2024/25 Squads - KEEP/GET RID/BURN THEM AT THE STAKE, etc

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
You know the drill...

Contracted for next season:
Jake Eastwood - GET RID - He's flappy, prefers to punch crosses and set pieces away and I've lost count of the amount of times he's tried to clear the ball and has given the opposition the ball via the means of a daisy cutter. He's done well since coming back into the team recently, so fair play to him but the fact that we got rid of Max Crocombe for him is probably one of the most damning remnants of Hurst's tenure.
Toby Mullarkey - KEEP - Big improvement since we...actually played him in his natural position. Who'd have thought it?!
Harvey Rodgers - KEEP - Again, massively improved in recently and starting to look like the CB we saw at the very start of the season.
Doug Tharme - KEEP - A couple of shaky moments aside, he's been our best CB this season by a long way and I'm expecting him to kick on and have a very good season next season.
Alex Hunt - GET RID - I really wanted it to work out for him and after his performance at MK Dons I was confident he'd kick on but he's been shipped out to York where he's apparently struggled. Starting to look very much like he's got a sporadic bit of genius in the locker and not much else. A shame as it seemed like he was gonna thrive under Artell.
Curtis Thompson - KEEP - Absolute beast of a defensive midfielder and vital to our chances of kicking on next season. He makes winning the ball into a lower league form of art and great fun to watch. Superb signing.
Evan Khouri - KEEP BUT LOAN OUT - Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't really get the hype. I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't see him kicking on and being a first teamer next season. Send him out on loan to a NL team for the first half of the season and see if he does well. 6 months at Gateshead/Scunny perhaps?
Charles Vernam - KEEP - If he's fit and firing he gets into most sides in the division. You can tell he's chomping at the bit to do well in a Town shirt. Ultimately a disappointing and injury ravaged stop starty season but hopefully next season we'll have him for the entirety of it.
Cameron Gardner - KEEP - Youngster offered a three year deal earlier in the season and currently out on loan and doing well at Grimsby Borough, rumours going around that he's Gainsborough Trinity bound next season.
Rekeil Pyke - GET RID - I don't mind him but he's never fit and we can't afford to be carrying both him and Vernam and given the choice of the two there's not even a conversation to be had.
Danny Rose - KEEP - Our undisputed player of the season, we'd probably be down if it wasn't for him. Gives 100% all the time and a proper shithouse type that we never seem to have. One of the most underrated players in the division who seemingly goes from club to club and be underappreciated.
Donovan Wilson - KEEP - another one who has had a few injury problems and has had patchy form. His scoring record at the start of the season was great and that's dipped however, his all round play has improved as the season has gone on. Almost went to Crawley in the Jan window and I'm glad he didn't.

Out of contract in the summer:
Danny Amos - GET RID - Always puts in the effort but he's not good enough for L2 unfortunately. Will find a NL club and have a decent season for them.
Anthony Glennon - KEEP - Might be another controversial opinion, but I'd keep Glennon. Great delivery and while he struggled in what was a poor defence, little has been made about the fact that the defence has improved since it was switched to a five and Glennon hasn't had the chanced to play in a five when he is perfectly suited to a LWB role so if that's something that's on the table next season then well worth another year. I'd want a more defensive steady Eddie sort of option alongside Glennon though in the squad that can play LB in a four.
Denver Hume - GET RID - Considering he's got a few seasons under his belt in the Pompey and Sunderland first teams at the level above, I've not been particularly impressed by him.
Niall Maher - GET RID - On the fence about Maher. I don't think he's a bad player at this level but considering the other CBs likely aren't going anywhere then I'd release him purely so that we have the chance of bringing in an upgrade.
Harry Clifton - GET RID - Another one I'm on the fence about purely because he is so versatile. A month or so ago I would have had him down as a KEEP but I want a fairly significant overhaul in terms of midfielders on the books and I've changed my opinion on Kieran Green and keeping Clifton and Green would mean we'd be seeing one less midfielder coming in. Will be a bold move from Artell if he shows Clifton the door.
Arthur Gnahouha - GET RID - I think Gnahouha is a good player at this level but lack of end product and his injuries don't really make offering him a contract a particularly appealing option. He's tidy and works hard though and I could see him going on elsewhere and having a good season.
Gavan Holohan - GET RID - Sadly not good enough for L2. Will be a great signing for a NL team. Could see him back at Hartlepool or going to Halifax or York perhaps.
Otis Khan - GET RID - Almost certainly won't be here having been shipped out on loan by Artell and then getting injured immediately at Hartlepool. NL bound. Shame though, I like him. Similar to Gnahouha in that he is very tidy and works hard but doesn't threaten enough.
Kieran Green - KEEP - I've spoken a few times on here and on The Fishy about us having a lot of midfielders that only check one box and until recently, Green was most definitely in that bracket in that he was just an enforcer that offered little else. Not sure what Artell has sprinkled on his Weetabix of late but his touch, his passing, his decision making and effectiveness getting forward have all improved.
Callum Ainley - KEEP - This is a bit of a tough one as we've not seen enough of him due to what has obviously been a very tough year for him (has had cancer for anyone not ITK). I've gone with KEEP purely because I want him to do well and I think he'll be fired up next season. I'm wary of what was pretty much an unanimously negative opinion of him from Crewe fans but we've not really seen that in the brief spells we've seen. He works hard and seems to really give a shit. He's also far better technically than any of our midfielders that are currently in our squad.
Abo Eisa - GET RID - Good return goals wise but he's an infuriating player to watch. Doesn't track back and doesn't affect games other than chipping in with an inordinate amount of worldies. He's got a bit of pace and can run with the ball but again, we seldom see it used well. Thankfully, I don't think he's a particularly Artell sort of player.
Aaron Braithwaite / Jamie Bramwell / Harvey Tomlinson - GET RID - I'd be amazed if any of these three youth grads are offered deals, we've barely seen any of them so I can't really comment.

Going back to parent club:
Harvey Cartwright - DEPENDS - I'd have him back as second choice but if Eastwood is still here then I want a better first option than both of them. That's not to say Cartwright hasn't done well since. He's had some superb games for us but the consistency isn't there yet and while this wasn't his fault as he was thrown into the first team, I think he was a big part of some of the shambolic defending we've seen at times. A keeper who the defenders have faith in is an absolute must.
Jamie Andrews - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - He's not a bad player but he's just sort of there...can't definitively say what puts me off him as he's okay technically, quite aggressive, can pass...but it's all just a bit meh. I don't see us winning midfield battles and playing the quick neat football Artell wants to with him in the side.
Liam Smith - TRY TO SIGN - He's been solid if unspectacular. I'd want a similar player on the left side of the defence and then a more attack minded RB to come in alongside Smith. Took his goal well on Saturday though to be fair to him.
Harry Wood - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - Not up to L2 football yet. Could do with a spell down in the NL/NLN/NLS.
Justin Obikwu - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - On the fence again here as hasn't been terrible but he's one of those ungainly lanky strikers who is a bit awkward on the ball, never looks like he's got it under control. Once he's learnt to use his body weight and height to better advantage he could be a very good striker. The effort he exerts though is great and he looks up for it all the time. I'd also say his positioning is decent for a young striker but lacks composure.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Already done it for League 1 so a copy and paste (with some added narrative)

Wrexham

In Contract: 19 players (18 outfield)

Goalkeepers-
Luke McNicholas - Keep - good back up keeper with time to develop. Has played a couple of Pizza cup games

Defenders-
Max Cleworth - KEEP - probably the best youth player we have brought through the system since we were in non-league. Championship potential and has really matured this season
Anthony Forde - GET RID - question marks on his fitness and for those who havent watched the documentary his wife has had a horrendous diagnosis that he has been dealing with concurrently, which the club were happy to give him time off for. I am not saying we will be getting rid by choice, rather he might decide to walk away.
Luke Bolton - KEEP - only just signed him
Jacob Mendy - KEEP - injuries are a niggle, but a decent pre-season hopefully sorts that
Tom O' Connor - KEEP - Mr Dependable in defence - again, some small injury niggles
Will Boyle - KEEP - struggled first half of the season and we wondered what we had signed. Has improved when not playing alongside Tozer i.e. having someone to cover his turning circle of the Titanic. will get his head on everything and has chipped in with a few goals
Ryan Barnett - KEEP - making the step up to League 1 for first time in a while, may take a while to adapt but is getting there

Midfielders-
Jordan Davies - GET RID - struggled with injury this season and hasnt had a run in the team. He maybe needs a season loan elsewhere in League 2 to get gametime
George Evans - KEEP - experience we needed in the middle of the park and experience at this level and above
Andy Cannon - KEEP - the 'Skint de Bruyne' took a while to settle in to the squad but has been sensational since January
James Jones - KEEP - His time in the gameday squads may diminish next season but is our new mr dependable, especially in the closing minutes of a game
Elliot Lee - KEEP - kept us going when Mullin was injured/not 100%. his form dropped off towards the end of the season as a result, so has earnt a well deserved break

Forwards-
Ollie Palmer - KEEP (FOR NOW) - sensational statistic in that when he has started a game for us we havent lost in over 50 games, and links well with Mullin. May become a bit part player depending on our business in the summer and i think he will move on in January as a result
Paul Mullin - KEEP - no words needed
Jack Marriott - KEEP - will probably bed into the squad better with a pre-season
Billy Waters - - GET RID - a bizarre signing in the first place. will be going in the summer
Sam Dalby - GET RID - is a good player but doesnt seem to fit our system. maybe a loan deal for a season elsewhere
Jake Bickerstaff - GET RID - allegedly well liked by our manager, will chase the ball all day long but isnt prolific in any shape or force. another loan possibly.

Out of Contract:
Scott Butler - KEEP - Youth Centre Back that we signed from Swansea. Has been out on loan consecutive seasons and is over the cut off now for U21 players so will either be signed on and included in the squad or loaned out again
Owen Cushion - KEEP - Youth Player so will likely sign on
Dan Davies - UNSURE - Youth player Left Back. Has allegedly been disciplinary issues so may or may not be re-signed.
Steve Fletcher - UNSURE - Has performed well in cameo appearances but struggles when starting games. He is a luxury player and not sure we can fit him in our squad. Bit of confusion at the moment as his club profile has quietly been updated to his cotnract ending in 2025, and therefore may not be OOC?
Liam Hall - KEEP - U21 keeper, will probably re-sign
Aaron Hayden - GET RID - A big quandry. He is a quality centre back, but has suffered terribly with injuries since signing for us. May be released.
Mark Howard - KEEP - Hardly playing but as keepers don't count towards our squad limit they will probably keep him on as a mentor - depending on who we bring in if we are unsuccessful signing Okonkwo
Aaron James - KEEP - Young defender - has played a couple of senior games so will develop further maybe out on loan
Rob Lainton - GET RID/RETIRE - while we have a 1 year option on him, he hasnt played a competitive game for us for over a year now and i think his contract in the summer was a gesture by our owners for his previous service. I feel his playing days are numbered and he may well retire.
Callum McFadzean - GET RID - dependable left back but not league level. release.
James McLean - KEEP - 1 year option on him and we need to activate it just so he can wind up the rest of you
Eoghan O'Connell - KEEP - our most consistent defender after Cleworth. Will probably take Tozers place in the starting XI
Ben Tozer - UNSURE - tough one to call. he may be a good backup player but age is creeping up on him -
Jordan Tunnicliffe - GET RID - see Hayden.
Luke Young - GET RID - has been our longest serving player for a while and has written himself into our history books. just isnt League 1 quality and will likely move on. was linked with Tranmere in January.

Arthur Okonkwo - TRY TO SIGN - hopefully we are in with a shout of signing him permanently - championship potential

Overall Verdict:
18 outfields in contract, another 2 to definitely sign on, 1 unsure and 4 to ship out means we have space to sign 5 or 6 players over 21. we are top heavy with poor strikers for League 1 level so we may sign at least 1 striker in the summer. then its just bolstering our squad to fill in and improve on squad depth/push those currently here down to quad players and improve the starting XI.

lordofthepies

A shit Martino
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Twitter
@aitchyrobinson
Out of contract

Courtney Baker-Richardson - Tough one. At his best, he's quality and a real asset. However, he is a bit injury prone and I don't think he's been fully fit all season. If we're in League One, I'd say RELEASE. If we're in League Two, I'd say KEEP unless Chris Long is also staying.

Chris Long - Very similar to CBR - He's too good for League One when he's fit but he's never fit and will be on decent money. RELEASE unless we could get him to sign a contract which is heavily based on appearance-related incentives.

Luke Offord - Obviously KEEP but he won't sign, he'll be off to a bigger club.

Rio Adebisi - Obviously KEEP but I'm not sure if he'll stay, especially if we don't go up. At least we'll be entitled to compo for him.

Conor Thomas - Really not sure. I think if we go up, we could probably do better but not sure if we could if we stay down. He's a bit injury-prone too. DUNNO.

Zac Williams - KEEP

Elliott Nevitt - KEEP

Charlie Kirk - I'd KEEP him, because he hasn't done much since coming back but the idea of Charlie Kirk with a proper pre-season behind him is an exciting one and he has shown glimpses of his quality. The management might decide that the budget is better spent elsewhere though. I'm probably being too sentimental with this one.

Zak Kempster-Down and Max Woodcock - Both have looked good in friendlies/reserve games but not had much first team action yet. KEEP both, but wouldn't be shocked if they were let go (especially Woodcock as Callum Agius, who is a second year scholar seems to be ahead of him now).

Charlie Colkett, Billy Sass-Davies - RELEASE. Both transfer listed and out on loan.

Dave Richards - nobody seems to actually know when his contract expires, but absolutely RELEASE if it's this year.

Loans

Ed Turns, Lewis Leigh, Aaron Rowe, Josh Austerfield, Harvey Davies - I'd try and get Turns and Leigh again but not sure if either is realistic.

Under contract

Ryan Cooney, Mickey Demetriou, Shilow Tracey, Tom Booth, Matus Holicek, Owen Lunt, Jack Powell, Joel Tabiner, Charlie Finney, Lewis Billington, Callum Agius. KEEP them all.

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Contracted for next season

Connor Ripley - KEEP but if there was an offer for him I’d let him talk to another club. Decent keeper but thinks he’s Manuel Neuer too much
Nathan Smith - GET RID been here a long time but increasingly a liability
Dan Jones - GET RID / Just fuck off. Stealing a wage from us with his injury record and he’s shit
Alex Iacovitti - KEEP Not the best but not the worst
Jesse Debrah - KEEP though he looked increasingly out of his depth. Give him first half of the season then look to move on if it’s still the same in this league
Ben Lomax - KEEP only just been given a pro contract from our academy
Jason Lowe - GET RID if we can. Legs have gone.
Mitch Clark - KEEP Hopefully he can avoid injury
Conor Grant - GET RID but suspect we are stuck with him
Funso Ojo - GET RID Is actually a decent footballer but a disgusting attitude since Crosby left
Ben Garrity - KEEP one of the few shining lights for us
Tom Sang - KEEP but only as a centre mid not a wingback
Ethan Chislett - KEEP but suspect a L1 club might bid for him
James Plant - KEEP but needs a settled position. Been screwed around by both Crosby and Moore.
Baylee Dipepa - KEEP but apparently Man Utd want him so he’d go if they bid for him.
Ryan Loft - LOL he’s just awful but we’re going to be stuck with him unless another club wants to do something really dumb.

Out of contract

James Wilson, Uche Ikpeazu, Gavin Massey and Jason Leutwiler none of them should have a contract offer.

Only one I’d offer to is Rhys Walters but he’s not as good as he seems to think he is.

Loanees

Dan Gore, Jensen Weir, Alex Mighten and Kacper Lopata none of them I’d pursue again

Last edited:

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
i imagine Offord might be one we will be keeping tabs on

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
Heeeeere we go then...

Under contract:

GK - Sam Slocombe - Keep - But only on the basis it's as a clear number two. Has been a good servant and is a good character around the place, but isn't good enough any more as a number one at this level.
GK - Aidan Stone - Get rid - Not sure who's going to take him, might have to take the hit on a loan to the NL or something, but we need to make room for a new number one.
GK - Tiernan Brooks - Keep - Young 'keeper, been on loan at Rochdale and not sure how he's done tbh.
CB - Kyle Cameron - Keep - Part of the defensive disaster, but is captain and I think has overall had an okay season and is very important to how we progress the ball. All things considered I'd look at strengthening the defence elsewhere.
CB - Connell Rawlinson - Get rid - Just too slow to play in a high line in this league. Would be a good signing for any NL club.
CB - Lewis Macari - Keep - Very promising, versatile defender. No brainer.
RWB - Aaron Nemane - Keep - Quietly had a great season and has an almost telepathic understanding with Crowley.
RWB - Will Randall - Keep - Put him here, but has been so injured I'm not even sure what his position is. Only a keep because I can't see who's possibly going to take him, so we might as well treat it as a completely fresh start.
LWB - Jodi Jones - Keep - Obviously, but could well be sold.
LWB - Adam Chicksen - Keep - Solid and versatile, good squad player.
CM - Matt Palmer - Keep - Praying he'll be properly fit again for the start of the season. Our most important player.
CM - Scott Robertson - Keep - Been a great signing, one of our few players who really puts himself about and works hard off the ball. Potential partnership with Palmer is exciting.
AM - Sam Austin - Keep - Can play in about six positions and do a job in all of them, very useful squad man.
AM - Dan Crowley - Keep - Baller. Had a fantastic season and our creative heartbeat.
ST - Macaulay Langstaff - Keep - Obviously, but again might be sold. Think it's more likely he stays, though.
ST - Alassana Jatta - Keep - Made a really promising start.
ST - David McGoldrick - Keep - Not stood out as much as we'd hoped, but still had a decent season. Got to manage his minutes, but there's worse options to have.
ST - Junior Morias - Get rid - Just hasn't worked out and is miles away from the team now. Got a good record at NL level and suspect he could find a southern team at that level easily.

Out of contract:

CB - Richard Brindley - Release - Been a good servant but not stood out at this level and we need to make space to rebuild the defence. Be a good pick up for anyone in the NL.
CB - Aden Baldwin - Release - Probably the hardest one, was brilliant last season and the idea of Baldwin is so enticing - he's got everything to be quality, is quick, good in the air and brilliant on the ball, but he can't stop making inexplicable individual mistakes and I'm not sure he's ever going to change.
CB - Geraldo Bajrami - New deal - Got a season-ending injury back in August so hasn't had the chance to show whether he can make the step up. Would give him a short-term deal to prove his fitness and see how it goes.
RWB - Tobi Adebayo - Release - Lovely lad, but we can't carry a club hype man in this league. Injured too much.
CM - Jim O'Brien - Release - A genuine modern Notts legend, early sub for a standing ovation on Saturday and his post-match comments suggest he might be planning to retire. Been an incredible servant but we need to look forward.
CM - John Bostock - Release - Lack of mobility has been a real issue at this level, especially since Palmer got injured. Still got real quality and can run a game if it's right for him, wouldn't be against another year if he was happy to accept a more limited role.
ST - Cedwyn Scott - New deal - Similar to Bajrami, just coming back from a season-long injury. Worth a short-term deal to give him a chance at this level.
ST - Luther Munakandafa - Release - Young forward who has done the loan rounds and doesn't seem to have stood out enough anywhere to warrant a new deal.

Loans:

GK - Luca Ashby-Hammond - Nah - Best of a bad bunch this season goalkeeping wise, but we need to be able to do better.
CB - Jaden Warner - Nah - Was asking a lot for a young kid to come in and save our defence, but hasn't looked up to it and keeps getting injured.
CM - Charlie Colkett - Nah - Crewe fans very much spot on here, weird signing who's played about ten minutes.

If that all happened it would leave us with 17, which I think is about right. Quality over quantity this summer, the basis is there but we need three or four who can come in and immediately improve the team - we all know in which positions.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Danny Rose was not under appreciated at Mansfield and is still looked back on fondly, that being said you can do better than him especially now.

クレイグ

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Under Contract

GK - Sam Walker
Keep. I have been really impressed with him since he signed. Major upgrade on Lewis.

CB - Ash Taylor
One of the worst defenders I have ever seen. Do everything to get rid.

ST - Calum Kavanagh
Keep. Looks a promising find

ST - Andy Cook
Keep. Will always have a part to play at the club.

CM - Alex Pattison
Torrid season with injuries. Probably keep.

CM/LWB - Alex Gilliead
Plays in plenty of positions these days. Not good enough in any of them. Useful as a squad player but not a starter, for me. Probably release.

AM/Winger - Clarke Oduour
Typical lower-league player. Has had good and bad games. Not consistent enough for a promotion push, bt like Gilliead he's probably useful as a squad player maybe. Maybe keep.

ST - Tyler Smith
The master of missing open nets and hitting it straight at goalkeepers from 5 yards out. No pace and one of the worst players I've seen when off the ball. Get rid.

CB - Ciaran Kelly
Decent enough at this level. Wish he could pass. Keep.

ST - Vidaine Oliver
Get rid.

CB - Timi Odusina
Three year deal and he's played for us about four times. Not league standard. Bin 'im.

CM - Kevin McDonald
Past it. Release

ST - Jake Young
Sell.

LWB - Lewis Richards
dECENT BACKUP lwb

Winger - Adam Wilson
Release

Out of Contract

RWB - Brad Halliday
Best player this season. Keep.

LB - Liam Ridehalgh
Should have retired last season. Bin.

CB - Matty Platt
Keep.

CM - Richie Smallwood
Keep but ban him from set pieces ffs.

AM/CM - Jamie Walker
Keep. One of our best players.

CB - Sam Stubbs
Release. No pace and needs new knees.

RB? - Luke Hendrie
Get rid. Not league standard.

Winger - Harry Chapman
Release. Not done anything of note here.

Winger/AM - Bobby Pointon
Definite keep. Has a decent future imo.

ST - Matt Derbyshire
LMFAO. Load him up with Worthers Originals and get him into a home.

ST - Colin Doyle
Release from playing contract and make him GK coach. Probably our best scout tbh. Half the signings seem to be his mates.

Loanees

CB/RB - Daniel Oyegoke
Bye

LWB/Winger - Tyreik Wright
Cya

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Contracted for next season

Connor Ripley - KEEP, decent keeper and after years of not getting it right wouldn't risk changing it!
Nathan Smith - KEEP, decent League Two centre half but would strip the captaincy.
Dan Jones - GET RID, decent enough at times but his injuries have been limiting to game time
Alex Iacovitti - KEEP, under contract and should be ok at L2. Cult hero at one point in the season but not been good since injury.
Jesse Debrah - KEEP out his depth in L1 but one we've signed for longer term and L2 may benefit.
Ben Lomax - KEEP youth product
Jason Lowe - GET RID struggled as the season progressed, probably ok in L2 but need to refresh it.
Mitch Clark - KEEP hopefully recovers fully from his leg break, big loss.
Conor Grant - GET RID arguably the best signing on the summer on paper, on grass though its been awful.
Funso Ojo - KEEP MAYBE - Would be a stand out midfielder in L2, depends if he wants to be here though, 2 more years on his deal so would command a decent fee.
Ben Garrity - KEEP one who can hold his head up high, may lose him, would be gutted but need to do all we can to keep and make him Captain.
Tom Sang - GET RID - Woeful.
Ethan Chislett - KEEP - Talented, goalscorer but think another we will have to fed off L1 clubs.
James Plant - KEEP but play out wide forward, has potential to be a big player for us.
Baylee Dipepa - KEEP - Man United keen, if we can sell but a season loan back maybe an ideal?
Ryan Loft - GET RID - Just not worked out.

Out of contract

James Wilson - KEEP - if we can get a similar deal to the last one, we know hes good in L2 and seemed to cope better with injuries this year.

Uche Ikpeazu - KEEP - I like big Uche, caused absolute chaos but think he will go, will get my tin hat on though for other Vale fans reaction to this one!

Gavin Massey - GET RID - Not really worked out over the 2 years, some good performances sporadically, awful others.

Jason Leutwiler - KEEP - Not done anything wrong and as a number 2 only plays in the BSM.

Rhys Walters - KEEP - Looked a massive talent in the cup games, struggled at L1 level when given a chance largely but with the cup games being against Burton and L2 opposition would have a chance to really grow.

Jack Shorrock - KEEP - Youth product who is highly rated, excellent on his first league start but only 16, have a feeling big clubs will come snuffing though.

Loanees

Dan Gore, Jensen Weir, Alex Mighten and Kacper Lopata will all return to their clubs.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Danny Rose was not under appreciated at Mansfield and is still looked back on fondly, that being said you can do better than him especially now.
You can obviously do better if you're like Wrexham, Stockport, yourselves, MK Dons etc. and can offer wages to entice L1/Championship players to drop down a level but that's not realistic for most clubs. An Akins brace on the final day aside and Danny Rose has outscored all your strikers this season in a team that only secured safety on matchday 45. Like I said, one of the most underrated players in the division and I'm sticking with that and would argue that you're unintentionally backing me up.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
You can obviously do better if you're like Wrexham, Stockport, yourselves, MK Dons etc. and can offer wages to entice L1/Championship players to drop down a level but that's not realistic for most clubs. An Akins brace on the final day aside and Danny Rose has outscored all your strikers this season in a team that only secured safety on matchday 45. Like I said, one of the most underrated players in the division and I'm sticking with that and would argue that you're unintentionally backing me up.

I like Danny Rose, in fact Nichols is very similar in appearance and play although technically better I would argue. It’s a strength how distributed our goal scorers are (DKD aside) Swan would also be on about 20 if he played in the first half too. Like I say he’s looked back on fondly here, I remember him absolutely rinsing Notts County when we battered them 5-0. Good in the air, and good at diving getting free kicks too :lol:

I just don’t agree with one of the most underrated players in the division, think he is quite well regarded as a decent L2 striker.

Grimsby Road

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Pretty sure Ainley will get a contract after his cancer recovery seeing as we try and look after players these days . He has worked with Artell before aswell . Will be a high turnover of players for sure though with a couple of foreign signings thrown in i expect .

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Out of contract

James Wilson - KEEP - if we can get a similar deal to the last one, we know hes good in L2 and seemed to cope better with injuries this year.

Uche Ikpeazu - KEEP - I like big Uche, caused absolute chaos but think he will go, will get my tin hat on though for other Vale fans reaction to this one!

There’s some myth about Uche and this it. No he doesn’t cause chaos for opposition players. His control of the ball is pathetic, his shooting to put it kindly wayward, for someone of his size he’s borderline useless in the air and his conditioning is a disgrace for a professional footballer. Thing he’s done most this season is go to ground looking at the ref when it blatantly wasn’t a foul. Other than that he’s great.

Wilson just doesn’t have it any more and I’m not totally convinced he will want to carry on in any case.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I like Danny Rose, in fact Nichols is very similar in appearance and play although technically better I would argue. It’s a strength how distributed our goal scorers are (DKD aside) Swan would also be on about 20 if he played in the first half too. Like I say he’s looked back on fondly here, I remember him absolutely rinsing Notts County when we battered them 5-0. Good in the air, and good at diving getting free kicks too :lol:

I just don’t agree with one of the most underrated players in the division, think he is quite well regarded as a decent L2 striker.
Fair enough. I've definitely heard less favourable opinions of him from other Stags fans over the course of the season and those coupled with the opinions of Northampton and Stevenage fans and the fact that I also didn't really massively rate him prior to him playing for us have have definitely contributed to me pushing this underrated narrative.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Vale Fans, i remember Andrew Buah played against us in the Pizza cup and really impressed, has he not played much? on neither list that was posted above

JJ1990

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Out of contract

Courtney Baker-Richardson - Tough one. At his best, he's quality and a real asset. However, he is a bit injury prone and I don't think he's been fully fit all season. If we're in League One, I'd say RELEASE. If we're in League Two, I'd say KEEP unless Chris Long is also staying.

Chris Long - Very similar to CBR - He's too good for League One when he's fit but he's never fit and will be on decent money. RELEASE unless we could get him to sign a contract which is heavily based on appearance-related incentives.

Luke Offord - Obviously KEEP but he won't sign, he'll be off to a bigger club.

Rio Adebisi - Obviously KEEP but I'm not sure if he'll stay, especially if we don't go up. At least we'll be entitled to compo for him.

Conor Thomas - Really not sure. I think if we go up, we could probably do better but not sure if we could if we stay down. He's a bit injury-prone too. DUNNO.

Zac Williams - KEEP

Elliott Nevitt - KEEP

Charlie Kirk - I'd KEEP him, because he hasn't done much since coming back but the idea of Charlie Kirk with a proper pre-season behind him is an exciting one and he has shown glimpses of his quality. The management might decide that the budget is better spent elsewhere though. I'm probably being too sentimental with this one.

Zak Kempster-Down and Max Woodcock - Both have looked good in friendlies/reserve games but not had much first team action yet. KEEP both, but wouldn't be shocked if they were let go (especially Woodcock as Callum Agius, who is a second year scholar seems to be ahead of him now).

Charlie Colkett, Billy Sass-Davies - RELEASE. Both transfer listed and out on loan.

Dave Richards - nobody seems to actually know when his contract expires, but absolutely RELEASE if it's this year.

Loans

Ed Turns, Lewis Leigh, Aaron Rowe, Josh Austerfield, Harvey Davies - I'd try and get Turns and Leigh again but not sure if either is realistic.

Under contract

Ryan Cooney, Mickey Demetriou, Shilow Tracey, Tom Booth, Matus Holicek, Owen Lunt, Jack Powell, Joel Tabiner, Charlie Finney, Lewis Billington, Callum Agius. KEEP them all.
Largely agree with this.

If they know Nevitt isn't staying, then I'd sign up CBR again. Need some continuity upfront and he's good for close to 10 goals a season. Those players don't grow on trees.

Long is an easy release for me. Doesn't fit the system, he's selfish, whines at his team mates and can't play more than 25-30 times a season at best. Get rid, find someone else that's less hassle. Thomas is another easy release, unless he takes a 1 year deal on a much reduced salary.

Kirk like you I think could be an asset with a full pre-season, but at this point, I'd fine with either outcome.

For the loanees, I wouldn't take any of them. I like Leigh, but I'm not sure what he adds that we don't already have plenty of. As for Turns, I'd hope we have the budget to sign a permanent replacement and he won't be that. So move on.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale Fans, i remember Andrew Buah played against us in the Pizza cup and really impressed, has he not played much? on neither list that was posted above

He’s still in our academy set up (which was the case for a number of the players who played that night) just don’t know when his time in that is due up. I’d imagine he might be someone we potentially loan out to a Nantwich Town or Stafford Rangers next season for some experience.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
You know the drill...

Contracted for next season:
Jake Eastwood - GET RID - He's flappy, prefers to punch crosses and set pieces away and I've lost count of the amount of times he's tried to clear the ball and has given the opposition the ball via the means of a daisy cutter. He's done well since coming back into the team recently, so fair play to him but the fact that we got rid of Max Crocombe for him is probably one of the most damning remnants of Hurst's tenure.
Toby Mullarkey - KEEP - Big improvement since we...actually played him in his natural position. Who'd have thought it?!
Harvey Rodgers - KEEP - Again, massively improved in recently and starting to look like the CB we saw at the very start of the season.
Doug Tharme - KEEP - A couple of shaky moments aside, he's been our best CB this season by a long way and I'm expecting him to kick on and have a very good season next season.
Alex Hunt - GET RID - I really wanted it to work out for him and after his performance at MK Dons I was confident he'd kick on but he's been shipped out to York where he's apparently struggled. Starting to look very much like he's got a sporadic bit of genius in the locker and not much else. A shame as it seemed like he was gonna thrive under Artell.
Curtis Thompson - KEEP - Absolute beast of a defensive midfielder and vital to our chances of kicking on next season. He makes winning the ball into a lower league form of art and great fun to watch. Superb signing.
Evan Khouri - KEEP BUT LOAN OUT - Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't really get the hype. I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't see him kicking on and being a first teamer next season. Send him out on loan to a NL team for the first half of the season and see if he does well. 6 months at Gateshead/Scunny perhaps?
Charles Vernam - KEEP - If he's fit and firing he gets into most sides in the division. You can tell he's chomping at the bit to do well in a Town shirt. Ultimately a disappointing and injury ravaged stop starty season but hopefully next season we'll have him for the entirety of it.
Cameron Gardner - KEEP - Youngster offered a three year deal earlier in the season and currently out on loan and doing well at Grimsby Borough, rumours going around that he's Gainsborough Trinity bound next season.
Rekeil Pyke - GET RID - I don't mind him but he's never fit and we can't afford to be carrying both him and Vernam and given the choice of the two there's not even a conversation to be had.
Danny Rose - KEEP - Our undisputed player of the season, we'd probably be down if it wasn't for him. Gives 100% all the time and a proper shithouse type that we never seem to have. One of the most underrated players in the division who seemingly goes from club to club and be underappreciated.
Donovan Wilson - KEEP - another one who has had a few injury problems and has had patchy form. His scoring record at the start of the season was great and that's dipped however, his all round play has improved as the season has gone on. Almost went to Crawley in the Jan window and I'm glad he didn't.

Out of contract in the summer:
Danny Amos - GET RID - Always puts in the effort but he's not good enough for L2 unfortunately. Will find a NL club and have a decent season for them.
Anthony Glennon - KEEP - Might be another controversial opinion, but I'd keep Glennon. Great delivery and while he struggled in what was a poor defence, little has been made about the fact that the defence has improved since it was switched to a five and Glennon hasn't had the chanced to play in a five when he is perfectly suited to a LWB role so if that's something that's on the table next season then well worth another year. I'd want a more defensive steady Eddie sort of option alongside Glennon though in the squad that can play LB in a four.
Denver Hume - GET RID - Considering he's got a few seasons under his belt in the Pompey and Sunderland first teams at the level above, I've not been particularly impressed by him.
Niall Maher - GET RID - On the fence about Maher. I don't think he's a bad player at this level but considering the other CBs likely aren't going anywhere then I'd release him purely so that we have the chance of bringing in an upgrade.
Harry Clifton - GET RID - Another one I'm on the fence about purely because he is so versatile. A month or so ago I would have had him down as a KEEP but I want a fairly significant overhaul in terms of midfielders on the books and I've changed my opinion on Kieran Green and keeping Clifton and Green would mean we'd be seeing one less midfielder coming in. Will be a bold move from Artell if he shows Clifton the door.
Arthur Gnahouha - GET RID - I think Gnahouha is a good player at this level but lack of end product and his injuries don't really make offering him a contract a particularly appealing option. He's tidy and works hard though and I could see him going on elsewhere and having a good season.
Gavan Holohan - GET RID - Sadly not good enough for L2. Will be a great signing for a NL team. Could see him back at Hartlepool or going to Halifax or York perhaps.
Otis Khan - GET RID - Almost certainly won't be here having been shipped out on loan by Artell and then getting injured immediately at Hartlepool. NL bound. Shame though, I like him. Similar to Gnahouha in that he is very tidy and works hard but doesn't threaten enough.
Kieran Green - KEEP - I've spoken a few times on here and on The Fishy about us having a lot of midfielders that only check one box and until recently, Green was most definitely in that bracket in that he was just an enforcer that offered little else. Not sure what Artell has sprinkled on his Weetabix of late but his touch, his passing, his decision making and effectiveness getting forward have all improved.
Callum Ainley - KEEP - This is a bit of a tough one as we've not seen enough of him due to what has obviously been a very tough year for him (has had cancer for anyone not ITK). I've gone with KEEP purely because I want him to do well and I think he'll be fired up next season. I'm wary of what was pretty much an unanimously negative opinion of him from Crewe fans but we've not really seen that in the brief spells we've seen. He works hard and seems to really give a shit. He's also far better technically than any of our midfielders that are currently in our squad.
Abo Eisa - GET RID - Good return goals wise but he's an infuriating player to watch. Doesn't track back and doesn't affect games other than chipping in with an inordinate amount of worldies. He's got a bit of pace and can run with the ball but again, we seldom see it used well. Thankfully, I don't think he's a particularly Artell sort of player.
Aaron Braithwaite / Jamie Bramwell / Harvey Tomlinson - GET RID - I'd be amazed if any of these three youth grads are offered deals, we've barely seen any of them so I can't really comment.

Harvey Cartwright - DEPENDS - I'd have him back as second choice but if Eastwood is still here then I want a better first option than both of them. That's not to say Cartwright hasn't done well since. He's had some superb games for us but the consistency isn't there yet and while this wasn't his fault as he was thrown into the first team, I think he was a big part of some of the shambolic defending we've seen at times. A keeper who the defenders have faith in is an absolute must.
Jamie Andrews - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - He's not a bad player but he's just sort of there...can't definitively say what puts me off him as he's okay technically, quite aggressive, can pass...but it's all just a bit meh. I don't see us winning midfield battles and playing the quick neat football Artell wants to with him in the side.
Liam Smith - TRY TO SIGN - He's been solid if unspectacular. I'd want a similar player on the left side of the defence and then a more attack minded RB to come in alongside Smith. Took his goal well on Saturday though to be fair to him.
Harry Wood - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - Not up to L2 football yet. Could do with a spell down in the NL/NLN/NLS.
Justin Obikwu - DON'T TRY TO SIGN - On the fence again here as hasn't been terrible but he's one of those ungainly lanky strikers who is a bit awkward on the ball, never looks like he's got it under control. Once he's learnt to use his body weight and height to better advantage he could be a very good striker. The effort he exerts though is great and he looks up for it all the time. I'd also say his positioning is decent for a young striker but lacks composure.

Only seen us once this season so can't really comment on our players other than the more we get rid of the better after this season. But your keep/get rid seems to be similar to what I've been reading apart from Eastwood.

If it's a choice between Green and Clifton I'd be keeping Clifton. I'd also get rid of Khouri we don't have the luxury to keep players in the hope they improve in the future no matter how little he is on.

It's obvious our midfield is poor so the more changes the better, however Clifton will run forever and can play loads of positions so is an ideal squad player. The keeping Green from people seems to be purely on recent performances which I'd argue is not a great argument for keeping someone after this season especially if they are out of contract. So on that basis if it's a choice between Clifton and Green I'd take Clifton.

Essex2Wessex

Reaction score
Supports
FGR
Frankly with a handful of exceptions from our ludicrously oversized overpaid undercapable and undermotivated squad, this song expresses the preferred option from those listed well.

A complete rebuild is what we need. Oddly just like last time we were down in the Lower Depths I suspect Christian Doidge might well be at the centre of it.

I'm also not sure how many of our less shit players (McAllister, probably Garrick, Moore-Taylor, Osadebe) would willingly swim the Styx with us.

Matty Stevens maybe (Matty Stevens woah), though injuries seem to have got the best of him unfortunately. Probably Dom Bernard too, who might be more useful at NL level. Perhaps Osadebe also, I don't know.

As far as most of the others are concerned I think I'd be minded to let Super Stevie Cotterill start afresh and hope we get something like a pretty penny for Charlie McCann (who is still a work in progress but obviously has greater talent than the clumsiness we've seen too much of) and Fankaty Dabo (who really couldn't work with a team as devoid of creativity as we have been, to be kind to him). (Edit: no, Dabo's contract is up)

Jamie Robson is a maybe too.

Then thinking of all the players on our books we've barely seen on the pitch.....get them off the books. Maybe burn the books as a form of exorcism while we sing the chant that includes the line "Rob Edwards is a wanker" for the final time.

New start on the hill, please.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
There’s some myth about Uche and this it. No he doesn’t cause chaos for opposition players. His control of the ball is pathetic, his shooting to put it kindly wayward, for someone of his size he’s borderline useless in the air and his conditioning is a disgrace for a professional footballer. Thing he’s done most this season is go to ground looking at the ref when it blatantly wasn’t a foul. Other than that he’s great.

Wilson just doesn’t have it any more and I’m not totally convinced he will want to carry on in any case.

He himself is like that but look at the spells when we've scored goals... always when hes fit as he causes enough chaos which gives Willo, Chis etc the space.

December he was on it and we scored a hatful.

Willo its down to money for me, if cheap he is worth keeping at this level.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Buah came on but i think your mixing up with Rhys Walters who ran the show first half, played a superb through ball for our goal and your fans were raving about him.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Rose must have scored half his career goals against us - his record against Notts is ridiculous.

WilsdenBantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
So does this mean we were right about Eisa Grimsby fans, after all the stick about how amazing he was at the start of the season?:) The guy isn’t good enough for league football, showing a bit of something now and again is what Sunday league players do now and again.Forest Green fans will soon learn it about that other fraud they mock us for as well.

As for Danny Rose, always rated him highly especially in league 1 at Northampton. Even when we were fighting for a place in the championship I wanted us to bring him in, he was only a young lad then though. He’s up there with the diving greats of our generation though such as Daley, Paul Mullin and Alfie May.

Reaction score
Supports
Notts
Heeeeere we go then...

Under contract:

GK - Sam Slocombe - Keep - But only on the basis it's as a clear number two. Has been a good servant and is a good character around the place, but isn't good enough any more as a number one at this level.
GK - Aidan Stone - Get rid - Not sure who's going to take him, might have to take the hit on a loan to the NL or something, but we need to make room for a new number one.
GK - Tiernan Brooks - Keep - Young 'keeper, been on loan at Rochdale and not sure how he's done tbh.
CB - Kyle Cameron - Keep - Part of the defensive disaster, but is captain and I think has overall had an okay season and is very important to how we progress the ball. All things considered I'd look at strengthening the defence elsewhere.
CB - Connell Rawlinson - Get rid - Just too slow to play in a high line in this league. Would be a good signing for any NL club.
CB - Lewis Macari - Keep - Very promising, versatile defender. No brainer.
RWB - Aaron Nemane - Keep - Quietly had a great season and has an almost telepathic understanding with Crowley.
RWB - Will Randall - Keep - Put him here, but has been so injured I'm not even sure what his position is. Only a keep because I can't see who's possibly going to take him, so we might as well treat it as a completely fresh start.
LWB - Jodi Jones - Keep - Obviously, but could well be sold.
LWB - Adam Chicksen - Keep - Solid and versatile, good squad player.
CM - Matt Palmer - Keep - Praying he'll be properly fit again for the start of the season. Our most important player.
CM - Scott Robertson - Keep - Been a great signing, one of our few players who really puts himself about and works hard off the ball. Potential partnership with Palmer is exciting.
AM - Sam Austin - Keep - Can play in about six positions and do a job in all of them, very useful squad man.
AM - Dan Crowley - Keep - Baller. Had a fantastic season and our creative heartbeat.
ST - Macaulay Langstaff - Keep - Obviously, but again might be sold. Think it's more likely he stays, though.
ST - Alassana Jatta - Keep - Made a really promising start.
ST - David McGoldrick - Keep - Not stood out as much as we'd hoped, but still had a decent season. Got to manage his minutes, but there's worse options to have.
ST - Junior Morias - Get rid - Just hasn't worked out and is miles away from the team now. Got a good record at NL level and suspect he could find a southern team at that level easily.

Out of contract:

CB - Richard Brindley - Release - Been a good servant but not stood out at this level and we need to make space to rebuild the defence. Be a good pick up for anyone in the NL.
CB - Aden Baldwin - Release - Probably the hardest one, was brilliant last season and the idea of Baldwin is so enticing - he's got everything to be quality, is quick, good in the air and brilliant on the ball, but he can't stop making inexplicable individual mistakes and I'm not sure he's ever going to change.
CB - Geraldo Bajrami - New deal - Got a season-ending injury back in August so hasn't had the chance to show whether he can make the step up. Would give him a short-term deal to prove his fitness and see how it goes.
RWB - Tobi Adebayo - Release - Lovely lad, but we can't carry a club hype man in this league. Injured too much.
CM - Jim O'Brien - Release - A genuine modern Notts legend, early sub for a standing ovation on Saturday and his post-match comments suggest he might be planning to retire. Been an incredible servant but we need to look forward.
CM - John Bostock - Release - Lack of mobility has been a real issue at this level, especially since Palmer got injured. Still got real quality and can run a game if it's right for him, wouldn't be against another year if he was happy to accept a more limited role.
ST - Cedwyn Scott - New deal - Similar to Bajrami, just coming back from a season-long injury. Worth a short-term deal to give him a chance at this level.
ST - Luther Munakandafa - Release - Young forward who has done the loan rounds and doesn't seem to have stood out enough anywhere to warrant a new deal.

Loans:

GK - Luca Ashby-Hammond - Nah - Best of a bad bunch this season goalkeeping wise, but we need to be able to do better.
CB - Jaden Warner - Nah - Was asking a lot for a young kid to come in and save our defence, but hasn't looked up to it and keeps getting injured.
CM - Charlie Colkett - Nah - Crewe fans very much spot on here, weird signing who's played about ten minutes.

If that all happened it would leave us with 17, which I think is about right. Quality over quantity this summer, the basis is there but we need three or four who can come in and immediately improve the team - we all know in which positions.
Agree with this broadly, I would be open to keeping Baldwin on a reduced role - it seems like it'll be hard to find someone to be play 10 games a season who will fit the system well, but he'd have to be up for that and given his issue seems to be concentration I don't think only playing occasionally will help that. It feels harsh with Bajrami but I don't think he's good enough, would be very much an emergency option. In fairness I'd be surprised with Scott but I think he's a better player overall. With the keepers I think Brooks has to be #1 here or goes out on loan, but I'm not fussed about which of the others we keep.

Leaves us with likely needing a keeper, 3 centre backs, 2 deeper midfielders, and replacements for those who move on. I have a feeling that McGoldrick retiring is more likely than most think, but I'd still be more surprised if he did than he didn't.

TheDon

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Keep Glatzal and McGregor and flog the rest to anyone who will have them.

iesty wfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Buah came on but i think your mixing up with Rhys Walters who ran the show first half, played a superb through ball for our goal and your fans were raving about him.

we will have them both then :)

The_Viking_Magpie

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County FC
Next season McGoldrick would be very very useful playing reduced minutes and matches , like JOB this season.

Baldwin I've been a fan of but it's 6 individual mistakes too many for me now. Will only improve and reduce if we change approach.

Baj was 50:50 for me in the NL so I'd let go, as harsh as that seems. If he stays it's not as a CB but DMC and on short deal.

Scott has improved in fans eyes as usual by not playing but he was really good at NL level and could be big part next season if fitness and agility is back.

Chicksen is a great addition if playing full backs can't stand him as a wing back. But keep.

Goalkeeper is where we need old tried and tested quality. L1 level at L2 is required especially with our entertaining approach to games.

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county
I tend to agree with Baj probably not being good enough, but he understands the system and can play across defence and midfield. Having missed an entire season, a deal until January as an option on the bench at which point he's either proven his worth to us or fitness to get a permanent move back to the NL would make sense for all parties. Scott I would give a year, he's bulked up a lot and looks fit, but I think we're just not going to know until he's had a full pre-season.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
we will have them both then :)
He was superb in the cup ties against L2 sides and at Burton but struggled to adapt to the league at present. That said rumour is he is off to Stoke.

chipmunx

Reaction score
Supports
Barrow AFC
while we've still got a theoretical chance of the play off's and promotion :fl: i'll wait to do ours, other than saying release Courtney Duffus and offer Procter and Worrall to Port Vale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!