Southern League 2017/18

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Bit late creating this thread relative to the other leagues, but we still haven't had the July 1st switch over yet so I'm not too late...

This thread is for all of the divisions that come under the Southern League banner, whatever they are calling them now. In old parlance they are/were the Southern League Premier (SLP), Southern League Division 1 Central (SLD1C), and the Southern League Division 1 South & West (SLD1S&W). I will continue to refer to them by these names.

As covered elsewhere on the forum the promotion and relegation issues will be settled as follows, as a one off for this season due to the expansion of both steps 3 and 4.

SLP
2 teams promoted, team in 1st and playoff winners from 2nd-5th (one legged semi-final and final, each held at the home of the higher placed team).

1 team relegated - team finishing bottom (24th) only to be relegated (instead of 4)

SLD1C/SLD1S&W
3 teams promoted from each - 1st and 2nd promoted automatically + 3rd team from a 4 team playoff.

Additionally one extra team will be promoted from one of the step 4 divisions (across all 3 leagues - 6 divisions), on a PPG basis. For that division playoffs will be 4th-7th, otherwise it's 3rd-5th, with the same single-leg games at the home of the higher placed team

1 team relegated from each division only (instead of 2).

[extra promotions will be applied from step 5 below to help balance divisions to 20 cubs across 4 divisions at step 3, and 7 at step 4 for 18/19]

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Bit late creating this thread relative to the other leagues, but we still haven't had the July 1st switch over yet so I'm not too late...

This thread is for all of the divisions that come under the Southern League banner, whatever they are calling them now. In old parlance they are/were the Southern League Premier (SLP), Southern League Division 1 Central (SLD1C), and the Southern League Division 1 South & West (SLD1S&W). I will continue to refer to them by these names.

As covered elsewhere on the forum the promotion and relegation issues will be settled as follows, as a one off for this season due to the expansion of both steps 3 and 4.

SLP
2 teams promoted, team in 1st and playoff winners from 2nd-5th (one legged semi-final and final, each held at the home of the higher placed team).

1 team relegated - team finishing bottom (24th) only to be relegated (instead of 4)

SLD1C/SLD1S&W
3 teams promoted from each - 1st and 2nd promoted automatically + 3rd team from a 4 team playoff.

Additionally one extra team will be promoted from one of the step 4 divisions (across all 3 leagues - 6 divisions), on a PPG basis. For that division playoffs will be 4th-7th, otherwise it's 3rd-5th, with the same single-leg games at the home of the higher placed team

1 team relegated from each division only (instead of 2).

[extra promotions will be applied from step 5 below to help balance divisions to 20 cubs across 4 divisions at step 3, and 7 at step 4 for 18/19]

Looking forward to the forthcoming season now in Division 1 Central after last seasons disaster. For once we will have at 11 players signed up before pre season. Also for once things seem to look positive. Still no news on our ground tho!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Looking forward to the forthcoming season now in Division 1 Central after last seasons disaster. For once we will have at 11 players signed up before pre season. Also for once things seem to look positive. Still no news on our ground tho!

What are your expectations for the season?

It's going to be slightly odd for me to have a forum regular fan of a club in the same division on here. Not happened since we reformed

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
What are your expectations for the season?

It's going to be slightly odd for me to have a forum regular fan of a club in the same division on here. Not happened since we reformed

For once I'm optimistic about the forthcoming season. I reckon you and I may be having promotion parties at the end of this season. Although I'm not sure how your guys summer is going. Surely we are also the 2 biggest club's in the league.

I know this league is strange, teams that do well one year can be rubbish the next. Aylesbury who I believe made the play offs 2 seasons ago struggled last season. Northwood did alright 2 seasons ago and again struggled last year.

Overall I feel we have surely hit the lowest we can possibly go now and are turning a corner.

ForeverUnited

Reaction score
Supports
Hereford (United) FC
Looking forward to hopefully another successful season. Anything but promotion is a huge failure for us.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Looking forward to hopefully another successful season. Anything but promotion is a huge failure for us.

Was gutted that we didn't stay up if I'm honest (although in saying that we may have been switched to the Ryman Premier)...would've been great the crowd I imagine you would've brung...compared to the 9 or 10 we would have at your place! hey ho it is what it is.

Definetely promotion contentders once more though.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Our squad at the mo

Danny Bonness (GK)
Josh Chamberlain
Manny Duku (apparently a quality signing. I can't comment as im not sure)
Gurkan Gokmen
Danny Hutchins
Frankie Jones
Lewis Putman
Ryan Ramsay
Eddie Smith
Tom Smith
Karl Stevenson

As mentioned in a previous post we have already turned a corner this season by actually having some players signed up before pre-season. We won't have to rely on the trialists so much this year.

All I want now is confirmation we will be playing at home

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Step 3 and 4 fixtures due next Thursday, so now is as good a time as any to recap the members of each division:

Premier:
Banbruy United
Basingstoke Town
Biggleswade Town
Bishops Stortford
Chesham United
Dorchester Town
Dunstable Town
Farnborough
Frome Town
Gosport Borough
Hereford
Hitchin Town
Kettering Town
Kings Lynn Town
Kings Langley
Merthyr Town
Reddich United
Royston Town
Slough Town
St Ives
St Neots
Stratford Town
Tiverton Town
Weymouth

West (as it is now being called):
AFC Totton
Barnstable Town
Bideford
Bishops Cleeve
Bristol Manor Farm
Cinderford Town
Cirencester Town
Didcot Town
Evesham United
Kidlington
Larkhall Athletic
Mangotsfield United
North Leigh
Paulton Rovers
Salisbury
Shorwood United
Slimbridge
Swindon Supermarine
Taunton Town
Wimborne Town
Winchester City
Yale Town

East/Central:
AFC Dunstable
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Arlsey Town
Ashford Town (middlesex)
Aylesbury
Aylesbury United
Barton Rovers
Beaconsfield Town
Bedford Town
Cambridge City
Chalfont St Peter
Egham Town
Fleet Town
Hanwell Town
Hartley Witney
Hayes & Yeading
Kempston Rovers
Marlow
Moneyfields
Northwood
Thame United
Uxbridge

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
For once I'm optimistic about the forthcoming season. I reckon you and I may be having promotion parties at the end of this season. Although I'm not sure how your guys summer is going. Surely we are also the 2 biggest club's in the league.

I know this league is strange, teams that do well one year can be rubbish the next. Aylesbury who I believe made the play offs 2 seasons ago struggled last season. Northwood did alright 2 seasons ago and again struggled last year.

Overall I feel we have surely hit the lowest we can possibly go now and are turning a corner.

Biggest clubs does not mean biggest budgets, well at least not in our case. Though most teams seem to assume we pay the most based on our crowds. It will be nice having a few recognisable teams at this level, but that just increases the competition. Cambridge City are also a big club for this level now I feel.

Overall 2 years ago when we were in it this division was probably the weakest at step 4, and given the promotions and relegations involved since then I have to feel it still is the weakest by some distance - though I haven't watched too heavily the changes in strengths of some of the other divisions.

Yeah this league is odd. Aylesbury didn't make the playoffs that year. IIRC they had a sharp drop off towards the back end of the season (much like ourselves, only they ended up dropping out of contention). I don't think they've recovered since then, but you never know. At this level sometimes it isn't even about who has the biggest budget, but about which manager moves where and gets a bunch of their former players to come join them etc. That said it generally is about the extra fiver for most players though (as it is at every level).

I think a lot of clubs last season saw Farnboroughs budget and got scared, saved some extra money and will spend more this year - especially with an extra promotion spot or 2 on the line.

Overall I'd hope we can be title challengers. The obvious other candidates may include yourselves, Camrbidge City, Egham are normally a decent side, Barton Rovers might be a challenger, and whoever else spends money. Chalfont St Peter fall in the the group of teams I feel are likely to have a push early on at least, and maybe trim back if they aren't in a good spot later in the season.

As for suggesting this is the lowest you can fall, I imagine Histon fans felt the same... How are the finances over there these days? What is the structure of the club in terms of ownership etc?

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds

A bit far I think, though to be fair it's difficult to see the sarcasm if you're going for the whole "piss this tinpot league" thing, though I doubt it. You should of course be up there challenging for a playoff spot at least, but there is a pretty big step up between divisions at this level, as there is at every level where the number of divisions reduces.

You've probably got the finances to strengthen appropriately, but there are plenty of teams there that are also paying way too much. For instance Kettering have been spending reasonable sums since they went back up to that level, and not even making the playoffs. Their strike force include Rene Howe and Aaron O'Connor.

All that said it's looking weaker, or at least more even at that level than it has for a while IMO.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Our squad at the mo

Danny Bonness (GK)
Josh Chamberlain
Manny Duku (apparently a quality signing. I can't comment as im not sure)
Gurkan Gokmen
Danny Hutchins
Frankie Jones
Lewis Putman
Ryan Ramsay
Eddie Smith
Tom Smith
Karl Stevenson

As mentioned in a previous post we have already turned a corner this season by actually having some players signed up before pre-season. We won't have to rely on the trialists so much this year.

All I want now is confirmation we will be playing at home

Can't say I know much about many of them, even with some googling.

Duku sounds familiar and looking him up he played in Kings Langley's championship winning side, which is a very good sign as he seems to have played the second half of that season where they moved from outside playoff contenders to champions. What's not a good sign is that he apparently only scored 2 goals in his 15 games for them that year, and 7 in 41 in the division above (with 2 clubs). http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/players/manny-duku#playingcareer

When we get close to the start of the season, and we know a bit more about our squads (both in terms of who will be in them, as well as actually seeing some performances in preseason) I'd suggest doing some squad previews? A quick run down of the players, where they've been before, and suggestions of how important they will be for the season. Would you be up for that?

ForeverUnited

Reaction score
Supports
Hereford (United) FC
Certainly don't think we will piss any league, and it will not be like it was last season which we were miles clear. I know it will be a tough tough league and season, by far our biggest test yet.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Biggest clubs does not mean biggest budgets, well at least not in our case. Though most teams seem to assume we pay the most based on our crowds. It will be nice having a few recognisable teams at this level, but that just increases the competition. Cambridge City are also a big club for this level now I feel.

Overall 2 years ago when we were in it this division was probably the weakest at step 4, and given the promotions and relegations involved since then I have to feel it still is the weakest by some distance - though I haven't watched too heavily the changes in strengths of some of the other divisions.

Yeah this league is odd. Aylesbury didn't make the playoffs that year. IIRC they had a sharp drop off towards the back end of the season (much like ourselves, only they ended up dropping out of contention). I don't think they've recovered since then, but you never know. At this level sometimes it isn't even about who has the biggest budget, but about which manager moves where and gets a bunch of their former players to come join them etc. That said it generally is about the extra fiver for most players though (as it is at every level).

I think a lot of clubs last season saw Farnboroughs budget and got scared, saved some extra money and will spend more this year - especially with an extra promotion spot or 2 on the line.

Overall I'd hope we can be title challengers. The obvious other candidates may include yourselves, Camrbidge City, Egham are normally a decent side, Barton Rovers might be a challenger, and whoever else spends money. Chalfont St Peter fall in the the group of teams I feel are likely to have a push early on at least, and maybe trim back if they aren't in a good spot later in the season.

As for suggesting this is the lowest you can fall, I imagine Histon fans felt the same... How are the finances over there these days? What is the structure of the club in terms of ownership etc?

Indeed your points here are very true. Cambridge should be in the mix and Chalfont tend to always get off to a flyer but then slip away. I wouldn't write off the likes of AFC Dunstable and Kempston Rovers...both did well last year in their first seasons since promotions. I may even throw a wildcard out there....Hartley Wintney. Been pushing for promotion the last few years out of the Combined Counties Prem and I can see them pushing on and upwards from here.

Again fully agree with your Histon statement. But as for us, I really think this season must be our turning point. Since the merger overall we have been awful bar promotion to the Conference Premier...and surviving 3 seasons at that level which was good. Since that promotion we haven't even got into the top half of the table and in fact thats the only time since the merger that we've come in the top half. Its time to get some good times at the club.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Can't say I know much about many of them, even with some googling.

Duku sounds familiar and looking him up he played in Kings Langley's championship winning side, which is a very good sign as he seems to have played the second half of that season where they moved from outside playoff contenders to champions. What's not a good sign is that he apparently only scored 2 goals in his 15 games for them that year, and 7 in 41 in the division above (with 2 clubs). http://www.aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/players/manny-duku#playingcareer

When we get close to the start of the season, and we know a bit more about our squads (both in terms of who will be in them, as well as actually seeing some performances in preseason) I'd suggest doing some squad previews? A quick run down of the players, where they've been before, and suggestions of how important they will be for the season. Would you be up for that?

Bonness joined midway through last season from Kings Langley. He was a bit incosistent but on his day was quality.

Chamberlain again joined midway through last season from Kings Langley.. he played with a bit of passion which a lot of our players lacked last season

Putman joined from Slough (initial loan from the beginning of the year)..scored 84 goals in a season for Oxhey Jets.

Last season was the beginning of us becoming Kings Langley B:lol: Managers came from them to us, they brought most of the squad with them and its likely we will have more ex kings Langley players (re)sign.

Definetley could give a quick rundown on player performances throughout preseason etc.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Certainly don't think we will piss any league, and it will not be like it was last season which we were miles clear. I know it will be a tough tough league and season, by far our biggest test yet.

You can see how this appears to be different from your previous statement of "anything but promotion is a huge failure for us"?

Also your biggest test yet isn't saying much to be honest, what's the general thoughts on management there - doing a good job, or neutral based on the relative size of your budget etc? Reminds me a little of when we were headed by Brian Talbot - in hindsight the statement "my nan could have done it on that budget" was repeated a lot in our case.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Indeed your points here are very true. Cambridge should be in the mix and Chalfont tend to always get off to a flyer but then slip away. I wouldn't write off the likes of AFC Dunstable and Kempston Rovers...both did well last year in their first seasons since promotions. I may even throw a wildcard out there....Hartley Wintney. Been pushing for promotion the last few years out of the Combined Counties Prem and I can see them pushing on and upwards from here.

Again fully agree with your Histon statement. But as for us, I really think this season must be our turning point. Since the merger overall we have been awful bar promotion to the Conference Premier...and surviving 3 seasons at that level which was good. Since that promotion we haven't even got into the top half of the table and in fact thats the only time since the merger that we've come in the top half. Its time to get some good times at the club.

Kempston are in a weird position, they were an average UCL club for a while so it's almost hard for me to take them seriously as contenders at this level, though I know they have financial backing recently for some reason. Their budget may be somewhat strengthened by us playing some of our league fixtures there while we get Hayden Road up to standard. Also Kempston's main striker Jake Newman (assuming he stays) has played for us and against us, and has never lived up to his reasonable record at these levels (except in his first season, though we were at step 6 then), he's extremely left footed.

I was aware of AFC Dunstable, and frankly surprised I didn't mention them! We met them in a cup on our way up and there is clearly much investment going on there too - though it's improving their facilities, so at least if it goes tits up there will be a good football facility left behind that could hopefully be used.

Can't say I know much about Hartley Witney. I guess it depends how they've been pushing for promotion - if they have been funded through it then they may be a danger, but if it's been by keeping a good squad together then that implies a lower ability to improve at this level, and therefore makes them less likely to threaten the top teams.

Also frankly I'd be a little disappointed if Moneyfields aren't bankrolled!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Bonness joined midway through last season from Kings Langley. He was a bit incosistent but on his day was quality.

Chamberlain again joined midway through last season from Kings Langley.. he played with a bit of passion which a lot of our players lacked last season

Putman joined from Slough (initial loan from the beginning of the year)..scored 84 goals in a season for Oxhey Jets.

Last season was the beginning of us becoming Kings Langley B:lol: Managers came from them to us, they brought most of the squad with them and its likely we will have more ex kings Langley players (re)sign.

Definetley could give a quick rundown on player performances throughout preseason etc.

I think near the start of the season would be good, and I'll do the same for our squad, who knows maybe we can pick up another fan or two from some of the other clubs in the division. Players can still easily leave on a 7-dayer if they have even signed registration forms. Only contracted players are certain at this stage, so that's why I think it's more important to wait.

I was aware of Putman, we played Oxhey Jets in the FA Cup the season after he scored that many I think it was, he doesn't seem to have pushed on ever since then though.

If you've taken on Richie Hanlon and co. then our fixtures might get a bit interesting.... our game at Kings Langley last season exploded and got officially abandoned during extra time. It was hard to see exactly what happened, and I don't think highlights ever came out, but the short version is one of our players was fouled and as a result thrown in to the Kings Langley technical area, and a mass brawl began. The game had become rather ill tempered as for most of it we were losing, but pounding on the door, and they were time wasting like hell - standard stuff really, but it turned really bad late on when their keeper put the ball straight out for an "injury" (hard to tell if genuine or not), but instead of putting it out level hoofed it up to about the half way line. A total of 3 of their players went down at this point causing significant delays. We then proceeded to keep the ball from the throw in and went on to score the equaliser. There are plenty of apparent unsavoury details which don't paint either club in a great light frankly, but the Kings Langley management came off a lot worse.

It was all really weird to be honest as we'd already played them twice (once in the FA Cup), and the games had gone by nicely enough and Hanlon had said some nice things about his time with R&DFC as a player etc, but he got himself sent off before the major incident and then ran back in to things when it happened IIRC.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Ritchie Hanlon did leave around March lasto year leaving only Paul Hughes in charge.

Hopefully things won't get too heated in our (or any!) contest. When things like that happen it just isn't fair for anyone whoevers fault it may be.

We've had poor discipline imo the last few years, with things like needless tackles and all that. Think that may have been partly due to having a team of kids who were maybe not quite mature. Hopefully this season we will have a fair settled squad who are well disciplined....unless Paul Hughes or one of the other the ex Langley players hasn't got over the brawl they had with you previously and they throw another game of handbags of course:box: but let's hope not of course

ForeverUnited

Reaction score
Supports
Hereford (United) FC
You can see how this appears to be different from your previous statement of "anything but promotion is a huge failure for us"?

Also your biggest test yet isn't saying much to be honest, what's the general thoughts on management there - doing a good job, or neutral based on the relative size of your budget etc? Reminds me a little of when we were headed by Brian Talbot - in hindsight the statement "my nan could have done it on that budget" was repeated a lot in our case.
Yes I can, Certainly didn't mean to come across that way.

It is a mix of opinions. Some think you can't argue with whats been achieved so far, which you can't. Others think well we've done what was expected etc.
Personally I think he's done great. we've won 27 consecutive games in a row twice in our first season, won the midland league and cup, the Herefordshire cup and got to the Vase final scoring over 200 goals in that time. Next season we won the league, one defeat over 100 goals in all comps won the HFA Cup again and the champions game against Royston. 215 points all together. That is crazy stats no matter who you are.

Once again, It didn't mean to come across as any disrespect to any other side or the league we are in.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Small update:

Lewis Putman seems to have left for Isthmian Premier side Metropolitan Police. Need full confirmation of this tho

Optimism is beginning to diminish just a tad. 3 pre season games 3 losses. Doesnt look like we will be home. Now a player has already left!

Let's just get them fixtures out and start the season!!

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Small update:

Lewis Putman seems to have left for Isthmian Premier side Metropolitan Police. Need full confirmation of this tho

Optimism is beginning to diminish just a tad. 3 pre season games 3 losses. Doesnt look like we will be home. Now a player has already left!

Let's just get them fixtures out and start the season!!

This was my point about players signing for the season and moving on! It's a bit of a weird culture change if you are more used to players being contracted as is normally the case at conference level. Anyone can put in a 7-day approach for any player, though there are a few extra rules about approaching the same player too many times or players from the same club too many times I think. Most of the time clubs will wave them if the player wants to go - why bother delaying a player moving on who doesn't want to be there. Especially in preseason. And that's if Putman had even bothered to sign form yet (which you can only do from July 1st anyway).

I think it's going to be pretty impossible to judge where you lot are going to be aiming until well after the start of the season. There's just too much upheaval.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
While I fully understand the mess in terms of comings and goings at clubs at this time of year I did think that them announced players would at least play a few league games before buggering off! Like they usually do when playing for us!

Meanwhile the club have announced that they will not announce who is signed until closer to the season now.

Fixtures out shortly! Well buzzed:woot:

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
The fixtures are out, and frankly nothing particularly exciting in there for my money. We're splitting our festive games between Bedford and Kempston (as expected, based on us sharing at Kempston). Nothing too notable elsewhere on the list for me.

Kind of weird that we're both starting the season and finishing it at home.

It's a bit difficult to be clear who the strong sides will be year-on-year, so it's hard to see if there is a particularly difficult run in there.

Games between Diamonds and H&Y are October 21st and March 3rd, so nice and spread out.

We've got a run of Egham, Chalfont St Peter and H&Y in a row twice over, and that's with the AFC Dunstable games close on it both times too - I suspect that's more an artefact of how the list is put together rather than anything else. Good cup runs could break that up in the first instance too.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Start the season at home to Aylesbury then it's away to Marlow and after the FA Cup we host Thame United

Our festive period games
Boxing day Home to Northwood
New years day away to Hanwell Town

And the trip down to Portsmouth area which I look forward to Saturday 3rd February away to Moneyfields. Preferably would've like this game between either August and early October or March/April time but I'll be fair to the FA they've given it on a Saturday and not midweek.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Seen on our forum that some fans seem to be expecting some good news about our ground today. It's the first time they've used that word today for a long time...it's usually "within the next few days/weeks"...let's wait and see if this rumour turns out to be true. I for one am not expecting any news but hope I'm proved wrong.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Everybody wants their trips to Moneyfields to be August/April! We go there the week before on the 27th January.

We're also dealing with ground stuff at the moment, having launched a crowd fund raising initiative to try and get some of the money together to fund the improvements to Hayden Road (Rushden) so we can start playing league games there ASAP. Initially we expect to start at Kempston.

All our home PSF's are being played at Hayden Road. The first one is tomorrow where we play NPL prem side Barwell. That should be a good early test.

GarthK_HYUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Hayes and Yeading United
Haha poor Moneyfields will have 21 games in August and the other 21 in April just to make us all happy...poor sods!!

Whats the most likely plan for you guys then? You moving to a new ground or ground-sharing.

Barwell are a decent Northern Premier side that'll certainly be a good run out for you guys.

We will be taking part in the magnificent Silver Jubilee Cup (I think it's called) at Hendon. Have Hitchin tomorrow at 3:30pm then either 3rd/4th play off or the Final on Sunday.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Bit of a preseason update from us. Obviously made for Diamonds fans, but our manager Andy Peaks makes some good general points about the league in the first part. After that the individual comments from our players are probably not too interesting to neutrals.

Looks like we are really addressing the weakness we had last season on the wings, and may be really pacy there this season.

Last edited:

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Haha poor Moneyfields will have 21 games in August and the other 21 in April just to make us all happy...poor sods!!

Whats the most likely plan for you guys then? You moving to a new ground or ground-sharing.

Barwell are a decent Northern Premier side that'll certainly be a good run out for you guys.

We will be taking part in the magnificent Silver Jubilee Cup (I think it's called) at Hendon. Have Hitchin tomorrow at 3:30pm then either 3rd/4th play off or the Final on Sunday.

I'll make a whole topic about it - I get asked about 20 times a season so then I can just link to that and put the details there.

The short version is ground sharing either way. Initially at Kempston Rovers (Hillgrounds, Kempston), and then at Rushden & Higham when it is up to standard (Hayden Road, Rushden - the original home of Rushden Town before the 1992 merger).

We're interested in getting our own place long term of course, but we have to raise funds for it, which have to come from an operating excess as a fan owned club with no financial backer. Frankly it's either getting lucky and getting help when there is a development of the local area, or a very long term project.

We know all about Barwell having played them in 2 games in the 4th qualifying round of the FA cup 2 years ago. They were a really friendly club that we got on well with. This one is the Dale Roberts Memorial Cup game.

Hendon is such a weird ground, that's where we went out of the FA Cup this year. Glad to see they have their own place though. IIRC the pitch is pretty far from flat despite being 3G/4G/whatever you want to call it. I find it odd that you'd go to the expense of an artificial pitch and put it on a slope.

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
Well 2 friendlies down and we're looking pretty good so far by all accounts.

First there was the Barwell game that finished 2-2, with Diamonds then taking the trophy on penalties.

Tonight we beat Northampton 2-0.

Next up St Ives at home. Another good test against a side one level above.

We seem to have done well in terms of squad cohesion very quickly, which may be due to having relatively few changes from last season. We could do with an extra player or two at the back while we await the return of Jack Ashton from long term injury. Other than that things seem to be going well on the pitch, which worries me that we're setting ourselves up for disappointment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!