26th Jan Match Thread

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Very entertaining to see you lot hail Lambert as the second coming and then this to happen, you’re right

I don't personally recall myself taking that stance.

Either way, our problems are deep routed and above the managers level.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Crewe absolutely bartered us at their place (even though we stole a win) and I thought they were very good. What happened tonight? You guys were awful but still kept trying to play it out from the back.

Dale4ever

Reaction score
Supports
Rochdale
I wish we could defend. We’ve certainly mastered this scoring lark. 3-3 and still 15 mins left.

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Crewe absolutely bartered us at their place (even though we stole a win) and I thought they were very good. What happened tonight? You guys were awful but still kept trying to play it out from the back.
Read my comments.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Laughably shambolic. Players are completely disinterested being managed by Sheridan - he has no redeeming features at all.

If he isn’t sacked I’m convinced the club are trying to get relegated.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Away wins are like buses. You wait months for one and then another comes straight away!

If that is standard fare for Swindon, I fear for you. I think we were competent and no more, after we scored the first Swindon did not look really up for it.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
I wish we could defend. We’ve certainly mastered this scoring lark. 3-3 and still 15 mins left.
Make that 4-3!

That was a ridiculously entertaining game. Rochdale just throw men forward with reckless abandon! Most of the game when attacking they only had one man back. It’s just about as gung-ho as football can be played.

I thought we’d screwed ourselves with our subs but a mad last two minutes, Rochdale almost scoring from their own half and then Mide Shodipo capitalist on a goalkeeping error and himself scoring from 50 (odd) yards. Madness.

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
We got there in the end at Pompey. We looked good when they had 11 men, but after they had a man (harshly IMHO) sent off after 30 mins they basically stopped attacking, and we just couldn't score. We had a few chances, but we score most of our goals in the last quarter so we just kept plugging away until one eventually went in. Then it was backs to the wall defending for the last ten minutes - we just about kept a clean sheet via goal line clearances, tactical fouls and so on. I'm glad we didn't score earlier coz I couldn't have taken much more of it.

The sending off massively changed the game - but I thought we were the better side before it.

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Pompey 0 - 1 Imps

Great and for me unexpected victory. Started the game really well, lots of pace, athleticism and energy which we've been without the past couple of games and had a couple of chances. Game changed with the red card - I can see why it was a red as he went in hard and from a distance however I thought it was harsh. Following that it was all us until we scored - hit the bar, keeper made a couple of important saves but it looked to be one of those days. Rogers won it with his first professional goal. We then went a bit sloppy which saw Pompey have a few dangerous set pieces with a header having to be cleared off the line.

Sounds weird but we're not a team set up to have most of the ball as our game is built on quick counter attacks. We played really well for 80 mins of the match and sets us up for a cracker at home against Donny. Good god the atmosphere would have been huge.

Just to add - what's with Guy Whittingham on co-commentary - spent the entire 90 mins wanting Pompey to dive and cheat their way through, really weird from a co-commentator.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Accrington look a very good shout for the playoffs.

The amount of games they have in hand you can’t count them out the race for automatics.

Reactions: SF_

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Absolutely embarrassing performance. Fullbacks thrown in the deep end and are sinking rather than swimming. Porter is absolutely cooked now, to think some of our fans still want us to keep him next season. The bloke is finished at this level and I don't care about his consolation tonight. We must sign a striker by the deadline or we will plummet down the league if Mandron gets injured. Off days for Beckles, Lowery and Kirk whilst Wintle put in yet another abject display. Think it's time Wintle was dropped for a few games, his head is clearly all over the place of late.

Antony Evans looked good when he came on and at least tried to make things happen. Needs to work on his match sharpness but that was the only encouraging aspect of our performance tonight.

Very angry with that display. We should've played BSD and tried a new system out to counter our problems. A failure to change tactics just makes us look one dimensional. If you look one dimensional, teams will suss you out and stop you from playing. Played right into Gillingham's hands and they thoroughly deserved their win.

No excuses for Saturday. We play a badly out of form Ipswich side and we need to be in their faces from minute one. Start Porter up top and we may as well concede defeat.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Absolutely bossed the first half 5-0 wouldn’t have flattered us, second half Wimbledon were better organised and we were sloppy, they could and probably should have scored in the first 20 mins, we came back into it after that and forced some good saves out of the keeper. Well deserved 3 points and off the Lincoln Saturday

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Writing was on the wall as soon as I saw the team sheet. Can’t expect to go away from home in tough conditions and expect a team with rookies and players past there best, and expect to play free flowing football. It was never going to happen, especially vs a Steve Evans team.
Changes needed for Saturday. The only positive from the game was Evans cameo, he looks a good player.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We got there in the end at Pompey. We looked good when they had 11 men, but after they had a man (harshly IMHO) sent off after 30 mins they basically stopped attacking, and we just couldn't score. We had a few chances, but we score most of our goals in the last quarter so we just kept plugging away until one eventually went in. Then it was backs to the wall defending for the last ten minutes - we just about kept a clean sheet via goal line clearances, tactical fouls and so on. I'm glad we didn't score earlier coz I couldn't have taken much more of it.

The sending off massively changed the game - but I thought we were the better side before it.
Pompey 0 - 1 Imps

Great and for me unexpected victory. Started the game really well, lots of pace, athleticism and energy which we've been without the past couple of games and had a couple of chances. Game changed with the red card - I can see why it was a red as he went in hard and from a distance however I thought it was harsh. Following that it was all us until we scored - hit the bar, keeper made a couple of important saves but it looked to be one of those days. Rogers won it with his first professional goal. We then went a bit sloppy which saw Pompey have a few dangerous set pieces with a header having to be cleared off the line.

Sounds weird but we're not a team set up to have most of the ball as our game is built on quick counter attacks. We played really well for 80 mins of the match and sets us up for a cracker at home against Donny. Good god the atmosphere would have been huge.

Just to add - what's with Guy Whittingham on co-commentary - spent the entire 90 mins wanting Pompey to dive and cheat their way through, really weird from a co-commentator.
I thought it was a red tbh. I'm not a fan of still shots but the lads well off the ground as he goes into the tackle.

Nice to see us being positive from the off. We've been a little too standoff-ish in some games this season. Portsmouth 1 shot on target?

dannyc5

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Absolutely embarrassing performance. Fullbacks thrown in the deep end and are sinking rather than swimming. Porter is absolutely cooked now, to think some of our fans still want us to keep him next season. The bloke is finished at this level and I don't care about his consolation tonight. We must sign a striker by the deadline or we will plummet down the league if Mandron gets injured. Off days for Beckles, Lowery and Kirk whilst Wintle put in yet another abject display. Think it's time Wintle was dropped for a few games, his head is clearly all over the place of late.

Antony Evans looked good when he came on and at least tried to make things happen. Needs to work on his match sharpness but that was the only encouraging aspect of our performance tonight.

Very angry with that display. We should've played BSD and tried a new system out to counter our problems. A failure to change tactics just makes us look one dimensional. If you look one dimensional, teams will suss you out and stop you from playing. Played right into Gillingham's hands and they thoroughly deserved their win.

No excuses for Saturday. We play a badly out of form Ipswich side and we need to be in their faces from minute one. Start Porter up top and we may as well concede defeat.
Can you imagine what Steve Evans thought when he saw our 11? He must have thought Christmas was slightly delayed. Talk about a gift wrapped 3 points. Sometimes, as you say, a change in formation is needed. No shame in that, we have a few injuries so it’s to be expected at times.

As soon as I saw that 11 I wished I hadn’t had bought a match pass. I called a thrashing 45 mins before kick off. It wasn’t hard to see. An abject performance to say the least from our management team tonight.

I’m now gonna have my usual whinge. Oli Finney simply cannot play in a midfield 3. When the going gets tough, we have no control, and no way of gaining control. You can’t possibly ask Wintle and Lowery to essentially run the midfield themselves. If you want to play Finney long term, he cannot IMO be in a midfield 3. That’s not a criticism of him, that’s just who he is as a footballer. Besides, we shouldn’t have to rely on him for goals. Our front 3 should provide that.

I would like this team on Saturday:

Any goalkeeper, don’t care
Jones Beckles Lancashire Pickering
Lowery Murphy Evans
Walker Mandron Kirk

Had enough of Wintle. Looked overweight and uninterested since Christmas. Like the look of my team, but it almost certainly will be nothing like the team Saturday. We’ll see.

PS. Not been a fan of Artell last few weeks. Think we have missed a trick. Should be well in the play offs now.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Away wins are like buses. You wait months for one and then another comes straight away!

If that is standard fare for Swindon, I fear for you. I think we were competent and no more, after we scored the first Swindon did not look really up for it.
Standard fare, indeed. It’s obvious the players don’t want to play for Sheridan. We have a player who is way below a professional standard who gets game time because his dad has invested some money in the club, pays his own son’s wages in return for having a semblance of being a ‘footballer’.

It fucking stinks. That’s 11 midweek games this season - we’ve lost 10. Christ knows how we aren’t cut adrift at the bottom. Embarrassingly, we actually went up a place tonight what with Wigan shipping 5.

The sooner the ownership gets sorted, Sheridan gets the boot and we get even a half competent manager in the better.

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Can you imagine what Steve Evans thought when he saw our 11? He must have thought Christmas was slightly delayed. Talk about a gift wrapped 3 points. Sometimes, as you say, a change in formation is needed. No shame in that, we have a few injuries so it’s to be expected at times.

As soon as I saw that 11 I wished I hadn’t had bought a match pass. I called a thrashing 45 mins before kick off. It wasn’t hard to see. An abject performance to say the least from our management team tonight.

I’m now gonna have my usual whinge. Oli Finney simply cannot play in a midfield 3. When the going gets tough, we have no control, and no way of gaining control. You can’t possibly ask Wintle and Lowery to essentially run the midfield themselves. If you want to play Finney long term, he cannot IMO be in a midfield 3. That’s not a criticism of him, that’s just who he is as a footballer. Besides, we shouldn’t have to rely on him for goals. Our front 3 should provide that.

I would like this team on Saturday:

Any goalkeeper, don’t care
Jones Beckles Lancashire Pickering
Lowery Murphy Evans
Walker Mandron Kirk

Had enough of Wintle. Looked overweight and uninterested since Christmas. Like the look of my team, but it almost certainly will be nothing like the team Saturday. We’ll see.

PS. Not been a fan of Artell last few weeks. Think we have missed a trick. Should be well in the play offs now.
Just watched the highlights. Your 29 gifted them 2 goals!

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
The amount of games they have in hand you can’t count them out the race for automatics.
Is it still the case that you can't get in League Two without an adequate stadium?

I'd suggest similar for Accrington and the Championship, it's fucking wank, that side stand is about 4 seats deep.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Standard fare, indeed. It’s obvious the players don’t want to play for Sheridan. We have a player who is way below a professional standard who gets game time because his dad has invested some money in the club, pays his own son’s wages in return for having a semblance of being a ‘footballer’.

It fucking stinks. That’s 11 midweek games this season - we’ve lost 10. Christ knows how we aren’t cut adrift at the bottom. Embarrassingly, we actually went up a place tonight what with Wigan shipping 5.

The sooner the ownership gets sorted, Sheridan gets the boot and we get even a half competent manager in the better.
I have just spent half an hour reading your fans forum and was going to ask you about a name that kept coming up with a suggestion of something fishy. But you have answered it already. I note that the player you refer to came on as a sub, and did not do a great job in defence. That must create such a toxic situation, especially when you probably have too big a squad anyway. I do not think we were particularly good, a top team would have slaughtered you. I just think it is so rare to see a team where so many players clearly do not want to be there.

Marked Ox

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Make that 4-3!

That was a ridiculously entertaining game. Rochdale just throw men forward with reckless abandon! Most of the game when attacking they only had one man back. It’s just about as gung-ho as football can be played.

I thought we’d screwed ourselves with our subs but a mad last two minutes, Rochdale almost scoring from their own half and then Mide Shodipo capitalist on a goalkeeping error and himself scoring from 50 (odd) yards. Madness.

It was hard watching at times but what a mad finish. A neutral would have loved it I think, because we joined Rochdale in not bothering to defend. Saying that there were some fantastic goals from both teams such as James Henry's goal or Humphrey's flicked finish.

1st time we've won 6 Lg games in a row since 1985. Run over on Saturday though as we play Fleetwood.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Is it still the case that you can't get in League Two without an adequate stadium?

I'd suggest similar for Accrington and the Championship, it's fucking wank, that side stand is about 4 seats deep.
Agree with you, that ground is awful. But there’s an awful lot of people who think it’s good, nostalgic and a proper ground.

(All preaching from their out of town 20k+ stadiums of their own of course)

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
Agree with you, that ground is awful. But there’s an awful lot of people who think it’s good, nostalgic and a proper ground.

Not sure what's nostalgic about it, none of it is particularly old and open away ends should not be a thing in Lancashire.

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Not sure what's nostalgic about it, none of it is particularly old and open away ends should not be a thing in Lancashire.
Nostalgic in a ‘jumpers for goalposts’ way.

Reactions: SF_

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
I have just spent half an hour reading your fans forum and was going to ask you about a name that kept coming up with a suggestion of something fishy. But you have answered it already. I note that the player you refer to came on as a sub, and did not do a great job in defence. That must create such a toxic situation, especially when you probably have too big a squad anyway. I do not think we were particularly good, a top team would have slaughtered you. I just think it is so rare to see a team where so many players clearly do not want to be there.
Luckily, there aren’t any ‘top’ teams in this league. There are the slightly above average teams, the average teams, the below average teams and the useless teams like us. In a season when the standard is truly appalling we still manage to stand out in our ineptness.

Tbf, the majority of the players, individually, are fine. But from manager upwards it’s a chaotic shambles which translates into performances like last night most games. Even now, replacing Sheridan would give us a fighting chance. Will it happen? Nah.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton

Haven’t they recently redeveloped some of it with more improvements planned?

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town

Ah Taylor Curran. A mysterious player we gave a 3 year contract to at 18. The rumour is that his dad is loaded and is investing in the club on the proviso that his son gets a contract. Even worse now he seems to be getting regular football even though we have shedloads of defenders. This has really riled up the fan base and of course makes a mockery of the club if its a job for your mates club.

The sooner Lee Power sells up and we can try and and move forward the better. The club is stagnant currently which is a massive shame after it looked like Wellens was going to take us forward. I'm sure there are an encyclopaedia of dirty secrets happening behind the scenes at our club, one thing it's never dull but it would be good to get some dull times occasionally!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!