You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

Stickied League 2 Transfer Rumours/Confirmed Transfers 2020/2021

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Pretty much, like you say we've just gotta take what we can get and hope for the best, I'd imagine one of the trialist keeper's will be next.

Well he's currently injured so.... :smug:
Under DC, Oates looked like a different player, Armstrong also, Both those players were going nowhere
until DC worked with then. Mark Kitching again a player whose game got better and better under DC.

Ryan Johnson what was he doing, unknown to most.
Who had heard of Sterry, Ferguson. And of course Featherstone who imo
was already a decent player started bossing games, And probably had his
best season last year.

Players improved under DC, So i have no worries we will be ok, And might surprise a few.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Under DC, Oates looked like a different player, Armstrong also, Both those players were going nowhere
until DC worked with then. Mark Kitching again a player whose game got better and better under DC.

best season last year.

Players improved under DC, So i have no worries we will be ok, And might surprise a few.

DC is the man and he's worked wonders, don't get me wrong but let's have a bit of perspective, Ferguson was a stand out in the NLN with York, Sterry was an EFL player working his way back up from the bottom after mental health issues and was streets ahead of players in that league, Oates looked like the garbage Rhys Oates we had the first time round at the start of the season, his form only picked up from January onwards when we brought in Armstrong on monumental wages to support him.

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Older players can work out well as demonstrated by Peter Clarke who think played every league game for Rovers last year at 39, though featured less the previous year before the curtailed season due to injury. Where Mansfield already have a fair amount of defensive cover in place may be worth getting Dawson in for that added quality and experience.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Older players can work out well as demonstrated by Peter Clarke who think played every league game for Rovers last year at 39, though featured less the previous year before the curtailed season due to injury. Where Mansfield already have a fair amount of defensive cover in place may be worth getting Dawson in for that added quality and experience.

Agreed they can be a big help in terms of bringing knowledge and experience so long as you have a good mixture of younger more energetic players around them. Our first year in this division we got that badly wrong and had Danny Pugh, Michael Tonge and Anthony Kay in midfield all in their mid 30s and teams ran circles round us all day.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

best season last year.

Good positive post that.

I'm kind of in the middle of what you and Rocka are saying.

Yeah some of his signings were standouts in other leagues not unknowns but it takes a good manager to get them gelling together. Some of his signings improved a lot, some were already good players and some didn't work out. He's not a magician but I've every faith in him to keep us up. If he doesn't at this juncture at least, it wouldn't be his fault at all.

We just need the Vic onside and hope some will understand that it's gonna be a tougher league and some teams will simply be better than us. When the Vic is toxic, its a pretty nasty place to play at.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Agreed they can be a big help in terms of bringing knowledge and experience so long as you have a good mixture of younger more energetic players around them. Our first year in this division we got that badly wrong and had Danny Pugh, Michael Tonge and Anthony Kay in midfield all in their mid 30s and teams ran circles round us all day.

Neal Bishop is a recent one for Mansfield, he played for us under Flitcroft at a similar age in CM and was superb.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Good positive post that.

I'm kind of in the middle of what you and Rocka are saying.

Yeah some of his signings were standouts in other leagues not unknowns but it takes a good manager to get them gelling together. Some of his signings improved a lot, some were already good players and some didn't work out. He's not a magician but I've every faith in him to keep us up. If he doesn't at this juncture at least, it wouldn't be his fault at all.

We just need the Vic onside and hope some will understand that it's gonna be a tougher league and some teams will simply be better than us. When the Vic is toxic, its a pretty nasty place to play at.

I think that's what it is for me, we just need to stay positive despite what happens, it's a weird season for us, we're well behind on everyone else when it comes to signings through no fault of ours, DC has a good hit rate when it comes to signings so I have faith in him, the best thing we have going for us is that DC is still here for at least another season and so long as he's in charge I think we'll be fine.

RiftHouseLad

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Agree with Soup and Rocka, to a certain extent.
Ferguson and Sterry were playing with good players around them
At thier respective clubs. And its no doubt they are decent players.
But i believe the system and roles they have been shown to do and the freedom
they are given on the pitch has allowed them to develop further.

Kitching i think was a bit iffy until DC showed him the way.

Don,t get me wrong DC does makes mistakes with players and tactics.
But as he has said himself, He like the risks for reward tactic.

I.ve not seen pools players more determind than they were last season
for a long long time.

UTP.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
No secret to most Pools fans but we've announced Centre Back Jake Lawlor who we've had on trial for the past few weeks, most recently at Harrogate.

He was decent for us a couple of seasons back. But very shakey in his second season (partly not his fault, Pearson was injured and the team were generally dreadful) so no surprise when he got released. Was a surprise when he ended up at Harrogate in L2. He's NL standard all day long. Not terrible but nothing remarkable about him.

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Things seem to be coming together nicely. I reckon Odimayo will sign up again this week - although he’ll probably not be fit due to Covid. We definitely need another striker and a couple of CBs plus a LB. getting McCreachan on loan from Chelsea - looked decent yesterday - and we’ll at least be competitive.

McKirdy looks like he’ll blow hot and cold - as lower league wingers seem to do - but I doubt we could get much better. That Ndjoli has been on trial for weeks but looks out of his depth.

How good is it to be talking football again!
Have you got much experience in your team Indian or a spine? This is where I felt Garner got it wrong to start with.

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Good luck with Pitman Rovers fans, he will knock a few in for you when he's in the mood but on last season's showing don't get too excited over the lazy git

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Have you got much experience in your team Indian or a spine? This is where I felt Garner got it wrong to start with.
To be honest mate we're just glad to have a club after the last year's debacle. Glad that any manager wanted to take us on. As for a spine, not to sure, maybe a vertebrae or two.

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
To be honest mate we're just glad to have a club after the last year's debacle. Glad that any manager wanted to take us on. As for a spine, not to sure, maybe a vertebrae or two.
I get that you're happy tohc have a club
I'll take that as a no then? Garner is not a leader IMO. He's a decent bloke who has done well with coaching at youth level before. I don't think he's got it at this level. He's had experience with us which although it was a bad experience, he should have learned from it. I'll be surprised if he's very successful for you though.

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
I get that you're happy tohc have a club

I'll take that as a no then? Garner is not a leader IMO. He's a decent bloke who has done well with coaching at youth level before. I don't think he's got it at this level. He's had experience with us which although it was a bad experience, he should have learned from it. I'll be surprised if he's very successful for you though.
Just got my fingers,toes and bollocks crossed that he is!

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Like anyone else, you are entitled to have an opinion on anything. However, you don't know Ryan Sparks and know nothing about him. Two things I can tell you; 1) He is anything but a crybaby. 2) You are now on the wrong forum and this is likely to be the case for some time.
"yOu'RE oN tHE wROnG FOruM!!!" Such a pathetic dimwit response. :lol:
Yes I did so what? To a CEO are the people who pay your and the players wages not customers. Maybe there’s just more of a community feel in non league where people don’t like to be thought of as customers, fair enough. I couldn’t careless if he exposes unprofessional clubs tbh, he seems arrogant and I wouldn’t want to share a drink with him but before him we were heading your way getting stuck in non league for years to come, now we’re much more professional on and off the pitch so I couldn’t give a shit if he boils your or anyone else’s piss tbh.
You couldn't care less or give a shit? Yeah, doesn't sound like it mate!

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Strangely, we have pretty much the core of the side that won L2 the season before last. Anthony Grant is re-signing this week which is massive as he was our Player of the Season then - ahead of goal machine Doyle. He’s the leader on the pitch.

Being realistic the defence is pretty much the same but we got away with being a bit dodgy because most sides were so shit scared of Doyle and Yates they were reticent coming forward.

Without rehashing the Pitman ‘thing’ we need an experienced striker. At the moment we have 2 without a league game between them.

Midfield is looking very good so, as with everything, the jury is out until the games start. Garner says he won’t be rushed into signing players so I suppose he has another month to recruit. Maybe struggle a bit to start with as we’re way behind on pre season fitness.

Don’t know what to expect, tbh.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
You got promoted didn’t you? Why are you assembling a middle of the road Conference side?
Official line is missed out on targets due to short pre season, demanding stupid money because of our situation and no idea what league we'd be in. We are left scraping the barrel basically. DC wants a squad of 22 as well which is way bigger than last season so it's padding it out more than anything.

Most of them are squad players, many will only be on one year deals. Just a question of muddling through and gloriously finishing 20th or 21st.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Non-league forum suggests Vernam is on his way from Bradford? Would've thought one or two (or around a dozen) clubs in League 2 would be desperate for someone like that?

Firthy_BCAFC

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Non-league forum suggests Vernam is on his way from Bradford? Would've thought one or two (or around a dozen) clubs in League 2 would be desperate for someone like that?

Hmm, it’s a strange one. Derek stated moons ago that he wanted 24 players, which he currently has. However, the arrival of Lavery suggests that he’s not that elusive number 10 that we’ve been in the market for. In all fairness, we have far too many wingers in camp, but surely binning off Gareth Evans would come first.

Admittedly, he’s flattered to deceive. Paid money for him in Jan, started well but hasn’t impressed.

Possible season-loan?

AR27

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
I can't see that happening. For starters Grimsby would need to pay us at least whatever it was we paid for him in January.

He's not a guaranteed starter but at this moment not a single one of our wingers are. They've all had their individual moments in pre season so he's got as much chance of starting as someone else on Saturday.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
"yOu'RE oN tHE wROnG FOruM!!!" Such a pathetic dimwit response. :lol:

You couldn't care less or give a shit? Yeah, doesn't sound like it mate!
You’re the one who brought it up, I was just trying to give you some background because he’s obviously caused you a lot of but hurt as you’ve mentioned him more than any City fan on here:lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyconnelley