Best/Worse/Most surprising player this season...

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Best - Gomes

Been our most consistent player saving us on many occasions and rarely making an error in goal.

Worse - Jurado

No goals or assists for somebody who cost 6 million and came with a fairly decent reputation. Too slow to be played out wide when Flores seemed to put him almost every game so maybe not all his fault. Just a very frustrating player who probably look better in a more central role.

Surprise - Watson

Played at this level so got the experience and talent but didn't he'd play much of a part - however generally been very solid and reliable in the midfield with consistent performances whereas others around have dipped in and out form (or out of the team)

Ablur

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Best - Coutinho. He's a class act and has found more consistency with contributing more goals and assists this season. You know when he gets the ball that more often than not something is going to happen. He is probably the most influential player in our starting XI and when he's having a good game the whole team generally seem to tick. We'll be lucky to keep hold of him in the summer if we don't get Champions League football.

Worst - Skrtel. He's usually fairly solid and the first name on the teamsheet in terms of defending, however, for the first half of the season he was a regular and our defence was an absolute shambles. We were a complete laughing stock and couldn't defend set pieces. Since he's been out the team the defence has been a lot more stable and a solid partnership was formed with Sakho and Lovren. Whenever Skrtel is now called upon we go to complete shit again in defence.

Surprise - Benteke. I thought he'd feature more. He's been frustrating at times but has scored some important goals. I'm surprised he hasn't played more though considering the amount of money we've spent on him but I suppose he doesn't really fit into the style of play. When we signed him I genuinely believed he'd be our answer to a 15+ league goals striker, but that hasn't happened. Maybe through no fault of his own due to lack of game time under Klopp, but saying that, he's done himself no favours throughout the season when given the chance with his general play.

Smally

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Best - Lukaku. His goals are what have stopped us being in a relegation fight this season. He's been poor for the last couple of months, however he's got 25 in all competitions and on his day is unplayable. Gareth Barry has also been consistently good this season, and Deulofeu before January was excellent

Worst - Howard. He wasn't good enough last season and was even worse this year. Hung out to dry by Martinez keeping him in the team week after week. Good servant, will gladly clap him off tomorrow and wish him well.

Surprise - Lennon. Always knew him as someone good enough for this level, with pace to burn and a decent dribbler. However he went through a great period of form, darting centrally and his control is usually spot on. Wouldn't be surprised if the new manager sells him seeing as we have a lot of right wingers but I'd like him to stay

Liverlad

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Best: Continho has been great again this season, easily our best player at the moment. Shout out to Firminho too.

Worst: For me it has to be Benteke purely for the money we paid Villa for him.

Surprise: Origi! Thought he was shit at first but now is starting to show some promise, quick and strong on the ball can see him having a good one next season.

SUTSS

Survivor Champion 2015
Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
Best - Jonny Howson. This man deserves to play regularly in the Prem but seems to go under the radar a fair bit. Stuck out on the right wing for most of the season he did well there but really excelled when he came back into his natural position. There aren't many things more beautiful in this world than Jonny Howson picking the ball up in the midfield and driving forward with it. Honourable mention to Timm Klose. Improved our defence a hell of a lot when he signed and I think that if he hadn't have got injured against Palace then we would've stayed up.

Worst - A three way tie here between Mulumbu, Bassong and Naimsith.
  • Mulumbu has been a huge disappointment. Thought it was a really shrewd free signing but he has looked slow, light weight and technically inept when he has played but has rightfully been benched for long periods.
  • Bassong has been woeful. Mistake after mistake after mistake. He's biggest problem in my opinion is that he believes he's a much better footballer than he is which leads to him doing fucking stupid things. Sunderland at home a prime example when he tries to beat a player, loses the ball and in seconds it's 2-0.
  • Naismith has been shocking since he signed. A good debut and has tailed off since then. Anonymous when he's on the pitch. Doesn't look like he can score or create just runs around a lot achieving nothing.
Most Surprising - Gary O'Neil. A washed up has-been who we should get rid off. That was the opinion of most fans at the start of the season about O'Neil but he found his way into the side and has kept his place there. Cool and calm on the ball and bar his one mishap against Stoke has provided a presence in the midfield that we lacked, especially when Tettey was injured.

Hank

Reaction score
Supports
Sunderland
Best - Defoe. Without his 15 goals we would have been down weeks ago.

Worst - Lens. Should maybe titled most disappointing. Had high hopes for Lens, pace, natural talent should have been a good signing. What I saw was a bone idle player that couldn't give a shit.

Most Surprising - Kirchhoff. After a terrible debut at centre back, didn't really think he would feature much after that. Sam then moved him to defensive midfield and that's his position. Reads the game really well braking up play and making interceptions. His passing is excellent and rarely gives the ball away, just seems to have so much time on the ball. A snip at £750, 000

LoveSlug

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Best: This would be between Coutinho and Firmino, Coutinho has been here for a while and just keeps improving. Once Firmino found his feet in the league he definitely became an important part of the team.

Worst: for their actual football, it has to go to Mignolet, how the guy got offered a new five year deal I'll never know. Off the pitch, Sakho, failing a drugs test and likely ruining his LFC career. In here could also be Henderson, he's had an awful season and one I would probably sell after the Euro's.

Surprising: Milner, the guy has turned out to be one of the best free signings we have ever made and has easily justified whatever wage we are paying him.

Mustard

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
Best - Özil is on another planet to our other players. If we weren't so wasteful he would have smashed the assist record, bit of a shame really.

Worst - I don't think we've had any players who have been downright terrible, but there have been some disappointing seasons. Giroud started well and ended badly, I do think he is a good player but he can't be relied upon as a top, top striker as he's too inconsistent. I thought Ox would push on this season but he hasn't really, although injuries have played a part. Walcott is probably the pick of the bunch, he has actually regressed and I fear the injuries may have taken their toll. Ramsey looks a shadow of the player he was a few seasons ago, but I think he could come good again with the right player next to him in midfield.

Surprise - Bellerin keeps getting better, probably not yet the top tier RB his team of the year selection would suggest, but he's young and he'll get there. Iwobi came from slightly left field and has generally looked good. Again, not quite there yet but looks promising. Elneny has fit in quite comfortably and should be a good squad player for us looking forward. No major surprises though. Negatively, perhaps the performances of Sanchez at the start of the season but I think he was just tired and frustrated, as he was a little figured out on the left wing. Since he's moved to the right he's looked much better.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Best - Coutinho. Just needs to add more consistency to his game and, contrary to many views on here, he would be one of the best in the league in his position.

Worst - Mignolet or Skrtel. Neither are a credit to the defence, and we will ship far less if they were replaced or demoted in the summer. Mignolet would make a decent second choice, Skrtel for injury emergencies only, although I suspect Klopp sees him that way already.

Surprise - A couple of candidates here, including Milner and Lovren but I'm going for Lallana. Arguably been our best player since the new year, I was ready to give up on him before Klopp arrived but the German seems to have injected a new lease of life into him. Also, his fitness has improved.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
Best - Clyne. Consistent, reliable, solid and provides an outlet. Just plain good at his job. The kind of player we haven't got enough of over recent years. Great signing.

Worst - Mignolet. Single-handedly responsible for costing us league places through his mistakes or shit attempts at doing his job. This season, if you've got a shot on target against us the first one is likely to be scored. Judging off previous years he's a better keeper than he's shown this season, but improving on him is an absolute must.

Surprise - Stewart. Thought he'd get a run out v Exeter because of the injury crisis never to be seen of again, he was basically brought in as a placeholder for the u21s. But he's hardly harmed his chances of a squad role going forward, certainly shown he can forge a career at a higher level than basically everyone of us thought. Completely unexpected.

Anon

Reaction score
Supports
Nothing
Best - Payet. Proven to be a top class midfielder, in his prime, at a snip. The icing on the cake and complete antidote to the Allardyce era for a fitting thrilling final season at Upton Park.

Worst - Song can't get fit in two years, so he'll be back to Barcelona (or freed). Moses started superbly but has since been rubbish, so he'll find another midtable Prem loan club next year. Jenkinson did well last year, but started badly this season and then injured himself a few mins after giving away a penalty vs Man City, all within ten minutes. As those were loans though, worst player that we expected more from was probably Valencia - showed sparks of form when up top with a fit Sakho, but disappears from games when we're not playing that way and we'll not recoup the £12.5m spent.

Surprise - Noble. Thought to be the weak link before the season started, but he's had the season of his life. Maybe he realised he needed to raise his game as he had one of Song/Obiang/Poyet sniffing around his CM positions, or perhaps he's one of those players who plays better when better players are around him. A bad joke he didn't get a sniff from Hodgson all year given some of the central midfielders that did get included for Euro 2016. Oh and he's a penalty taker too.

Markface

Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
Best: Howson. Has been a consistent force in our midfield this season (and seasons prior). Little worried there might be some interest in him now. Honourable mention to Brady, particularly when played up on the wing provided chances, but they proved a little moot considering our ability to profit on chances this season.

Worst: I know Bassong is the easy choice but I think Jerome has been worse. Wasteful in good opportunities pretty much sums up all the bad luck we had this season.

Surprise: Wesley. Always been rated highly, but I thought he might begin to fade away from first team responsibilities given his age. But nope, still a handful of assists and ability to open up play constantly. If he was able to feed the ball to someone decent up front then we may have been safe.

Bilo

Reaction score
Supports
Women writing about women
I looked through my squad-preview for this, which was a bit funny. Some right, some wrong.

Best:
10. Philippe Coutinho
- Next summer's big sale. This guy is fucking brilliant.
Little more to add. Our best and most influential player, not sure why the rumors aren't all around him.

Worst:
37. Martin Skrtel
- Good. Ok. Like, he's fine. He's not great but he's not poor. Along with Lucas and Flanagan, the only pre-FSG player we've got.
Doesn't need much explanation, does it? I may have slightly overrated him in the review above but even then his form has taken a steep turn for the worse. Will not be seen in a Liverpool shirt again I don't think. But he did have some good times here, was key in our 13/14-season.

Surprise:
23. Emre Can
- If someone can, Emre Can. Honestly, for me, the praise for him has been slightly over the top. Has much to prove, still. Not sure which his best position is.
Origi has already been mentioned, and honorable mentions to Lovren and Pagnell's choice Lallana. So I'm going for Emre Can, not least because I didn't really rate him as highly as many others did after last season. He's been amazing at times under Klopp though, and next to Henderson that's a very respectable central midfield. Our best central midfielder, now that Lucas has moved to CB.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Doesn't need much explanation, does it? I may have slightly overrated him in the review above but even then his form has taken a steep turn for the worse. Will not be seen in a Liverpool shirt again I don't think. But he did have some good times here, was key in our 13/14-season..

Which, given that we shipped 50 goals, speaks volumes.

shane

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
Best - Coutinho. He's a class act and has found more consistency with contributing more goals and assists this season. You know when he gets the ball that more often than not something is going to happen.
I agree hes been out best player but the idea that "more often than not something is going to happen" when he gets the ball is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion. That sort of comment applies to players like Aguero or Suarez and he isn't close to them at the moment. Hes improved considerably each year and I'm delighted he plays for us but even if we didn't get CL, I doubt the rest of Europe would be licking their licks at the possibility of signing him. Saying that, I could see that changing in a year or two if he continues on the same trajectory as there is definitely potential for him to go to the next level.

Surprise - Stewart. Thought he'd get a run out v Exeter because of the injury crisis never to be seen of again, he was basically brought in as a placeholder for the u21s. But he's hardly harmed his chances of a squad role going forward, certainly shown he can forge a career at a higher level than basically everyone of us thought. Completely unexpected.
You're watching a different player to me. He doesn't do much else but pass sideways and seems afraid to run with the ball. We currently have 5 "starting" CMs in Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen and Milner and have Grujic coming in the Summer. I'd be surprised if he wasn't loaned or sold this Summer.

To answer the question:

Best: Coutinho for many of the reasons listed above.

Worst: Mignolet. I don't think hes as bad as many make out but he isn't a keeper that you win the league with. Happy to keep him in the squad provided we sign a new number 1.

Suprise: Emre Can. As someone said above, I'm still not sure what his best position is but hes improved through out the season and its a joy to watch him giving it everything in each game. Honourable mention to Lallana whos finally convinced me hes worth keeping.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
Which, given that we shipped 50 goals, speaks volumes.

Won our POTY in 11/12 (not that he was imo) and in hindsight we should've taken the offer from City for him back then.

You're watching a different player to me. He doesn't do much else but pass sideways and seems afraid to run with the ball. We currently have 5 "starting" CMs in Henderson, Can, Lucas, Allen and Milner and have Grujic coming in the Summer. I'd be surprised if he wasn't loaned or sold this Summer.

Not his role, he's in the team to be a neat & tidy DM and he's doing a reasonable job of it. Telling that he's chosen over Lucas in mid now, we have two other CBs he could choose ahead of Stewart to keep Lucas in mid when he rotates (Ilori & Caulker) but Klopp hasn't.

Not that I think he's anything special, but it said surprise of the season, and Stewart even being used in the first team squad is by far the biggest surprise for me. The likes of Can, Lallana & Lovren chosen here have all shown in the past they're very good players, or have performed very well.

I'm not sure how anyone's selecting Coutinho as our best player this season. He's come up with some big goals, but others have been consistently better than him.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
I'm not sure how anyone's selecting Coutinho as our best player this season. He's come up with some big goals, but others have been consistently better than him.

I was equally surprised with you choosing Clyne. He's done reasonably well given that it's his first season, but has been a bit ropey on occasion, both defensively and leaving the flanks open too often when joining in the attack. I've got a lot of expectation for him and I predict he'll be a first choice England and Liverpool full back for years to come, but he wasn't on my shortlist.

Bilo

Reaction score
Supports
Women writing about women
He's good, but he offers incredibly little going forward. He hasn't managed a single assist in the Premier League this season. While it is forgivable for a full back (especially considering how often Moreno ventures forward), it's certainly a weakness of his and one you'd look to improve upon.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
I was equally surprised with you choosing Clyne. He's done reasonably well given that it's his first season, but has been a bit ropey on occasion, both defensively and leaving the flanks open too often when joining in the attack. I've got a lot of expectation for him and I predict he'll be a first choice England and Liverpool full back for years to come, but he wasn't on my shortlist.

Aye, he's had some games where he's fallen below what one would expect, but otherwise he's been our only real player over the entirety of the season to consistently put in decent-to-excellent performances. He has room to improve, particularly in attack, but otherwise he's at least been up there with our best performers.

Phil for me has had far too many games where he's been very underwhelming, at times anonymous, the game has bypassed him or has tried to do far too much by himself and we have those games with him cutting inside and having 40 shots whistling high and wide. When he's been good he's been exceptional, dictated games, scored impressive goals and he's a prodigiously gifted player (unsurprisingly moreso than many on here would have you believe), but over the course of a season I think you have to give the best player to the ones who do it most consistently, which is all he's lacking. I'd have had a few ahead of him, maybe a bit harshly.

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
Best: Fernandinho is a lot of people's choice for POTY. He's quietly gone about his business and generally done it very well. KDB has also been imprBut for injury Aguero would have smashed the golden boot into the stratosphere this season, but there we are.

Worst: MDM. A surprisingly bad campaign from a guy who is still an Agentina international. Wasn't supposed to be a regular but should have performed better. Most people would put Bony in here but I feel a bit sorry for him. He seems to be a player who needs a run of games rather than dropping in and out. He had one run last season and was a regular for a couple of months and got 8 in 14 which isn't that bad a return. Sterling is also being painted as a flop, but he's hit double figures from the wing and had a handful of assists. His best games came in the CL.

Surprise: Due to form and injury not many City players did better than expected this season. Most City fans knew that Iheanacho had a lot of promise, but the way he's scored almost whenever he's been given a chance in the side has been fantastic. Real shame he didn't play a bit more often, but we'll never know if him being used sparingly has helped him perform when he's had a chance.

CharlieAdamno1Fan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City fc
Best - Alserwierd (spurs) defensive and got got goals

Worst - Chelsea- Man City - Aston Villa squads.
Player performance wise has to be Sterling or Toure.

Surprise leciester squad mainly Fuchs, Mahrez and Vardy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!