Anyone catch Coventry vs Sheffield United last night?

ccfctommy

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Twitter
@ticope87
Blades won 2-1 late on with two Billy Sharp goals. Pitch invasion at the end by City fans directed at the owners which delayed the game. Also United fans were assholes trying to get at City fans and constantly singing provicative songs!

All very eventful...

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Blades won 2-1 late on with two Billy Sharp goals. Pitch invasion at the end by City fans directed at the owners which delayed the game. Also United fans were assholes trying to get at City fans and constantly singing provicative songs!

All very eventful...

Was a weird game and atmosphere. Blades didn't seem to get out of first gear, Coventry looked ok, organised and defended alright, the kid on the wing tried to do too much for Coventry, one too many step overs.

Sheffield United fans attitude wasn't great could hear it on TV but then if they go through what Coventry/Portsmouth/Blackpool etc have gone through they will maybe understand. Luton for example were superb during our protests a few years back and loads of clubs came to support us when they came to watch us against Dagenham when we were in administration so there are decent supporters out there.

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
our fans don't have the best reputation on occasions,but have shown support + camaraderie to plenty who needed it in the past...
pompey fans were very quick in showing support and funds for a life-long hatter fan who died recently...
there will always be rogues who bring our names into disrepute.though lets focus on the good?
oakey :fing:

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheff United
Very dissapointed with the Coventry fans using the demonstration to arguably give their team an unfair advantage.

The Cov fans were throwing balls aimed at our players trying to put off our players
And blowing the whistles every time we attacked but stopped whistling when their players attacked.
Our fans were threatened outside the stadium etc.
Also isn't entering the field of play against the rules but the police and stewards didn't seem interested. At one point I wondered if the game was to be abandoned.

They should learn from the Charlton fans by keeping demonstrations off the field of play.
If there must be something that affects the game then do it at the start (like Charlton did).
Sheff Utd played Charlton at The Valley the other week and generally were supportive of their plight.

The 2nd half was our worse display during the last 12 matches but we did deserve to win, had more possession, more shots, more corners, hit the post twice and the Cov goalie was far busier pulling off some great saves. Difficult conditions to play in with the multiple delays and pitch invasions and I'm glad it's out of the way.

The Coventry City fans need to rethink their demo strategy and show a little more respect to how it affects opposition teams and fans otherwise you'll lose the good will and sympathy your fans deserve.

Thought the Coventry team were poor and looked disinterested during the 1st half. It was almost like a training match BUT give credit to Coventry who finally showed some desire in the 2nd half and played much better.
Your team isn't that bad and should have enough to stay up. Hope you get a decent manager who sorts you out. Good luck!

Last edited:

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Very dissapointed with the Coventry fans using the demonstration to try to gain an unfair advantage.

The Cov fans were throwing balls aimed at our players trying to put off our players
And blowing the whistles every time we attacked but stopped whistling when their players attacked.
Our fans were threatened outside the stadium etc.
Also isn't entering the field of play against the rules and at one point I wondered if the game was to be abandoned.

They should learn from the Charlton fans by keeping demonstrations off the pitch.
If there is to be something that affects the game then do it at the start (like Charlton did).
Sheff Utd played Charlton at The Valley the other week and generally were supportive of their plight.

The 2nd half was our worse display during the last 12 matches but we did deserve to win, had more possession, more shots, more corners, hit the post twice and the Cov goalie was far busier pulling off some great saves. Difficult conditions to play in and I'm glad it's out of the way.

The Coventry City fans need to rethink their demo strategy and show a little more respect to how it affects opposition teams and fans otherwise you'll lose the good will and sympathy your fans deserve.

Heard this from a lot of United fans and I'm starting to see why they got so wound up. They just don't have a clue what is going on at this club. We have been protesting for five years now. We have done marches through the city centre, we have had 9000 fans at Arsenal away on TV protesting, we have had boycotts, petitions and more. I was one of the few hundred who used to protest from the hill outside Sixfields. We have tried absolutely everything and nothing has changed.

Last night I was so proud of the Coventry fans, peacefully protesting and gaining huge national coverage. From the response of the United fans we obviously need more coverage because they have no clue.

Sisu are the worst owners since those at Wimbledon all them years ago. What happened to them could happen to us in a years time, just like when we moved to Sixfields. I have supported this club for over 20 years and have had nothing but relegations, points deductions, administrations, ground shares, manager after manager, and so on. We have every right to protest.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Didn't catch much of the game, but what I did see was pretty poor really and it seemed that both teams were content to take a point at 1-1 until the few Coventry fans entered the pitch.

Regarding the protest, I think it got a point across to the owners and broadcast the general discontent at CCFC to a wider audience but I always feel that protests are judged by the numbers involved and I felt it would have looked more intense had more been involved and not just a small group of (what appeared to be) youngsters wanting their moment in the spotlight.

I think the FA and the EFL need to sit up and take note of fans feelings towards their clubs owners because we are reaching a stage where more and more games are going to be abandoned due to fan protests on pitches. If protests outside the ground, in the stands, on the pitch don't work then the next logical step is to start causing games to be called off as this will affect their owners financially. However, this will do nothing good for football in general and considering it seems to be a sport in turmoil I am not sure the FA or other governing bodies will want this.

One question I would like to ask everyone is, should Sky be praised for picking these sorts of matches for TV to give fans of clubs like CCFC a platform to show a wider audience their discontent or should they be under scrutiny for it, considering a TV match will always generate more intense protests than a normal 3pm Saturday match?

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Talk Sport have been Coventry for the last hour and have now managed to get Tim Fisher, the chairmen, on the show. The coverage since last night has been fantastic.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Didn't catch much of the game, but what I did see was pretty poor really and it seemed that both teams were content to take a point at 1-1 until the few Coventry fans entered the pitch.

Regarding the protest, I think it got a point across to the owners and broadcast the general discontent at CCFC to a wider audience but I always feel that protests are judged by the numbers involved and I felt it would have looked more intense had more been involved and not just a small group of (what appeared to be) youngsters wanting their moment in the spotlight.

I think the FA and the EFL need to sit up and take note of fans feelings towards their clubs owners because we are reaching a stage where more and more games are going to be abandoned due to fan protests on pitches. If protests outside the ground, in the stands, on the pitch don't work then the next logical step is to start causing games to be called off as this will affect their owners financially. However, this will do nothing good for football in general and considering it seems to be a sport in turmoil I am not sure the FA or other governing bodies will want this.

One question I would like to ask everyone is, should Sky be praised for picking these sorts of matches for TV to give fans of clubs like CCFC a platform to show a wider audience their discontent or should they be under scrutiny for it, considering a TV match will always generate more intense protests than a normal 3pm Saturday match?

They probably got a bigger audience due to it, I am sure that's all they care about.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
They probably got a bigger audience due to it, I am sure that's all they care about.

I am 100% adamant that is all they care about and is exactly why they chose this match.
I would say that the FA will probably instruct Sky to stop this trend eventually but the power Sky seems to have over football is probably greater than the FA

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
On a side note will Coventry be punished for last night? Expect they will which may hit SISU in the pocket.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
On a side note will Coventry be punished for last night? Expect they will which may hit SISU in the pocket.

It would be the first time the FA/Football League have taken any notice of our club if they did. They are as much to blame as SISU/Coventry council.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Tim Fisher lying through his arse on Talk Sport. Absolutely embarrassed by what I have heard. This club has dropped from 20,000 a week to 8000 since they have been in charge, we have no stadium, no academy, no assets and no future in this league and you say there is no uncertainty. Wow. Fuck off.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Tim Fisher lying through his arse on Talk Sport. Absolutely embarrassed by what I have heard. This club has dropped from 20,000 a week to 8000 since they have been in charge, we have no stadium, no academy, no assets and no future in this league and you say there is no uncertainty. Wow. Fuck off.

Christ.

Appreciate TalkSport highlighting the issue as they did with ours a few weeks back but the downside is it gives the likes of Fisher and Meire a platform to spout their lies to thousands of people. Thankfully, most sensible football fans see right through it.

As much as the bloke is a pillock, Stan Collymoore has been fanatastic in his support for us on social media and is supposed to be covering our situation on his new show. Is this the same for Coventry? Might be worth getting fans to tweet him to do something similar.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Christ.

Appreciate TalkSport highlighting the issue as they did with ours a few weeks back but the downside is it gives the likes of Fisher and Meire a platform to spout their lies to thousands of people. Thankfully, most sensible football fans see right through it.

As much as the bloke is a pillock, Stan Collymoore has been fanatastic in his support for us on social media and is supposed to be covering our situation on his new show. Is this the same for Coventry? Might be worth getting fans to tweet him to do something similar.

Stan has always done a decent job. I am sure he will bring it up.

TalkSport are now saying 'maybe we should accept this in football'. Very sad.

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Stan has always done a decent job. I am sure he will bring it up.

They didn't? What a truly pathetic thing to say.

Hairy Otter

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield United
Heard this from a lot of United fans and I'm starting to see why they got so wound up. They just don't have a clue what is going on at this club. We have been protesting for five years now. We have done marches through the city centre, we have had 9000 fans at Arsenal away on TV protesting, we have had boycotts, petitions and more. I was one of the few hundred who used to protest from the hill outside Sixfields. We have tried absolutely everything and nothing has changed.

Last night I was so proud of the Coventry fans, peacefully protesting and gaining huge national coverage. From the response of the United fans we obviously need more coverage because they have no clue.

Sisu are the worst owners since those at Wimbledon all them years ago. What happened to them could happen to us in a years time, just like when we moved to Sixfields. I have supported this club for over 20 years and have had nothing but relegations, points deductions, administrations, ground shares, manager after manager, and so on. We have every right to protest.

All Blades fans understand the situation at Coventry and there has been plenty of support in the past, but when the protests have (or were having) an adverse effect on our team then it is hardly a surprise a few chants were thrown back. Hardly the worst offence in the world, and the sort of thing football fans do. We've had Coventry (and all other) fans giving it the Tevez chants at Bramall Lane, and I'm quite sure we'll get more of the same when Coventry play in April. Certainly, the chants weren't deserving of some of the bile on social media and without doubt the abuse of fans leaving the ground by a number of wannabe hardmen.

It isn't about not having a clue about your situation, it is that we want SUFC to do well in the game, a game we were desperate to win. So as selfish as that may be, we didn't give a fuck about SISU right there and then and just wanted the game to go on. That we won was fortunate for us, and as far as most of us are concerned that should the end of it for us. I would like to think that there will be no lasting animosity by the time of the return fixture.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

They are probably not far from the truth with a statement like that. The amount of owners coming into the game with wrong intentions is scary and it is pretty scandalous that the FA and other governing bodies are letting it happen. I mean in the last 10 years or so we have seen a trail of destruction from owners coming into clubs and ripping the soul out for their own gain. We've seen clubs uprooted to different towns, clubs liquidated, owners suing their own fans, clubs having to leave 'their' ground, administration hovering over more and more clubs, owners being sent to prison and probably a hell of a lot more and it shows no signs of stopping.

Maybe Talksport are right, maybe we do need to just accept that this is part of football because it appears to me that all of the protesting in the world won't stop dodgy ownership from occurring at many more clubs in the future.

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheff United
Maybe Talksport are right, maybe we do need to just accept that this is part of football because it appears to me that all of the protesting in the world won't stop dodgy ownership from occurring at many more clubs in the future.

But the problem is no one can define what "dodgy ownership" is.
I assume anyone buying a club does it for business reasons to try and make a profit
So does that mean that 95% of owners are dodgy because they want personal gain from your club?

What if SISU suddenly found 20 million downt the back of the settee and went on a massive spending campaign to buy loads of players. Would the Cov fans complain about dodgy owners getting them into debt?
No the fans would be happy and not bothered that the owners are massively overspending if it meant the expenditure lead to promotion.

I'm not sure what the answer is
But it seems to me that a Chairman can be totally irresponsible and treat the fans with contempt but if that club gains promotion then he's held up as a great Chairman.

Whereas you can get Chairman that do everything as per the "how to be the best Chairman in the world" book but if that club gets relegated then automatically that Chairman becomes a clueless owner.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I assume anyone buying a club does it for business reasons to try and make a profit
So does that mean that 95% of owners are dodgy because they want personal gain from your club?

What if SISU suddenly found 20 million downt the back of the settee and went on a massive spending campaign to buy loads of players. Would the Cov fans complain about dodgy owners getting them into debt?
No the fans would be happy and not bothered that the owners are massively overspending if it meant the expenditure lead to promotion.

But it seems to me that a Chairman can be totally irresponsible and treat the fans with contempt but if that club gains promotion then he's held up as a great Chairman.

Whereas you can get Chairman that do everything as per the "how to be the best Chairman in the world" book but if that club gets relegated then automatically that Chairman becomes a clueless owner.

I don't really see what business model there is for anyone to come into a lower league football club and expect to exit with a profit by running it how the fans would expect a club to be run.

Seems to me that more and more people are coming into football clubs to sniff around the land owned by the clubs and the potential value to property developers. That is the only way I can see any businessman/woman making any money from a football club. As far as I know Vale's ground is now owned separately to the football club but both entities are owned by the same person. This means that even if our chairman sells the club he could still keep hold of the ground which is any clubs biggest asset

Lamby

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Who even cares about Coventry?

THE LAST WALTZ

Reaction score
Supports
GILLINGHAM
Poor effort Lamby, even by your infantile standards.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
I don't really see what business model there is for anyone to come into a lower league football club and expect to exit with a profit by running it how the fans would expect a club to be run.

Seems to me that more and more people are coming into football clubs to sniff around the land owned by the clubs and the potential value to property developers. That is the only way I can see any businessman/woman making any money from a football club. As far as I know Vale's ground is now owned separately to the football club but both entities are owned by the same person. This means that even if our chairman sells the club he could still keep hold of the ground which is any clubs biggest asset

Owners make an absolute fucking fortune for example look at spurs there net spend in the last 5 years is a whopping 5million pound so work out for yourself how much levy is making out of that club. Liverpool net spend on players is 125million over 5 years they make 3x that in 1 year.

MJA

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Owners make an absolute fucking fortune for example look at spurs there net spend in the last 5 years is a whopping 5million pound so work out for yourself how much levy is making out of that club. Liverpool net spend on players is 125million over 5 years they make 3x that in 1 year.

I'm talking lower league clubs where the income is not that great

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Very dissapointed with the Coventry fans using the demonstration to arguably give their team an unfair advantage.

!
Your talking nonsense and giving Coventry fans far too much credit if you think it was somehow planned to help us win, the least important thing for Coventry fans last night was the result.

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry

Thought the Coventry team were poor and looked disinterested during the 1st half. It was almost like a training match BUT give credit to Coventry who finally showed some desire in the 2nd half and played much better.
Your team isn't that bad and should have enough to stay up. Hope you get a decent manager who sorts you out. Good luck!

Just as Sheffield United fans only cared about getting the result last night and not caring about the off field troubles of the opposition, Coventry fans only cared about making our feelings known and getting as much coverage as possible. If it upsets Sheffield United or any other club involved then its tough titties for them, the future of our club is more important than the feelings of the opposition,

Coventry fans were only doing the same as Sheffield Utd fans in respect of we were only thinking of ourselves and achieving our goals for last night without second thought to the opposition.

Sheffsteel

Reaction score
Supports
Sheff United
Just as Sheffield United fans only cared about getting the result last night and not caring about the off field troubles of the opposition, Coventry fans only cared about making our feelings known and getting as much coverage as possible. If it upsets Sheffield United or any other club involved then its tough titties for them, the future of our club is more important than the feelings of the opposition,

Coventry fans were only doing the same as Sheffield Utd fans in respect of we were only thinking of ourselves and achieving our goals for last night without second thought to the opposition.

I accept you're passionate and agree we would probably do the same in your position but just because we'd do it doesn't make it right. It was our worse performance for several months and our manager commented that he didn't enjoy the match and simply wanted to play a football match not get involved in politics with constant disruptions throughout the whole match.

If you have grievance (which is genuine) it doesn't give fans carte banche to demonstrate how they want. What if fans took lazor pens into the ground then fired them at opposition players when they attack. How about 300 Coventry fans stripping off and streaking together with some taking a dump on the centre circle. That's would get the publicity.

Demonstrations are fine but it's crosses the boundary if there's indecency or when it could affect or influence the result.

Anyhow the FA are starting an enquiry and there may be sanctions or fines etc against CCFC.
I'm surprised how Sky seeemd to condone fans getting on the pitch stopping play on 2 occasions. It sets a dangerous precedent and I expect the Authorities will release a statement before other clubs (like Charlton) also do multiple but peaceful pitch invasions to disrupt their matches.

In fairness as a one off I would support a pitch invasision but I don't support deliberately trying to constantly disrupt a match so that it can't be played. How many pitch invasions does there have to be before it's unacceptable?

Last edited:

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
All Blades fans understand the situation at Coventry and there has been plenty of support in the past, but when the protests have (or were having) an adverse effect on our team then it is hardly a surprise a few chants were thrown back. Hardly the worst offence in the world, and the sort of thing football fans do. We've had Coventry (and all other) fans giving it the Tevez chants at Bramall Lane, and I'm quite sure we'll get more of the same when Coventry play in April. Certainly, the chants weren't deserving of some of the bile on social media and without doubt the abuse of fans leaving the ground by a number of wannabe hardmen.

It isn't about not having a clue about your situation, it is that we want SUFC to do well in the game, a game we were desperate to win. So as selfish as that may be, we didn't give a fuck about SISU right there and then and just wanted the game to go on. That we won was fortunate for us, and as far as most of us are concerned that should the end of it for us. I would like to think that there will be no lasting animosity by the time of the return fixture.

They could find that 20 million but it wouldn't make a difference. This is way moire than the playing budget, or the lack of it.

In a years time our contract with the Ricoh is over, we will more than likely be homeless. I wouldn't be surprised if we end up in a situation like Wimbledon.

Our chairman has made it clear the club are happy to continue falling down the leagues as long as they are not making a loss. They will keep at it in the conference North/South playing at the old Rushden and Diamonds ground.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
What is the deal with Wasps - they seem to have come in and made themselves at home.

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
So what other offers are the board preventing from taking over the club?

Do Coventry have a divine right to be playing in the Premier League or should they not find their level and build a sustainable football club like other clubs?

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
So what other offers are the board preventing from taking over the club?

Do Coventry have a divine right to be playing in the Premier League or should they not find their level and build a sustainable football club like other clubs?

There have been no offers. No one would take over a club with no stadium, training ground and a shocking squad.

I think they do have a devine right to be in the Premier League of at least the Championship. My first game was in the clubs 31st straight year in the top flight. The club is the only club in the 9th biggest city in England with a huge potential catchment area in Warwickshire.

The problem is since our final few years in the Premier League, way before SISU, the club was being run terribly. A lot of those mistakes have led to the current climate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!