2022/2023 Promotion Thread

Moonie

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Not good enough for autos. Need to be beating Hartlepool next week because we'll get nothing against Carlisle. Don't fancy meeting any of the current teams in the playoffs tbh.
It's league 2 - anybody can beat anybody on any given day. Valley Parade will surely be packed a week on Tuesday, big game for both sides...

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
It’s basically between the top 8 as it stands.

Mansfield have the games in hand but are sadly decimated by injuries we’ve northampton and stockport away before playing imposter sutton (the proper one being in nottinghamshire) if we’re anywhere near the playoffs after that i’ll be delighted.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
It’s basically between the top 8 as it stands.

Mansfield have the games in hand but are sadly decimated by injuries we’ve northampton and stockport away before playing imposter sutton (the proper one being in nottinghamshire) if we’re anywhere near the playoffs after that i’ll be delighted.
Still think it's running deeper than top 8. I've got a feeling for Sutton getting in the top 7.

Swindon are capable with their squad too, go on a good run, couple of games in hands and they could be in the picture.

Not sure about Doncaster, Barrow but it would be harsh not to include Barrow based on their current position. Whoever Barrow play, they seem to have a knack of draggIng their opponents down to their level.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
FGR is a weird one considering they lost a manager and the top players.

We can all pick out an example anyway, I thought Vale would be struggling but they look pretty cosy and on their way to a solid first season in L1.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

We can all pick out an example anyway, I thought Vale would be struggling but they look pretty cosy and on their way to a solid first season in L1.

As you say FGR struggling is due to them getting raided for all their top players. If they’d kept them then they’d stay up too.

Ourselves, Rovers and Exeter largely kept the core of those squads from last season and truth be told outside of the top 6 in L1 it’s been more than enough to compete. I’d expect any of the promoted teams this season to be able to consolidate though that’s not knowing contractual situations for your best players.

Anyway no real opinion on anyone else but hope Mansfield do it. Thought their fans showed a lot of class during and after the playoff final so right behind them.

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd

For me it all depends on momentum, a team going up into L1 with hopes of going further like ourselves will at least want to hold our own in a league we're big enough for.
Yet a club like Northampton who switch between the two leagues regularly would go up with zero momentum and will expect L2 football again very soon, but be accepting of it.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I think anyone going up should be able to do it, or expecting to.

You look at some of those sides in the bottom half of league 1 and think well if they can we should be able to

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I think anyone going up should be able to do it, or expecting to.

You look at some of those sides in the bottom half of league 1 and think well if they can we should be able to
Every season Simmo has managed us so far we've been a whole division better the following season and even after he left after getting us promoted to league one in his first spell, the team he left were able to challenge at the top of league one.

Touch wood this time around he gets us promoted and stays with us.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
League One hit a pinnacle a couple of years ago in my opinion, but now a lot of the 'clearly too big for the third tier' clubs have gone back up/look like they're on the way this season. If Sheff Weds, Ipswich and Derby go up and replace the bottom 3 in the Champ as it stands then Huddersfield, Wigan and Blackpool are all a level below in all aspects which should dilute the strength of the top end of League One a little. They'll probably still challenge at the top end, but they won't be as daft as coming up against clubs with ridiculous squads like Wednesday, Ipswich or Sunderland in recent years.

It's all good news from a League Two promotion point of view - whichever of you end up going up then you have a decent chance of staying up, although it has to be said the smaller/less resourced clubs do seem to be struggling there this year.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Quite a few Championship clubs are in trouble - possible points deductions, admin, transfer bans. Wigan, after nearly going kaput a couple of years ago, and right back in the shit already.

it’s a rum do when clubs such as ours look up to the likes of Luton as being one to aspire to!

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
League One hit a pinnacle a couple of years ago in my opinion, but now a lot of the 'clearly too big for the third tier' clubs have gone back up/look like they're on the way this season. If Sheff Weds, Ipswich and Derby go up and replace the bottom 3 in the Champ as it stands then Huddersfield, Wigan and Blackpool are all a level below in all aspects which should dilute the strength of the top end of League One a little. They'll probably still challenge at the top end, but they won't be as daft as coming up against clubs with ridiculous squads like Wednesday, Ipswich or Sunderland in recent years.

It's all good news from a League Two promotion point of view - whichever of you end up going up then you have a decent chance of staying up, although it has to be said the smaller/less resourced clubs do seem to be struggling there this year.
Been a while since we were up there but back then we had the likes of Notts forest, wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Norwich and Leeds to contend with. If it looks like it'll be a relatively benign division next season then it'll only be a temporary thing.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
It’s not a new thing for L1, though. Not that long ago Leeds and Southampton and Sheffield Utd were there.

Good dose of reality for them and their fans.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Been a while since we were up there but back then we had the likes of Notts forest, wolves, Sheffield United, Leicester, Norwich and Leeds to contend with. If it looks like it'll be a relatively benign division next season then it'll only be a temporary thing.

Ah yes the days when you had 8 years and we had 9 years in League One after both being promoted in 2006 and having to deal with the likes or Forest, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Wolves, Leeds. Norwich and Leicester each season who would regularly eclipse everyone else with their much larger budgets and taking the smaller clubs best players.

As you say, next season could be a bit more open if Sheff Wed, Ipswich and Derby all go up..........Having said that we've not played Derby at Pride Park so I would be happy for them to stay down for one more season..............

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
It’s not a new thing for L1, though. Not that long ago Leeds and Southampton and Sheffield Utd were there.

Good dose of reality for them and their fans.

It’s a phrase that it rankles me that “(insert club) shouldn’t be in (x) division)”

Why? there’s clearly a reason as to why they are there, so yes, they should be there. Whereas i appreciate that mansfield never have and more than likely never will be a hotbed for football in england i find it really patronising when we play one of these sides we apparently shouldn’t be playing.

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
No I agree, it's been like that for a long time with some big hitters dropping in and bouncing back up. Like I say if it's Hudders, Blackpool and Wigan then they're just not of the same level as some who've dropped down over the years. Wigan will inevitably have a miraculous recovery from their latest nonsense and win the league again before going nearly bust - again - as that's been their path for the last decade.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
It’s a phrase that it rankles me that “(insert club) shouldn’t be in (x) division)”

Why? there’s clearly a reason as to why they are there, so yes, they should be there. Whereas i appreciate that mansfield never have and more than likely never will be a hotbed for football in england i find it really patronising when we play one of these sides we apparently shouldn’t be playing.

That's every club's fans in this division when they play Barrow.

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
I must admit I do have a patronising soft spot for Barrow.

Yeah, so do i.

Always enjoyed the trips there for some reason (think it’s because we normally win) but decent for a weekend.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Massive week for us. Cobblers and Stockport away. I'd probably take a win and a loss to be fair, if we can come out with more than that though then we're in a good position going into the last 10. Hopefully get Pym, Hewitt, Macca and Maris back in the squad at least tomorrow.

Must admit when we had the 3 go off at Bradford I thought that was season over with the injuries we already had. The majority should be back in the next 2/3 games now though bar the 3 that are out for the rest of the season. Aslong as we don't go and lose both these next 2 we've done well

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
No I agree, it's been like that for a long time with some big hitters dropping in and bouncing back up. Like I say if it's Hudders, Blackpool and Wigan then they're just not of the same level as some who've dropped down over the years. Wigan will inevitably have a miraculous recovery from their latest nonsense and win the league again before going nearly bust - again - as that's been their path for the last decade.
Wigan will land on their feet as they always seem to do. Always seem to get pulled out of the shit by someone looking to invest almost immediatley.

Yes I remember last time in League One playing Leicester, Leeds, Southampton, Norwich etc.

7 years after playing Leicester in 2009, they won the Premier League and we were arsing about in the National League North. I think Southampton were playing Europe and in a League Cup final the very same season.

Brighton and Brenford's rise is also utterly bizzare from that moment in time. Both were just utter L1/L2 cloggers in that time. No different to us reprobates down here as we talk in 2023.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Remember Brighton knocking us out of the play offs at the Withdean - we were nailed on to win that as well. Fucking football!

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
We're currently in the middle of a run of games vs a fair few of the contenders, having beat Salford on Friday night, we go to Stevenage on Tuesday, Northampton on Saturday and host Bradford the Saturday after so may pick up a few Carlise and Stockport fans cheering us on. Luckily for them clubs were also probably on our best form this season (7 games unbeaten) which has coincided with us having a much smaller injury list.

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
Not feeling confident against Mansfield tomorrow. We have a poor record against them in recent years it feels like and we have huge injury concerns atm (as do many teams I am sure).

I would take a draw now if offered.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Not feeling confident against Mansfield tomorrow. We have a poor record against them in recent years it feels like and we have huge injury concerns atm (as do many teams I am sure).

I would take a draw now if offered.

How many you got out Jord? Keep reading most of you're usual defence is out.

Not got a clue where we stand injuries wise at the mo. Hopefully a few back in contention tomorrow but can't see us knowing anything until the teams announced tomorrow.

LordJord

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Twitter
@lordjordII
How many you got out Jord? Keep reading most of you're usual defence is out.

Not got a clue where we stand injuries wise at the mo. Hopefully a few back in contention tomorrow but can't see us knowing anything until the teams announced tomorrow.
I think currently we are likely to have around 10 missing for tomorrow's game. I think we will be the same as yourselves, a few perhaps making it back but we wont know until the team sheets are in tomorrow.

We have 3 out for the season (Koiki LB, Magloire CB and Fox CM). Also out we have Odimayo, Hylton, Harrop, McWilliams, McGowan.

Josh Eppiah and Jack Sowerby both had to come off against Hartlepool after sustaining injuries.

Kieron Bowie and Ryan Haynes have just returned last game to make their first appearance after months out respectively.

I would say from those at least 5 would likely start so we are rather stretched. We can still put out a competent team, but particularly in defence and CM we are particularly limited atm.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

I'd agree with that.

Next season is definitely looking like one of the smaller L1 seasons in our time here and has the potential to see some of the mid-table pack have a go at promotion. Looking at it as it stands, the average size of the L2 promoted sides is likely going to be greater than those being relegated from L1 so it feels like it's going to be a more even L1 next season for the first time in years.

You'd fancy some team to do better (Oxford being one, who have managed to be 3 points above the relegation zone on a Top 6 (or was it Top 4?) budget), Charlton, Portsmouth, Posh but they're not on a Ipswich and Wednesday type level.

Blackpool are a L1 type side anyway, Huddersfield are close to admin apparently and Wigan can't pay their players on time again.

Still going to be a handful of big money sides in there that stick out relative to the league, but historically it's felt like a half and half split between money and no money with the odd anomaly (Shrewsbury under Hurst, Wycombe under Ainsworth, Lincoln under Appleton as examples).

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
I'd agree with that.

Next season is definitely looking like one of the smaller L1 seasons in our time here and has the potential to see some of the mid-table pack have a go at promotion. Looking at it as it stands, the average size of the L2 promoted sides is likely going to be greater than those being relegated from L1 so it feels like it's going to be a more even L1 next season for the first time in years.

You'd fancy some team to do better (Oxford being one, who have managed to be 3 points above the relegation zone on a Top 6 (or was it Top 4?) budget), Charlton, Portsmouth, Posh but they're not on a Ipswich and Wednesday type level.

Blackpool are a L1 type side anyway, Huddersfield are close to admin apparently and Wigan can't pay their players on time again.

Still going to be a handful of big money sides in there that stick out relative to the league, but historically it's felt like a half and half split between money and no money with the odd anomaly (Shrewsbury under Hurst, Wycombe under Ainsworth, Lincoln under Appleton as examples).
Agreed - next season should see a lot of clubs fancying a run at the top 6 for sure. Could be a similar season to 15/16 which had a top 3 of Walsall, Burton and Gills for a long period. Obviously Wigan ended up winning the league because they do. Think it was Barnsley who won the play-offs that year, but Walsall deserved promotion for sure, they had a cracking side with the likes of Sawyers and Rico Henry involved. We were decent for 3/4 of it until Dack got injured and then we were hopeless.

It'll be an interesting league that's for sure, just a shame we won't be in it!

saddler78

Reaction score
Supports
walsall
Agreed - next season should see a lot of clubs fancying a run at the top 6 for sure. Could be a similar season to 15/16 which had a top 3 of Walsall, Burton and Gills for a long period. Obviously Wigan ended up winning the league because they do. Think it was Barnsley who won the play-offs that year, but Walsall deserved promotion for sure, they had a cracking side with the likes of Sawyers and Rico Henry involved. We were decent for 3/4 of it until Dack got injured and then we were hopeless.

It'll be an interesting league that's for sure, just a shame we won't be in it!
Still the last decent season we have had since then its all been downhill Sawyers Henry Bradshaw and Etheridge were all miles too good for the level to name a few.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
We're currently in the middle of a run of games vs a fair few of the contenders, having beat Salford on Friday night, we go to Stevenage on Tuesday, Northampton on Saturday and host Bradford the Saturday after so may pick up a few Carlise and Stockport fans cheering us on. Luckily for them clubs were also probably on our best form this season (7 games unbeaten) which has coincided with us having a much smaller injury list.
Yes, Crewe will be my new second favourite team if you can follow up your win over Salford with another over Stevenage.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Brighton and Brenford's rise is also utterly bizzare from that moment in time. Both were just utter L1/L2 cloggers in that time. No different to us reprobates down here as we talk in 2023.
Brentford especially, we used to play them regularly in L1 and I had no feeling that they were in any way a bigger club than us, similar sort of ground, similar attendances, similar league history. We beat them in the JPT final when they had the likes of Toumani Diagouraga playing for them. However they are well run, have invested in new facilities and are well positioned to grow their fanbase (for all that people say about the smaller London clubs having it tough with so many big names around them, they at least have the opportunity to massively increase their fanbase, which we don't).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!