Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

White horse

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Santos was dreadful for the first 8 or so matches last season, remember watching on i follow in one match and the commentators were screaming for him to be taken off, still has the odd nightmare game now and again though

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Wimbledon have signed Derick Osei-Yaw. He was released by us in the summer and looks to have been without a club since. He scored lots in the PJT games he featured and looked like a brilliant finisher. His all round play otherwise was largely non-existent and didn't perform/barely played for Walsall when on loan in League Two.

On the face of it, it's a cost effective signing. You never know... Could be a masterstroke!

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
When we played you recently most Argo fans I know felt Santos was by far your best player and the main reason we only scored one (not least the one going in he knocked away on the line). Fossey was the other one I liked. Must be us, but in both games Dapo has looked okay and no more.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Better than Mitrovic*

*according to Masi.. (not actually true but wouldn't shock me)
Mitrovic out and out forward.........Dapo winger
Who is the better player............Mitrovic by a country mile

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
When we played you recently most Argo fans I know felt Santos was by far your best player and the main reason we only scored one (not least the one going in he knocked away on the line). Fossey was the other one I liked. Must be us, but in both games Dapo has looked okay and no more.
Yes i would agree with you on both counts. Dapo was rested in January and is not the same player.
He is too good for this league and gets no protection......Yesterday for example he was pushed over the advertising boards and when he eventually got up he was booked along with the Crewe player. He seems to get way to many bookings for a winger then that impacts his game for the rest of the match..........Still Raw but he is a talent.
Santos is just getting better and better and Evatt rates him very highly but i see him getting in the Championship and no higher.
Both under contract for two more seasons so it would be decent money to move either one, but we are a selling club and if the right offer came in we both move on.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Not a transfer but Anthony Forde has signed a new 1 year (+1 year option) contract. Pleased with this as he is versatile (has played right back, right wing and central midfield) and been decent. A good player but slightly surprised he signed another contract as he could have gone elsewhere and been a regular.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Alan Nixon saying we are in for Iredale at Cambridge. He looked really good against us in the home game before he got injured and would really suit playing on the left of the back 3.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Alan Nixon saying we are in for Iredale at Cambridge. He looked really good against us in the home game before he got injured and would really suit playing on the left of the back 3.
would love to get him tall, good on the ball....think he may end up in the championship

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
One of the downsides of not knowing what league you are in next year is you get left behind in the transfer market

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
One of the downsides of not knowing what league you are in next year is you get left behind in the transfer market
Thats what Appleton and our Chairman said about last season! Very difficult, through to end of May without knowing

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
We were linked with Iredale before January but supposedly dropped our interest. Will Boyle is the latest (probably agent-driven) rumour from this league.

I'd imagine a right sided CB would be higher up on our list of targets though, as we won't be getting Van Den Berg back on loan.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Resigned to losing Iredale after an excellent season. Carlisle fans laughed when we signed him but he’s been outstanding for us over two years.

It’s a short career so like Mullin and Knoyle is wish him well wherever he ends up.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
We will need a centre back or two, Harlee Dean hopefully and Boyle linked too.

WhiteRussian

Reaction score
Supports
MK Dons
If we don't go up I believe we will be decimated. Scott Twine will go somewhere higher and our loanees will be gone. We will need a shed load of new players.

In reality it's not even worth speculating until we know where we will be playing.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
We will need a centre back or two, Harlee Dean hopefully and Boyle linked too.
Do you have the cash to buy Storey? He's under contract till 2024, so I assume we would want the £750k we paid for him back.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Do you have the cash to buy Storey? He's under contract till 2024, so I assume we would want the £750k we paid for him back.
We will in the summer, our embargo is over so can pay a fee again, expect us to add a few if we don't go up.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
We will in the summer, our embargo is over so can pay a fee again, expect us to add a few if we don't go up.
I'd sell him personally but not sure what Lowe or the club's thoughts are, we'll potentially be two centre backs down if Diaby doesn't get a deal, so might need him.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
I'd prefer Dean if we had to pick one or the other but Storey is decent for Lg1.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
I'd prefer Dean if we had to pick one or the other but Storey is decent for Lg1.
Wouldn't be upset if Dean rocked up here on a free.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Boyle's been linked with Wednesday before, he's a Yorkshire lad so it wouldn't surprise me. Turned down a new deal in November and his contract runs out in the summer. He'll be offered another, but expect him to pitch up elsewhere.

No good for Preston if they need a right-sided centre-back. He's very left footed.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Boyle's been linked with Wednesday before, he's a Yorkshire lad so it wouldn't surprise me. Turned down a new deal in November and his contract runs out in the summer. He'll be offered another, but expect him to pitch up elsewhere.

No good for Preston if they need a right-sided centre-back. He's very left footed.
Yep, I think it's agent talk.

Lowe might want a right & a left footer, but right will be more pressing.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday

We need a leftie

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
If true then you’ve bagged yourself a good player, good on the ball and Loves a tackle, personally I think he’ll stay with us unless your offering him stupid money, which is possible I suppose, there’s a feel good factor at our place which you just can’t buy.

I’d rather see him in the championship if he does leave, no offence but whilst your undoubtedly a bigger club there’s been nothing between us for 2 seasons(whether that stays the same for next season we’ll have to wait and see) and seeing him play for that utter bellend evatt would be disappointing.

KTF

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
If true then you’ve bagged yourself a good player, good on the ball and Loves a tackle, personally I think he’ll stay with us unless your offering him stupid money, which is possible I suppose, there’s a feel good factor at our place which you just can’t buy.

I’d rather see him in the championship if he does leave, no offence but whilst your undoubtedly a bigger club there’s been nothing between us for 2 seasons(whether that stays the same for next season we’ll have to wait and see) and seeing him play for that utter bellend evatt would be disappointing.

KTF
If there is genuine championship interest he’ll go to the championship surely. I agree there hasn’t been much between us in the last couple of seasons but in reality we do have aspirations to go on at least another level. Will Cambridge have the recruitment/investment and ambition for a promotion run next season? I’d also argue the feel good factor at our place is also the best it’s been for years. Over 12000 season tickets sold already for next season. Which is the highest in about 10 years I believe and we haven’t finished yet.

Evatt is one of those managers who I’d probably hate as an opposition supporter but I love as my manager. He backs his players and fights for the club (although admittedly says a lot of things he probably shouldn’t). He’s here to build a club… from the ground up and that’s his remit…he’s more than just a manager for us. I know these things can end quite quickly after a poor run of form or whatever but he’s rebuilt us from post
Admin, having virtually no players and being relegated to league 2. I genuinely wouldn’t swap him.

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
Some of our fans on Twitter are weird, it’s definitely not a derby just a good local away day which is rare. 25-26,000 expected tomorrow. Mad crowds for 9th in this league. You’ll have the station hotel opposite the station, be prepared to break the bank for anything in there mind you

If there is genuine championship interest he’ll go to the championship surely. I agree there hasn’t been much between us in the last couple of seasons but in reality we do have aspirations to go on at least another level. Will Cambridge have the recruitment/investment and ambition for a promotion run next season? I’d also argue the feel good factor at our place is also the best it’s been for years. Over 12000 season tickets sold already for next season. Which is the highest in about 10 years I believe and we haven’t finished yet.

Evatt is one of those managers who I’d probably hate as an opposition supporter but I love as my manager. He backs his players and fights for the club (although admittedly says a lot of things he probably shouldn’t). He’s here to build a club… from the ground up and that’s his remit…he’s more than just a manager for us. I know these things can end quite quickly after a poor run of form or whatever but he’s rebuilt us from post
Admin, having virtually no players and being relegated to league 2. I genuinely wouldn’t swap him.
Agreed, but money talks, if your the ones offering the most I’d dare say you’d get him.

For us to be in mix next season we’d certainly need more investment and I’m not kidding myself about competing with the likes yourselves and others financially, we just can’t do that, I’m sure as I could be though that we’ve got the ambition which all stems from bonner, don’t think he’ll settle for just surviving, providing he stays with us I’d back us to give it a good go next year.

As for evatt, he’s clearly done well for you and is well backed by everyone at your club, I just personally feel he could learn from having a bit humility and lacks any amount of class, he reminds me of a kid that just screams and shouts when they don’t get their own way.

KTF

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United

It will come down to money and ambition.

Because everything you've mentioned above that is happening at your place (apart from the 12,000 season tickets) is also happening here. Bonner has built the club back up to where it is today after Jez George spunked a lot of money that wasn't there and numerous issues on and off the pitch seeing us in a relegation dogfight. Bonner come in, cleared the deadwood out and built a promotion team. He's now guided us to mid table in league one. Him or Duff should be manager of the year.

Bonner is a top manager and I've no doubt will go much higher than Evatt. Evatt has done a good job but Bonner has done a very good job on a shoestring budget.

Just one thing to throw in the mix. Why are you signing Iredale when you have the best left back in league one (Declan John)?

Giorgio

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton wanderers

Because everything you've mentioned above that is happening at your place (apart from the 12,000 season tickets) is also happening here. Bonner has built the club back up to where it is today after Jez George spunked a lot of money that wasn't there and numerous issues on and off the pitch seeing us in a relegation dogfight. Bonner come in, cleared the deadwood out and built a promotion team. He's now guided us to mid table in league one. Him or Duff should be manager of the year.

Bonner is a top manager and I've no doubt will go much higher than Evatt. Evatt has done a good job but Bonner has done a very good job on a shoestring budget.

Just one thing to throw in the mix. Why are you signing Iredale when you have the best left back in league one (Declan John)?
It's a squad game and Evatt wants 2 for every position. Injuries and illnesses have cost us this season.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton

I agree Bonner has done a great job… but not sure I agree with the… will go much higher than Evatt theory but we will see. I think the true test for Bonner is this coming season… replicating what youve just done on a fairly tight budget whilst possibly losing a few of your best players. As presumably you’ll lose a few in the summer like most clubs… is Hoolahan playing on? Ironside and Iredale out of contract?

We usually play 3 atb now so I think Iredale is being eyed to play left centre back. Both our wide centre backs get forward and overlap too so I think he’d really suit that. No way he is displacing John as a left wing back. If we switch back to a 4 like we did against Sheff Wed he’d probably play over John as John isn’t a great full back in a 4. Defensively he’s not the best but going forward he is fantastic. Our wing backs play basically as wide midfielders/wingers now.

Last edited:

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Agreed, but money talks, if your the ones offering the most I’d dare say you’d get him.

For us to be in mix next season we’d certainly need more investment and I’m not kidding myself about competing with the likes yourselves and others financially, we just can’t do that, I’m sure as I could be though that we’ve got the ambition which all stems from bonner, don’t think he’ll settle for just surviving, providing he stays with us I’d back us to give it a good go next year.

As for evatt, he’s clearly done well for you and is well backed by everyone at your club, I just personally feel he could learn from having a bit humility and lacks any amount of class, he reminds me of a kid that just screams and shouts when they don’t get their own way.

KTF
I don’t disagree with you on the having a bit of humility and there’s times he could rein it in for sure. But he’s a young manager and the positives for me far outweigh the negatives. His work ethic is incredible, attention to detail, style of play and philosophy all outweigh that for me. There’s a few games this season where it’s just clicked and we’ve been wow .. like the 6-0 against Sunderland. But we haven’t been able to get our best team on the pitch often enough this season because of injuries.

He’s the sort of shithouse character at times that fans would love to get behind if he was their manager but there are times where I’m thinking why has he said that - like saying we were best in the league… it was just setting us up for disaster with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!