You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

2020/2021 L2 Discussion

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Some rank awful signings around the lower leagues....Players with no pre season unfit etc

Panic time

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Viewing all the squads in this league:

A few things I've noticed:

-Most clubs are going for squads with around 16-18 pros and the rest being youngsters.
-Southend and Oldham appear to be lacking in numbers.
-Crawley IMO have a squad large on numbers but low of proven quality
-Port Vale, Cheltenham, Exeter and Orient appear to have the most settled sides with few changes
-Bolton have the biggest squad, but I don't think they have quality in their strength in depth

Will be interesting to see how many more clubs will add to already small squads, even Salfords squad is quite small but they have one of the best strength in depth in terms of quality.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

-Most clubs are going for squads with around 16-18 pros and the rest being youngsters.
-Port Vale, Cheltenham, Exeter and Orient appear to have the most settled sides with few changes
-Bolton have the biggest squad, but I don't think they have quality in their strength in depth

Will be interesting to see how many more clubs will add to already small squads, even Salfords squad is quite small but they have one of the best strength in depth in terms of quality.
I can take what you said about Bolton and admit we have 6 or 8 complete gambles. On the other hand we have some good young players you really do not know about who will excel given the chance

SirNat

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

Our squad really is 1-19 plus Baptiste. The majority of the rest will be sent out on work experience loans

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Terminator; to be honest I'm a little worried about Crawley this seasom . Adding Hessenthaler helps our midfield a lot but I agree with you're comment about a lack of quality.

Last season we had seen Bez Lubala in the friendlies and we knew he would do well. Which meant we were looking good up front. This season we need two to step up and we haven't seen them. Matthews, German, Frost, Ashford and Galach look very lightweight compared to Palmer and Lubala (Nadesan is still here).

Casey with his fingers crossed.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Terminator; to be honest I'm a little worried about Crawley this seasom . Adding Hessenthaler helps our midfield a lot but I agree with you're comment about a lack of quality.

Last season we had seen Bez Lubala in the friendlies and we knew he would do well. Which meant we were looking good up front. This season we need two to step up and we haven't seen them. Matthews, German, Frost, Ashford and Galach look very lightweight compared to Palmer and Lubala (Nadesan is still here).

Casey with his fingers crossed.

Interviews like this do not help either!!

This is shocking, one of the worst I've seen for a while!

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
Commented about this on the Crawley forum. He is normally blunt...a straight shooter type but this interview and the one he gave prior to the match are examples they should probably use at the LMA as examples of how not to do it.

For example the faint praise for our goalscorer is terrible seeing as it was the players first ever goal in the full professional ranks!

Be annoyed at our poor showing, be angry at having your players sold from under you but come up with something to say.

Casey

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Commented about this on the Crawley forum. He is normally blunt...a straight shooter type but this interview and the one he gave prior to the match are examples they should probably use at the LMA as examples of how not to do it.

For example the faint praise for our goalscorer is terrible seeing as it was the players first ever goal in the full professional ranks!

Be annoyed at our poor showing, be angry at having your players sold from under you but come up with something to say.

Casey
Would you run through brick walls for this fella? The is a place to bollock players thats the dressing room.

Going to be a hard season for Crawley

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Is anybody worried that Grimsby will go bust halfway through the season? They had all this time to do something about that potato patch of theirs due to the pandemic and yet somehow it looks to be in a worse state than Newports. One match into the new season!

They're flat broke is what I think. Must be the reason why they asked Ian Holloway for a donation to the club?

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Is anybody worried that Grimsby will go bust halfway through the season? They had all this time to do something about that potato patch of theirs due to the pandemic and yet somehow it looks to be in a worse state than Newports. One match into the new season!

They're flat broke is what I think. Must be the reason why they asked Ian Holloway for a donation to the club?

But pre-pandemic they signed off their biggest ever L2 budget, I don’t understand why they would be in more shit than other clubs.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Well while the likes of Cambridge were going around signing Premier League stars such as Wes Hoolahan before they had any idea of how much income they'd have, we were safeguarding the future of our club by furloughing staff - including the groundsman. It simply hasn't had any maintenance until it became too late.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Well while the likes of Cambridge were going around signing Premier League stars such as Wes Hoolahan before they had any idea of how much income they'd have, we were safeguarding the future of our club by furloughing staff - including the groundsman. It simply hasn't had any maintenance until it became too late.
Yeah, the other mans grass is always greener apparently.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
We've confirmed this evening that we will be going cashless next season, a ballot will be held if too many season ticket holders register to go to a game when fans are allowed back and that we will be doing a digital programme going forward.

Not confirmed yet, but aways fans look very, very unlikely at our ground at least until the new year.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Hector Bellerin has invested in FGR, becoming our second largest shareholder.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
I would think it's allowed - although if Arsenal get drawn against FGR in any cup i think he wouldn't be able to play due to a conflict of interests. Pique at Barca does something similar with a lower league Spanish team.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I would think it's allowed - although if Arsenal get drawn against FGR in any cup i think he wouldn't be able to play due to a conflict of interests. Pique at Barca does something similar with a lower league Spanish team.
"Bellerin's shareholding is not above a threshold where it would be deemed a conflict of interest."

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
10% is the limit I think?

Probably not difficult to become a second largest shareholder at FGR with Vince there.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby

What an absolutely ridiculous take this is, we’re one of the only clubs in this division to be profitable

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
What an absolutely ridiculous take this is, we’re one of the only clubs in this division to be profitable

Chill Lew, the going bust thing was only a tongue in cheek comment, as was Holloway donating money to the club.

But profitable or not, to have a pitch in such a state at this early stage of the season is tinpot. SOC did comment on this but I don't know if he was serious or taking the mick about the club putting the groundsman on furlough.

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Chill Lew, the going bust thing was only a tongue in cheek comment, as was Holloway donating money to the club.

But profitable or not, to have a pitch in such a state at this early stage of the season is tinpot. SOC did comment on this but I don't know if he was serious or taking the mick about the club putting the groundsman on furlough.
It looked absolutely fine last night so I don’t think the furlough thing was that far off, in fact, given that we furloughed our entire squad I’d be shocked if he wasn’t.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Bolton has been a feeder club for the rest of Manchester for the last 30 years, unfortunately they never produce any talent... :shifty:

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Bolton has been a feeder club for the rest of Manchester for the last 30 years, unfortunately they never produce any talent... :shifty:
Going back 30 years i cannot name one player that went from Bolton to Either City or United bar Dietmar Harmon
We had him for a day from Liverpool and sold him for 400K profit to City.
I wont list players we have produced and sold because they are numerous but crack on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill55bill