3rd October 2020 Fixtures

AdamStag

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Na, had us to win in an acca but thats it. Mansfield let me down.

well you deserve it for betting on us

about as much fight in the french army than that bunch out there.

back Stevenage next week

Moomin

Reaction score
Supports
ECFC
Seems like we’re improving, although Lewis Ward did make a couple of early saves, which naturally put a different complexion on the score line.

We do look good in the attacking midfield areas and we seem to be pressing high, which suits are youthful players in those areas. Matt Jay now has 3 goals and needs to play each week, plus academy graduate Joel Randall has had a brilliant start to the season with 2 goals in 4. Josh Key and Lewis Page at full back have been excellent too.

I am slightly concerned about our lack of pace in the CB areas so any forward with pace will expose that and up front Bowman is struggling and the fans are getting on his back. He works hard but isn’t a natural goalscorer and with Ajose being frozen out, it becomes a frustrating situation.

Southend away next week I think, which should see 3 points, but you never know in this league.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Yet another fuck you very much from the EPPP

Didn’t know that and harsh on sides without one! Lucky for us with have Smith and Gibbons who are usually first on the team sheet otherwise just a token sub for someone who isn’t ready to play yet.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Didn’t know that and harsh on sides without one! Lucky for us with have Smith and Gibbons who are usually first on the team sheet otherwise just a token sub for someone who isn’t ready to play yet.
We've got Taylor Charters who came on as a sub yesterday, doing OK but still early days for him, he's yet to make any sort of telling contribution with the minutes he's accrued so far. It's getting harder to bring players through the academy as more and more of those who are good enough to play at this level get poached by Premiership and Championship clubs before we even see them.

There are more players in the Leeds squad who came through our academy system than in ours (excluding players out on loan) and four players in the Premier League came through our academy, one of whom has been named in the England squad, and three of whom were in our academy as recently as 2019. You'd think we'd be rolling in money, and though we got a decent amount off Everton for Branthwaite, the amount that qualifies as 'decent' seems to be going down year on year.

And to add insult to injury, at the same time as making it increasingly unviable to run an academy at this level and making us reliant on their loanees, they're now punishing teams for not having academy graduates in their squad.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
That's a good quiz question. Name the 4 Premier League players that came through the Carlisle academy.

My guess would be Jarrod Braithewaite, Sadio Mane, Kevin De Bruyne and Dominic Calvert-Lewin..

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We've got Taylor Charters who came on as a sub yesterday, doing OK but still early days for him, he's yet to make any sort of telling contribution with the minutes he's accrued so far. It's getting harder to bring players through the academy as more and more of those who are good enough to play at this level get poached by Premiership and Championship clubs before we even see them.

There are more players in the Leeds squad who came through our academy system than in ours (excluding players out on loan) and four players in the Premier League came through our academy, one of whom has been named in the England squad, and three of whom were in our academy as recently as 2019. You'd think we'd be rolling be money, and though we got a decent amount off Everton for Branthwaite, the amount that qualifies as 'decent' seems to be going down year on year.

And to add insult to injury, at the same time as making it increasingly unviable to run an academy at this level and making us reliant on their loanees, they're now punishing teams for not having academy graduates in their squad.

We have a few that broke in, Smith and Gibbons the two still with us but it’s dropped off a bit in terms of players coming through, we had four decent ones taken by Man City, Wolves and Stoke for good money but that is the problem so they are now lost in the system where they will be less likely to break through into their first team than they would with us. We’ve got Frank Sinclair in now to help though so may see some improvement.

We have had some decent ones come and go on to decent success in recent years such as Sam Morsy, Chris Birchall, guess the most successful was Anthony Gardner who went to Spurs and got an England call up. (Although Birchall played for Trinidad at a World Cup and Morsy played for Egypt!)

It’s tough, Crewe have managed to do well with theirs in the past couple of decades but even then they don’t get the level of player they used to through it these days such as Ashton, Murphy etc.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
I am not happy to lose like that at Newport yesterday. Both goals were really soft. The first one is a terrible error from Bowery. If you're in your own box not sure what's around you, kick it out for a throw in or at worst give them a a corner. Definitely don't panic and swing it anywhere in your 18 yard box.

The debate over the penalty is completely irrelevant because the goal comes following a piece of terrible technique from Rawson. The penalty decision shouldn't be a debate in the first place because it is a simple header which he heads up and behind him giving the Newport man a brilliant situation vs Menayese. Forget the refereeing decision, I still can't figure out how Rawson has made such a bad mess of that.

I cannot yet recall a goal we have conceded this season that doesn't at least one individual error in it.

Couple of words on Coughlan based on yesterday's performance. Firstly, correct decision to shake up the team but completely the wrong decision to start Maynard and Reid. It should have been Cook partnered by Maynard/Reid. The second thing is that the tactics were far too conservative. I expect us to be much braver on the ball and to appear as though we have some idea about our tactics when attacking (note, kicking it long and diagonal is not attacking). Coughlan/the players don't seem to understand that the 5-3-2 leaves a massive gap between the midfield and wing backs, and the strikers. The whole tactic hinges on the strikers holding up the ball, and being patient so that the wing backs have enough time to join attacks. I am unconvinced that there is any coaching of the attacking phases.

We will cut out the errors and eventually pick up points but Jesus that was boring.

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Our stats from the Walsall game are ridiculous, 63% possession, 27-2 on shots, 10-1 on target, 7-0 on corners.

And somehow we still never really looked like winning. Need to get more clinical or dominating games won't mean shit.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
5 changes and a change of system....We simply do no
[/QUOTE]
One sub has to be from the academy. We don't have an academy, so no players eligible.
I think thats good. Academies cost a lot of money to finance each season.
Teams like Exeter have made it pay and deserve praise.
Ours was costing upwards of £3m a season as a Category 1 in 2015
We have cut our cloth accordingly and dropped down to Category three.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
I think thats good. Academies cost a lot of money to finance each season.
Teams like Exeter have made it pay and deserve praise.
Ours was costing upwards of £3m a season as a Category 1 in 2015
We have cut our cloth accordingly and dropped down to Category three.

So what you're saying is that clubs that can't afford an academy should be disadvantaged further by having a smaller match-day squad. Sounds fair.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Yes that is Exactly what i am saying...Like it or not but now you are in with the big boys all be it league 2.
Why should teams like Exeter Bolton etc have a youth system that many times bares no fruit and expensive to run.
Barrow then step in and snap players up who have been coached and trained at others expense.

Simple.......no team should be allowed into the football league without a academy.
I would even suggest 5 players must be in every match day squad from academies
No use teams bleating to the premier league wanting bailing out when they overspend on there first team squads

Last edited:

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Doesn't really affect clubs like Barrow too much anyway I'd have thought, what with them being used to only having 5 subs allowed, 6 must feel like a luxury.

We have a category 3 academy which is majority funded by EFL grants and supporters club sponsorship. Gradually starting to see some players breaking through, seen Aden Baldwin go to Bristol City and Jordan Steven go to Leeds in recent years, and a couple more highly rated kids are breaking through.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Doesn't really affect clubs like Barrow too much anyway I'd have thought, what with them being used to only having 5 subs allowed, 6 must feel like a luxury.

We have a category 3 academy which is majority funded by EFL grants and supporters club sponsorship. Gradually starting to see some players breaking through, seen Aden Baldwin go to Bristol City and Jordan Steven go to Leeds in recent years, and a couple more highly rated kids are breaking through.
That is how teams in leagues 1/2 must operate going forward

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
The problem with an academy is making it pay.

I think Exeter must be overlooked by the big clubs to continuously getting decent kids through to their first team before they get poached for sod all...and that's the problem. Losing a future Premier league player for £25k where it used to be millions.

Casey

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

I think Exeter must be overlooked by the big clubs to continuously getting decent kids through to their first team before they get poached for sod all...and that's the problem. Losing a future Premier league player for £25k where it used to be millions.

Casey

The sell on clauses are usually the money makers for clubs like ours as Exeter have proven... we had Jordan Hugill in our development squad when we ran it, he left to PNE for a smallish fee but Micky Adams insisted on a 20% sell on and he moved to West Ham for 9.5 million. £1.8 million, not bad for a freebie from Whitby who featured for 9 months for us.

Only downside was Smurf was in charge and he took it all, even the last instalment after the sale was done he insisted went to him.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
very few Academies pay, but without them we simply do not have a game.
To ease the financial burden in the bottom two leagues there should be a minimum of at least 5 players in every match day squad of 18 players

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Just watched the port vale Morecambe highlights to see what all the fuss was about on that penalty, deffo a 'softish' pen but not sure it warrants the amount Vale have been kicking off about it.

Highlights were shocking though in general. How boring does a match need to be that a free kick that goes miles over gets into the 60 seconds highlights lol

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum

Casey
We get lots poached up too early. Ben Chrisiene just this summer. Jay Stansfield a year ago. Ollie Watkins, Jordan Storey, Matt Grimes & Ethan Ampadu (sort of) all got to our first team properly though and made us a few bucks.

Last edited:

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
We get lots poached up too early. Ben Chrisiene just this summer. Jay Stansfield a year ago. Ollie Watkins, Jordan Storey, Matt Grimes & Ethan Ampadu (sort of all got to our first team properly though.

Don't forget Jordan Moore-Taylor. Absolute class.

Devon_Lad

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter City / Rangers
Twitter
@MoggMentum
Yesterday: 4 of our starting 11 came through our academy, 2 out of the 7 on the bench have come through academy. Think it would be very harsh if teams without developed academies had to near match us on that.

Shrimpurh

Reaction score
Supports
Southend
Our first point. We are definitely improving

Reactions: loz

Back in the DHSS

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Just watched the port vale Morecambe highlights to see what all the fuss was about on that penalty, deffo a 'softish' pen but not sure it warrants the amount Vale have been kicking off about it.

Highlights were shocking though in general. How boring does a match need to be that a free kick that goes miles over gets into the 60 seconds highlights lol

To be fair on the Port Vale fans. If that penalty was given against us, i would of been upset too. Absolute minimal contact and Cole Stockton goes down like a big bag of shoite.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots

As a spectacle it was pretty terrible so not surprised that Conlon effort was included. Not quite as well done as the one at Exeter safe to say.

Either way must give credit to the Morecambe manager who identified stopping Joyce getting on the ball as a priority and it worked a treat for them. Clearly had done his homework, impressive management there.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient

‘Ark at Vegan Village FC giving it the Bertie Big Bollocks.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Yes that is Exactly what i am saying...Like it or not but now you are in with the big boys all be it league 2.
Why should teams like Exeter Bolton etc have a youth system that many times bares no fruit and expensive to run.
Barrow then step in and snap players up who have been coached and trained at others expense.

Simple.......no team should be allowed into the football league without a academy.
I would even suggest 5 players must be in every match day squad from academies
No use teams bleating to the premier league wanting bailing out when they overspend on there first team squads

You can't be that thick, surely? How is a non-league club realistically supposed to set up an academy and make it pay? Any half decent player in our area is at Blackburn or Preston by the time they are 10.

There's clubs such as Wycombe who sacked off their academy because it wasn't worth the money.

I'm sure some kind of proper youth set-up is part of the plan if we stay up for a couple of seasons, but before that we have to get the stadium to meet EFL requirements. Your stupid idea would only see plastic millionaire clubs take promotion and bankrupt anyone else.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
I can’t even bring myself to watch the highlights and that penalty decision again.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
The problem with an academy is making it pay... Losing a future Premier league player for £25k where it used to be millions.

Precisely. Our age group teams get picked clean every year by Arsenal, Spurs and more. Even Burnley stole one FFS. Think we managed to get about 250k compensation for Steven Alzate who now plays every week for Brighton and is a full Colombian international.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
As a spectacle it was pretty terrible so not surprised that Conlon effort was included. Not quite as well done as the one at Exeter safe to say.

Either way must give credit to the Morecambe manager who identified stopping Joyce getting on the ball as a priority and it worked a treat for them. Clearly had done his homework, impressive management there.

It was pretty much Morecambe with 11 men in their own final third and us pinging it around the back four and Joyce for 90 minutes!

Fans talk about it being the same as Harrogate but it was the polar opposite with the same outcome.

Harrogate got in our faces and we just lumped it long, yesterday we played loads of football so much so in the 95th minute with Legge up front we at no point launched it into the box to try and get something! Morecambe sat off and probably needed Pope on and a bit of launching to cause them problems. Harrogate had we got it on the deck and passed around them would have been more successful.

Penalty was a Premiership penalty. Soft, minimal to no contact. Sadly we had a booted Prem referee on his return after a long lay off. Had the same happen with Mike Jones refereeing us a couple of years back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!