2nd March Match Thread

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
March already! Which is madness. Home to Fleetwood and it's not good news on the injury front:

The outs are:
Liam Bridcutt
Joe Walsh
Calum Morton
Jorge Grant
Harry Anderson
Remy Howorth

Doubtful:
Adam Jackson
Max Sanders

We also have Theo Archibald who returns from a lengthy injury spell but nowhere near match fit. I think that's pretty much it but that leaves us really short all over, other than Howorth all are first 11 players. Not what we need but in coincides with a sticky spell on the pitch. IF we can stay in the mix until we get a couple of players back that should help us push on.

codaplenty

Reaction score
Supports
Fleetwood
We have a tough match against Lincoln tomorrow. Notwithstanding their injury lisy we have a few missing and in desperate need of points . I think our best chance is a bit of a snatch, grab and hold on to whatever we may have. A point will be better than nothing, having said that we might as well as go s...or bust and try for 3 !

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
We have a tough match against Lincoln tomorrow. Notwithstanding their injury lisy we have a few missing and in desperate need of points . I think our best chance is a bit of a snatch, grab and hold on to whatever we may have. A point will be better than nothing, having said that we might as well as go s...or bust and try for 3 !

Never a better time to play us, if you can fill a bench you're doing better than us. We need to make a strong start, been really sloppy the last few weeks which is really hurting us. Again, losing Walsh and Bridcutt our most experienced players plays a huge role in this in just not having the experience to game manage when we're not firing on all cylinders. Home form not the best in general. Wish we could take Plymouth's pitch as it would give us a huge advantage in the way Appleton wants to play.

I imagine we'll line-up.

GK: Palmer
RB: Poole
CB: Eyoma
CB: Monstma
LB: Edun
CM: McGrandles
CM: Jones
CM: Johnson
FW: Scully
FW: Hopper
FW: Rogers

Bench: Long, Bramall, Sanders, Archibald, Roughan - that's a 18 year-old keeper, two defenders one of which is 17, Sanders as a CM but not fit and Archibald a winger who's coming back from injury. Absolutely nothing on the bench.

Just to add but MA said if we are able to win that it would be his greatest managerial result which says it all!

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
Anybody's guess what happens tonight @ Accy.

I imagine we'll field close to an unchanged side and formation as first team coach come caretaker manager Matt Gill has been close to the first team over the last few weeks.

As for the result, anybody's guess!

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Away to Sunderland. Should be a home banker. But stranger things have happened - like that horse becoming Pope.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
We play Peterborough. We showed improvement against MK but overall we’ve been pants since the Doncaster game.

I remain hopeful-ish. We are capable if we play but with McGuane out for the season our midfield is nowhere near what it could or should be. Peterborough win is likely.

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
We play Peterborough. We showed improvement against MK but overall we’ve been pants since the Doncaster game.

I remain hopeful-ish. We are capable if we play but with McGuane out for the season our midfield is nowhere near what it could or should be. Peterborough win is likely.

You seem to be very negative. In the five league games since Doncaster we've won two, drawn two (both of which could have been won) and lost 1-0 to Portsmouth in a game where we should have got something out of the game.

OK, it hasn't been free flowing football, but all of those games were played on poor surfaces (with the possible exception of the game against Portsmouth, which was played in a gale), and I think it's this which has affected the performances as much as anything. It's the same for both teams, but the current state of pitches, in my opinion, levels some of these games, to the detriment of our style of play more than some of our opposition.

I'd prefer to say it's been a bit scrappy rather than "we've been pants" (a phrase I hate BTW, just say shit if that's what you mean, this isn't a primary school playground!) and I think that's the situation for most clubs at this time of the year, particularly with the heavy usage the pitches have had.

If it's a decent surface, and no wind, tonight, then I expect a good game between two good sides. Could go either way.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Cobblers away tonight. Think Jephcott will be rested, Lowe said he is knackered. I imagine Opoku won’t be playing following his ankle injury Saturday. Not sure who he will have at left wing back. On loan Lewis started Saturday, is very quick and has a nice cross, but is over enthusiastic and will pick up loads of cautions. Conor Grant possibly suspect defensively but offers a cooler head. On Saturday Grant played in three positions - RM, LWB and CDM - so offers some tactical flexibility.

Be interesting to see how Northampton approach this. Rochdale played a very canny defensive approach recently and we could not break them down. Personally, I hope you go for it, that will create space for us. If we have an outside chance of sixth we needs wins, draws are of no use and losses won’t put us into relegation contention.

I note there are some issues over the keeping, what is the problem with Mitchell? And will he or Arnold play? Was really surprised what your manager said to the local rag re the keeper situation, not having the public support of your manager does not seem likely to help a struggling keeper.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Away to Sunderland. Should be a home banker. But stranger things have happened - like that horse becoming Pope.

Their attacking players are going to have a field day aren't they? We have another emergency keeper on loan from Birmingham. He'll be our 6th keeper we've fielded this season.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
You seem to be very negative. In the five league games since Doncaster we've won two, drawn two (both of which could have been won) and lost 1-0 to Portsmouth in a game where we should have got something out of the game.

OK, it hasn't been free flowing football, but all of those games were played on poor surfaces (with the possible exception of the game against Portsmouth, which was played in a gale), and I think it's this which has affected the performances as much as anything. It's the same for both teams, but the current state of pitches, in my opinion, levels some of these games, to the detriment of our style of play more than some of our opposition.

I'd prefer to say it's been a bit scrappy rather than "we've been pants" (a phrase I hate BTW, just say shit if that's what you mean, this isn't a primary school playground!) and I think that's the situation for most clubs at this time of the year, particularly with the heavy usage the pitches have had.

If it's a decent surface, and no wind, tonight, then I expect a good game between two good sides. Could go either way.
I don't think that excuses less than satisfactory performances and our ineffectiveness in recent games. We have looked less than convincing, our downturn in form has been coming and I'm unsure how and why anyone is not able to see the obvious. We haven't scored in three prior to the MK Dons fixture and we have almost stopped creating chances entirely (barring the last 10 minutes against MK) and we have looked less than convincing against Bristol Rovers, albeit as you say the result was the main thing.

If playing surfaces are an excuse for scoring once in four, that is inexcusable. Good players adapt. Rather, we are a streaky team and have been for a good few seasons. I do however think our midfield is lacking impetus.

Oh and regarding your interesting take; pants, knickers, socks, y-fronts. Relax and enjoy your day, Eric!

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Cobblers away tonight. Think Jephcott will be rested, Lowe said he is knackered. I imagine Opoku won’t be playing following his ankle injury Saturday. Not sure who he will have at left wing back. On loan Lewis started Saturday, is very quick and has a nice cross, but is over enthusiastic and will pick up loads of cautions. Conor Grant possibly suspect defensively but offers a cooler head. On Saturday Grant played in three positions - RM, LWB and CDM - so offers some tactical flexibility.

Be interesting to see how Northampton approach this. Rochdale played a very canny defensive approach recently and we could not break them down. Personally, I hope you go for it, that will create space for us. If we have an outside chance of sixth we needs wins, draws are of no use and losses won’t put us into relegation contention.

I note there are some issues over the keeping, what is the problem with Mitchell? And will he or Arnold play? Was really surprised what your manager said to the local rag re the keeper situation, not having the public support of your manager does not seem likely to help a struggling keeper.
It wasn't just two defensive howlers last match, I guess, it was the back pass against Burton and a strong of comically bad mistakes over last months which has stretched our winless run as long as it has. He's not the only issue, the fact out top scorer has 4 goals and we've had one goal from our attackers in 2021 also is very glaring, but if you correct for those mistakes we definitely have one win those last 5 games.

I think we'll probably want to come out to play, because there is nothing to lose, and we dont have the ability or will to sit deep and try to snatch a result.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
It wasn't just two defensive howlers last match, I guess, it was the back pass against Burton and a strong of comically bad mistakes over last months which has stretched our winless run as long as it has. He's not the only issue, the fact out top scorer has 4 goals and we've had one goal from our attackers in 2021 also is very glaring, but if you correct for those mistakes we definitely have one win those last 5 games.

I think we'll probably want to come out to play, because there is nothing to lose, and we dont have the ability or will to sit deep and try to snatch a result.
Thanks for that, obviously I will be hoping Mitchell starts, and you won’t. Hopefully an open game then. What is you pitch like, we tend to prefer to play passing on the ground?

By the way is the ex-charlton and Cobblers full back Paul Curtis still associate with you at all? He was an old school friend, indeed he was a subject of conversation when I met up on zoom with some old chums last week.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Thanks for that, obviously I will be hoping Mitchell starts, and you won’t. Hopefully an open game then. What is you pitch like, we tend to prefer to play passing on the ground?

By the way is the ex-charlton and Cobblers full back Paul Curtis still associate with you at all? He was an old school friend, indeed he was a subject of conversation when I met up on zoom with some old chums last week.
Not a name I recognise at all, so not a starring role at the moment!

Pitch has been pretty awful, based on Brady's last few home games we will try to pass it around a bit particular in the first half regardless of the state but it's not amazingly conductive to a smooth passing game. We'll likely to revert to a bit longer as it goes on and we get frustrated, but pretty fruitlessly.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Not a name I recognise at all, so not a starring role at the moment!

Pitch has been pretty awful, based on Brady's last few home games we will try to pass it around a bit particular in the first half regardless of the state but it's not amazingly conductive to a smooth passing game. We'll likely to revert to a bit longer as it goes on and we get frustrated, but pretty fruitlessly.
Paul played for you in the mid-80s and was I think a youth coach for a while.

What formation are you likely to play. We tend to have a version of five-three-two. Our left side is our weakest for defending, but also our strongest attacking is down our left. I think there is a correlation between these factors.

We are a young side, of the likely starting eleven, I think only four, maybe five are 24 or older.

We tend to play much better in the first half than the second.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Joyce being back is a plus tonight, expected a while out. Shitehead starts but guess he deserves the clean slate the others got.

Thankfully Gibbo and Monty are fit to start.

Claret Forever

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
Paul played for you in the mid-80s and was I think a youth coach for a while.

What formation are you likely to play. We tend to have a version of five-three-two. Our left side is our weakest for defending, but also our strongest attacking is down our left. I think there is a correlation between these factors.

We are a young side, of the likely starting eleven, I think only four, maybe five are 24 or older.

We tend to play much better in the first half than the second.

So far, almost everything I said has been wrong. Pitch is fine, Mitchell has had a good game (though, the issue is more just random occasional gaffes happening rather than a shot stopping ability) and we've gone back to going more direct, with the goal coming from a knockdown from a goal kick, though still a far less one note than under Curle.

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Well what a breath of fresh air, even if we lose now that first half was better than the last 8 games combined

Camborne Gills

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham, Kent, Miami Dolphins, Castleford
Just beaten Franchise, despite having only 21% possession, and being outpassed by 665 to 172. Go figure!!!

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Just beaten Franchise, despite having only 21% possession, and being outpassed by 665 to 172. Go figure!!!
They seemed happy just to tap it around rather than concentrate on making chances. Even though we lacked possession I think we deserved the win in the end.

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Imps 1 - 2 Fleetwood

No complaints, Fleetwood the better side overall although we did come back into in the last 20. Liked the look of Battye, thought he was the best player on the pitch although he faded towards the end.

Without Bridcutt and Grant we're really soft the the centre of the park, not much in the way of defensive cover without the former and without the latter no-one to make us tick. Sanders came on and looked like he could do a job in the future.

Lovely first goal by Fleetwood, good technique although the lack of closing down didn't help!

Surprised to see Morton back and grabbed himself a goal which was well taken and for the first time since September we have two strikers!!!!! Rogers needs competition which we don't have, he can do the sublime yet wastes possession.

The 'blip' continues and we have to find a way to win without Bridcutt and Grant but at the moment, I just can't see where it comes from.

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Imps 1 - 2 Fleetwood

No complaints, Fleetwood the better side overall although we did come back into in the last 20. Liked the look of Battye, thought he was the best player on the pitch although he faded towards the end.

Without Bridcutt and Grant we're really soft the the centre of the park, not much in the way of defensive cover without the former and without the latter no-one to make us tick. Sanders came on and looked like he could do a job in the future.

Lovely first goal by Fleetwood, good technique although the lack of closing down didn't help!

Surprised to see Morton back and grabbed himself a goal which was well taken and for the first time since September we have two strikers!!!!! Rogers needs competition which we don't have, he can do the sublime yet wastes possession.

The 'blip' continues and we have to find a way to win without Bridcutt and Grant but at the moment, I just can't see where it comes from.
Frustrating to watch and once Fleetwood scored, there was only ever going to be one outcome. We had a couple of attempts first half but really did struggle and look so tired. Great to see Morton score towards the end.

It just goes to show the lack of depth in our squad unfortunately. 12 goals conceded in the past 5 games, a far cry from the opening 26!

Still, we've had a cracking 2/3 of the season, if some of the players come back in next few weeks (Anderson, Bridcutt, Walsh) we may well make the playoffs. Seems frustrating to say after such a brilliant start.

Crewe at home saturday and id be happy if we keep a clean sheet.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Didn’t play well tonight but shithoused a win.
Out the bottom 4 for the first time since October last year.

Guernica

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Frustrating to watch and once Fleetwood scored, there was only ever going to be one outcome. We had a couple of attempts first half but really did struggle and look so tired. Great to see Morton score towards the end.

It just goes to show the lack of depth in our squad unfortunately. 12 goals conceded in the past 5 games, a far cry from the opening 26!

Still, we've had a cracking 2/3 of the season, if some of the players come back in next few weeks (Anderson, Bridcutt, Walsh) we may well make the playoffs. Seems frustrating to say after such a brilliant start.

Crewe at home saturday and id be happy if we keep a clean sheet.

Wasn't nice to be on the end of a 'Paul Farman' and the ref didn't even add the time on!

DearneValleyRover

Reaction score
Supports
Doncaster Rovers, Sporting Leyland
Absolutely fantastic from Andy Butler got the team playing like a team with passion, Rovers did the usual of nearly throwing the win away at the end but a deserved 3 points.

K-Win

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Jackett's latest cunning plan was to go with wing backs. Worked so well that we scrapped that idea after 20 minutes and one down. Just clueless at the moment.

11 points from 30 isn't really promotion form. At least we might be spared the play offs at this rate.

Oh. Almost forgot. #JackettOut

YEO YEO YEO

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Wasn't nice to be on the end of a 'Paul Farman' and the ref didn't even add the time on!
Absolutely! This is certainly the first blip from ourselves this season with regards to results - will be interesting to see how we tackle Saturday. Will Sanders start in place of Jones (who struggled)? Assuming Morton will again be a sub.

SuffolkBlue

Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
We beat Accrington 2-1 with them having a man sent off in the first half. Could’ve gone either way. One of the best sides we’ve faced this season, they’re a credit to their club. Loving this wave of optimism after the end of Lambert and the imminent takeover. Gills and Lincoln coming up, 4 points from them and then who knows! Norwood is beginning to show us why he was so highly rated by Tranmere. Still needs 5 chances to score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!