You are currently browsing the football forums as a guest. Sign up now for free and benefit from totally ad-free browsing. Logged in members see no ads.

The Holy Farewell...

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Following todays Port Vale released list its finally been confirmed that Tom Pope will leave the club.

A boyhood Vale fan he finally joined his beloved Valiants in 2011 notably scoring a brace against Bradford on sky to open his account for the Valiants...

In 2012/13 he would have the season of his life scoring 33 goals, more incredibly none were from the spot! Scoring 4 against his old club Rotherham, hatricks against Bristol Rovers and notably in a crucial game at home to Cheltenham as the Valiants slump threatened to derail promotion.

He would score his 100th goal for the club at Northampton in 2019 and incredibly broke the clubs post war goal scoring record with his superb header against Manchester City in the FA Cup. He ends on 115 goals for his boyhood club.

The clubs only true "Legend" of the 21st century.

Sadly Pope would not get the send off he deserved due to the pandemic.

Thank you for the memories Tom! "Feed the Pope and he will score"

1620649617498.png

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United (P)
Getting on in years now but I'd have Luke Joyce back here for a third spell in a heartbeat.

Last time you played us I think the Port Vale squad had more combined apperances in a Carlisle shirt than our own squad.

Last edited:

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV
it has honestly been one of the greatest privileges of following vale to see a local lad, a vale fan, achieve what he has for port vale.

the goal against Man City will never be forgotten, and he was simply unplayable in our promotion season.

It's not quite as sad knowing that he'll be in around the place either as a fan or in an official capacity in years to come.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
it has honestly been one of the greatest privileges of following vale to see a local lad, a vale fan, achieve what he has for port vale.

the goal against Man City will never be forgotten, and he was simply unplayable in our promotion season.

It's not quite as sad knowing that he'll be in around the place either as a fan or in an official capacity in years to come.
That's it, the fact he is one of us makes it even sweeter.

That mental at Man City was unbelievable... he said he'd score against a defence with John Stones and did just that!

He lived the dream we all have as fans of the club.

That promotion season was unreal... 33 goals and not one penalty... if he took them instead of Jeno or Hughes he would likely have hit 40 plus! Not to mention he actually had an 8 game barren spell towards the end! Great memories and ones as fans we will talk about in decades to come like we do Naylor or Foyle now.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
I liked it when he scored against Man City after trolling John Stones and the City fans. After the game he admitted he was wrong about scoring 40 a season playing against Stones every week, said he’d actually get 50. :fl:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I liked it when he scored against Man City after trolling John Stones and the City fans. After the game he admitted he was wrong about scoring 40 a season playing against Stones every week, said he’d actually get 50. :fl:

Was funny because the Man City players all wanted selfies with Pope to wind Stones up! Bernard Mendy absolutely loved it!

Jeremy Beadles Sex Claw

Reaction score
Supports
Vale
Mendy was posting photos of Tom Pope in the Man City squad group chat for weeks. Stones wouldn't even look Pope in the eye the arrogant bastard.

Soz

Reaction score
Supports
PV

Love this... I was literally a couple of rows in front. The best mental!
just knew it was a goal as soon as it left amoo's foot.

what a fucking day that was. I had a mate tag along who is an everton fan, i'd told him pre-match that pope is one of the best headers of a ball in the country too and he did that.

i was about 8 pints deep at the time i came out with it fairness.

Randolph Haggerty

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
His hat trick against Cheltenham in the promotion year and his little dink at Rotherham Boxing Day are my favourites.
A proper legend, but he doesn’t look after himself and we knew this day would come.
Comes to something when the best thing that’s happened in the last few years is a 4-1 defeat at Man City.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
How come you Vale fans have never mentioned this Man City game before?

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
His hat trick against Cheltenham in the promotion year and his little dink at Rotherham Boxing Day are my favourites.
A proper legend, but he doesn’t look after himself and we knew this day would come.
Comes to something when the best thing that’s happened in the last few years is a 4-1 defeat at Man City.

That hatrick at Cheltenham was so massive as they’d have overtaken us and we’d have possibly missed out. They went 2-1 up and he went nuts at Chris Neal, we got a corner moments later and it dropped to him and he walloped it with that anger in.

Great day.

Reactions: Soz

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
How come you Vale fans have never mentioned this Man City game before?
I’m struggling to think why Carol never gets a mention either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mario