Stickied Transfer Rumours 2023/24

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Does it not worry you that you seem to be adopting a boom or bust strategy in a season where we might not see a finish, most other clubs are being careful and trying to survive but you are just spend spend spend.
I see your point but its hardly boom and bust, 7 in, 5 out so we are attempting to balancing the books.

3 of those who came in were on part time contracts so will be on a relatively small wage, one is a loanee from Villa we won't be paying for, one was a free agent. We paid a small fee for Taylor (10k upfront I think) and not sure if he was PT or FT at Chester but him and Dinanga on loan from Stevenage (also who will be on a small wage given he was playing for Matlock Town in 2019) are the only two FT 'proper' signings.

We are due 2 decent earners out the door (Buchanan and Boden) so the net effect will probably be we have reduced our wage bill potentially, certainly not increasing it significantly. Cropper is also probably going to have his loan cancelled, i suspect we are contributing a bit to his wages which will also free up some more funds.

Bearing in mind we've got 2 or 3 players still on FL contracts earning 2k+ a week, these signings are drops in the ocean compared to some of our legacy contracted players, most of whom are off the books but Weston, Evans and Rowley still remain.

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
Does it not worry you that you seem to be adopting a boom or bust strategy in a season where we might not see a finish, most other clubs are being careful and trying to survive but you are just spend spend spend.
If it means the difference in getting back to the Football league or staying Non league I don't blame them. Also i think from the Premier down to Conf North & South the season will go right to the end .Probably below that i can see it being scrapped for this season.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
If it means the difference in getting back to the Football league or staying Non league I don't blame them. Also i think from the Premier down to Conf North & South the season will go right to the end .Probably below that i can see it being scrapped for this season.
I'm worried about Scotland binning of part time football now, England tends to follow suit about 72 hours later. Obviously there are a few PT teams in this league so could be a sign..

Alty Pieman

Reaction score
Supports
Alty
I'm worried about Scotland binning of part time football now, England tends to follow suit about 72 hours later. Obviously there are a few PT teams in this league so could be a sign..
More likely to affect NLN and NLS unless the current grantaid isnt renewed for this latest lockdown.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Colchester and Carlisle apparently in for our midfielder Gav Holohan.

Sad state of affairs if he moves to one of them but they'd offer better wages and better standard of football so probs can't blame him if he wants to speak.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Colchester and Carlisle apparently in for our midfielder Gav Holohan.

Sad state of affairs if he moves to one of them but they'd offer better wages and better standard of football so probs can't blame him if he wants to speak.

He still has another year on his contract according to the Mail journo, so we'll need a fee, can't see Carlisle forking out, dunno what Colchester are like financially.

Would be a miss for sure but it's were we are now, our better players will get sold.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I see your point but its hardly boom and bust, 7 in, 5 out so we are attempting to balancing the books.

3 of those who came in were on part time contracts so will be on a relatively small wage, one is a loanee from Villa we won't be paying for, one was a free agent. We paid a small fee for Taylor (10k upfront I think) and not sure if he was PT or FT at Chester but him and Dinanga on loan from Stevenage (also who will be on a small wage given he was playing for Matlock Town in 2019) are the only two FT 'proper' signings.

We are due 2 decent earners out the door (Buchanan and Boden) so the net effect will probably be we have reduced our wage bill potentially, certainly not increasing it significantly. Cropper is also probably going to have his loan cancelled, i suspect we are contributing a bit to his wages which will also free up some more funds.

Bearing in mind we've got 2 or 3 players still on FL contracts earning 2k+ a week, these signings are drops in the ocean compared to some of our legacy contracted players, most of whom are off the books but Weston, Evans and Rowley still remain.

Have Villa said they not charge to send players to non-league?

Like a Glove

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil
Tyler Denton rumoured to be the next signing for us. We’ve only got Dickinson as a recognised left back so need another option. Chesterfield are accumulating left backs I believe so would make sense.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Tyler Denton rumoured to be the next signing for us. We’ve only got Dickinson as a recognised left back so need another option. Chesterfield are accumulating left backs I believe so would make sense.
Yep would make complete sense on our part to get him off wage bill so definitely think there’s something in that.

Strange signing really given pemberton brought him in and then didn’t even play him and often didn’t make the 16 on match day!? JR then comes in and says he’s part of his plans, but then goes on to sign 2 more left backs and hasn’t played Denton once... so not sure what went off there??

On the odd occasions he did play I actually thought he looked quite decent and had a good game against Notts county a couple of months back where he played a little higher up the pitch. Hopefully he kicks on with you lot....

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Have Villa said they not charge to send players to non-league?
Not sure what their policy is as a club was just told they were happy for him to come here for the experience of senior football as opposed to under 23's. I don't think we are paying Croppers full wage from Burnley either

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Yep would make complete sense on our part to get him off wage bill so definitely think there’s something in that.

Strange signing really given pemberton brought him in and then didn’t even play him and often didn’t make the 16 on match day!? JR then comes in and says he’s part of his plans, but then goes on to sign 2 more left backs and hasn’t played Denton once... so not sure what went off there??

On the odd occasions he did play I actually thought he looked quite decent and had a good game against Notts county a couple of months back where he played a little higher up the pitch. Hopefully he kicks on with you lot....
Yep, wouldn't be disappointed to see him leave and wouldn't be suprised. We have 4 or 5 on our books who could play LB now so Denton and Buchanan leaving would make sense.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Here we go... another rumoured incoming from our friends at Gloucester once again.

According to the Derbyshire times we’re expressing real interest in bringing defender Gavin Gunning across.

Gloucester fans.... Is he currently in talks to end his contract by mutual consent? Because if not I can’t see how we’d be able to sign him given the agreement of not signing any of your contracted players is in place (whatever that means:dk:...)

p.s. they must be absolutely sick of us by now... even I’m starting to feel a little sorry for them!

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Here we go... another rumoured incoming from our friends at Gloucester once again.

According to the Derbyshire times we’re expressing real interest in bringing defender Gavin Gunning across.

Gloucester fans.... Is he currently in talks to end his contract by mutual consent? Because if not I can’t see how we’d be able to sign him given the agreement of not signing any of your contracted players is in place (whatever that means:dk:...)

p.s. they must be absolutely sick of us by now... even I’m starting to feel a little sorry for them!
I posted last week we were in for 2 of their players in the Conf North thread, it didn't go down well. I can see why they are getting annoyed by us now. Maybe we should have a PSF as part of the deal

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
I don't think a PSF is a wise move! I think all this does is highlight the manager's lack of vision from outside of those he's already worked with. When he was with us we likened it to a real life Championship Manager, completely changing teams around without much of a care. As I've said before, despite the fact we were top a lot of fans were relieved he went.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
I don't think a PSF is a wise move! I think all this does is highlight the manager's lack of vision from outside of those he's already worked with. When he was with us we likened it to a real life Championship Manager, completely changing teams around without much of a care. As I've said before, despite the fact we were top a lot of fans were relieved he went.
I think this take from Gloucester fans of ‘a lot of fans were happy when he left’ is absolutely laughable..

If he’d stayed you’d still have the likes of Asante, Whittle, Daly, Carline etc all still playing for your club and you’d have probably had the title wrapped up by now with that calibre of player in that league....

He’s also had an unbelievable start to his time here at Chesterfield so I think criticism of his management is totally unfounded and just comes across as sour grapes I’m afraid..

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
What happens when your manager runs out of Gloucester players to sign?
I take your point but given he’s signed a total of 8 players so far, with only 3 coming from Gloucester (less than 50% for the less educated amongst us...) then I think he’ll do just fine signing players from elsewhere :whistle:

Last edited:

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
I think this take from Gloucester fans of ‘a lot of fans were happy when he left’ is absolutely laughable..

If he’d stayed you’d still have the likes of Asante, Whittle, Daly, Carline etc all still playing for your club and you’d have probably had the title wrapped up by now with that calibre of player in that league....

He’s also had an unbelievable start to his time here at Chesterfield so I think criticism of his management is totally unfounded and just comes across as sour grapes I’m afraid..
Mate. Gloucester were in danger of going down had it not been for COVID. He got thumped 6-1 at Alfreton. Could easilly have got sacked

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I'd like a PSF, nice city is Gloucester from what I remember when my uncle lived there.

As for Rowe, I see what you're saying but you were flying in the league (won 9 from 10 or something? so you can't say you were glad he'd left. You might still get promoted, and if you do then you can say he's not been a big miss but as things stand nobody can see they're glad a manager of a team in that position has gone.

doveranddover

Reaction score
Supports
Dover Athletic
I take your point but given he’s signed a total of 8 players so far, with only 3 coming from Gloucester (less than 50% for the less educated amongst us...) then I think he’ll do just fine signing players from elsewhere :whistle:
tbh I didn't realise you'd signed that many

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
As for Rowe, I see what you're saying but you were flying in the league (won 9 from 10 or something? so you can't say you were glad he'd left. You might still get promoted, and if you do then you can say he's not been a big miss but as things stand nobody can see they're glad a manager of a team in that position has gone.

With the team we had at the start of this season most managers could have taken that squad to the top tbf. Take a look at older posts or on our forum/social media. We were mid-table and well away from relegation, he then came in and dismantled the squad and we got sucked into a relegation battle. We won 1 game in his first 11 under him and the pressure was huge, especially after losing 6-1 at Alfreton. Then Covid came along.

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
Mate. Gloucester were in danger of going down had it not been for COVID. He got thumped 6-1 at Alfreton. Could easilly have got sacked
That was last season... this year when he had his players they were sat top of the league absolutely flying

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
With the team we had at the start of this season most managers could have taken that squad to the top tbf. Take a look at older posts or on our forum/social media. We were mid-table and well away from relegation, he then came in and dismantled the squad and we got sucked into a relegation battle. We won 1 game in his first 11 under him and the pressure was huge, especially after losing 6-1 at Alfreton. Then Covid came along.
I always find that argument amusing aswell. ‘Anyone could win league with that squad’...

End of the day, he scouted and recruited those players that you’re talking about who had you top of the league. It’s very very easy for a manager to waste the money he’s given and sign utter dross (believe me on this one... chesterfield fans are well versed on this in recent years), but he’s clearly got an eye for a player and know’s exactly what fits into his system/style of play.

As Spire1866 alluded to, let’s wait and see where you finish up at the end of the season and if you end up top / promoted then fair play, you didn’t need him and the argument of ‘we’re glad to see him go’ might stack up at that point.

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
He's just not liked, it's as simple as that. That was the case well before any of this nonsense with you started.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
He's just not liked, it's as simple as that. That was the case well before any of this nonsense with you started.
What did he do out of interest?

He seems to have struck a chord with our fans and media at least with his interviews, tweets etc and comes across as someone that is probably quite ambitious, driven (and likely not loyal should a better opportunity come along) but also a fairly decent bloke.

Was he not liked by just the fans (if so why?) or was he not popular with some of the players too?

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
To be fair, the previous manager (Mike Cook, now at Chippenham) was Gloucester through and through. Previous player, his backroom staff that he brought in all former players of ours and most of the guys he brought in were localish. That said, as he hadn't managed for a long time his appointment didn't really appease many fans at the time (previous to him was Chris Todd, worst ever manager we've had).

We looked nailed on for relegation and went 15 games under Todd without a win in the National South. He was sacked and Cook came in and saved us, we won almost every game under him that season. Start of the next season, in the North, we were ok. Tougher league than the south, not pulling up any trees but also not in any relegation bother. We then crashed out of the FA Cup to a makeshift Whitby team then had a couple of games where the discipline went out the window and had 3 sendings off in 2 games, Cook and the board argued and that was that.

Rowe then came in, a lot of interest and excitement in his appointment as we looked outside of the normal areas for a new manager. We were 13th in the League at this point. We went out the trophy (at home) to BPA in a terrible performance, the first under him. Quickly a lot of players who had amassed hundreds of appearances and also some staff were moved out of the club with a lot of them saying the way it was handled was poor, his response was that football has to be emotionless which didn't go down well with fans or some former players who took to social media to have a go. He has former allegations of bullying at other clubs, how true they are God knows. Our captain (Hamilton), top scorer (Joe Hanks) and a load of others were all shipped out and none of them had a good word to say unfortunately. Hamilton and Hanks both joined Cook at Chippenham (as did Marlon Jackson, another released by him.

More games and more defeats followed and 1 game in particular away from home we'd lost and other than the old guard - him and the new players he brought to the club sloped off to the dressing room whilst the others went over to thank the visiting support. There was a real split, a them and us feel. He wouldn't accept criticism in his interviews and his lack of accepting blame only made the situation worse. Many supporters felt he was arrogant.

We'd then gone 11 games under JR with only one win, with an embarrassment of a 6-1 defeat at Alfreton thrown in to the mix and suddenly we were 3rd from bottom. Most people were calling for him to go. We then went 3 unbeaten - a narrow win over BPA, a draw at Kettering and a last min win over Farsley but the performances for all 3 were still very poor. Then the season got abandoned. We started this season off on fire, albeit with a defence that looked like conceding all the time, but we had firepower to outscore most opposition.

Having had a quick glance at your forum I genuinely don't think some of your fans realise he was with us for half of last season, which like I say saw us go from mid-table security to a massive relegation drop.

Last edited:

Alty Pieman

Reaction score
Supports
Alty
Its all about results, when they go south sentiment then helps. At this level even crap managers can succeed if they have a big enough budget to get the better players in.
It seems Rowe knows a good player when he sees one and he obviously has the budget. Be interesting to see what happens when/if Chesterfield start failing,.. will the board and fans back him then,.. ?

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
Sky Sports reporting that Courtney Duffus is joining Bromley on loan. I really hope not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!