2016/17 National League North

Darlofan97

Reaction score
Supports
Darlington FC
Quite a good thing we did not sell our allocation. Just about enough room in behind the goals for those that were there. And we then had the idnignity of not being allowed to leave early when we had seen enough, but instead locked in for over 10 minutes.

Good luck in future to the outdoor catering team when the have to serve overpriced food and drink in the rain. 250 away fans is about all the ground is capable of hosting.

Halifax fans were asked to remain in the ground on police advice.

The catering is also provided by the Rugby Club, which we all agree is over-priced.

But as DL5 has pointed out, at least you managed to get served a pint of Bitter! We all agree that the ground needs work but we are starting it from scratch and it is the basic at this level. It will get better over the years.

I suggest a section of your fan-base gets down of its Ivory Tower!

Reactions: DL5

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
Halifax fans were asked to remain in the ground on police advice.

The catering is also provided by the Rugby Club, which we all agree is over-priced.

But as DL5 has pointed out, at least you managed to get served a pint of Bitter! We all agree that the ground needs work but we are starting it from scratch and it is the basic at this level. It will get better over the years.

I suggest a section of your fan-base gets down of its Ivory Tower!
And the police advice was that fans should not exit all at once as the exit road of the ground would be a mangle of fans and cars. A situation that will surely be a regular occurance with the bigger away supports in this division.

Its an ok little set up but a truly awful experience for the away supporters. What do expect me to say? "oh it was a charming experience stood behind a barrier in the freezing wind, queuing for 10 mins at half time for only three urinals, being served over priced poor quality drinks and OAP's not being offered the chance to sit.
As i have said i am glad that for the comfort of myself and all those around me that we did not sell 600 tickets as that area would have struggled with those numbers as many already got a piss poor view of the game (lucky sods).

When/If you visit The Shay on Sunday i am sure you will have a gripe about the extra (adult) cost to get in, the steel girders blocking your view, and the toilets that smell like a victorian alley. They will be all valid points and won't make you bitter at all. Just your right to express the experience you were offered.
I would never judge any away fan telling me that they would never visit The Shay again if they knew they were being housed in the old West stand, much like i shouldn't be judged by saying i have no desire to return to BM in a hurry. It's cretitable that you have found a home but it is just that, somewhere purely focused on making the experience favourable for the home supporters only.

Last edited:

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Ultimately the Shay as it stands was built when we were drawing in a few thousand fans. We'd reached the fourth tier with momentum, where there would be a few away followings of 1,000+ to create a presence in the North Stand or Skircoat Stand. If nowt else, the away accommodation by football league standards is well above average with a fantastic terrace and a seater stand with good acoustics. Cutting the crowds down to the friends and family that visit from Brackley, a few people with 500 seats to choose from, they're not going to have a gazebo and hard standing to enjoy as usual.

Blackwell Meadows was not unlike so many at this level, on the edge of town by greenfield land, exposed to the four winds with little-to-no shelter. Give me an oversized, sturdy and old-fashioned stand any day. Views were non-existent to those stood behind others, although I found it better to sit on the fence behind them. But that accommodation is exactly the same as at a park football game, except it costs £12 with £2 for a tea from a trestle table. Most will know there's a lot of work to be done. The only parts fit for Darlington's purpose are the terrace and possibly the clubhouse buildings. Everyone looked to be stood up in the old grandstand with people stood two deep by the hoardings in front of them. It's exposed with the high roofs, and access/egress is poor. A bit like what we found at Nantwich's ground, its ceiling for a comfortable viewing experience isn't much over 1,500 and whenever Darlington get higher gates the excess crowd will be wondering why they bother.

They were the better team and got an entertaining game. Morgan's two goals really did show talent and Vision™. The first goal we conceded was appalling, even considering the wind. But Darlo worked for it. Our defence, patchwork as it's always been, was well inadequate. We can, and must, bounce back.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
Today was possibly the worst game of football I have ever seen. Thanks to Storm Barry or whatever the fuck we're calling this one it was 90 mins of aimless punts upfield separated only by a quality finish by Meppen-Walter (and some bizarrely casual goalkeeping by them).

Out of interest Harrogate fans, if there were only a 1,000 there today, where the hell do you fit the other 3,000 in when you get a capacity crowd?!?

Totally agree. It was woeful. We in particular were terrible. Not one shot on target in a team set up not to lose with one bloke up front.
Terrible and I apologise as well for the un friendly welcome by the police not used and not wanting football in this town with shutting pubs and the club not allowing away fans in the bar with our big army of security tossers.
The attendances are a mystery. Over the years most fans get quite good at guessing the gate but the last few months...as darlo and afc 2008 fax fans will testify they seem to be made up as they go along.....both higher and lower.
All very tin pot and increasingly questioning of this daddy son feckery.
County will trounce town on the return.

AnimoEtFide

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County
Totally agree. It was woeful. We in particular were terrible. Not one shot on target in a team set up not to lose with one bloke up front.
Terrible and I apologise as well for the un friendly welcome by the police not used and not wanting football in this town with shutting pubs and the club not allowing away fans in the bar with our big army of security tossers.
The attendances are a mystery. Over the years most fans get quite good at guessing the gate but the last few months...as darlo and afc 2008 fax fans will testify they seem to be made up as they go along.....both higher and lower.
All very tin pot and increasingly questioning of this daddy son feckery.
County will trounce town on the return.

It wasn't too bad. Your stewards weren't mard arses and the coppers just sat in their vans keeping warm and counting their overtime pay. Trecking up to the Woodsland Pub only to find it was shut and having to treck back down to the Empress was a pain. However if the supporters bar had been open to away fans it would have been mayhem so I understand why it wasn't. Given that in terms of cost, stewarding, facilities, etc EP is one of the worst grounds for away fans it's a bit churlish for us to moan anyway.

Clem Fandango

Reaction score
Supports
Gloucester City
Been to Brackley every season and the vast majority of the time it's been awful, didn't go yesterday thankfully given we rolled over again. Seven defeats on the trot, atrocious.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Telford 1 -1 Alfreton.

An Atrocious game. Both sides extremely poor. We took the lead after 13 minutes thanks to a dodgy penalty and then did the square root of fuck all for the rest of the game. Telford grew in to the game to the point we were we all over us in the final 20 minutes. Lucky to get away with a point.

Dont think the game would have looked out of place at Step 4. It was an awful spectacle with hoofball the order of the day and both sets of players treating the ball as a ticking time bomb.

HG Yellow&Black

Reaction score
Supports
Harrogate Town
It wasn't too bad. Your stewards weren't mard arses and the coppers just sat in their vans keeping warm and counting their overtime pay. Trecking up to the Woodsland Pub only to find it was shut and having to treck back down to the Empress was a pain. However if the supporters bar had been open to away fans it would have been mayhem so I understand why it wasn't. Given that in terms of cost, stewarding, facilities, etc EP is one of the worst grounds for away fans it's a bit churlish for us to moan anyway.

Would appear you got off lightly then. From chats pre and post game others thought differently and saw this....https://mobile.twitter.com/BruckshawSCFC/status/813749864299450369

Been to edgley quite a bit over the years but is OK, compare it to Salford and it becomes the Wembley of the division. You may as well take the 3 points now for the new years game. One wins since September tells our sorry tale.

Josh Butler

Reaction score
Supports
Boston Utd
Our game v Gainsborough was also npl standard. At least we look more solid and more organised but both sides guilty of errors leading to corners from which the goals came from. Important we avoid defeat to these on NYD and to Bradford in late January

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Ultimately the Shay as it stands was built when we were drawing in a few thousand fans. We'd reached the fourth tier with momentum, where there would be a few away followings of 1,000+ to create a presence in the North Stand or Skircoat Stand. If nowt else, the away accommodation by football league standards is well above average with a fantastic terrace and a seater stand with good acoustics. Cutting the crowds down to the friends and family that visit from Brackley, a few people with 500 seats to choose from, they're not going to have a gazebo and hard standing to enjoy as usual.

Blackwell Meadows was not unlike so many at this level, on the edge of town by greenfield land, exposed to the four winds with little-to-no shelter. Give me an oversized, sturdy and old-fashioned stand any day. Views were non-existent to those stood behind others, although I found it better to sit on the fence behind them. But that accommodation is exactly the same as at a park football game, except it costs £12 with £2 for a tea from a trestle table. Most will know there's a lot of work to be done. The only parts fit for Darlington's purpose are the terrace and possibly the clubhouse buildings. Everyone looked to be stood up in the old grandstand with people stood two deep by the hoardings in front of them. It's exposed with the high roofs, and access/egress is poor. A bit like what we found at Nantwich's ground, its ceiling for a comfortable viewing experience isn't much over 1,500 and whenever Darlington get higher gates the excess crowd will be wondering why they bother.

They were the better team and got an entertaining game. Morgan's two goals really did show talent and Vision™. The first goal we conceded was appalling, even considering the wind. But Darlo worked for it. Our defence, patchwork as it's always been, was well inadequate. We can, and must, bounce back.

It's worth mentioning that I'm only posting half of my "thoughts" here!

On the other hand I recognise Darlington as fellow travellers all the way, feel vaguely privileged that our game there turned out to be their first back in the town, and could understand if Quakers fans aren't massively particular about the standard of their home ground by now. There's so much scope for a lasting venue there than the old Arena. I just hope some of it is realised by the next time we come up...

Though it's not nestled in a (sub-)urban area, it'd be nice to see it grow organically into a ground similar to Feethams, which has an ideal capacity for a club of their, or even our, size. If they're still playing at Blackwell Meadows when I plan to die aged 150, then it'd be a grand thing.

Halifax Town's position in the football pyramid doesn't bear thinking about at the minute, but the Conference North right now is a bigger league than the Conference National wot we won in 1997/98, which can't be all a bad thing.

Our forum is in a never-ending #meltdown now, but I am quietly confident about Sunday...

BigDaveCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Curzon Ashton....and Carlisle
I see Morgan has nabbed another 2 goals for Halifax today meaning he's 4 goals in 2 games, and 15 goals in about 2 months.............cracking player, a shame we had no money to keep him as he will sell for a bit of money in time.

most of league playing at present.

currently Alfreton 3-1 Telford
BPA 0-1 Salford
Chorley 1-2 Fylde
Gainsborough 1-1 Boston
Halifax 2-2 Darlington
Kidderminster 2-1 Worcester
Nuneaton 1-0 Tamworth
Stockport 1-0 Harrogate
FCUM 1-1 Altrincham..............yep not losing for first time in about 5 months.

CFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Supports
Chorley FC/ Blackburn Rovers
Well..... Fylde were flattered with that result. A draw was deserved, close game. Worldie from blakeman from 35 yards but 2 mistakes cost us, the third was just a counter from us chasing the equaliser. Walker out for 6-8 weeks which is a huge blow and carver stretchered off today after the biggest fucking cheat in the national league north (Langley) elbowed him twice. First they went up for a header carver went in strong and Langley with an elbow, then when carver was on the floor, he elbowed him again! He was lucky to get away with one in the other game as well (also on carver) We'll need a few more strikers now that the starting 2 are both injured. Cofie wasn't very convincing today, what do Telford fans think about him?

CFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Supports
Any stockport fans know who knocked out duxbury against flyde?

CFC4LIFE

Reaction score
Supports
On the plus side, Danny Rowe didn't score against us, didn't really get a look in in both games!

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
2-1 win today over our old lodgers. First half we started well but Worcester came with a gameplan to get a draw and were time wasting from the first minute. Halfway through the first half we failed to clear the ball and let Junior English bring it down in the box and slot home. Then nothing happens in the rest of the first half.

Second half we took off Ty Williams and Sam Austin replaced him. Austin completely changed the game he gave us an extra yard of pace and we started battering the Worcester area trying to break in as they had 10 men in the box. Eventually we got a break through as Zaine Francis Angol broke free on the left and pulled the ball across and it deflected to James McQuilkin who struck home.

Finally Austin went passed his man and drilled a low ball is Sam Oji decided to dive towards the low ball with his head and headed it passed Ross. And the last thing to happen was Lee Hughes who was clearly wound up getting a red. Elton Ngwatla was winding up players with his footwork so Hughes decided to go in and kick him.

2-1 win and we play Salford away next which is a massive game.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Alfreton 3-2 Telford (Shelton 16, Westcarr pen 34, Marshall 43) (Wilson pen 36, Kissock 90)

New year new start. And 3 much needed points...just! 4 changes with a few surprising players benched.

Well taken opener from Shelton after a quiet opening 15 minutes. But there was little quiet about the rest of the game.

Westcarr made it two on 34 when he scored his second spot in as many games. Less than 90 seconds late though a silly push in the back in the box and Telford had a route back in to the game which Wilson took. Mantack was much better in his more advanced role and after being denied another penalty he got free again, fired it accross the box to Paul Marshall who controlled well before coolly slotting past the keeper with aplomb. 3-1 at HT.

Just 3 minutes in to the second half and the Telford had their second pen, the third of the game after Etheridge hauled down Reid despite saving his intial shot. Up stepped Wilson once again... only to strike the base of the post! Big let off.

We then contrived to waste about 4 good chances to make the game safe. Shelton the worst culrpit with two tame efforts when through on goal.

With a minute to go plus added time John Paul Kissock found the net with a snap shot from 25 yards and being Alfreton we just had to make life diffcult for ourselves for ourselves didnt we?

First Havern who was playing as an emergency stiker contrived to fire wide from close range after a scramble. We were beginning to panic and were indebted to an incredible double save from Etheridge, the second was jaw dropping, for the win. That was still not the end of the action as Bailey was shown his marching orders before Hearn wasted another chance with the last kick.

Its 3 absolutely massive points on the board.

Was stood next to Rob Smith as he did his post match interview for BBC Radio. Safe to say he didnt hold back! He was visibly livid. Calling them the worst team in the league and really laying in to the players. Think they were far from the worst in the league and and for long periods of the game were the better side.

SomeMightShay

Reaction score
Supports
FC Halifax Town
Twitter
@SomeMightShay
I see Morgan has nabbed another 2 goals for Halifax today meaning he's 4 goals in 2 games, and 15 goals in about 2 months.............cracking player, a shame we had no money to keep him as he will sell for a bit of money in time.

Putting Morgan in this side of ours is akin to Stoke signing Lionel Messi. A complete waste of a career in the Conference North. Should have stuck it out another couple of months and he would have got a deal at a National League side. Only our reputation of getting players a move higher up has helped us sign him.

We were pretty middle of the road today and only Morgan saved us from a fruitless Xmas. We are a long way off the play-offs on today's showing.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Morgan will be the next £1million non league player. Has a passing resemblance in style to Vardy too. :bdick:

Solihull Mooron

Reaction score
Supports
Solihull Moors
On one hand it would be funny but on the other I wouldn't want to be competing with them again next season.
But surely you can't wish on them to climb the pyramid? Unfortunately, I can't see how they can manage to mess it up this season. Salford will be next season's Fylde.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
With a minute to go plus added time John Paul Kissock found the net with a snap shot from 25 yards and being Alfreton we just had to make life diffcult for ourselves for ourselves didnt we?

Is that what's become of "THE NON-LEAGUE MESSI", bloody Telford?

Most overrated player I've seen in non-league.

DL5

Reaction score
Supports
Darlo
But surely you can't wish on them to climb the pyramid? Unfortunately, I can't see how they can manage to mess it up this season. Salford will be next season's Fylde.
Yes if Darlo's not going to win the title (which is possible but not likely) then I want Fylde up and out of the way, if they missed out this time they'd just spend money and strengthen and it would be very hard to compete with a full time club.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Play on, ref!

Gregg Smith ‏@GreggSmith10 34m34 minutes ago
It's straight again they set it back I am home resting @GainsTrinityFC @bostonunited everyone involved were top draw fans both side #bufc

C1HqFjOWEAMdpKN.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scotox

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!
4K UK IPTV