Stickied Confirmed Signings 2023/24

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Had a busy day yesterday, briefly saw we’d actually signed a striker and presumed hell had frozen over.

Wake up this morning to read Southend have paid actual real money for Harry Cardwell on the same day so I’m pretty sure an asteroid is coming to wipe us out very shortly

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Who is this Harry Cromwell people are constantly banging on about. Never heard of him but Wiki shows he has the goal record of a full back.

Stoney Ground

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
Who is this Harry Cromwell people are constantly banging on about. Never heard of him but Wiki shows he has the goal record of a full back.
This is usually where the ‘He’s The Messiah‘ joke comes in, but now there are two versions I’m not sure which one to use. Maybe we could have one for brotherhood signings and one for tin potters, that should clear it up.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Don't think Hurst had much choice to sign more players this month, especially with our form the way it was.

We have lost 6 players that need replacing and already needed a striker. 5 of those were loans recalled by their clubs. The 6th was apparently home sick and hardly started anyway.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
If the likes of Cardwell and Abrahams are all that's available I'm not surprised we haven't made any moves in this window yet.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Heard Stocky’s spreadsheet’s got him on £5k per week
Notts County fans are scurrying around trying to find his vaccination status as we speak

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
If the likes of Cardwell and Abrahams are all that's available I'm not surprised we haven't made any moves in this window yet.
Rowe's said this morning that we've made enquiries about a few players and clubs are asking for unrealistic figures, trying to hold us to ransom. I bet you're getting the same difficulties x10.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Rowe's said this morning that we've made enquiries about a few players and clubs are asking for unrealistic figures, trying to hold us to ransom. I bet you're getting the same difficulties x10.
We can’t complain though really. If someone came in for our key players we’d be absolutely fuming if we let them go for peanuts (especially to rivals in same league). Is what it is I guess, if a club feels they don’t need to sell, then that’s their call, we just have to move on to other targets!

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
We can’t complain though really. If someone came in for our key players we’d be absolutely fuming if we let them go for peanuts (especially to rivals in same league). Is what it is I guess, if a club feels they don’t need to sell, then that’s their call, we just have to move on to other targets!
That's not how it works ODL. When we want a player I want us to buy them for a bag of footballs and a promise of a kiss. When we sell I want a Kings ransom.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

Bound to happen. People know you have a few million in the back following the Chelsea game and the Nostradamus-esque insurance policy payout.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I do like his inference that clubs are holding their players’ careers back by not selling them to Chesterfield, though. :lol:

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I do like his inference that clubs are holding their players’ careers back by not selling them to Chesterfield, though. :lol:
I heard Burchnall had to resort to locking Roberts in the cleaners cupboard to stop him jumping in his car and shooting down the M1. Monster, curtailing his career like that

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Not to mention covid exacerbating things, with clubs even hanging on to their squad players just in case they get an outbreak and miss a few players. Asking prices might come down a bit towards the end of the window.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Maybe you have and these 2 turned Wrexham down. If thats Tammy's brother the best I can say he is a little quicker than Stefan Payne. But thats about it.

Colinmorriswalksonwater

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
In answer to your question, this might help....

Report in 'The Lancashire Post' Newspaper​

Chorley manager is proud to see striker Harry Cardwell earn a big move to Southend United.​

Chorley boss Jamie Vermiglio revealed he feels a deep a sense of pride at seeing striker Harry Cardwell return to full-time football by joining Southend United

The Magpies linchpin has departed Victory Park after being signed by the National League outfit for an undisclosed fee .

Signed in the summer of 2020 from Grimsby Town, Cardwell has scored 11 goals in 35 appearances for Chorley, including seven strikes from 14 games this season.

There had been plenty of interest in the burly target man but despite being linked with clubs in the Football League, the 25-year-old has opted to join the Shrimpers.

Despite currently languishing in 18th spot in the National League, Southend are certainly a big name who have spent the vast majority of their existence in the Football League, including a spell in the Championship during the 1990s.

While disappointed to lose Cardwell at such a crucial stage of the season with his men preparing to travel to National League North rivals Brackley Town in a crunch promotion clash this weekend, Vermiglio had been braced for interest in his talisman during the January transfer window.

And he admitted he could not stand in the way of the frontman's ambition to become a full-time professional player again.

"You know what, we took a little bit of a gamble on Harry a couple of years ago," said Vermiglio.

"It was a gamble in terms of he had a long-term injury which he was just coming back from.

"Most clubs probably would not have taken that risk but we invested a lot of time in securing the deal.

"We then invested a lot of time and effort with him physio-wise, recovery-wise, to get him back to the player that we thought he could be.

"I am pleased that he was able to do that with us over time.

"I think he's gone from strength-to-strength as a player and playing at this level has done him a world of good.

"He's played his most consistent football, his most regular football and he's scored some really important, crucial goals for us.

"In the main, his performances have been outstanding and he has become more consistent and a tougher player to come up against.

"It's been no surprise that there's been a lot of interest in him and no surprise from the player also. He wanted to leave and go back to full-time football.

"We always agreed that if a good opportunity came up which was good for the club and, in particular, good for him, then we would explore it.

"We have done that and he's managed to secure a move.

"We reluctantly have allowed him to leave. I want to make it clear, I wanted to keep him and I wanted to keep the lads together.

"But at the end of the day when you have a player who wants to go and play full-time football, it's very difficult to stop that - we couldn't stand in the way.

"He's ambitious to play in the league above and the league above that.

"He goes with our best wishes. We don't want to stand in the way of him and that's always been the message to our players.

"If there is something which is right, then it is a proud moment in some respects, knowing that you have helped a player develop and kick-on in their career."

Despite speculation over his future in recent weeks, Cardwell's head was not turned by the reported interest and he remained completely committed to the Magpies.

"I would say there's been interest in him from five or six clubs from the league above and League Two," said Vermiglio.

"The last couple of months have been tricky for us because we've known there has been interest in him but Harry has been thoroughly professional in terms of his performances.

"I have always been transparent with the interest in him. I always said I would do that.

"But he's always been 100% committed to our cause and I think we have seen that in the last six or seven games where he's had all this going on but he's been very professional."

Born in Yorkshire, Cardwell began his career at Hull City as a junior before joining Reading as a youth team player.

He failed to make a single appearance in the first-team with the Royals and spent time on loan at Woking and Braintree.

He also spent a period with Brighton and Hove Albion's Under-23s, but his career finally had lift-off when he moved to Grimsby Town.

A three-year stint with the Mariners followed before he eventually signed for Chorley.

In his 18-months at Victory Park. Cardwell has become a key figure despite the difficulties of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Last season, he was immense as Chorley remarkably reached the fourth round proper of the FA Cup.

He scored in the first round proper as the Magpies came from behind to beat League One Wigan Athletic 3-2 at the DW Stadium and was the man-of-the-match as Chorley defeated Peterborough United 2-1 at London Road in the next round.

A Covid-19 depleted Derby County were brushed aside in the third round 2-0 at Victory Park and Cardwell then went on to serve notice of his abilities by giving the defence of Premier League Wolves - which included England international Conor Coady - a torrid time in the fourth round .

The Wanderers eventually prevailed 1-0 in a tight game.

When the 2020-21 National League North season was curtailed due to the pandemic, Cardwell moved on loan to Stockport County for the rest of the season.

It is believed the Hatters were keen to take him permanently and were close to securing his signature this season, but the deal fell through.

Vermiglio believes Cardwell has got the ability to be a success in the National League and beyond that.

"I am confident that he can do well at the next level," Vermiglio said. "Without doubt he can kick on and hopefully he can go from strength to strength.

"He's been phenomenal for us and perhaps has not scored the goals that he's deserved for his performances.

"He's hit the post on numerous occasions and shot just wide on numerous occasions or the goalkeepers have made some great saves.

"He is inches from being a 20-goals-a-season man

"I am hopeful that will come for him but in terms of an all-round striker, a No.9, his performances have been terrific.

"To to be able to hold it up and win flick-ons like he does, to be good in both boxes like he is, he can run in behind, he is big and strong.

"The good thing about Harry is he's a good listener too."

nuffsaid

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Ditto for us. I seem to remember Challinor getting quite a few loan signings in at Hartlepool but so far nada for us. We're OK for the moment even if Quigley misses a couple of games (as seems likely) but if Madden gets a knock or suspension our forward line will start to look a bit weak.

nuffsaid

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
In answer to your question, this might help....

Report in 'The Lancashire Post' Newspaper​

Chorley manager is proud to see striker Harry Cardwell earn a big move to Southend United.​

Chorley boss Jamie Vermiglio revealed he feels a deep a sense of pride at seeing striker Harry Cardwell return to full-time football by joining Southend United

The Magpies linchpin has departed Victory Park after being signed by the National League outfit for an undisclosed fee .

Signed in the summer of 2020 from Grimsby Town, Cardwell has scored 11 goals in 35 appearances for Chorley, including seven strikes from 14 games this season.

There had been plenty of interest in the burly target man but despite being linked with clubs in the Football League, the 25-year-old has opted to join the Shrimpers.

Despite currently languishing in 18th spot in the National League, Southend are certainly a big name who have spent the vast majority of their existence in the Football League, including a spell in the Championship during the 1990s.

While disappointed to lose Cardwell at such a crucial stage of the season with his men preparing to travel to National League North rivals Brackley Town in a crunch promotion clash this weekend, Vermiglio had been braced for interest in his talisman during the January transfer window.

And he admitted he could not stand in the way of the frontman's ambition to become a full-time professional player again.

"You know what, we took a little bit of a gamble on Harry a couple of years ago," said Vermiglio.

"It was a gamble in terms of he had a long-term injury which he was just coming back from.

"Most clubs probably would not have taken that risk but we invested a lot of time in securing the deal.

"We then invested a lot of time and effort with him physio-wise, recovery-wise, to get him back to the player that we thought he could be.

"I am pleased that he was able to do that with us over time.

"I think he's gone from strength-to-strength as a player and playing at this level has done him a world of good.

"He's played his most consistent football, his most regular football and he's scored some really important, crucial goals for us.

"In the main, his performances have been outstanding and he has become more consistent and a tougher player to come up against.

"It's been no surprise that there's been a lot of interest in him and no surprise from the player also. He wanted to leave and go back to full-time football.

"We always agreed that if a good opportunity came up which was good for the club and, in particular, good for him, then we would explore it.

"We have done that and he's managed to secure a move.

"We reluctantly have allowed him to leave. I want to make it clear, I wanted to keep him and I wanted to keep the lads together.

"But at the end of the day when you have a player who wants to go and play full-time football, it's very difficult to stop that - we couldn't stand in the way.

"He's ambitious to play in the league above and the league above that.

"He goes with our best wishes. We don't want to stand in the way of him and that's always been the message to our players.

"If there is something which is right, then it is a proud moment in some respects, knowing that you have helped a player develop and kick-on in their career."

Despite speculation over his future in recent weeks, Cardwell's head was not turned by the reported interest and he remained completely committed to the Magpies.

"I would say there's been interest in him from five or six clubs from the league above and League Two," said Vermiglio.

"The last couple of months have been tricky for us because we've known there has been interest in him but Harry has been thoroughly professional in terms of his performances.

"I have always been transparent with the interest in him. I always said I would do that.

"But he's always been 100% committed to our cause and I think we have seen that in the last six or seven games where he's had all this going on but he's been very professional."

Born in Yorkshire, Cardwell began his career at Hull City as a junior before joining Reading as a youth team player.

He failed to make a single appearance in the first-team with the Royals and spent time on loan at Woking and Braintree.

He also spent a period with Brighton and Hove Albion's Under-23s, but his career finally had lift-off when he moved to Grimsby Town.

A three-year stint with the Mariners followed before he eventually signed for Chorley.

In his 18-months at Victory Park. Cardwell has become a key figure despite the difficulties of the Covid-19 pandemic.

Last season, he was immense as Chorley remarkably reached the fourth round proper of the FA Cup.

He scored in the first round proper as the Magpies came from behind to beat League One Wigan Athletic 3-2 at the DW Stadium and was the man-of-the-match as Chorley defeated Peterborough United 2-1 at London Road in the next round.

A Covid-19 depleted Derby County were brushed aside in the third round 2-0 at Victory Park and Cardwell then went on to serve notice of his abilities by giving the defence of Premier League Wolves - which included England international Conor Coady - a torrid time in the fourth round .

The Wanderers eventually prevailed 1-0 in a tight game.

When the 2020-21 National League North season was curtailed due to the pandemic, Cardwell moved on loan to Stockport County for the rest of the season.

It is believed the Hatters were keen to take him permanently and were close to securing his signature this season, but the deal fell through.

Vermiglio believes Cardwell has got the ability to be a success in the National League and beyond that.

"I am confident that he can do well at the next level," Vermiglio said. "Without doubt he can kick on and hopefully he can go from strength to strength.

"He's been phenomenal for us and perhaps has not scored the goals that he's deserved for his performances.

"He's hit the post on numerous occasions and shot just wide on numerous occasions or the goalkeepers have made some great saves.

"He is inches from being a 20-goals-a-season man

"I am hopeful that will come for him but in terms of an all-round striker, a No.9, his performances have been terrific.

"To to be able to hold it up and win flick-ons like he does, to be good in both boxes like he is, he can run in behind, he is big and strong.

"The good thing about Harry is he's a good listener too."
It's OK Jamie you've sold him now so you can't stop with the BS.

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Depends, if he said that about somebody like Roberts it would obviously be a ridiculous inference, if he's talking about [Player X] from Kings Lynn it's a different kettle of fish innit.

Obviously a club has the right to demand whatever fee they like regardless, though.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
They are by far the best team in the league though. Players will be falling over each other to join;)

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Just the one signing for Grimsby this week. So far.

That's 21 signings for Phil "Paul Hurst" Hunt this season alone. Genuine stat that.

I am refusing to comment as I am on amicable terms with my Grimsby friends on here. I don't want to lose friends on here in case I get into an argument with Chesterfield fans again. That was a tough night for the notifications.

But Grimsby and their signings.

It'll all come out in the wash* at the end of the season

*- excel spreadsheet
I think that's 7 out and 5 in since Christmas, but I've stopped counting both ways to be fair. Has been proven that all our signings are on £100-£500 p/w though so please factor that into the Excel.

AJS

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
Jeff King was in the summer :shifty:
Genuinely don’t think we’ve missed him. He wouldn’t suit our current system at all unless he played on the wing but he never particularly impressed when he did play there for us.

Not to say he isn’t a good player but his discipline (ironic given his comments) and defensive awareness are really left to be desired. Tyrell Warren & Jay Benn been more than adequate replacements.

Colinmorriswalksonwater

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Out of interest SOC and other Grimsby contributors on here, on Tuesday night's fans updates meeting, it was revealed that in Kev Maher's interview to get the managers job, part of his presentation was comparing the good work done by Grimsby in reshaping your squad to get ready for the NL campaign, players in, players out and age range of the squad, compared to the job done by the previous regime here. creating an imbalanced squad with too many youngsters and older players and a shortage of 24-27 year olds. As well as making the same comparisons with other clubs already in the NL.

An area which we are now playing catch up on in our recruiting.

Shrimpurh

Reaction score
Supports
Southend
As said yesterday by yours truly
Noor Husin confirmed 2.5 year deal

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Out of interest SOC and other Grimsby contributors on here, on Tuesday night's fans updates meeting, it was revealed that in Kev Maher's interview to get the managers job, part of his presentation was comparing the good work done by Grimsby in reshaping your squad to get ready for the NL campaign, players in, players out and age range of the squad, compared to the job done by the previous regime here. creating an imbalanced squad with too many youngsters and older players and a shortage of 24-27 year olds. As well as making the same comparisons with other clubs already in the NL.

And this GOT him the job, you say?

Shrimper92

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Undisclosed fee.

Rumblings of concerned National League members about us spending our way up

Colinmorriswalksonwater

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
And this GOT him the job, you say?
No not GOT him the job, but was a big influence on putting him ahead of the other candidates, in demonstrating a knowledge of and awareness of squads and age demographics of those doing well in the division and a direct comparison with Grimsby who were doing significantly better than us since relegation, compared to the age demographic and our performance up to the time of Brown getting the bullet.

Colinmorriswalksonwater

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Blues have completed the permanent signing of midfielder Noor Husin from Dartford.
The former Reading, Crystal Palace, Notts County and Stevenage midfielder arrives at Roots Hall on a two-and-a-half-year deal after Blues agreed an undisclosed fee with the National League South club.
He becomes the second addition in as many days to Kevin Maher’s squad and is available to be involved against King’s Lynn Town tonight, if selected.

Husin, 24, is an Afghanistan international, appearing 14 times for his country since his debut in 2018.
1642770130000.png

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby

To be honest it amazes me how clubs still manage to keep spectacularly fucking it up. You’ve got about 10-15 years of evidence as to why league clubs struggle to adapt down here, they all do exactly the same thing, every single year.

Granted we’ve had a major loss of form but as far as points and position at this point goes, we’re still a relative success story so far compared to the majority of others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!