2021/22 Squads

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Alright, we've got bugger all on now so let's have your squad breakdowns as they are right now for next season.

Players under contract at Grimsby
GK

James McKeown - will be a high earner for this level, but dropping down I'd expect him to be solid enough. You know what you're getting with Macca. Occasional clangers and dodgy kicking, but one of the best shot stoppers at this level and the level above.

Sam Russell - GK coach who is on the books for emergency duty.

Defence
Luke Waterfall - Has had a poor season, despite a fairly decent start in my opinion. You won't find too many Town fans not wanting him paid off, but I'd actually go against the grain here. Partly because there is a lot more dross we need to pay off and partly because I reckon he can do a job. He still gets his head on everything and still offers an attacking threat from set pieces. Completely trust Hurst to make the right call here. No way will he keep defenders he doesn't trust.

Midfield
Filipe Morais - Hurst has already said his future at Blundell Park is over after he had a fight with Stefan Payne on the pitch at Bradford a few weeks ago. A shame in my opinion, as he's got a decent delivery and works hard. Could have been an asset next season.

Danny Rose - Weird one. At times he looked good last season, at times he was a passenger in games. Good on the ball and keeps things ticking over but I don't think he's combative enough for this level. Given that he's on fairly high wages, I'd probably get rid. I think he's capable of dropping down and having a good season, but I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

George Williams - Most talented player in the squad, but has never really had a decent run of matches and he's soft as fuck. Doesn't strike me as a Hurst player. Shame it hasn't worked out because he's good enough to tear The Conference apart.

Max Wright - Has had a stinker of a season injuries wise. Classic Town academy graduate in that he broke through and looked like a really exciting prospect but has ultimately stuttered. Will be on a lower wage than all those above I've written about above and that should save him. I think he could definitely benefit from dropping down though. Tireless worker when he's fit and one of the few players in our squad that can skin a defender when he's on form.

Sean Scannell - Shite signing. I said so at the time and I was bang on. Top of the list to pay off for me.

Strikers
Montel Gibson - Clearly not in Hurst's plans. Shipped out to Alty earlier on in the season. Very weird, poor Holloway signing.

Ira Jackson Jr - Another weird Holloway signing, but has had a bit of game time under Hurst. Will have a better chance of avoiding the chop than Gibson. Personally, I'm not convinced by him. We need better than him up top from what I've seen,

Lenell John-Lewis - Opinions almost irrelevant here, Hurst loves him. I'd bet good money that he starts the season for us.

Players out of contract at Grimsby
GK

Ollie Battersby - Young keeper, never seen him play. I'd imagine we'll be bringing in new backup, if there's room in the budget.

Defence
Sam Habergham - Solid enough, but too injury prone for me. I'd get rid.

Luke Hendrie - Still a good L2 RB, should get a L2 club but if he doesn't retain him at all costs, I'd say.

Elliot Hewitt - Notts fans might be surprised about this, but it turns out he's a quality CB. As above with Hendrie, should easily get a L2 club. But we need to be offering him a deal. Along with Matete has been the other stand out performer since we've improved under Hurst.

Duncan Idehan - Academy graduate CB, who I don't think has featured on the pitch under Hurst? Haven't seen enough of him really to have made my mind up.

Mattie Pollock - Still fully convinced there's a very good CB in there, despite having a torrid season. Hurst is just the man to get the most out of him. If we don't manage to get Menayese, he'll need someone pacey alongside him. A big part of his poor form this season has been down to playing alongside Waterfall (the same could be said for him too). I think he'll do well dropping down a division. Keep.

Midfield
Harry Clifton - Another one that will benefit from dropping down a division. Give him a year deal and get other midfielders in who are better on the ball than him. He can be the engine room. Versatile too, kind of a no brainer.

Giles Coke - Get rid for me, I'd rather have Clifton. His passing is crap and he can only really play in one position as far as I know.

Julien Lamy - From the little I've seen of him, I've been relatively impressed. Depends how much he wants wage wise, I guess.

Luke Spokes - Hmmmmm, a lot of Town fans rate him. I'm not convinced, I'd get rid. He's tidy enough but I don't really know what he does/what he brings to the table and I'm not sure if that's because he's a passenger or he's going under the radar.

Strikers
Matt Green - LOL. Sure you're a nice guy, but you're shite now. One of the worst players I've seen play 50+ games for us.

Hamez Hanson - Shot ourselves in the foot here giving LJL an 18 month deal in Jan as Hanson is a much better player, but we don't want both of them. The one saving grace is that he's made of glass, so I'll focus on that. A fit Hanson would rip this division up alongside the right partner(s).

Stefan Payne - Get the fuck out of our club please.

Alhagi Touray Sisay - The weirdest of all the Holloway signings. Has he even been on the bench? Bizarre one and won't be here.

Players we've had on loan this season
Jake Eastwood - Solid keeper, should be looking at a loan move where he can nail down a starting spot. I'd be happy if he came back here, but he's better than understudy to McKeown from what I've seen.

Rollin Menayese - Solid, quick and reliable. Has formed a decent partnership with Hewitt. As with Hendrie and Hewitt, should get a L2 club but I'd be happy if we can get him signed up.

Idris El Mizouni - Not good enough. Has he been injured recently? Can't remember the last time he played.

Jay Matete - Absolutely no chance of signing him, he's been class. Fully expect him to break into Fleetwood's team next season.

Kyle Bennett - Quite how/why Bristol Rovers are paying him 4k a week is quite baffling. Looked alright for a bit but then got injured. No chance he'll be back here and he won't really be missed.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Agree with most of that except Coke, I’ve been impressed in the bits I’ve seen of him and I’d like to keep him if possible. Menayese a bit of a strange one as the Mansfield fans told us he was crap, after a couple of games we all agreed with them and then since then he’s been one of our top players and I’d now be delighted if we were to get him here permanent.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We've only got Jordan Davies, Jordan Ponticelli and Dior Angus under contract, the rest have contracts which run out in the summer. I'd keep most of the defence, Rob Lainton, Luke Young and Dan Jarvis but would be shipping most of the others off. None of it really matters if we keep the manager on though, who also has a contract which runs out in the summer.

The new owners have instructed us to not hand out any new deals to players until the CEO is in place, from June.

Seventyseven

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay United, The Angels and the REAL Brotherhood
Alright, we've got bugger all on now so let's have your squad breakdowns as they are right now for next season.

Jebus! Can't we finish this one first?

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
George Williams - Most talented player in the squad, but has never really had a decent run of matches and he's soft as fuck. Doesn't strike me as a Hurst player. Shame it hasn't worked out because he's good enough to tear The Conference apart.
Wtf happened to him? I remember being in the ground when he gave Belgium a huge runaround in 2014.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Agree with most of that except Coke, I’ve been impressed in the bits I’ve seen of him and I’d like to keep him if possible. Menayese a bit of a strange one as the Mansfield fans told us he was crap, after a couple of games we all agreed with them and then since then he’s been one of our top players and I’d now be delighted if we were to get him here permanent.
Would you keep him and Clifton though? And if not, would you keep Coke over Clifton?
I know you're all excited to be back but this seems a bit premature!
HAVE HEARD YOU KNOW ALL ABOUT COMING PREMATUELY MATE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jebus! Can't we finish this one first?
Nope, we're ready now. This is late, in my opinion.

Harrier94

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
Montel Gibson - Clearly not in Hurst's plans. Shipped out to Alty earlier on in the season. Very weird, poor Holloway signing.
Still frustrating you out bid us for him. It was basically a done deal for us till you stepped in.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Wtf happened to him? I remember being in the ground when he gave Belgium a huge runaround in 2014.
Broke his leg for FGR the season before (after having had a ruptured ACL earlier in his career). Massive shame as he seems to be carrying a bit of baggage mentally due to that, in my opinion. I'd love it if he can get back to the player he obviously was at one point, but it's not likely going off this season.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Still frustrating you out bid us for him. It was basically a done deal for us till you stepped in.
Didn't realise that. I think you'd be able to take him off our hands with relative ease in pre-season, to be honest.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Broke his leg for FGR the season before (after having had a ruptured ACL earlier in his career). Massive shame as he seems to be carrying a bit of baggage mentally due to that, in my opinion. I'd love it if he can get back to the player he obviously was at one point, but it's not likely going off this season.
What a shame for the lad, he looked a great talent. I thought he was going to win a good number of caps for Wales.

Fulham seems to be a bad luck club for Welsh footballers. Chris Coleman and Simon Davies ended their professional careers early there, and the likes of George Williams and Jordan Evans have faded into obscurity after leaving.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
What a shame for the lad, he looked a great talent. I thought he was going to win a good number of caps for Wales.

Fulham seems to be a bad luck club for Welsh footballers. Chris Coleman and Simon Davies ended their professional careers early there, and the likes of George Williams and Jordan Evans have faded into obscurity after leaving.
There's a player still in there. He was quality against Orient and Mansfield this season, but that was really about it. Any FGR fan will tell you before his leg break that he was one of their best players. It's one of those situations where you just want him to get back on track, whether that's with us or elsewhere,

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
As we’re currently in ‘dear god let this terrible season end’ until we win a game again, I’ll have a go.

Under contract:

Jake Reeves - Been a big disappointment really considering the reviews from former clubs. Has shown some signs of life under Burchnall playing a slightly different role.

Kyle Wootton - Going through a horrible spell where he’s missing all manner of sitters, but in general a top striker for this level really and his hold up play/pressing is great.

Cal Roberts - Best player in the league™. Might be dead.

Elisha Sam - Complete enigma. Six foot three and I’ve never seen him head the ball. Will probably win the Puskas award this year. Not really had a look in under Burchnall, there’s a player in there somewhere but wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave.

Ruben Rodrigues - Extremely frustrating. Technically extremely gifted but not performed consistently. Also been out of favour, with some suggestions from the management duo that there’s some issues around homesickness and that kind of thing (unsurprising considering his family can’t even visit). Hope we persevere.

Lewis Knight - Only signed a couple of months ago from Bradford Park Avenue. Lightning quick but very raw, bit of a project.

Out of contract:

Sam Slocombe - Fine ‘keeper for this level. Keep.

Luke Pilling - Burchnall went out and immediately signed a new ‘keeper when Slocombe got injured, which suggests his days are numbered.

Luke Steele - Just here as short term cover.

Richard Brindley - Good player at right back, only question is whether you can justify having both him and the next guy.

Dion Kelly-Evans - The honey badger. Very angry, short right back we found at Kettering Town. One of our most consistent performers, hopefully Burchnall can improve his attacking game. Keep.

Ben Turner - Legs don’t move any more. Release.

Alex Lacey - Class act, so good on the ball for a lower league centre back. Could easily play higher, but a bit injury prone. Keep.

Connell Rawlinson - Looks completely worn out along with a couple of others who we’ve had to flog through three games a week, but generally been great for us. Keep.

Damien McCrory - Been injured all season. Solid when he’s fit, but hard to see how he gets a new deal.

Jordan Barnett - Left back who can’t defend. Appears to have fallen out with Burchnall. Release.

Adam Chicksen - Weird one, probably been our most consistent player under Burchnall. Never got a look in under Ardley even though he signed him. Undecided.

Jim O’Brien - Always puts a shift in, but past his best now. Release.

Michael Doyle - I’ve become more of a Doyle believer of late, we really missed him recently when injured. We have to get ourselves out of being reliant on a 40 year old playing every minute, but wouldn’t be against another year with a reduced role and maybe some coaching.

Enzio Boldewijn - Become a very hard-working and diligent winger under Ardley, but also seems to have lost some of his flair on that journey. Not starting games lately, suspect he’ll be off to a league club.

Loanees:

Mark Ellis - Has played quite well as an individual, but our defence has been all over the place since he signed. Has chipped in with goals. Not sure.

Matty Wolfe - Think he actually might be dead.

Calvin Miller - Contributed very little.

Regan Griffiths - Too lightweight.

Jimmy Knowles - Raw, but has a knack of scoring goals. Wouldn’t be entirely against us trying to sign him permanently.

I remain completely baffled, looking at that squad, as to how we’ve managed to make such a complete balls up of this season.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Surprised at how few Notts players I know. For some reason I thought I knew who about half the squad was. Has there been quite a high turnover of players this season? I like the sound of this angry right back.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Surprised at how few Notts players I know. For some reason I thought I knew who about half the squad was. Has there been quite a high turnover of players this season? I like the sound of this angry right back.

Most of our players are ex-league ones to be honest. Then we’ve got the two foreign lads and Roberts who we plucked from Blyth Spartans. Our recruitment could be weird this summer, we’ve got a head coach now and are probably going to hand it all over to the algorithm.

My personal highlight of the season is Dion trying to fight the tallest player in the league at Woking.

8E67D477-0317-4CF9-BD39-063604F3790D.jpeg

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
You haven't heard of Cal Roberts? He's basically the non-league Messi.*

*if you believe what Notts County fans tell you.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax

Plays about 32.8 minutes a season so I've heard. Must be bloody good in that time though haha

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
He wasn’t even injury prone until the gods decided to unleash a global pandemic with weird post-viral muscle effects. The only way to tame him, apparently.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
Do you not know the tinpotters of this league don't offer players more than 1 year deals.

Players of ours signed on for next season

Jake Hyde - marque striker signing from us at the end of last season. Has had his injury problems this season but when he's fit he's a bloody good striker at this level

Matty Stenson- supposed to be first choice with Hyde this season but got injured in pre season got back fit then ruptured his cruciate knee ligaments and tore his meniscus 16 minutes into his competitive debut and hasn't played since. Due back November time.

Jamie Allen. At his best when he doesnt have options on the ball. When confronted with a choice on the ball he usually makes the wrong one. Very fast though and when 1 on 1 with a keeper he is very reliable.

Neill Byrne- centre back signed from Fylde end of last season. Decent on the ball. Happy with him.

Kian Spence- not sure if he's signed or we just have the option to extend it. Was good on Tueaday in his first start. Not seen enough to judge.

Chief Rocka

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Team of the Season already decided, Cal Roberts with a virtuoso performance in every position.

I'm so lucky I got to see him live for 10 sweet minutes :wub:

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Our recruitment could be weird this summer, we’ve got a head coach now and are probably going to hand it all over to the algorithm.
This is the kind of thing that works superbly for well ran clubs like Southampton, but the idea of Notts County doing it is a terrifying proposition. For Notts fans.

This guy better be absolutely mint when I see him...

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
This is the kind of thing that works superbly for well ran clubs like Southampton, but the idea of Notts County doing it is a terrifying proposition. For Notts fans.

This guy better be absolutely mint when I see him...

Our fans are absolutely losing their minds at it already, even though we’ve not even really started and spent our first couple of years just trying to buy our way out with League One and Two players ‘who should be far too good for this league’ but have largely proven not to be...

Roberts has made three ten minute comebacks since having Covid and broken down after or during all of them. I’d say his career is pretty up in the air at this point, sadly.

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
So far signed on for next season we have:

Luke Wilkinson CB
Max Hunt CB
Alex Bradley RB
Tom Knowles AM
Josh Staunton CB/DM
Joe Quigley CF

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Would you keep him and Clifton though? And if not, would you keep Coke over Clifton?
I would definitely keep Clifton over him given current form as Clifton’s been excellent recently.
Not sure then if I’d keep them both, guess I’ll just get on that fence.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Under Contract til 2022
Jake Bickerstaff -young striker. Doing well out on loan in WPL
Max Cleworth - young defender. Also out on loan in WPL
Jordan Ponticelli - hasnt done as well as his loan spell, seems off pace and injury prone
Jordan Davies - our best player of the second half of this season. Hopefully we can keep hold of him
Dior Angus - handful up front and chips in with goals. Linked up well with Thomas
Ryan Austin - another academy defender

Out of contract
Bobby Grant - finally we will be out of his insane auto renew contract if he decides he wants to stay. Talent wise he is better than this league, hence why he has been out on loan at L1 and L2 clubs, but his attitude stinks - Get Rid
Daniel Jarvis - good player but our current manager doesnt know what to do with him - Renew
Jay Harris - dependable but i would say we can get better - and younger - Get Rid
Rob Lainton - Mr Dependable and on his game probably one of the best in the league, but also becoming more injury prone, which was a lot of fans worries when he first signed. I would keep but we need a better number 2 to challenge his spot - Renew
Luke Young - a consistent 7/10 player. may struggle next season if we sign better players but he is worth keeping - Renew
Devonte Redmond - wasted talent, will probably slip down the leagues now - Get Rid
Shaun Pearson - Conflicted here. still does a job but again injury prone. will probably say he needs another season. if we did let go I imagine Grimsby would snap him up, but he is settled in this area now. - Renew
Jamie Reckord - touted as best LB in this league, as usual we seem to have killed his reputation. funny position to fill, but he is a downgrade from Jennings IMO - Get Rid
Christian Dibble - has done a job when called upon, but more prone to errors than most would like. time to Get Rid
Mark Carrington - another conflicting one. very handy as he is versatile, and is Mr Wrexham. i would say keep but he will probably not feature much - Renew
Paul Rutherford - according to RP - on buttons, works hard, knows the league. will be 34 next season and we can sign better - Get Rid
Reece Hall-Johnson - best right back we have had since Obeng, but that probably says more about how shit we have been as apposed to how good RHJ is. more attacking than defending hence his goal record. Renew
Theo Vassell - been solid for us - Renew
Kwame Thomas - Surprise of the season. his highest ever goalscoring season was cruelly curtailed by an ACL injury. would definitely Renew.
Fiacre Kelleher - Pearson Mk 2 - Renew
James Horsfield - hasnt featured - Get Rid
Dawid Szczepaniak - 3rd Choice Keeper, was lucky to get a contract after initially being released, but i think that was more due to the lack of games in the WPL - Get Rid
Tyler French - been a revalation since signing for us - Renew

Non Contract players - basically on trial

Gold Omatayo - different to what we currently have - worth another look in the summer
Keanu Marsh-Brown - so far, so underwhelming - let go
Chris Sang - only brief cameos so far - worth another look in the summer
Cameron Green - dont think he has even been on the bench, but has Prem U23 pedigree - worth another look in the summer

Hollywood Red

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Under Contract til 2022
Jake Bickerstaff -young striker. Doing well out on loan in WPL
Max Cleworth - young defender. Also out on loan in WPL
Jordan Ponticelli - hasnt done as well as his loan spell, seems off pace and injury prone
Jordan Davies - our best player of the second half of this season. Hopefully we can keep hold of him
Dior Angus - handful up front and chips in with goals. Linked up well with Thomas
Ryan Austin - another academy defender

Out of contract
Bobby Grant - finally we will be out of his insane auto renew contract if he decides he wants to stay. Talent wise he is better than this league, hence why he has been out on loan at L1 and L2 clubs, but his attitude stinks - Get Rid
Daniel Jarvis - good player but our current manager doesnt know what to do with him - Renew
Jay Harris - dependable but i would say we can get better - and younger - Get Rid
Rob Lainton - Mr Dependable and on his game probably one of the best in the league, but also becoming more injury prone, which was a lot of fans worries when he first signed. I would keep but we need a better number 2 to challenge his spot - Renew
Luke Young - a consistent 7/10 player. may struggle next season if we sign better players but he is worth keeping - Renew
Devonte Redmond - wasted talent, will probably slip down the leagues now - Get Rid
Shaun Pearson - Conflicted here. still does a job but again injury prone. will probably say he needs another season. if we did let go I imagine Grimsby would snap him up, but he is settled in this area now. - Renew
Jamie Reckord - touted as best LB in this league, as usual we seem to have killed his reputation. funny position to fill, but he is a downgrade from Jennings IMO - Get Rid
Christian Dibble - has done a job when called upon, but more prone to errors than most would like. time to Get Rid
Mark Carrington - another conflicting one. very handy as he is versatile, and is Mr Wrexham. i would say keep but he will probably not feature much - Renew
Paul Rutherford - according to RP - on buttons, works hard, knows the league. will be 34 next season and we can sign better - Get Rid
Reece Hall-Johnson - best right back we have had since Obeng, but that probably says more about how shit we have been as apposed to how good RHJ is. more attacking than defending hence his goal record. Renew
Theo Vassell - been solid for us - Renew
Kwame Thomas - Surprise of the season. his highest ever goalscoring season was cruelly curtailed by an ACL injury. would definitely Renew.
Fiacre Kelleher - Pearson Mk 2 - Renew
James Horsfield - hasnt featured - Get Rid
Dawid Szczepaniak - 3rd Choice Keeper, was lucky to get a contract after initially being released, but i think that was more due to the lack of games in the WPL - Get Rid
Tyler French - been a revalation since signing for us - Renew

Non Contract players - basically on trial

Gold Omatayo - different to what we currently have - worth another look in the summer
Keanu Marsh-Brown - so far, so underwhelming - let go
Chris Sang - only brief cameos so far - worth another look in the summer
Cameron Green - dont think he has even been on the bench, but has Prem U23 pedigree - worth another look in the summer
I expect we will sign at least 6 players to go straight into our team GK (as Lainton is made of glass) another CH defensive MF attacking MF and 2 forwards (one being Andy Cook if Keates is still manager) and probably another 3 squad players.
Big question will be will Keates still be manager? Gut feeling is probably yes as to be fair he has worked wonders with no budget so far and I think they will give him a chance until at least Christmas

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Not sure on that, it would depend on which of our current CBs we keep hold of. If we can't get Menayese and Hewitt doesn't sign another deal then we'll be severely lacking pace at the back. As much as I love Pearson, we shouldn't be signing players deemed not good enough for promotion rivals out of nostalgia. I kind of want him to come back here with another team and get a standing ovation from us. Probably the worst thing Russell Slade did as manager was getting rid of him for Nathan Clarke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!