American Football

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13m13 minutes ago
Eagles have been informed Sam Bradford wants to be traded and he will not be showing up for their off-season program any longer, per source.

Er, wut...

Would I be wide of the mark if I thought that Bradford was pissed at the Eagles trading up to get Goff/Wentz and he doesn't want to stick around and compete for the job, so wants to bail? What a little bitch.

M

Martino Knockavelli

Deflategate is back!

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
Fuck you Goodell. That is all :mad::mad::mad:

From what I understand this is getting sent back to Judge Bermans court who said he had other things he took issue with the NFL over in his judgement and would look at them if it ended up coming back to him. This whole thing is a joke.

Edit - having read Twitter it appears they've ruled on the open judgements too so guess on it goes with another appeal.

Last edited:

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Have no issue with Bradford asking for a trade. He could be a guaranteed starter somewhere else, so why not? Should be giving the bloke a small element of kudos for wanting to play rather than thinking he's a little bitch.

Have to think he was told when signing a contract that he was the starter and the signing of Daniels leant weight to that. He's got perfectly valid reasons to move on.

That all said, given the signing bonus he'll be really hard to move on... and the Eagles are going to take a hit even if they find a willing trade partner. Good to see post-Kelly they're really being sensible with new contracts being handed out...

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Actually have far more sympathy for the Patriots losing the pick than I do for Brady, in terms of the proportions of the punishments. The botched investigation aside, both got done for not co-operating fully when an allegation of cheating was made.

Also am far more forgiving than most to Goodell. CBA gave him the power, finger should be point at the NFLPA or the owners that employs him if people aren't happy. Goodell takes the flak the owners don't want to.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Point taken on the CBA and NFLPA, think that's a fair one to make Jimbob. This should be a concern for all players in the NFL now if this doesn't get overturned in the Supreme Court as it gives him absolute authority to do whatever he wants in as arbitrary a manner as he sees fit.

Whatever happens now down the line come the next CBA negotiation I don't see any way there is not a lockout as the commissioners power will be high on the agenda for the NFLPA and they understandably will not wish to cede that. It was only narrowly averted last time, don't think will be so lucky.

As far as Bradford goes if I was Philly's GM I'd get on the phone to Elway before the draft and offer Bradford for a pick. Could be a win-win scenario as Denver will not want to go in with Sanchez as the starting QB one would have thought and Philly get something to use in the mid-late rounds as well as getting that contract off the books. Seems the best option to me.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I said in the post before when the Eagles made their statement about trading up to #2 for a QB that Bradford wouldn't be happy to spend a year grooming his successor. I also have no issue with him asking for a trade, surprised it didn't happen sooner, even more surprised that the eagles are surprised! The only place he's a nailed on starter is teams with QB issues like the Browns, Broncos and 49ers. The Browns maybe did ask about him in their trade but the timing of this makes you think Bradford doesn't want to play there. 49ers most likely landing spot I think but surely Denver will also be on the phone to see what the Eagles value him at.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Point taken on the CBA and NFLPA, think that's a fair one to make Jimbob. This should be a concern for all players in the NFL now if this doesn't get overturned in the Supreme Court as it gives him absolute authority to do whatever he wants in as arbitrary a manner as he sees fit.

Agreed on the lockout on the horizon. CBA expires in 4/5 years time I think?

See, I don't really mind Goodell getting that authority, the NFL isn't a public body and doesn't have to abide by fairness (even though in this case, in my view actively not fully co-operating with an allegation of cheating should be punished). The union has agreed to a deal and the power the commissioner role receives, yet when we see disagreements we see investigations and court escalations that take over a year and then sporting issues then going to and being decided by supreme courts.

Goodell is appointed to run the NFL and punish players who bring the business into disrepute, owners and players (via the union) have agreed to it. I really don't like to see courts deciding how the NFL is run when a player disagrees with what's been completely lawfully agreed.

Reactions: .V.
M

Martino Knockavelli

See, I don't really mind Goodell getting that authority, the NFL isn't a public body and doesn't have to abide by fairness

I'm not really sure what this means (genuinely, no snark), but whilst the NFL might not be obliged to act in a moral manner, that does not mean that hoping they might do so is an unreasonable expectation, nor that pointing out they are a shower of twats when they fail to meet that standard is an unreasonable reaction. The ammoral excesses and exploitative practices of big business are grim enough without us consumers shrugging our shoulders and acting like it's too much to ever hope for anything else. Especially from an anti-trust compliant cartel that's basically an adjunct of the entertainment industry. And wheels out cherubic kids and heroic soldiers every 15 mins to put a bit of gloss back on their tarnished shield.

Secondarily, and I suppose this is somewhat of the crux of the legal argument that I'm abundantly unqualified to faff on about, there is a distinction (intellectually if not legally) between the NFL commish having the power to act as a godlike arbiter, and his having the ability to wield that power competently. Frankly I no longer give much of a fuck if he did so here, but we know that he didn't exhibit that ability in the Ray Rice case, for example, as his risible backsliding after the post-video release PR disaster tacitly admitted.

(related to which I'd note also that dropping a possibly unwarranted or oversized anvil on Tom Brady's head is not even close to the top of the bad shit that goes on under the NFL/Goodell's aegis)

Your point about Goodell being a proxy and flak jacket for the 32 owners is absolutely correct, obviously, and all too infrequently remarked upon, especially by media members queuing up to kiss the feet of the great and sainted Mr Kraft™.............

M

Martino Knockavelli

Pre-draft thoughts, then?

I was very much on board with the good guys getting a QB at #4, but the shape of this year's class and the teams trading up ahead of them look to have put the kibosh on that. Other stand-out need is a hoss off the edge to help with the pass rush, but Buckner probably projects inside in a 4-3, and folks (me included) are not really sold on Bosa at #4. So that's not ideal either. I would certainly be interested in them trading down if the opportunity presents, but that doesn't appear too likely now either.

So logic (and reports today, for whatever they are worth) suggests it'll be Ramsey or Elliott. The former is perhaps a suboptimal fit for Marinelli's scheme, but would still be a fine addition to a D that needs plenty of help. I don't doubt that Elliott will be a very nice player on Sundays, but I'd still rather they found their RBs on the cheap, despite last year's failure. (this will be portrayed as FLASHY JERRY WIN NOW vs. Smart Guys in the Room, obv...)

So... Ramsey, hopefully...? I would certainly not complain, but it doesn't really feel like the future keystone building block that a #4 pick could end up being.

Otherwise, a mid round RB (assuming they don't take Elliott), and for like the 10th year in a row, throw a dart at a list of the mid round QBs and hope they end up looking really smart 2 years hence.

Yoose lots?

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
We're utter mugs if we don't take a Nose Tackle or someone in the secondary at 26.

Edit: 25. :ffs:

Last edited:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
To be honest Carel I think a mid round pick on a QB may not be the worst for you, say someone like Hackenberg? That could be the way to go even allowing for him not living up to his high standards after BO'B left Penn State.

For the Pats well we have the night off on the first one pending any (possible but highly unlikely) move into the 31st or 32nd spot. Main priorities will be another O-Lineman for Scarnecchia to help develop and then someone at CB, DE (now Easley has been let go for whatever reason) and also a RB. Obviously rather than that BB will spend it on a Long Snapper or Gunner from Rutgers.

So long as we don't bring any more players from Florida am good though, safe to say not had the best of records with them for reasons ranging from idiot in the lockeroom, not very good or guilty of first degree murder.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Well the Lions now have an ex-Pats man at the helm so I'm hoping for the first time in around 20+ years they will finally ditch the 'best player on the board,regardless of whether he is needed' and draft players for major need. With that in mind OT or DT/DE first and 2nd rounds, if it's anything else clearly being GM of the Lions sends you insane and it won't ever matter who has the job. I was hoping Conklin or Decker 1st round but I think they'll both be off the board come pick 16 which means it's more likely to be a DT. The DT and DE group looks the strongest of this draft so it's no bad thing.

At some point they'll take a CB and WR as well. With Quinn publicly saying it's good sense to draft a QB every year expect a QB in the later rounds. Lions have 11 picks, including two in the 3rd round so hoping for a few starters out of this draft and some good depth.

Quinn has also said the team looks at off field issues seriously after being very strongly linked to Robert Nkemdiche who has 1st round talent but massive red flags everywhere else and is expected to fall out of the 1st round, a lot of drafts have the Lions taking him in the 2nd, can't see him falling that far to be honest reckon someone will take a gamble on him before then. In the same press conference he said he would not draft any player with any domestic abuse history or firearms convictions/issues.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
Is the draft good TV?
I think the 1st round is. Then it really depends on how much you care/time on your hands. Especially Saturday where it's rounds 4-7. NFL.com usually has free streaming of the whole thing, so if you've got not much to do from around 4pm on Saturday you can spend literally hours watching the picks roll in.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
I don't really know or see that much college football so nowhere near as clued up as some of you chaps.

For me though, Texans have to go WR and TE early, Corey Coleman has landed at Houston in a few mocks and from the little I've read would be happy with that.

Hunter Henry, TE - is he likely to be hanging around towards the end of the second round?

Houston have to bolster the O-line so would expect a couple of OTs perhaps a C but with Hoyer being released I wouldn't be surprised to see a QB drafted, maybe B'OB is hoping for Hackenberg?

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Love draft day and the build up to it, really interesting reading about all these guys, and then especially when you get into the last week trying to see through all the smokescreen's. I think Ronnie Stanley has been mocked just about everywhere from #3 down to #15 in the last couple of weeks with the current hype being that San Diego are interested at #3 but I think that's a load of bull, had them taking Buckner pretty much since the beginning and seen nothing to suggest otherwise.

Dallas' pick at #4 is really what is making the rest of round 1 so unpredictable, Elliott, Ramsey or Bosa? Could be any of the 3 but I reckon they'll go with Elliott, and they seemed to drop that hint by mistake in a press conference the other day too.

Think everyone had Jack mocked to the Jags for a long time but there has been negative chat about his injury again recently and I think he might slide a bit, although not too much (got him going to the Giants at #10 as they pretty much always go BPA). Jags will have a tough call between Ramsey or Tunsil IMO but I think they just have to shore up that D and will take Ramsey.

I still expect there to be one more trade in the top 10 too, either at #6 or #8, QB needy team may get twitchy about 49ers taking Lynch and bite the bullet but not sure any of those teams have the ammo to move up that far (plus Lynch is not a good fit for Chip Kelly so just don't see it). Tunsil to the 9ers is also a very strong possibility and to get a player who was consensus #1 until the trades a couple of weeks ago would be good value at #6 or #7, maybe see Tennessee move back up here and jump ahead of San Francisco to get the man they would've picked at #1 anyway. I see Tunsil going at #6 either way regardless of who picks there, and assuming that's the case then it's still possible Cleveland move back too, but I think they might bite the bullet and pick Lynch....

As for the Vikings, media consensus seems to be WR and in my mock I have us in the middle of a run of receivers, with Treadwell (top 10 pick until recently) first off the board the pick before and us getting Doctson, which wouldn't be a disaster, but I would love it if Conklin drops a bit and we can grab him, or even Taylor Decker, and pick up a WR in round 2 as there will still be a couple of good ones on the board, hopefully Tyler Boyd, who I'm very high on.

Mr Elmo

The only optimistic Derby fan around
Reaction score
Supports
Derby
I don't really know much about College ball at all but based on what I'm seeinng and hearing it looks like Goff would be more suited to us for the #1 pick, being as he would be more suited to the division and also from a more local area. Its interestinv that we went for the top pick in a weaker QB draft though, neither of the topprospects are made out to be what Winston and Mariota were last draft. I guess its mainly trying to drum up as much interest as possible seeing as it is the first season back in LA, people are going to be way more interested in pick number 1 than pick number 15.

The problem i see is that if the chosen QB isn't great then we're a little short on picks for this draft and the next, if they are good enough they could fit well but we still don't have an elite receiver they can throw to, guess we'll see what the future brings

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Draft for me is a great watch, I also do the second night for rounds 2 and 3 but that's where I draw the line. I don't watch any college football, but it's still a great thing to see. Gets you hyped about next season, we all hope our teams improve, optimism abounds. I'll be up tonight watching.

Biggest needs are either a chaser type ILB to go next to run stuffers Ryan and Barrington, or a dominating DL at the nose. And given the draft projections and consensus, I don't think TT will have to move up to get one of the above. Depending on who is available I could even see us moving down.

M

Martino Knockavelli

This red-carpet malarkey is possibly my fave car crash TV of the year.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Rams had a QB called Keith Null? 0 wins. Nominative determinism at its best

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Goff it is.

Wentz about to get thrown into that messy QB situation in Philadelphia.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
The "tight-end Nebraska" one gets me everytime.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Goff it is.

Wentz about to get thrown into that messy QB situation in Philadelphia.

Not watching the first round but Rams better hope they have got this right from day one for what they've given up. I feel sorry for Goff in a way as the expectations on him are going to be astronomical and I suspect he will never be able to live up to it. Same can be said of Wentz.

Edit - read on Twitter Goodell is getting booed mercilessly. God bless you Chicago, that's why they're my favorite NFC team.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Although the expectations will be high, at the very least Goff has that defence and Gurley to lean on... although not the best receivers...

I fear more for Wentz, initially at least. Wouldn't surprise me to see during-draft trades of Bradford and Kaepernick, and Fitzpatrick's 2016 team sorted when Lynch goes off the board.

M

Martino Knockavelli

Welp, Good Guys have got their two to choose from. Suspect it will be Elliott, hoping for Ramsey. Can live with the former.

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Although the expectations will be high, at the very least Goff has that defence and Gurley to lean on... although not the best receivers...

I fear more for Wentz, initially at least. Wouldn't surprise me to see during-draft trades of Bradford and Kaepernick, and Fitzpatrick's 2016 team sorted when Lynch goes off the board.

Agreed on Wentz, we all know how patient and understanding the good folk of Philly are.... :hypo:

Still say Bradford to Denver by the end of this draft, it makes the most sense. Either that or the Jets given Fitz is at deadlock in his contract negotiation with them.

M

Martino Knockavelli

Dude can play. But spend the cash on O-line and plug in randos FFS. He pretty much needs to be Adrian Peterson for this to make sense.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Morris is durable, so have to wonder if McFadden is looking over his shoulder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!