19th March

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Absolutely gutted, Oxford didn’t have a sniff in that second half
In fairness if Whyte could finish (he can’t), the game would have been over early in the first half.

Great turnout by Ipswich though. Surely too much ground to make up in the playoff chase now?

SuffolkBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
In fairness if Whyte could finish (he can’t), the game would have been over early in the first half.

Great turnout by Ipswich though. Surely too much ground to make up in the playoff chase now?
Yeah was very much a game of two halves. Was quite impressed by the positions you got into in the first half. Could see why you score goals. Yeah everyone one else dropped points but it looks too big of an ask. Paying for Paul Cook’s start to the season where we were all over the place. But I think we’d all rather another season in this league, with the players and coach we have I’d be targeting automatic. You looked a decent enough side but my god the home atmosphere was terrible for a big game. Is it always like that?

NorthernSoul

Reaction score
Supports
Wigan Athletic
Complete dominance today apart from 10 minute spells after we took the lead and the start of the second half when a handball gave Morecambe a penalty out of nowhere to half the deficit.

Missed a lot of sitters, Keane rounding the keeper and slipping when going to score the highlight of them, could easily have had 7 or 8.

Still dont think we are really getting out of first gear from the games this calendar year and are certainly capable of notching up a bit if needed.

Several key players have had much needed rests with suspensions for 2 weeks and now a further two week break for everyone, most players back from injury and suspension cut off now passed. Hopefully we can push on in the final month. Tough game next but a run of midtable sides are most the games left.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Yeah was very much a game of two halves. Was quite impressed by the positions you got into in the first half. Could see why you score goals. Yeah everyone one else dropped points but it looks too big of an ask. Paying for Paul Cook’s start to the season where we were all over the place. But I think we’d all rather another season in this league, with the players and coach we have I’d be targeting automatic. You looked a decent enough side but my god the home atmosphere was terrible for a big game. Is it always like that?
Most definitely, I don’t think the wind helped. Typical it blows towards the Oxford Mail stand but weirdly it favoured us first half which is odd - I don’t think I have ever watched a game where the wind tunnel is in reverse!

We were really off it today. First half we were okay, however second non-existent. KR summarised fairly on the radio and paid a huge compliment to your manager citing what a top guy he is and apparently was very humble.

On the subject of atmosphere, the Kassam is not known for its acoustics. If you sit in the stand behind the goal, away supporters also aren’t all that loud (you’d be surprised what little is heard). Granted, we aren’t vocal at home anyway and I think for many that’s a bit of a disappointment that we don’t create more noise but there are some reasons as to why. There have been lots of attempts to improve (that’s another conversation!) with backlash from the stadium company in the past with what can/can’t be done putting flags out etc.

Having been tenants for so many years in such an uninspiring/half finished/identikit stadium with poor acoustics, it generally is poor and fails to give any incentive to be noisy as often it’s lost. Away games are generally more popular with the die hards like most clubs, but yes - home support noise levels has improved but it’s really far from brilliant.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
In my 28 years of going to Whaddon Road, I have never felt sorry for an opposition team. However, Wimbledon fans must feel like we've just shagged their wife and shit in their sandwiches with what happened today.

For 80 mins, we weren't even in the game, and didn't look like we could even be bothered. Then a goal against the run of play and they went to absolute pot. The second was the killer, although Dons nearly got an immediate equaliser - an amazing defensive block saving us. The third was your typical ball over the top counter attack, which Alfie was never going to miss.

Safety all but confirmed and now a mission to finish in our highest ever position. It's looking very likely.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
fo
In my 28 years of going to Whaddon Road, I have never felt sorry for an opposition team. However, Wimbledon fans must feel like we've just shagged their wife and shit in their sandwiches with what happened today.

For 80 mins, we weren't even in the game, and didn't look like we could even be bothered. Then a goal against the run of play and they went to absolute pot. The second was the killer, although Dons nearly got an immediate equaliser - an amazing defensive block saving us. The third was your typical ball over the top counter attack, which Alfie was never going to miss.

Safety all but confirmed and now a mission to finish in our highest ever position. It's looking very likely.
Grateful you did !

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
0-0 a fair result at Fratton Park on balance.

Clear cut chances at a premium of both teams.

As I’ve said before, it seems this season that refs are being far more lenient on fouls and argy-bargy in general than ever before - I’ve seen it both for us and against us so I don’t mean it in a “we’re being hard done by” way.

Today we were unfeasibly lucky to get away with our centre back putting a Pompey player in an armlock whilst running, without so much as a foul given, let alone a booking.

Can’t see PFC making the playoffs if that showing was typical from them, although they may very well say the same about us.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
When I saw the team today I said to my pal if we get to half time all square that will be a good result. Mostly kids out there playing their hearts out, unsurprisingly a dire first half. 2 subs in the second half improved things and we were the better team but a draw was a fair result. Great away support from Donny fans. Other results around us helped, no match next week so more time to get some injured players back, still in with a fighting chance of maintaining league 1 status

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
As Greavsie used to say, it’s a funny old game. Of the past five games this is the worst we have played, and yet we scored the most goals!

In the first half Accrington were the better side. Looked very threatening at set pieces, and being much taller than us played to their strengths. Somehow we went in at half time 2-0. Second half we played much better and did deserve our goals. Think Accrington can hold their heads high, but surprised they played such a high line given the speed of Hardie and Garrick.

Think the 40 mile per hour winds affected the quality of both teams.

Onwards and upwards. We now lose Pan and Jeffers to international football for two games.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
0-0 a fair result at Fratton Park on balance.

Clear cut chances at a premium of both teams.

As I’ve said before, it seems this season that refs are being far more lenient on fouls and argy-bargy in general than ever before - I’ve seen it both for us and against us so I don’t mean it in a “we’re being hard done by” way.

Today we were unfeasibly lucky to get away with our centre back putting a Pompey player in an armlock whilst running, without so much as a foul given, let alone a booking.

Can’t see PFC making the playoffs if that showing was typical from them, although they may very well say the same about us.
Saw that .

Think the ref was trying to play some sort of advantage but it can be pulled back ?

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
No chance are you dropping any points today. Plymouth, pompey, mk dons, Bolton, wigan and rotherham all to pick up maximum points as well. Oxford v Ipswich could be 0-0 judging by the fact last 5 fixtures between the pair have seen only one goal (3-3 incoming). Charltons match tricky but got a feeling they will win. Fleetwood can win today to help their survival bid and i’m fancying a btts in the cheltenham match. However my lot are so unpredictable and throw in the mixed bag of results against Lincoln since being down league one means i have no idea of the outcome today for us. Also former player Maguire was rested midweek and will be raring to put another good performance against us after his hat trick at the SOL to get one over us (more LJ in fairness) but nevertheless he will be up for it.

A win today is essential to stay in the top 6 but football is a funny old game so no doubt all the predictions above will be shite just like my accumulators.

You’ll win comfortably, they’re pretty dross. If you look poor against us, you’re poor.

As for us, I expect us to get back to losing ways.
Well I wasn’t expecting a point today either, but actually we could have had all 3.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
'Boring, boring Oxford' becomes 'Boring, boring Ipswich'. From the 5th minute of the game, Ipswich started their game management with fake injuries, kicking the ball away, cynical trips when beaten etc etc. I can only assume that Ipswich fan linked earlier now hopes his own team never wins due to their own cheating as he called it.

I really rather enjoyed the equaliser (obviously!) as the time it was scored in likely came from a fake injury by an Ipswich player (Chaplin I think) trying to break up play. It was a cracking corner and what a leap from McNally.

The 2nd half though, Ipswich were very good and really should have wrapped the win up. But after scoring they seemed to gradually drop deeper and deeper looking to protect the lead rather than make it 2-0 giving us a chance which we took. The right midfielder (Wes Burns?) was probably the best player on the pitch.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
A fair assessment from thewwfc above, but Wycombe probably just shaded it.

We're done for the playoffs. Time to start planning for next season. We need to throw everything at it. No excuses for the Cowleys this time.

BarrieOwl

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Well I wasn’t expecting a point today either, but actually we could have had all 3.
Wouldn't have been unfair if you had, we looked sluggish

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton

My predictions all round were spot on.

Tom_ITFC

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich
'Boring, boring Oxford' becomes 'Boring, boring Ipswich'. From the 5th minute of the game, Ipswich started their game management with fake injuries, kicking the ball away, cynical trips when beaten etc etc. I can only assume that Ipswich fan linked earlier now hopes his own team never wins due to their own cheating as he called it.

I really rather enjoyed the equaliser (obviously!) as the time it was scored in likely came from a fake injury by an Ipswich player (Chaplin I think) trying to break up play. It was a cracking corner and what a leap from McNally.

The 2nd half though, Ipswich were very good and really should have wrapped the win up. But after scoring they seemed to gradually drop deeper and deeper looking to protect the lead rather than make it 2-0 giving us a chance which we took. The right midfielder (Wes Burns?) was probably the best player on the pitch.

Come off it, don’t know whether you’re trying to joke there but fake injuries? When?! Wes Burns went down after a 50-50 and then Donacien rolled the ball out but that was the only time I recall a town player going down. I only recall your players going down and needing assistance from the bench which, if it broke up play while you’re losing, you’re more than welcome to!

Ok, both teams were cynical though. They knew the ref was poor very yesterday and could get away with it. On the left hand side in the first half, one of your players could have won a gold at the Olympics for his dive when he knew the ball was too far away.

First half was end to end but you managed to play a fair few through balls right through our team which were slightly too heavy otherwise they would have been perfect chances to take the lead.

Bringing on Morsy and Bonne made a huge difference. I never realised how vital Morsy is to our team before he missed the four games he did.

I just knew you’d score that corner, I just knew it! It just went silent around me after but was quite funny watching everyone celebrating in the car park because they left early :lol: I’d never leave a game early! Can remember when we played Coventry at home and was winning 2-1 and they equalised in the last minute of extra time. Less than 15 seconds later after the restart, Pablo Counago made it 3-2!

A draw was probably a fair result but it’s just a shame that it’s another game that could have been one that kept us with a chance of play offs but I do think it’s over for this season now.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
As goalless draws go this was an entertaining one IMHO.
Sunderland had the better of it but we made a couple of changes and very nearly nicked it.
Good atmophere throughout the game bit of lively behaviour between some of the fans after.
Since we switched to 352 we've looked much more solid and we're not overplaying as much either.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
As goalless draws go this was an entertaining one IMHO.
Sunderland had the better of it but we made a couple of changes and very nearly nicked it.
Good atmophere throughout the game bit of lively behaviour between some of the fans after.
Since we switched to 352 we've looked much more solid and we're not overplaying as much either.
I thought the change in formation was massive yesterday. Before that, it felt like it was a case of when Sunderland would score. They had the best of the midfield. Felt Clarke and Roberts were their best players. After switching to 4 at the back, it helps us to get a grip of the game and nearly nick it as you say! Sunderland a very good side, as you would expect

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Come off it, don’t know whether you’re trying to joke there but fake injuries? When?! Wes Burns went down after a 50-50 and then Donacien rolled the ball out but that was the only time I recall a town player going down. I only recall your players going down and needing assistance from the bench which, if it broke up play while you’re losing, you’re more than welcome to!

Ok, both teams were cynical though. They knew the ref was poor very yesterday and could get away with it. On the left hand side in the first half, one of your players could have won a gold at the Olympics for his dive when he knew the ball was too far away.

First half was end to end but you managed to play a fair few through balls right through our team which were slightly too heavy otherwise they would have been perfect chances to take the lead.

Bringing on Morsy and Bonne made a huge difference. I never realised how vital Morsy is to our team before he missed the four games he did.

I just knew you’d score that corner, I just knew it! It just went silent around me after but was quite funny watching everyone celebrating in the car park because they left early :lol: I’d never leave a game early! Can remember when we played Coventry at home and was winning 2-1 and they equalised in the last minute of extra time. Less than 15 seconds later after the restart, Pablo Counago made it 3-2!

A draw was probably a fair result but it’s just a shame that it’s another game that could have been one that kept us with a chance of play offs but I do think it’s over for this season now.

It was more a comment on your fans (Boring, boring Oxford chant, the linked bloke as he wasn't the only one in that video and afterwards online) moaning with us shutting down the game at the end of it at your gaff.

The first 'injury' I mention, your player (can't remember who) went down like a sniper got him, when he realised the Ref wasn't giving him a free kick made a remarkable recovery to then chase back after the ball. There were plenty of others but it isn't unique in football now (I include us as well) which highlights how stupid the moaning was from your supporters after the 1st game about us.

Our player, Ciaron Brown, who needed assistance from the bench went off injured tbf.

Tbf to the Ref, he wasn't giving much either way and was pretty consistent with that. Foul throws clearly aren't a thing with him or his assistants. If the players had lost it then it could have got interesting.

If Gavin Whyte could finish (scored a screamer in our last home game) then we could have been comfortable as he missed 3 very good chances but not to be. 2 of those he could have squared to Matty Taylor and then I'm confident we'd have scored 1 at least.

Agreed never leave a game early especially with only 1 goal in it as you miss moments (or your equivalents) like yesterday. In the 90s, my brother left (in the 1st half) when we were 3-0 down to Pompey, we were 5-3 down going into injury time but scored twice in a minute to draw 5-5. The crowd surges/celebrations after the equaliser have long remained in my memory.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford

As soon as Morsy came on I thought ‘that’s a game changer’ and it was. He’s a bit of an assassin and exactly the sort of player our midfield would hate playing against. It worked to great effect.

I can’t say I thought there was any issue with either side. On one occasion Matty Taylor had an unnecessary kick when the game just didn’t need it (he does that most games, mind!) during the second half. I *think* there was a lesser kick on one of our players but otherwise it was as you might expect.

In summary, probably out of sight for Ipswich now however for next season you’d assume they will be promotion chasing based off yesterday/budget/recent form.

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Oxford poor, and us not cynical enough in a totally dominant second half. Sums it up, should have won comfortably but didn't.

Good results in the other games but we've been 9th for what seems like the whole year so onto next season we go.

GFC4EVA

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Would have taken a point before the game, but come away disappointed we didn't win expected much more from sheff wed, as for Darren Moore comments about them dominating the game is just laughable.

Massive boost to be of of the bottom 4 for yhe qst time since November, what a job harris is doing 10 points from safety when he came in to now out of the relegation zone is a miraculous turn around

Last edited:

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Oxford poor, and us not cynical enough in a totally dominant second half. Sums it up, should have won comfortably but didn't.

Good results in the other games but we've been 9th for what seems like the whole year so onto next season we go.
You've got a very selective memory.

We dominated the first half and, as said above, could have been at least two up at half time. Your second half re-shuffle, with Morsy sitting on Kane and Branagan worked for you, and (due to our injury situation) we didn't have the players on the bench to counter it. But even so, you didn't create many clear cut chances in that second half.

The stats show us having the better of possession, shots, successful passes, and corners. Not by much, but enough to make your comment that you should have won comfortably look ridiculous.

Thats six games now, since you've been in this league and it's five draws and one Oxford win. You're nothing special.

longmover

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town FC

ii was a bit embarrassing leaving the ground on Saturday, obviously CTFC fans were delighted to win but there was definitely an air of "sorry about that" :dk:

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
You've got a very selective memory.

We dominated the first half and, as said above, could have been at least two up at half time. Your second half re-shuffle, with Morsy sitting on Kane and Branagan worked for you, and (due to our injury situation) we didn't have the players on the bench to counter it. But even so, you didn't create many clear cut chances in that second half.

The stats show us having the better of possession, shots, successful passes, and corners. Not by much, but enough to make your comment that you should have won comfortably look ridiculous.

Thats six games now, since you've been in this league and it's five draws and one Oxford win. You're nothing special.

Second half was a training session attack v defence, simple as that.

Onto next season we go.

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Onto next season we go.
Attack versus defence when defenders are attacking and attackers defending maybe.

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United

Onto next season we go.
The only thing that's simple is you.

I've given you a balanced response, you're obviously incapable of sensible discussion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yellowman

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!