A-Z of Punk

D B Disco

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
No apologies for another punk thread, but this is going to be a long post so I will apologise for that!

Thought I would put together an A-Z of punk bands that have been important/meant something to me over the years for one reason or another.

This isn't meant to be a list of the best bands, and no doubt I will miss a few that should probably be on any punk list, but feel free to comment or add your own.

I'm not going to add videos as I'd be here all day, but you can pretty much find anything on Youtube these days, so if anything tickles your fancy from the following go have a look/listen.

OK, here goes...........

A
Great, it's getting difficult already as there are a few bands that I could put here! But I'm going to go with THE ANTI-NOWHERE LEAGUE. I've seen these live many times, the first time on their "So What" tour back in 1981/82. First album was a punk classic, but sadly they went more metal after this and never really achieved what they perhaps could have. Although their last album The Road to Rampton is really worth a listen. Still going and I believe they are releasing 2 albums this year.

Honourable mentions to;

THE ADICTS - Fun band that I saw a few times. Based in the USA now but still going strong
ABRASIVE WHEELS - not a particularly great band, but did make one of my all time favourite punk albums "Black Leather Girl".

B
I'm gonna go for THE BLOOD here. Absolutely loved their single Meglomania, and their first album False Gestures for a Devious Public, although the production on this was pretty crap. As a point of interest, this album was banned at one time due to the irreverent cover!

Honourable mention to;

BLITZ - Got into these after hearing their song "Warriors" played over the speakers at a Stiff Little Fingers gig, as it sounded superb at full volume!

C
No choice other than THE CLASH really. One of THE punk greats who's music still sounds fresh after 40 years.

D

A more recent band here, and the source of my user name, DIRT BOX DISCO.
Absolutely love these guys! Great tunes, Great fun, and a massive breath of fresh air! If you still go to gigs, get yourself along to see them - you won't be disappointed! One of the best punk bands around at the moment.

Honourable mention to;

DROP KICK MURPHYS - brilliant Celtic Punk.
THE DAMNED - for New Rose.

E
THE ENEMY.
Just like Abrasive Wheels, they're not particularly a "great" band, but I'm putting them here as they gave me one of my favourite moments on any punk album. I previously put a link on the other punk thread to their album Gateway to Hell. They have a classical piece as the intro (this will be familiar to anyone who remembers the Old Spice Adverts) and the contrast between this and the opening track is just immense.

F
Struggling here as nothing particularly stands out as being that memorable/important to me, so I'll just go with a couple of Honourable mentions - THE FITS and 4 FOOT FINGERS

G
Was gonna go with GREEN DAY as I love their music, but instead I'm opting for GENERATION X. Not everybody's cup of tea, Billy Idol being an ex public schoolboy and all that, but if you listen to their albums rather than just their well known singles, there are some great tracks to be found.

H
OK, I'm going to use a bit of poetic licence here, as the band I'm choosing isn't really a "Punk" band, but they were labelled as "Glam Punk" (as were The New York Dolls) so I figured I can get away with it.
HANOI ROCKS. My favourite band of all time. Used to follow them all around the Country and have seen them many many times. In their hey-day (early to mid 80's) they attracted all kinds to their gigs - Punks, Skins, Rockers, Normal??, Male/Female, Adults/Kids, and truly could have gone on to be one of the biggest bands in the World. Reformed a few years ago and released more albums, but it was never the same and they since split again.

IJK
Not getting lazy, but I'm going to skip these as nothing really stands out for me - Including THE JAM as I never really got into them.

L
LARS FREDERIKSEN AND THE BASTARDS
- Almost didn't include these here as RANCID will probably be my choice later in this list, but given that they play just the kind of thing I love, and they have written some really great tunes, they just pip my other choice under L, LESS THAN JAKE.

M
Loved this band in my younger days, even to the extent of scouring market stalls for a bowler hat!
MAJOR ACCIDENT. A very different sound to most other punk bands, and were labelled as a "Droog" band as their image was influenced (as were The Adicts) by the infamous film "Clockwork Orange". I remember being totally mesmerised by their song Affliction the first time I heard it.

An honourable mention has to go to THE MEMBERS for Sound of the Suberbs - a punk classic.

N
Again, nothing stands out for me.

You might think THE NEW YORK DOLLS would feature here, but for some reason they never did anything for me.

O
This might be one for VANNI here, as it's the kind of band he keeps trying to spoil a perfectly good punk thread with :bg:.
Back in the 80's, one branch of punk took a direction which I really did not, and could not, get in to. For me it was tuneless, talentless garbage.
However, there were a few things to salvage from that huge pile of shit and this is one of them.
ONE WAY SYSTEM. Fast, loud, aggressive, but still managed to keep a tune. If I have a crap day at work, playing this really loud in the car on the way home puts everything to rights.

Honourable mention to;

THE OUTCASTS. An Irish band that dared to try something different.

P
Lots of choice here, and honourable mentions must go to THE PROFESSIONALS (Steve Jones and Paul Cook's band following the split of The Sex Pistols) for some truly great tunes, and to THE POGUES for getting me into their particular style of punk.
But the band I'm picking here is PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES. Their album Mating Sounds of South American Frogs is definitely in my top 5, and one of the tracks from it, "Blown Out Again", I could listen to all day.

Q
Nope.

R
As hinted at previously, my choice here is RANCID. I'm not normally too keen on American punk bands, as I think British bands do it much better, but these guys are definitely an exception. Great tunes, great image, and a singer who's voice just drips "punk rock". Definitely one of the best punk bands over the last couple of decades.

I could list loads of honourable mentions here from RESISTANCE 77 to THE REZILLOS, but the one I really want to mention is THE RABBLE. Only discovered these guys fairly recently, and I believe they have now split up, but I absolutely love their music!

S
I'll start with the honourables here, as there can only be one choice for the letter S. Which is kind of a shame as there are plenty that could have been chosen for one reason or another;
THE STIFFS
STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
SHAM 69
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
SPLODGENESSABOUNDS
SPUNGE

But there can only be one....THE SEX PISTOLS.
It's hard to gauge exactly how much influence the Pistols had on me and many others of my generation, but safe to say it's massive. As a teenager when punk first reared it's ugly head, it was a movement that was "ours" and I loved everything about it. The music, the fashion, the newspaper headlines, the controversy and the total Fuck Off attitude to anyone that didn't understand. The Sex Pistols epitomised punk at that time and must stand out as THE punk band for me.

T
THE TOY DOLLS.
Strange but fun band, and were one of the acts playing at one of the best gigs I've been to. Their biggest single was Nellie the Elephant...enough said!

U
Again, no-one really stands out under this letter, but an honourable mention to THE UK SUBS.

V
I'm nominating VICE SQUAD here. Not because I like their music, because I don't, but I used to work with their lead singer Becki Bondage in my first job in the Civil service. I will always remember everyone else turning up to work in smart suits etc, whilst she would turn up with bleached blond spiky hair, leather skirts,studs and ripped fishnet stockings.....brilliant!

W
Stretching things a bit again, as I'm going for THE WILDHEARTS. Not a band that you would immediately label as punk, but definite punk influences there. Definitely worth seeking out some of their stuff if you've never caught them before, as they've made some truly brilliant songs.

X
Gotta be X-RAY SPECS. Poly Styrene has to be one of the best female punk vocalists ever, and when a punk band can introduce a saxophone into their music and make it sound great, how can you argue?

Y
Technically, I suppose this band should come under the letter B as their real name is THE BOYS. However, they renamed themselves THE YOBS to bring out a couple of brilliant Christmas albums. Still remember the faces of people when I slipped their album onto the record player at a stuffy MOD office Christmas party!

Z
Wish there was one, but there isn't!

If you have managed to wade through that lot I hope you enjoyed the read, and if you didn't, well in true punk style....FUCK YOU!

The Southbank

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
Absolutely terrific post, thoroughly enjoyed reading that.

Managed to see The Enemy a few times, one of my favourite punk bands and was always a top night.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Excellent DB! :thumbs:That's the great thing about Punk - contrary to what some think, it's a very diverse scene and you've got it all. The original 76 bands, the second wave when bands got more political/ angrier/more rawer production (wait, what production?), the anarcho punk movement, the third wave when it started to got complicated with terminology - grindcore, crust etc, and so on.

No prizes for guessing which are my favourite genres ;) (The second wave aka hardcore and anarcho for those who don't know). Having said that, I listen to nearly all the genres within punk, with the exception of that tuneful poppy shite that people classify as punk FFS (see the other thread on this forum). No it's not, the words pop and punk don't sit well together, and the originators of punk themselves made this clear when they said punk was the answer to dinosaur rock and pop music.

Now, for DB's attention. I know perfectly well what you mean by tuneless noise. There are bands that I don't like at all (Chaos UK and Disorder are two examples) because I think they take it to extremes, but then again, a lot of punks used to say these bands were only in it to irritate people. Looking at some of Disorder's record titles like Distortion to Deafness and Complete Disorder suggest these guys had a point. I plead guilty to trolling your honour when I post a Disorder, ahem,tune :fish: OTOH, I don't consider bands like Discharge as 'just noise' but as 'rawer and angrier', something which sits well with me as I believe that punk should be protest music first and foremost. And oh, btw, I may enjoy loud bands like Wolfpack/Anti Cimex etc but I don't listen to their whole albums. I may listen to 4/5 tracks at most but after then I find that it gets a little tiresome.

Keep on Punking!!!

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Boss idea. Here are some suggestions from me if they have any purchase. Don't think any have been mentioned yet? Mainly from scrolling my music library on the computer, records, plus others that come to mind. I'm going by my own judgment as to what's punk. If it's got what I see as the certain sound and attitude it's in, regardless of era I guess.

A: Adolescents. Algebra Suicide. Alternative TV. Anaemic Boyfriends. Atomsmasher (later Phantomsmasher)
B: Bad Brains. The Better Beatles. Big Black. Black Flag. bIG fLAME. Bikini Kill. The Birthday Party. Blurt. Boyracer. Bratmobile. Bush Tetras. The Buzzcocks
C: C.C.T.V. A Certain Ratio. Chumbawamba. Circle Jerks. City of Caterpillar. Comanechi. Conflict. CRASS. John Cooper Clarke
D: Datblygu. The Dead Kennedys. Death. Descartes a Kant. Descendents. Destroy All Monsters. Discharge. DNA
E: Egor i Opizdenevshiye (Egor and the Fuckups). Elton Motello. ESG. Essential Logic. The Ex
F: The Faith. Th' Faith Healers. The Fall. Flipper. Flogging Molly. Flux of Pink Indians. The Flying Lizards. Fugazi. Patrik Fitzgerald. The Fugs
G: Gang of Four. Gramme. Les Georges Leningrad
H: Half Japanese. Half Man Half Biscuit. Harry Pussy. Hasil Adkins. Thee Headcoatees. The Holy Molar Rounders. Hüsker Dü
I: Icons of Filth. The Intelligence
J: Jeromes Dream. JFA. Jilted John. Joanna Gruesome
K: Kraut
L: Lake of Dracula. Lightning Bolt. LiLiPUT (née Kleenex). Lizzy Mercier Descloux
M: The Make-Up. Maximum Joy. The Mekons. The Middle Class. Makthaverskan. MC5. Melt-Banana. Minor Threat. The Minutemen. Mission of Burma. The Mo-Dettes. The Modern Lovers. The Monks. Moss Icon. Moss Lime
N: Naked City. The Necessaries. Nirvana. No Trend. NoMeansNo. Nots
O: OFF!
P: Pere Ubu. The Pleasure Seekers. The Pogues. Pussy Riot
R: Rain. The Raincoats. The Ramones. The Red Krayola. Rites of Spring
S: S.O.A. Shock Headed Peters. Shonen Knife. Shop Assistants. Shopping. Silver Apples. The Skids. The Slits. Social Distortion. The Soft Boys. The Stranglers. Subhumans. Suicide. The Sultans of Ping FC. Swans. Swell Maps
T: Team Dresch. Teddy & the Frat Girls. Television Personalities. Trash Kit. Tristan Tzara
U: U.S. Maple. UK Decay. The Undertones. Ut
V: The Velvet Underground. Void
W: Waitresses. The Wipers. Wire. Link Wray

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Never heard of Descartes a Kant before.

Hell of a name.

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Just gave the first track a listen and it's excellent - reminds me a bit of Lolita Storm...

I'll check out more of their stuff.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Just gave the first track a listen and it's excellent - reminds me a bit of Lolita Storm...

I'll check out more of their stuff.

Just switched this over to the studio version, which is also on YouTube. Top recommendation. Riot drrrm'n'bass?

Stevencc

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
°
Just switched this over to the studio version, which is also on YouTube. Top recommendation. Riot drrrm'n'bass?

Good description! It's really fun stuff.

This was probably my favourite...

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
No apologies for another punk thread, but this is going to be a long post so I will apologise for that!

Thought I would put together an A-Z of punk bands that have been important/meant something to me over the years for one reason or another.

This isn't meant to be a list of the best bands, and no doubt I will miss a few that should probably be on any punk list, but feel free to comment or add your own.

I'm not going to add videos as I'd be here all day, but you can pretty much find anything on Youtube these days, so if anything tickles your fancy from the following go have a look/listen.

OK, here goes...........

A
Great, it's getting difficult already as there are a few bands that I could put here! But I'm going to go with THE ANTI-NOWHERE LEAGUE. I've seen these live many times, the first time on their "So What" tour back in 1981/82. First album was a punk classic, but sadly they went more metal after this and never really achieved what they perhaps could have. Although their last album The Road to Rampton is really worth a listen. Still going and I believe they are releasing 2 albums this year.

Honourable mentions to;

THE ADICTS - Fun band that I saw a few times. Based in the USA now but still going strong
ABRASIVE WHEELS - not a particularly great band, but did make one of my all time favourite punk albums "Black Leather Girl".

B
I'm gonna go for THE BLOOD here. Absolutely loved their single Meglomania, and their first album False Gestures for a Devious Public, although the production on this was pretty crap. As a point of interest, this album was banned at one time due to the irreverent cover!

Honourable mention to;

BLITZ - Got into these after hearing their song "Warriors" played over the speakers at a Stiff Little Fingers gig, as it sounded superb at full volume!

C
No choice other than THE CLASH really. One of THE punk greats who's music still sounds fresh after 40 years.

D

A more recent band here, and the source of my user name, DIRT BOX DISCO.
Absolutely love these guys! Great tunes, Great fun, and a massive breath of fresh air! If you still go to gigs, get yourself along to see them - you won't be disappointed! One of the best punk bands around at the moment.

Honourable mention to;

DROP KICK MURPHYS - brilliant Celtic Punk.
THE DAMNED - for New Rose.

E
THE ENEMY.
Just like Abrasive Wheels, they're not particularly a "great" band, but I'm putting them here as they gave me one of my favourite moments on any punk album. I previously put a link on the other punk thread to their album Gateway to Hell. They have a classical piece as the intro (this will be familiar to anyone who remembers the Old Spice Adverts) and the contrast between this and the opening track is just immense.

F
Struggling here as nothing particularly stands out as being that memorable/important to me, so I'll just go with a couple of Honourable mentions - THE FITS and 4 FOOT FINGERS

G
Was gonna go with GREEN DAY as I love their music, but instead I'm opting for GENERATION X. Not everybody's cup of tea, Billy Idol being an ex public schoolboy and all that, but if you listen to their albums rather than just their well known singles, there are some great tracks to be found.

H
OK, I'm going to use a bit of poetic licence here, as the band I'm choosing isn't really a "Punk" band, but they were labelled as "Glam Punk" (as were The New York Dolls) so I figured I can get away with it.
HANOI ROCKS. My favourite band of all time. Used to follow them all around the Country and have seen them many many times. In their hey-day (early to mid 80's) they attracted all kinds to their gigs - Punks, Skins, Rockers, Normal??, Male/Female, Adults/Kids, and truly could have gone on to be one of the biggest bands in the World. Reformed a few years ago and released more albums, but it was never the same and they since split again.

IJK
Not getting lazy, but I'm going to skip these as nothing really stands out for me - Including THE JAM as I never really got into them.

L
LARS FREDERIKSEN AND THE BASTARDS
- Almost didn't include these here as RANCID will probably be my choice later in this list, but given that they play just the kind of thing I love, and they have written some really great tunes, they just pip my other choice under L, LESS THAN JAKE.

M
Loved this band in my younger days, even to the extent of scouring market stalls for a bowler hat!
MAJOR ACCIDENT. A very different sound to most other punk bands, and were labelled as a "Droog" band as their image was influenced (as were The Adicts) by the infamous film "Clockwork Orange". I remember being totally mesmerised by their song Affliction the first time I heard it.

An honourable mention has to go to THE MEMBERS for Sound of the Suberbs - a punk classic.

N
Again, nothing stands out for me.

You might think THE NEW YORK DOLLS would feature here, but for some reason they never did anything for me.

O
This might be one for VANNI here, as it's the kind of band he keeps trying to spoil a perfectly good punk thread with :bg:.
Back in the 80's, one branch of punk took a direction which I really did not, and could not, get in to. For me it was tuneless, talentless garbage.
However, there were a few things to salvage from that huge pile of shit and this is one of them.
ONE WAY SYSTEM. Fast, loud, aggressive, but still managed to keep a tune. If I have a crap day at work, playing this really loud in the car on the way home puts everything to rights.

Honourable mention to;

THE OUTCASTS. An Irish band that dared to try something different.

P
Lots of choice here, and honourable mentions must go to THE PROFESSIONALS (Steve Jones and Paul Cook's band following the split of The Sex Pistols) for some truly great tunes, and to THE POGUES for getting me into their particular style of punk.
But the band I'm picking here is PETER AND THE TEST TUBE BABIES. Their album Mating Sounds of South American Frogs is definitely in my top 5, and one of the tracks from it, "Blown Out Again", I could listen to all day.

Q
Nope.

R
As hinted at previously, my choice here is RANCID. I'm not normally too keen on American punk bands, as I think British bands do it much better, but these guys are definitely an exception. Great tunes, great image, and a singer who's voice just drips "punk rock". Definitely one of the best punk bands over the last couple of decades.

I could list loads of honourable mentions here from RESISTANCE 77 to THE REZILLOS, but the one I really want to mention is THE RABBLE. Only discovered these guys fairly recently, and I believe they have now split up, but I absolutely love their music!

S
I'll start with the honourables here, as there can only be one choice for the letter S. Which is kind of a shame as there are plenty that could have been chosen for one reason or another;
THE STIFFS
STIFF LITTLE FINGERS
SHAM 69
SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
SPLODGENESSABOUNDS
SPUNGE

But there can only be one....THE SEX PISTOLS.
It's hard to gauge exactly how much influence the Pistols had on me and many others of my generation, but safe to say it's massive. As a teenager when punk first reared it's ugly head, it was a movement that was "ours" and I loved everything about it. The music, the fashion, the newspaper headlines, the controversy and the total Fuck Off attitude to anyone that didn't understand. The Sex Pistols epitomised punk at that time and must stand out as THE punk band for me.

T
THE TOY DOLLS.
Strange but fun band, and were one of the acts playing at one of the best gigs I've been to. Their biggest single was Nellie the Elephant...enough said!

U
Again, no-one really stands out under this letter, but an honourable mention to THE UK SUBS.

V
I'm nominating VICE SQUAD here. Not because I like their music, because I don't, but I used to work with their lead singer Becki Bondage in my first job in the Civil service. I will always remember everyone else turning up to work in smart suits etc, whilst she would turn up with bleached blond spiky hair, leather skirts,studs and ripped fishnet stockings.....brilliant!

W
Stretching things a bit again, as I'm going for THE WILDHEARTS. Not a band that you would immediately label as punk, but definite punk influences there. Definitely worth seeking out some of their stuff if you've never caught them before, as they've made some truly brilliant songs.

X
Gotta be X-RAY SPECS. Poly Styrene has to be one of the best female punk vocalists ever, and when a punk band can introduce a saxophone into their music and make it sound great, how can you argue?

Y
Technically, I suppose this band should come under the letter B as their real name is THE BOYS. However, they renamed themselves THE YOBS to bring out a couple of brilliant Christmas albums. Still remember the faces of people when I slipped their album onto the record player at a stuffy MOD office Christmas party!

Z
Wish there was one, but there isn't!

If you have managed to wade through that lot I hope you enjoyed the read, and if you didn't, well in true punk style....FUCK YOU!
Good to see one way system in the list, my band supported them a lifetime ago .

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
Who were your band Aber?
We were called lots of things mate. When someone left or joined we changed our name:bg: I think we were called either red shift or hostile agenda at the time. I've still got flyers knocking about. I must dig them out.

D B Disco

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Fair play mate.

Something I look back on now and wish I had done! Me and a few mates did flirt with the idea, but only ever got as far as writing a few lyrics!

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
I used to do vocals sometimes and drum . We were terrible really, just covers and the odd original song. Just playing pubs when we could. Very glamorous :lol:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!