away grounds

Joe.

Reaction score
Supports
Ebbsfleet United
Twitter
@JoeGlidewell
Following on from the first away game thread... just a thread to pass the day a bit!

What's the best away game you've been to? More than one allowed to be mentioned of course!

Best away ground visited?

And away ground most visited?

Best away games for me are obviously Aldershot in the Trophy for my first one and then of course the play off final at Farnborough. Somehow we managed to find 2,000 fans to go to an away game!. What a day that was. Bossed it from start to finish.

For completely contrasting reasons, Barrow, Wrexham and Grimsby away in our relegation season are all up there. Midweek treks when we knew we were fucked, just making the most of the days and nights. Had some cracking trips that season. Four of us singing (and being heard!) At Wrexham was pretty impressive I thought.

Best ground... Middlesbrough. That was surreal. Inside the Riverside with just 300 people in there. Love Wrexham and Grimsby too. Darlington 's Echo Arena was impressive too. Always enjoyed visiting Cambridge too.

Been to Wrexham four times I think, same with Cambridge, York and Bromley! Only won once in all those visits!

Aberstone

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
Best away game: Dulwich Hamlet in 2004. Nothing will top winning a playoff final on penalty shootouts, OK maybe that Trophy win at Cambridge but I wasn't there.

Best away ground: Missed Dartford and Cambridge (as mentioned above) in our Trophy run whilst Newport's old ground at Spytty Park was rather uninspiring. I'll give this award to Top Field in Hitchin, antiquated with wooden terracing along two sides of the ground but it's incredibly charming.

Most visited away ground: Earlsmead, easily and I hate the ground. Must have been there 10 times as a minimum, watching us play vs. Harrow Borough or Hendon.

Edit: I tell a lie, winning the league away can top winning a playoff final. Clinching the Isthmian Premier title at Margate was better than the Dulwich win.... just.

Last edited:

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
There really isn't anything to recommend visiting Earlsmead as a venue..

I have quite a few memorable away matches to choose from.. I will be some time..

les.gtfc

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Best away game ever? Blimey, there's been a few. Winning 1-0 at Everton in The League Cup in 1984 when they were the team of the moment. Paul Wilkinson scored the winner in the final minute after they have mullered us all game. I've still not seen a more one-sided game where the team on top lost. Everton signed Wilko a few months later.

The 1-0 at Newcastle in 1992 with a last minute Jim Dobbin screamer to stop them setting a new record for most consecutive wins at the start of the season, the brilliant 2-1 win at Liverpool IN 2001 with a last minute extra-time 35 yarder from Scouser Phil Jevons winning 2-1 at Middlesborough in the FA Cup in 1989 when they were top half of the old First Division and we were in the bottom 4 in Division 4. Even that amazing day at Wimbledon when we lost at Plough Lane in 1989 when there were more inflatable Harry Haddocks there than Wimbledon fans.

There have been many more over the years but there are also a few not so obvious ones like the 2-1 win at Plymouth on a Tuesday night when both teams were in trouble at the wrong end of the table. Clive Mendonca scored his first ever goal for us and the 100 or so Town fans there doing the conga around the away end in the poring rain and also another one, which I wrote about recently, the 2-1 FA Cup replay at Reading, the game before we played Wimbledon.

My best Mariners memory is not really an obvious one. Away to Reading, 1st Feb 1989, FA Cup 4th Round Replay. We had drawn 1-1 at home on the Saturday and the replay was away the following Wednesday. It was an 8pm kick off and I left work at 3pm to pick up another 3 fans. I was only expecting there to be about 2 or 3 hundred Town fans there but there was well over 1000 packed on the open terrace behind the goal at Elm Park. It was just at the time the inflateables craze was taking off and there were a variety of different ones that night. I had a black and white zebra but there was a dinosaur, a giant fried egg, a Newcastle Brown bottle, a fish (which went on to become our own Harry Haddock) and even a blow up doll amongst a host of others.

They were a division above us so were obviously favorites to go through to play holders Wimbledon in the 5th Round but we shocked them when Shaun Cunnington put us in front in the 2nd half. With time running out though Steve Moran equalised for them and with our players tiring, having given there all, it seemed there would only be one winner if the game went to extra time. That was until Kevin Jobling raced onto a great through ball and held his nerve in a one-on-one with the keeper to slot home and send the players and the fans behind the goal mental. I can remember Shaun Cunnington climbed the fence behind the goal shaking his fist in celebration whilst there was bedlam on the away terrace. We held out for the last couple of minutes to claim a famous victory.

It seemed to take an age to get away from the ground after the game and I can remember driving back down the A1 about 1am in the morning almost falling asleep whilst my 3 passengers were snoring their heads off.
A fantastic night and one that will live me me forever.

As for most visited ground I reckon that must be either Barnsley or York. I reckon I must have been to both of those at least 10 times over the years.

Roly

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Most fun I had away this season was Dartford. Superb day.

I think I've been to Aldershot and Dagenham about four times each.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I have been to Dagenham 5 times, but 4 of them were against Dagenham & Redbridge.
We have a pretty terrible record there against them.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I love Dartford's ground. I think it's perfect for them and the fact that it's been unsegregated for our 2 visits, modern and quirky. Also 100% record there helps.

I've probably been to Elland Road more than anywhere else. I used to go there a lot when Revie was manager. 30 times maybe.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Best away game - There have been some real shockers so it isn't too difficult to remember the good ones. Already mentioned on another thread was a 2-0 win at Oxford Utd, my first away game with Rovers, I sort of knew it might be downhill all the way after that. Since then, amongst the dross, was a 5-0 win at Newport County on New Year's Day 2013. It was a great performance but walking away from the ground we couldn't believe how one sided the game had been, it was so rare that we ever played like that.

Best away ground - I always enjoy visits to Kiddy, the games are usually pretty entertaining (whichever way the result goes), the away terrace is covered so no chance of getting rained on and the food is excellent value. Not the largest of grounds but Ashford Town (Middx) and our local rivals Shortwood win prizes for the friendliest welcome. Whatever they do, regardless of their relative size, they do it right. Although I haven't been there with Rovers I love visiting Brentford, tidy ground and usually a pretty good atmosphere.

Away ground most visited - I have been to Kiddy five times and look forward to a return visit next season, though that largely depends on when the game will be played. I have been to Bath at least four times and seen three different teams as the home side. Plenty of other grounds multiple times, and some that no longer exist, before or since starting to follow Rovers.

Mark kavanagh

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere
Winning 3-0 at goodison takes a lot of beating especially being sat in the gladyws street next to my blue nose mate. 5-1 at the racecourse was a great day considering up until the season before we had never won there , and winning by 4 at preston and blackpool in the early 90s was funny.

Most visits rochdale , wrexham and preston 5 each but ive seen us at wembley 6 times.

Best away ground newcastle when it was a proper ground with terracing on the gallowgate and leases ends. An old geordie bloke came on the pitch and led 35000 passionate geordies in a rendition of the blaydon races, i looked at my mate and said we will get nothing here today.... We lost 3-0

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Best Away Game - Burton 5-6 Cheltenham. After 45 mins this game summed up our 09/10 season. Two goals down, one a gift and the other a shocking penalty decision. Half-time was spent in the bar under the stand and we weren't bothered about going back on the terrace. All of a sudden Justin Richards has pulled one back and Medy Elito has hit a 20 yard screamer to make it 2-2. They close the bar so we head back out onto the terrace, and bang, we're 4-2 down. We get a free-kick in the 84th minute and Michael Pook steps up, I distinctly remember speaking to my mate and telling him that if we score we'll get something. Pook hits it into the bottom corner and it's game on. For about a minute, because they go straight up our end and make it 5-3. Two minutes later Pook has hit his second and it's 5-4. Just as the board goes up for injury time the ball is lobbed over the top, Big Julian Alsop nods it down and Richards gets his second of the game. 5-5. We're in the ascendancy now and nick a corner, the ball comes in, is headed out, and there, on the edge of the box, Pook hits the ball on the half volley right into the top corner. 6-5!!!!! Unbelievable. Greatest moment ever. And to think, that morning my mum gave me £20 to go with as I couldn't really afford it and was going to ring the lads to cancel.

Best Away Ground - In the League, it has to be the KC Stadium in Hull. Good game as well with Damian Spencer scoring a 9 minute hat-trick. Best away ground with CTFC overall is White Hart Lane.

Away Ground Most Visited - Weirdly, with Cheltenham, Roots Hall Southend. I've been there 4 times, seen us lose twice, win once and draw once. The ground I've visited most other than Whaddon Road though is Ewood Park due to having family who support Blackburn Rovers. Been there about 10 times now.

CFC2010

Reaction score
Supports
Chester
Best Away Game: Hard to call really with having 3 promotions in a row in regionalised leagues, every other week we were going away, taking pretty big followings and almost always winning. Purely for the game it self it would probably have to be Wrexham in 2013/4. Last time we visited I remember the 'One Stephen Vaughan' chants and 'We'll never play you again', after only 3 years we traveled there following 5 successive defeats in our first season back in the conference. Then before the game we had the vile banners aimed at two of our deceased supporters which turned the atmosphere pretty nasty. Expectations were pretty low and most just hoped we wouldn't embarrass ourselves but after twenty minutes we found ourselves 2 up and from then on never looked in danger of letting it slip. First win back in the conference and our first league win at the racecourse since the 70's.

Best away ground: Nottingham Forest

Away ground most visited: Macclesfield, Wrexham, Alty

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Best away game
A few choices for me, first Scunny in the second leg in the playoff semi in 2003 just amazing when Yeo broke away to score in front the travelling Imps fans. Second would be the 4-2 win at Blundell park in 2005 with Mr Yeo again playing a starring role. Third and final would be the league cup win at Maine Road in 1996 when we won 1-0.
Favourite away ground so far is the Millennium stadium Cardiff, lost there twice but a totally amazing stadium.
Ground I've visited the most is Scunny's Glanford Park must of been 10 times.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
Best Away Game: A lot of Barrow's biggest games in recent years have been away, and Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, when they were still a Premier League team (Alves, Downing, Adam Johnson all played) was special. Think Barrow still hold the Riverside's record away attendance, with more than 8,000 people travelling.
Lowestoft a few weeks back to clinch the title has to be the best though.

Best Away Ground:
Stadium of Light by far. Going back there on Monday incidentally, to see Foo Fighters...
In non-league, they're mostly pretty poor, but I liked Boston.

Away ground most visited:
Southport and Fleetwood - neither are too far away for a midweek game, and both have got chippies nearby.

CPD_Wrecsam

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham AFC
What's the best away game you've been to?
Birmingham, FA Cup 6th round 1997. I was in the home end with plenty of other Wrexham fans, due to the away end being sold out. We were absolutely superb, after falling behind to a Steve Bruce volley, we went on to win 3-1. It was my favourite ever Wrexham team and included the likes of Andy Marriott, Brian Carey, Tony Humes, Peter Ward, Bryan Hughes and Karl Connolly. We sold Hughes to Birmingham shortly after for £800k.

Shrewsbury in 2006 a close second. We were in the relegation zone and looked doomed. Michael Proctor scored late on and I've never been involved in such scenes before or since. We beat Boston the match after in front of 12,500 at the Racecourse and stayed up!

Best away ground visited?

Millennium Stadium 2004. We played Southend in the Football League Trophy, taking nearly 20,000 there. The ground really is superb and the location is perfect.

For a non cup final, it would be Huddersfield's.

And away ground most visited?

Kidderminster and Altrincham - 5 times each.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
Best away days have to be when we won at Guiseleeds and Broccoli in the playoffs to get into the Conference. The goals felt life-changing.

Favourite away grounds include Chorley, Boston, Cambridge United, Workington, Mossley, Dartford, Worcester City's old place. Modestly sized places unique to their clubs and with a lot of soul.

Worst grounds. MK Donalds' place is a dystopian shithouse, devoid of any humanity. Prescot Cables' is the most dilapidated and weird. Then there are places that lack the exciting feeling of first entering a football ground such as Flyde and Retford, just a tiny stand and farmers' fields on all sides. On the side, Chesterfield, Colchester and Shrewsbury among others seem to have exactly the same ground and I'm glad I've never had to go to those three.

Most visited are probably Guiseley and Colwyn Bay. I've been to Wales 11 times, 10 of which were for Colwyn/Chester/Wrexham.

Paddy

Reaction score
Supports
Kingstonian
Jared is going to love this.

Best away match:
Sutton United 2:4 Kingstonian (Isthmian Premier Play Off SF 2010) - Despite the fact that this all boiled down to nothing in the end with us losing the final, this was by far the best away game I have ever attended (cup finals at neutral grounds not included). From taking the lead to being 2:1 down by half time we won the game 4:2 & this happened along the way.

Best away ground:
Gander Green Lane (Sutton United) - A classic old skool non-league ground, Gander Green Lane has it's charms. Although as the song goes I'd still rather rent a ground then own that dump.
Kingfield (Woking) - Just for the out of place freak stand behind one of the goals... it looks like it was abducted from a Football League ground & plonked on the end.

Most visited away ground:
It's a hat-trick for Sutton United having been to Gander Green Lane far more times then any other ground not including Kingsmeadow.

Forza Imps

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Best away match
Peterborough 1-2 Lincoln in December 2006. Rammed about 2,000 into the away terrace. Atmosphere was unbelievable. It was just after Keith quite and took over there, so it was a bit "tasty" as if we had a point to prove under Schoey. We were third at that point, and I think it was Ryan Amoo who scored the winner - going out with Jade Goody is probably the only other notable thing he did. They went up the season after and we got done by Rickie Lambert in the playoffs having gone top at one point in that season.

Best away ground
Forest is really good, shame there was no one there. Bolton was great when we went but I have a real love for Dartford's Princes Park. It's unique.

Most visited
Probably Boston.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Best Away Match
Too many best away matches to mention. Two have are mentioned above, but down at Swindon to go top of L2 was incredible, as were most of the games in that 2006/07 season. Beating Barnet 5-0 that season was also a highlight.

Even though we lost, one that sticks out as well is away at Boston in that season I think. Ex-Imp Franny Green scored (Mazza mistake I think), Forrester had a goal chalked off, Beevers missed from 2 yards centre of the goal and got a feeling that Yeo was being spat at as he was stretchered off, after their RB did his best to break his leg. 2,600 or so Imps there that night, outnumbered home fans.

We had some crackers at all the local sides to be fair.

Best Away Ground
Millenium Stadium. Forest and Bolton were decent. Accrington is so bad, it's good.

Most Visited
Notts County and Scunthorpe I think.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
Best away match
Peterborough 1-2 Lincoln in December 2006. Rammed about 2,000 into the away terrace. Atmosphere was unbelievable. It was just after Keith quite and took over there, so it was a bit "tasty" as if we had a point to prove under Schoey. We were third at that point, and I think it was Ryan Amoo who scored the winner - going out with Jade Goody is probably the only other notable thing he did. They went up the season after and we got done by Rickie Lambert in the playoffs having gone top at one point in that season.

Best away ground
Forest is really good, shame there was no one there. Bolton was great when we went but I have a real love for Dartford's Princes Park. It's unique.

Most visited
Probably Boston.
Amoo both got goals Forza, remember the chant from the game about him was ' amoo, amoo, amoo's on fire!'
Think he only got one more goal disappeared back into non-league footy again.

Roly

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
God that Lincoln 5-0.

What an utterly horrible day at the office. Followed by a 5-2 win for us the following season.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
God that Lincoln 5-0.

What an utterly horrible day at the office. Followed by a 5-2 win for us the following season.
Which was accompanied by rain wind sleet snow and sun!
Quite a day! We beat Hereford two days later with 10 men I seem to remember.
I missed the 5-0 but saw the 3-2 win the season before, we were 2 down but came back to win 3-2.

Forza Imps

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln
Which was accompanied by rain wind sleet snow and sun!
Quite a day! We beat Hereford two days later with 10 men I seem to remember.
I missed the 5-0 but saw the 3-2 win the season before, we were 2 down but came back to win 3-2.

Hadn't we done Rochdale 7-1 the week before that Barnet game?

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Yep, what a couple of weeks that was. Barnet 0-5 Lincoln, Lincoln 7-1 Rochdale, Swindon 0-1 Lincoln.

Ernie Cooksey scored for Rochdale in that game.

That 5-2 Barnet win will always be remembered for the weather. We were only missing a tornado in that 90 minutes. I've never known the weather to change so dramatically and frequently.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Despite all those, the stand-out moment was Cliff Akurang trying to play 90 minutes as a lone striker at SB, in a game where we only won 1-0 and you didn't have a shot all game.

F Side Rat

Reaction score
Supports
Brabants Finest
Combining all three reincarnations of the the club;

Best away game; Either play off final second leg (yes folks not Wembley in those days) in 1987 at Wolves, or Swindon in the FRT (the same season).

Best away ground visited; I've seen Aldershot play on over 250 grounds which is a big pool do don't be offended if I don't mention you!!! But the winner is.....Hillsborough (one of my top three favourite English grounds) and I have seen them there twice.

Ground Most Visited; Going purely on gut feel I would say either Peterborough or Billaricay. At a guess it would be around the 8 times mark.

East Bank Shot

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot
Best away game: just off the top of my head, has to be winning 2-1 away at Cheltenham in the 2009-2010 season. We needed a win to keep our play off hopes alive, went 1-0 down, got back to 1-1 with a penalty then Dean Morgan scored a stunner in the last minute. More recently, it's Woking away last season where we beat them to stay up with 1500 Shots fans there.

Best away ground: visited some very nice grounds when we were in the football league. Best probably goes to Notts County, just for it's old school feel and atmosphere. Think we drew 0-0 when Sven was around up there.

Ground most visited: there's a few contenders but I think it's Exeter.

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
Jared is going to love this.

Best away match:
Sutton United 2:4 Kingstonian (Isthmian Premier Play Off SF 2010) - Despite the fact that this all boiled down to nothing in the end with us losing the final, this was by far the best away game I have ever attended (cup finals at neutral grounds not included). From taking the lead to being 2:1 down by half time we won the game 4:2 & this happened along the way.

Best away ground:
Gander Green Lane (Sutton United) - A classic old skool non-league ground, Gander Green Lane has it's charms. Although as the song goes I'd still rather rent a ground then own that dump.
Kingfield (Woking) - Just for the out of place freak stand behind one of the goals... it looks like it was abducted from a Football League ground & plonked on the end.

Most visited away ground:
It's a hat-trick for Sutton United having been to Gander Green Lane far more times then any other ground not including Kingsmeadow.

If there was a love button, I would have clicked it.......

It's almost like you want to be a Sutton fan ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!