Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
According to Pete O’Rourke PNE and Boro want Mullin. No way he stays at Cambridge if that’s true surely? I’m a bit surprised he’s got interest to jump from league 2 straight to the championship even with his record last season because before that he wasn’t particularly prolific. I suppose it’s pretty risk free for those guys on a free

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Mullin had a fantastic season but for me he isn't Championship level. Works hard, scores goals but technically not good enough for that level.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
According to Pete O’Rourke PNE and Boro want Mullin. No way he stays at Cambridge if that’s true surely? I’m a bit surprised he’s got interest to jump from league 2 straight to the championship even with his record last season because before that he wasn’t particularly prolific. I suppose it’s pretty risk free for those guys on a free
By “Boro” I assume you mean Middlesbrough? I’d be severely pissed off if he signed for the webbed feet bunch up the A1.

As svh says, he’s good enough for League 1 but can’t see why a Championship team would be interested in him.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Ha, that bell end never gets anything right about us. He says what agents tell him to.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Yeah I agree the championship is a big jump. But he’s got to take his payday if he can get it. How do you replace those goals if he leaves? Wouldn’t be cheap.

O’Rourke has got everything right for us so far this summer but a lot of journos are hit and miss.

AmberRich

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
He also said Charlton wanted Digby, and then Charlton journalists rubbished the rumour and he signed a new deal at Cambridge.

Chances are high that Mullin will go but I'd be fairly surprised if it was to the Championship.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Yeah I agree the championship is a big jump. But he’s got to take his payday if he can get it. How do you replace those goals if he leaves? Wouldn’t be cheap.

O’Rourke has got everything right for us so far this summer but a lot of journos are hit and miss.
There are players around on a free that I belive would do well with the players we already have at the club. Mullin scored 32 goals but that's because the team was built around him to do well.

We've got one of the best target men in the league in Ironside and with the likes of Hoolahan pulling the strings whoever comes in as the new Mullin will get plenty of chances. If I were to choose I would be signing Danny Johnson from Orient.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End

He's linked us to about 20 players in the past year, none remotely right. Him & Nixon have no contacts at our place.

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
There are players around on a free that I belive would do well with the players we already have at the club. Mullin scored 32 goals but that's because the team was built around him to do well.

We've got one of the best target men in the league in Ironside and with the likes of Hoolahan pulling the strings whoever comes in as the new Mullin will get plenty of chances. If I were to choose I would be signing Danny Johnson from Orient.
Ironside has only ever played a few games at this level and never scored. You confident he can make the step up?

stevowanderer

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
He's linked us to about 20 players in the past year, none remotely right. Him & Nixon have no contacts at our place.
Fair enough. Linking someone isn’t the same as signing someone though. You may have been interested in some of them but just not signed them. Evatt and our technical director have said we have a shortlist of 55 players for this summer. 5 for every position depending on wages, fitness, availability etc. But agents use journos for rumours to try to get bigger contracts elsewhere for sure. Nixon called the Derek Adams to Bradford move several weeks before the playoffs

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Ironside has only ever played a few games at this level and never scored. You confident he can make the step up?
Like I say, i think he's one of the best around at this level at holding the ball up. When we played Oxford and Shrewsbury in the worthless cup he had some great battles against league one defenders. They knew they'd had a game put it that way. I think the Oxford game in particular it was a good watch just to see him and the big center half for them go at it.

Will he make the step up? Yes I think so. I don't think he'll get 15 goals but I think he will chip in with around 10 goals, however what he will do like he did last season is hold it up, do the ugly stuff and let Mullin (if he signs) flourish again, or Mullin's replacement do the same.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Fair enough. Linking someone isn’t the same as signing someone though. You may have been interested in some of them but just not signed them. Evatt and our technical director have said we have a shortlist of 55 players for this summer. 5 for every position depending on wages, fitness, availability etc. But agents use journos for rumours to try to get bigger contracts elsewhere for sure. Nixon called the Derek Adams to Bradford move several weeks before the playoffs
There are few people on PNE online who know their shit, if they dismiss it then I believe them.

O'Rourke is probably ok for some clubs but rarely us.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Ryan Williams has signed on a two year deal.

Had a loan spell with us some time ago during our time in League Two where he was excellent (at the time and considering the level).

Pompey fans - Would I be right in saying as a teenager he was set for a career at a higher level but hasn't kicked on as expected? By all accounts the summary from supporters is the classic depiction of most League One wingers!? Quick, has qualities but broadly lacks end product?

From an OUFC viewpoint, the experience he brings at League One level is a welcome addition. Considering we are a youthful side, we have at times when up against it lacked in certain areas to manage games properly. So any experience is huge!

Last edited:

huddsmoose

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
A Championship club could take a punt on Mullin - 34 goals will make a few of them take notice and the outlay in wages would presumably be seen as minimal to most of them. If a PNE took him on a free as a wildcard third choice striker it wouldn't be a terrible decision on paper.

That said, I think his previous record shows that he needs to play up top in a two to flourish and this sort of system is a bit out of favour currently.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

What we've been saying about Josh Ruffels for us who is also out of contract and this will be his last chance to make such a move. He'd be a fool I think not to take a nice pay increase. He might not make it but then he could as he has developed his game in the past.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
A Championship club could take a punt on Mullin - 34 goals will make a few of them take notice and the outlay in wages would presumably be seen as minimal to most of them. If a PNE took him on a free as a wildcard third choice striker it wouldn't be a terrible decision on paper.

That said, I think his previous record shows that he needs to play up top in a two to flourish and this sort of system is a bit out of favour currently.
Already been rubbished at our end.

Agree with your logic but i'd like to think we've learnt our lesson a bit with Stockley, the goals are just one part of the story, you need the physical attributes to go with it to have any chance of making it in the Championship.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Had a loan spell with us some time ago during our Conference days where he was excellent (at the time and considering the level).

Pompey fans - Would I be right in saying as a teenager he was set for a career at a higher level but hasn't kicked on as expected? By all accounts the summary from supporters is the classic depiction of most League One wingers!? Quick, has qualities but broadly lacks end product?

From an OUFC viewpoint, the experience he brings at League One level is a welcome addition. Considering we are a youthful side, we have at times when up against it lacked in certain areas to manage games properly. So any experience is huge!

Hopefully the coaching staff can get him to develop further.

nelsonpfc

Reaction score
Supports
Pompey

Had a loan spell with us some time ago during our Conference days where he was excellent (at the time and considering the level).

Ryan runs and runs and runs. Has good dribbling skills, but can't cross or shoot properly. Will press the back 4 and if you are playing Mk dons or someone who will always play out of the back no matter what he's good for that. He'll win you more corners and throw ins than anyone in the side tho.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Ryan runs and runs and runs. Has good dribbling skills, but can't cross or shoot properly. Will press the back 4 and if you are playing Mk dons or someone who will always play out of the back no matter what he's good for that. He'll win you more corners and throw ins than anyone in the side tho.

We've been good from corners this season so that is good.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
That probably suits our play. We are generally successful when we press; so that could be a great asset.

We had Brandon Barker on loan who is excellent on the ball (he's Championship level in that respect), however he doesn't press/force the opposition into mistakes in the same way as you allude to. Sounds positive...

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I reckon Mullins will revert to being pants at another club. The epitome of a player being at the right club at the right time.
you said exactly the same last season about Doyle....Proberbly word for word

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Yeah, Brandon Barker couldn't grasp the pressing/ aggressive side of football at all when we had him which is why I doubt he'll ever get another shot in the Championship again. Plus he's made of glass and will never play in more than 20 games a season.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Yeah, Brandon Barker couldn't grasp the pressing/ aggressive side of football at all when we had him which is why I doubt he'll ever get another shot in the Championship again. Plus he's made of glass and will never play in more than 20 games a season.
I think he will have a bit of interest this summer, it's unlikely he'd rejoin OUFC.

He was a standout performer when you get him on the ball, he really looks a cut above everyone else on the pitch. His run from the corner flag in the first leg play-off semi-final at home is everything that is great about Brandon Barker. No one else on the pitch could have done that, he glides with such ease.

But, like you say he's a risk. He was managed heavily during his time with us and we made him a central figure to everything that we did offensively... If you accentuate his positives he's a real threat. I'd take him in a heartbeat personally but a lot of OUFC fans aren't so impressed!

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Could maybe see one of the promoted clubs taking a punt on him but I definitely wouldn't have him back here.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I think he will have a bit of interest this summer, it's unlikely he'd rejoin OUFC.

He was a standout performer when you get him on the ball, he really looks a cut above everyone else on the pitch. His run from the corner flag in the first leg play-off semi-final at home is everything that is great about Brandon Barker. No one else on the pitch could have done that, he glides with such ease.

But, like you say he's a risk. He was managed heavily during his time with us and we made him a central figure to everything that we did offensively... If you accentuate his positives he's a real threat. I'd take him in a heartbeat personally but a lot of OUFC fans aren't so impressed!

Agree with that. I'd happily have him back. I'd love us to make a cheeky permanent offer for Nathan Holland as his cover. Could get a full season out of both.

Millerbri

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United

He's not changed then since he was with us.
Hw would pick the ball up on the edge of our area, run with it for 60 or 70 metres then shoot miles over or cross it too high or not beat the first defender.

Hard working, sometimes very exciting but nearly always disappointing.

We had 4 wingers that season, Forde, Williams,(both now at Oxford) Jon Taylor and Joe Newell.Newell was the most talented, Forde was the best crosser, Taylor was quick and a grafter but not very good in front of goal.

We got promoted with the 4 being rotated to suit the opposition and obviously for injuries. I only really miss Newell.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Looks like we have missed out on Anthony Elanga who scored on his debut for Manchester United on the final day of the season. Seems he is going to be part of the first team squad next season.
Other than that Evatt says he has signed 3 of his top targets soon to be four with Declan John.
Seems he is aiming high on the loan market.....We are simply going for it next season

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Looks like we have missed out on Anthony Elanga who scored on his debut for Manchester United on the final day of the season. Seems he is going to be part of the first team squad next season.
Other than that Evatt says he has signed 3 of his top targets soon to be four with Declan John.
Seems he is aiming high on the loan market.....We are simply going for it next season

Don’t Bolton go for it every season?

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
He's not changed then since he was with us.
Hw would pick the ball up on the edge of our area, run with it for 60 or 70 metres then shoot miles over or cross it too high or not beat the first defender.

Hard working, sometimes very exciting but nearly always disappointing.

We had 4 wingers that season, Forde, Williams,(both now at Oxford) Jon Taylor and Joe Newell.Newell was the most talented, Forde was the best crosser, Taylor was quick and a grafter but not very good in front of goal.

We got promoted with the 4 being rotated to suit the opposition and obviously for injuries. I only really miss Newell.

Forde hasn't played winger for us in the last season (or not that I can remember). He has played right back, and central midfield. We've offered him a new contract but I'll be surprised if he takes it as he has been nothing more than a back up utility player for us. I suspect he'll want more 1st team football next season and I doubt he'll struggle to find a club even in the current situation due to his versatility.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!