily have scored 6 or 7 or maybe more). I know Crewe have issues, and I have been very vocal about them. But if I was a Northampton fan, I would be absolutely livid with Curle as my manager. Makes Steve Davis look like God.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Made no difference what so ever. You were just as negative before the red card. You literally scored after 3 mins then parked the bus.

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Made no difference what so ever. You were just as negative before the red card. You literally scored after 3 mins then parked the bus.
I will actually give them credit for that (the goal that is). They knew we would be terrified about their set pieces, so decided to slip one down the side early doors. Pretty clever.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Well, it took you to the last minute of injury time to score the winner, so I think it's a bold statement to suggest that playing against 11 men wouldn't have made any difference to the result. Not justifying the style, but despite how poor it is to watch it was very close to actually working.
Mate come on. How many leads do we squander because as soon as we go ahead we just abandon any attempt to get another goal? Happened loads last year, what was it 3 or 4 2-0 leads thrown away? Happened at Rochdale the other week.

I might sort of get it away at the team who are top of the league, but I’m sick to the back teeth of doing it against Crewe, Rochdale etc.

Sick of Curle’s style, yes it’s been effective in parts and might keep us up but fuck me it’s negative dross.

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Won 2-1 but if it had been 9-1 it wouldn’t have flattered us, seriously need to start putting chances away. The strangest thing from today was that Fatty stayed in the stands all game, not sure if Kettle had a word or he got stuck in a seat
Fatty was probably serving another touchline ban.
We were awful yesterday.
For the first half an hour we just sat off and watched.
Should have gone in 4 or 5 down at half time.
Better second half but still shite.
Donny looked OK but difficult to judge as we were that poor.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Mate come on. How many leads do we squander because as soon as we go ahead we just abandon any attempt to get another goal? Happened loads last year, what was it 3 or 4 2-0 leads thrown away? Happened at Rochdale the other week.

I might sort of get it away at the team who are top of the league, but I’m sick to the back teeth of doing it against Crewe, Rochdale etc.

Sick of Curle’s style, yes it’s been effective in parts and might keep us up but fuck me it’s negative dross.

Oh yeah, I agree, and particularly until we lost the man there was no excuse for how we played it, I don't think our midfield took more than a single touch, and it's definiltely not fun to what the opposition have 80% possession. But the thing is that on two occasions it's come close to working, as opposed to Portsmouth which was the last time we tried to give it a go and we got smashed 4-0 . I think the Oxford City result has made him lose belief in the players, so now we're just going to play it as tight as possible. If we get smashed 3 or 4 nil by someone eventually, then hopefully we'll give up playing it, but so far nobody has really managed to take advantage of having 70-80% odd possession.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Looking at the L1 table on the BBC site where it shows you form over the last five and it's noticeable, and understandably so, how inconsistent everyone is.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Not as consistent as Plymouth, mind!

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Oh yeah, I agree, and particularly until we lost the man there was no excuse for how we played it, I don't think our midfield took more than a single touch, and it's definiltely not fun to what the opposition have 80% possession. But the thing is that on two occasions it's come close to working, as opposed to Portsmouth which was the last time we tried to give it a go and we got smashed 4-0 . I think the Oxford City result has made him lose belief in the players, so now we're just going to play it as tight as possible. If we get smashed 3 or 4 nil by someone eventually, then hopefully we'll give up playing it, but so far nobody has really managed to take advantage of having 70-80% odd possession.

I’m surprised you think it’s effective because it took us until the 94th minute to go ahead, when if the likes of Wintle had not smashed over from 10 yards or Kirk hadn’t smacked it wide when a shot on target would most likely have scored (to name 2 of 23 chances), you wouldn’t have been even close to taking a point. Plus, you’re in 18th. It’s clearly not effective. I think the only excuse for that kind of football is if you back it up with a promotion push as underdogs. Otherwise it’s the worst of both worlds. Like Danny, it’s not personal to Northampton, it’s just seems that Keith Curle is an absolute waste of space who brings nothing to the game.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
I’m surprised you think it’s effective because it took us until the 94th minute to go ahead, when if the likes of Wintle had not smashed over from 10 yards or Kirk hadn’t smacked it wide when a shot on target would most likely have scored (to name 2 of 23 chances), you wouldn’t have been even close to taking a point. Plus, you’re in 18th. It’s clearly not effective. I think the only excuse for that kind of football is if you back it up with a promotion push as underdogs. Otherwise it’s the worst of both worlds. Like Danny, it’s not personal to Northampton, it’s just seems that Keith Curle is an absolute waste of space who brings nothing to the game.
I think a perfect demonstration of Curle’s style working was Cheltenham in the play off semi and beating Exeter at Wembley. Very direct but we ran all over them, countless chances and bags of goals and it was exciting to watch. But there’s no doubt at the minute he’s got the balance seriously wrong.

It also doesn’t give you any breathing space because any poor run and the fans will be clamouring for him to be sacked.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I think the funniest thing about reading all this is that Curle likes to shut up shop and play negatively but the game he decided to go for it was against Portsmouth :lol:

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
The ironic thing is that Curle used to like his teams to play football and looked down his nose at those who didn't.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Pompey fans want Jackett out?? Look strong promotion contenders for me

Yes, we're definitely looking good at the moment. However, we have been in this same position the past two seasons and then fallen away to play-off semi final defeat ignominy. Football management being what it is, Jackett's still very fortunate to be having his fourth attempt at this. He can thank coronavirus for that. Sunderland have had a very similar record to us the past couple of years and they're on their third manager.

Credit where credit's due though. We are looking strong and have cover in pretty much every position, which is some achievement with the salary cap, and having some no doubt high earners (e.g. Marquis, Harness?). We've been pretty lucky with injuries too, considering it's been two games a week for much of the season.

As for you guys, not looking great. Lambert seems pretty clueless - he's on a long contract isn't he?

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Crewe fans moaning about Northampton brings back memories of Wycombe last season.

Those scars still run deep

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Yes, we're definitely looking good at the moment. However, we have been in this same position the past two seasons and then fallen away to play-off semi final defeat ignominy. Football management being what it is, Jackett's still very fortunate to be having his fourth attempt at this. He can thank coronavirus for that. Sunderland have had a very similar record to us the past couple of years and they're on their third manager.

Credit where credit's due though. We are looking strong and have cover in pretty much every position, which is some achievement with the salary cap, and having some no doubt high earners (e.g. Marquis, Harness?). We've been pretty lucky with injuries too, considering it's been two games a week for much of the season.

As for you guys, not looking great. Lambert seems pretty clueless - he's on a long contract isn't he?

Only 4 a bit years to go, that's all.

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra

When you beat us 4-1 at your place last season, a match I went to, I was impressed, you were not pretty on the eye but you were very effective, you knew you had a team visiting who like to get it down and play and you did everything to make it uncomfortable for us, before we could blink we were 3-0 down and had not worked out what to do, Northampton and Curle made no apologies for their style (why should they) and I could see you would go up and could become a bit of a bogey team for us,. So when you when you went 1-0 up on Saturday I thought here we go again, you started with high balls into the box and made it awkward for the 1st 5-10 minutes, but then it stopped, we woke up and just rattled up the possession for the rest of the 1st half without making the keeper work too hard, but you could see what was coming. In the second half it was defence v attack, I could not work out for the life of me why your keeper was kicking it out of his hands deliberately into touch, why not try and get the big youth up front to hold it up, it was just giving us the ball back to start another attack. We could have had 6 in that second half, I will say I thought your defence were working their socks off, plenty of off the lines and blocks, but scoring at the death was more than we deserved, the timewasting played into our hands as it gave us longer to grind you down, and having fans in the ground helped as we were willing the team on as we could scene it and had scene this match play out before, last season at home to Oldham.

I get why some teams play cautiously if they have got a lead, but that was insane seeing as how early you got the lead to try and cling on for 87 minutes. I thought Curle had a bit more about him than that, maybe he will have a look at himself and think about going for 2 when you get the first 1, I can't imagine you as fans are impressed with that type of outlook.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

Tbf, the cap is easier to navigate this season because of how existing contracts are calculated and players who aren't in squad lists not being included in the cap. It changes next season and that's where I think some Club's will start to feel the pinch more.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
When you beat us 4-1 at your place last season, a match I went to, I was impressed, you were not pretty on the eye but you were very effective, you knew you had a team visiting who like to get it down and play and you did everything to make it uncomfortable for us, before we could blink we were 3-0 down and had not worked out what to do, Northampton and Curle made no apologies for their style (why should they) and I could see you would go up and could become a bit of a bogey team for us,. So when you when you went 1-0 up on Saturday I thought here we go again, you started with high balls into the box and made it awkward for the 1st 5-10 minutes, but then it stopped, we woke up and just rattled up the possession for the rest of the 1st half without making the keeper work too hard, but you could see what was coming. In the second half it was defence v attack, I could not work out for the life of me why your keeper was kicking it out of his hands deliberately into touch, why not try and get the big youth up front to hold it up, it was just giving us the ball back to start another attack. We could have had 6 in that second half, I will say I thought your defence were working their socks off, plenty of off the lines and blocks, but scoring at the death was more than we deserved, the timewasting played into our hands as it gave us longer to grind you down, and having fans in the ground helped as we were willing the team on as we could scene it and had scene this match play out before, last season at home to Oldham.

I get why some teams play cautiously if they have got a lead, but that was insane seeing as how early you got the lead to try and cling on for 87 minutes. I thought Curle had a bit more about him than that, maybe he will have a look at himself and think about going for 2 when you get the first 1, I can't imagine you as fans are impressed with that type of outlook.

Yeah it’s frustrating because there’s an effective side in there with some decent attacking players they’re just not used.

These two articles have come out since the weekend which gives the local journo view and then Curle’s defence of the system

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!