Stickied League 1 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2023/24

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Pretty good day to be a Crewe fan. Luke Murphy signed, Pickering signs a 3 year extension, now signed former Shrewsbury defender Omar Beckles.

Floreat Salopia

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Beckles isn’t as good as what your fans are making out on Twitter but he’s solid enough.

Rumour has it that Josh Vela is heading out to Oldham from us. Bit of a shock!

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Beckles isn’t as good as what your fans are making out on Twitter but he’s solid enough.

Good mate drinking buddy of Wheater

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
118791813-3594087053964447-8398987450844403185-o.jpg

Pitman looks in decent enough shape to me. Great beard as well.

Think he'll do well for us. Wanted him as soon as he left Pompey.

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

Solid enough is all we need.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Excellent in a team relegated consecutively?
-12 to start.....All bar 3 senior players walked out the door pre first game....Team of kids

Yes exceptional circumstances......ive told you my opinion

Ask another the are a few Bolton on here.......to a man they will say the same

He may do well for you. I wont knock him he stayed while others walked

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
View attachment 13075

Pitman looks in decent enough shape to me. Great beard as well.

Think he'll do well for us. Wanted him as soon as he left Pompey.
Not sure about that sponsor! :dry:

Plus, not sure Cruise companies are doing that well these days...floating COVID hotspots.

Big Bird

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Not sure about that sponsor! :dry:

Plus, not sure Cruise companies are doing that well these days...floating COVID hotspots.
The sponsors put me off getting a new shirt for the last few years...bit weird.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
Will be interesting to see how the 4 promoted teams get on. Personally think Northampton will struggle the most. Crewe have kept pretty much the same side together, whilst both us and Swindon seem to have really strengthened.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Based on literally only what I’ve read on here, I expect Swindon to be firmly upper mid table, Plymouth to be ok, but Crewe and Northampton to struggle.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Will be interesting to see how the 4 promoted teams get on. Personally think Northampton will struggle the most. Crewe have kept pretty much the same side together, whilst both us and Swindon seem to have really strengthened.
Don’t get me wrong I quite like Plymouth, brilliant fans and play fairly decent stuff, so it’s not a dig. But I fail to see how you’ve improved you’ve lost the goalkeeper who was arguably the best in the league, also lost your captain and best midfield player. Your defence looked suspect last season especially early on and looks no better now, you still have defenders who struggled massively last time you were in league 1. Then your forward line is very unproven, Jephcott came from nowhere to score a few goals late last season, but can he do it consistently at this level? was it just a purple patch?

Mayor and Cooper I can see performing very well at this level maybe Reeves also IF he can stay fit. I would also aim similar questions towards Swindon, I’m not entirely convinced they are in a better position than they were last season, and Northampton for me have gone massively backwards. I can very much understand anyone calling me biased as it must sound that way, but I fancy our chances of competing the best at this level of the promoted sides. When you look at pretty much any of the teams of the season from last year, of any of the promoted teams were the only ones that have still got them players.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I genuinely have no idea how we’ll do this season but I think Wellens has improved the squad. Pitman is an upgrade on Doyle, Payne an upgrade on Isgrove and Johnny Smith an upgrade on Anderson. The Arsenal Smith is supposed to be a class act and should bolster an already decent midfield with Anthony Grant and Michael Doughty.

Think there may be a squeak of a chance we’ll be top 12 this season.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Pleased with Palmer and Morton, two excellent players in L2 last season and two players who could potentially have found their way into Championship squads this season albeit L1 offers them more first team football.

That's probably us done now with incomings until the final days of the transfer window and that'll only be because of an opportunity to do something (or a bad injury in the meantime). We seem pretty well covered otherwise. Just a couple to go out on loan.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Oh, and Pitman should be decent for Swindon. He's never relied on pace so you know what you're getting with him - an excellent footballing brain.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
I wouldn't be surprised if people are writing us off, as I think all our fans have too at the moment. Problem is that we're lost 17 odd from the play-offs if you include the loans and youngsters, and while we've signed adequately defensively (paper-thin however, as soon as you get through the first choice we're into using academy players) but we've only signed two offensive players, one a loan that Blackpool weren't bother to lose, and one a utility player from the 7th tier.

Our tactics (in case you dont know, it's exclusively to play for set pieces and to play it long to a forward to knock it down) are dependent on a targetman and the only one we have on our books currently is Smith, who wasn't even good enough for the first-team in League Two last year.

Curle and the chairman have said repeatedly over the last two months that we want four strikers (we currently have 2 or maybe 3 if your count a player who has played everywhere in pre-season), and that we still want more centre back and more midfielder, so there will be more to come, but at the moment it seems we've failed to land any targets we've pursued and we've running a budget way under the 2.5m wage cap - Curle seems to have become Wenger reincarnated and obsessed for only making signings on value, and the overall strategy seems to be to hope that four teams follow Bury from poor financial managment and to claim our place by being cautious with money.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
It's a big step up, we flew out the traps but once we faced the better teams we were soon found out.

Imp in Branston

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
It is a big step up, well it was last season, whether the covid related problems with squads and the salary cap will make it more of a level playing field or not we will see.

It’s hard to tell how the relegated Championship clubs will do because of problems they have virtually all had.

We have a 40% reduction in the budget so like many others it’s going to be interesting to see how we all do and IMO it’s a hard league to call. For us I hope we have enough quality to not be near the relegation spots and when we have the 23 fully fit (though a couple will probably be going out on loan) we hopefully have enough quality to be at least mid table.

Palmer and Morton look excellent signings, with Bridcutt in the middle that’s a good spine.

iWomble

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
Is Palmer carrying a bit of timber?

No idea! No-one's seen him yet. Had an operation before he left Crawley and only just back in full training so likely going to need to run a bit of weight off.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Think we've got rid of 14 and brought in 13, huge turnover of players.
Entirely necessary as the budget has been reduced on the playing side by 40%.
Be nice to finally have a proper game to talk about today after 6 very long months without one.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
I genuinely have no idea how we’ll do this season but I think Wellens has improved the squad. Pitman is an upgrade on Doyle, Payne an upgrade on Isgrove and Johnny Smith an upgrade on Anderson. The Arsenal Smith is supposed to be a class act and should bolster an already decent midfield with Anthony Grant and Michael Doughty.

Think there may be a squeak of a chance we’ll be top 12 this season.
Pitman is a upgrade on Doyle....Will he get you 25 goals. You have also lost Jerry Yates......who have you that is a upgrade on him??Payne is a attacking midfielder who scored 2 in 30 games for lincoln....not really good at attacking his he

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Personally think we’ve done good business defensively, the three new centre halves, Mitchell in goal and Mills at LWB all look decent so far from what we’ve seen.

Going forward, I’m very worried about where goals will come from. Still in the market for 2 more strikers and a midfielder, but currently with Nicky Adams out injured for a couple of weeks there seems to be no creativity. Obviously got a while to rectify it and the party line is that Curle is working hard to do so, but with Wimbledon and Shrewsbury first up it’s a worry we may waste a fairly friendly start by not having all the pieces in place.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Pitman is a upgrade on Doyle....Will he get you 25 goals. You have also lost Jerry Yates......who have you that is a upgrade on him??Payne is a attacking midfielder who scored 2 in 30 games for lincoln....not really good at attacking his he

I had forgotten about Yates in all honesty! Smith from Sheff United on loan is his replacement. Not sure exactly how good he is but reports suggest he’s going to have a bright future in the game.

No idea how Lincoln play or operated with Payne. We’ll be utilising Payne and Smith as attacking wingers, who can either cut in or get to the byline. I reckon both will get more than 2 goals this season personally.

Rob_of_the_green

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Don’t get me wrong I quite like Plymouth, brilliant fans and play fairly decent stuff, so it’s not a dig. But I fail to see how you’ve improved you’ve lost the goalkeeper who was arguably the best in the league, also lost your captain and best midfield player. Your defence looked suspect last season especially early on and looks no better now, you still have defenders who struggled massively last time you were in league 1. Then your forward line is very unproven, Jephcott came from nowhere to score a few goals late last season, but can he do it consistently at this level? was it just a purple patch?

Mayor and Cooper I can see performing very well at this level maybe Reeves also IF he can stay fit. I would also aim similar questions towards Swindon, I’m not entirely convinced they are in a better position than they were last season, and Northampton for me have gone massively backwards. I can very much understand anyone calling me biased as it must sound that way, but I fancy our chances of competing the best at this level of the promoted sides. When you look at pretty much any of the teams of the season from last year, of any of the promoted teams were the only ones that have still got them players.

We’ll see.

I feel both Crewe and Swindon were good last season and will be stronger this, but so will we.

I don’t think you’ll find many/any Argyle fans say that Sarcevic was our best midfielder so I don’t know where you’ve got that from, he took penalties and he’s been here a while and loved the club so he’s popular and won player of the season, but I can’t say that he would definitely have even been in the first team this season, he’s an above average league 2 player and that’s about it, which is why he’s still playing in league 2.

Goalkeeper I’ll agree Palmer was good, but by all accounts our very highly rated 20 year old youth keeper was neck and neck with him for our number 1 spot, and at his age Lowe has decided it’s time for him to come forward, it could be a massive mistake If we don’t give him the chance and he leaves and goes on to big things, we have to give him his shot.

Those are the only 2 losses worth mentioning from last years first team, but we’ve added a lot of real quality all over the pitch. We signed CB Will Aimson from Bury but he was injured all season so now he’s back he’s like a new signing, then we’ve signed a very highly rated CB from Newcastle who did well for Mansfield end of last season, only one of our previous league 1 defenders will play and he’ll play as 1 of 3 CBs, covering for his lack of pace, it’s not the same defence.

Upfront we’ve got Hardie back on loan who was lethal in front of goal when he joined for the 2nd half of last season, Nouble in as a big man and Jephcott is one of our own who is getting better all the time, has just been called up to Wales U21s and could go onto good things. Lowe has also indicated he’s not done up front yet.

Midfield though is where we’ve really strengthened in an already good area of the pitch, we’ve pinched Camara from Crawley who is young and already looks a real prospect full of legs and energy, we’ve signed Cooper after a really good loan spell as wing back on the opposite side to Byron Moore which will be a very attacking duo, we’ve signed Ben Reeves who’s had a great career at a high level as a skilful quick footed attacking player and is still only 28, we’ve got Danny Mayor who needs no more mention, and behind all of that we’ve signed Lewis MacLeod, at 26 has played either for Rangers or in the championship his whole career and sits deep dictating play and oozes quality already, looks a level above everyone else on the pitch.

We’re all just ultimately making educated guesses having not seen our teams in anger yet and a good team is usually greater than the sum of its parts, but I think you’ll find most Argyle fans are more confident now than they have been for quite a while.

I’m not saying we’ve suddenly become Barcelona over the summer, but we’re way stronger than last season, be under no illlusion.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Doyle won’t get 25 for you either! Their records are similar but Pitman has consistently played at a higher level. Take out the goals Doyle scored under Wellens at both Oldham and Swindon and his record is average.

It’s not all about the players, it’s about having a manager who knows how to get the best out of them - something your rookie manager will have to learn quick. And losing your last 2 with an 8-1 aggregate loss, it isn’t looking good.

iWomble

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Wimbledon
We’ll see.

I feel both Crewe and Swindon were good last season and will be stronger this, but so will we.

I don’t think you’ll find many/any Argyle fans say that Sarcevic was our best midfielder so I don’t know where you’ve got that from, he took penalties and he’s been here a while and loved the club so he’s popular and won player of the season, but I can’t say that he would definitely have even been in the first team this season, he’s an above average league 2 player and that’s about it, which is why he’s still playing in league 2.

Goalkeeper I’ll agree Palmer was good, but by all accounts our very highly rated 20 year old youth keeper was neck and neck with him for our number 1 spot, and at his age Lowe has decided it’s time for him to come forward, it could be a massive mistake If we don’t give him the chance and he leaves and goes on to big things, we have to give him his shot.

Those are the only 2 losses worth mentioning from last years first team, but we’ve added a lot of real quality all over the pitch. We signed CB Will Aimson from Bury but he was injured all season so now he’s back he’s like a new signing, then we’ve signed a very highly rated CB from Newcastle who did well for Mansfield end of last season, only one of our previous league 1 defenders will play and he’ll play as 1 of 3 CBs, covering for his lack of pace, it’s not the same defence.

Upfront we’ve got Hardie back on loan who was lethal in front of goal when he joined for the 2nd half of last season, Nouble in as a big man and Jephcott is one of our own who is getting better all the time, has just been called up to Wales U21s and could go onto good things. Lowe has also indicated he’s not done up front yet.

Midfield though is where we’ve really strengthened in an already good area of the pitch, we’ve pinched Camara from Crawley who is young and already looks a real prospect full of legs and energy, we’ve signed Cooper after a really good loan spell as wing back on the opposite side to Byron Moore which will be a very attacking duo, we’ve signed Ben Reeves who’s had a great career at a high level as a skilful quick footed attacking player and is still only 28, we’ve got Danny Mayor who needs no more mention, and behind all of that we’ve signed Lewis MacLeod, at 26 has played either for Rangers or in the championship his whole career and sits deep dictating play and oozes quality already, looks a level above everyone else on the pitch.

We’re all just ultimately making educated guesses having not seen our teams in anger yet and a good team is usually greater than the sum of its parts, but I think you’ll find most Argyle fans are more confident now than they have been for quite a while.

I’m not saying we’ve suddenly become Barcelona over the summer, but we’re way stronger than last season, be under no illlusion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!