Bristol City vs Brentford

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Blimey MagicBee, your right back (bald bloke) must have thought it was Xmas as Joe Bryan had him on toast before the red!
You've got a decent side there to be fair.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Well, fuck me. I'm incredibly annoyed. Cotterill-esque bitter rant inbound.

Start with the positives; first 35 minutes we were absolutely superb. You can throw any adjective at it, but we were fantastic. We played at a pace, exploiting the wingbacks, also with some fantastically classy play in the middle. Went 1-0 up early, Kodija. Wow, that boy has potential. He's got it all going for him - pace, physicality, height, and most importantly, a determination and willingness to put himself about. My description of him today was a 'busier JET'. All was going well, we were creating chances at will, we could have been 2 or 3 up before they even ventured into our own box. Kodija missed a one on one (admittedly, the defender tracking back did superbly to get a tackle in) and Wilbraham dragged wide from 6 yards. Then - out of nothing, much like the second goal at Wednesday, they hit us on the break out of absolutely nothing, caught Ayling out of position venturing forward and pressing high and got punished. 1-1, alright, but we were still dominating the ball and the game. We had a few chances, Wilbraham forced 2 saves out of Button, it was inevitable the 2nd was coming, and it did, Wilbraham from a corner.

In that 12 minute period between the 23rd to 35th minute, we absolutely penned them. They were camped in their half, attacks were coming at them left, right and centre, we were moving the ball quickly, and getting numbers forward. Kodija blazed over from 12 yards, and Bryan put 2 across the goal-line that only needed the finishing touch. Then came the sending off. Well - I've yet to see a replay, but it looked like a fucking disgraceful decision. Ball came over Freeman's head, he brought up his leg to bring it down, in come flying Dean(?) and Freeman caught him. Absolutely no intentions, eyes only for the ball, and he had no clue he was there. Absolutely ridiculous decision from where I was looking at it. Best part is - the referee was literally all of 2 yards away, yet he went over and consulted with his assistant who was up the other end of the pitch. Laughable. In interview - Cotterill said that the assistant didn't think red card anyway, so why the referee went over to him in the first place I have no idea in all honesty. Dean was playing dead until the red card went in the air, and then seconds after he got up, and was knocking about fine, laughing and joking with his team-mates, probably sharing a joke over the con that he had just pulled off on the referee.

Then came their 2nd, inevitable really, was going to happen, wasn't really too upset about that. Shit timing though, just before half time, which was a bit of a blow. 2nd half, we came out, change of shape, 4-2-2-1 it looked like, with Wilbraham playing in midfield.. (don't ask). To be fair, he did well, and we were playing some good counter-attacking football, but Brentford were seeing the majority of the ball. Kodija was playing upfront, and we caught them light at the back on the break, Kodija ran from in his own half and made their centre half look Sunday League standard, before being absolutely hurled to the ground, but of course, the referee took no action. Plain and simply an idiot.

Then came the inevitable, goals. They had a man over left and right, were spreading the play well and expanding the pitch, and we got undone by a runner coming into the box late, to which Gray finished nicely. Then the 4th came, and I left. Not out of anger at the team, simply out of anger at the referee.

I looked over to my mate at half-time and said to him 'if Gayle is here today, he'll be licking his lips with the amount we're creating' and in all honesty, with him in the side, we'd have won with relative ease. As it is though, Gayle isn't coming here. Cotterill all but confirmed the inevitable, fine by me. Take the money elsewhere, no point in splashing out on a player that quite obviously isn't interested. Sensible decisions all round.

In Cotterill's interview, he lost it with the reporter. No complaints from me, at least we share the same passion. The reporter was asking ridiculous questions about the referee and Gayle situation.

In summary - if we play like we did in the first 35 minutes all season, we'll be up there. Hard to judge after the Freeman sending off, for obvious reasons.

Sorry to bore you all, and I'm sure that no-one will still be reading this, but I needed to get it off my chest.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
The red card is obviously the major talking point and in all honesty, I would have wanted a red if it was the other way around. It absolutely killed a cracking game though.
Pre sending off I thought we looked pretty good and probably should have been further ahead but tosser Stroud killed us.
No issues at all with Brentford winning, they took advantage of the extra man extremely well and Andre Grey looks a very good player.
I hope Keith bastard Stroud is eaten by man eating flies and suffers for a very long time, wanker!! I wanted to watch football not you frigging dozy useless cnut!!
EDIT: Maybe Wilbs did catch their bloke with his elbow then!
11889660_986528911398851_350524715009104882_n.jpg

OUCH!!
Shame he wasn't pretty then, or it might have messed his face up.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC

Start with the positives; first 35 minutes we were absolutely superb. You can throw any adjective at it, but we were fantastic. We played at a pace, exploiting the wingbacks, also with some fantastically classy play in the middle. Went 1-0 up early, Kodija. Wow, that boy has potential. He's got it all going for him - pace, physicality, height, and most importantly, a determination and willingness to put himself about. My description of him today was a 'busier JET'. All was going well, we were creating chances at will, we could have been 2 or 3 up before they even ventured into our own box. Kodija missed a one on one (admittedly, the defender tracking back did superbly to get a tackle in) and Wilbraham dragged wide from 6 yards. Then - out of nothing, much like the second goal at Wednesday, they hit us on the break out of absolutely nothing, caught Ayling out of position venturing forward and pressing high and got punished. 1-1, alright, but we were still dominating the ball and the game. We had a few chances, Wilbraham forced 2 saves out of Button, it was inevitable the 2nd was coming, and it did, Wilbraham from a corner.

In that 12 minute period between the 23rd to 35th minute, we absolutely penned them. They were camped in their half, attacks were coming at them left, right and centre, we were moving the ball quickly, and getting numbers forward. Kodija blazed over from 12 yards, and Bryan put 2 across the goal-line that only needed the finishing touch. Then came the sending off. Well - I've yet to see a replay, but it looked like a fucking disgraceful decision. Ball came over Freeman's head, he brought up his leg to bring it down, in come flying Dean(?) and Freeman caught him. Absolutely no intentions, eyes only for the ball, and he had no clue he was there. Absolutely ridiculous decision from where I was looking at it. Best part is - the referee was literally all of 2 yards away, yet he went over and consulted with his assistant who was up the other end of the pitch. Laughable. In interview - Cotterill said that the assistant didn't think red card anyway, so why the referee went over to him in the first place I have no idea in all honesty. Dean was playing dead until the red card went in the air, and then seconds after he got up, and was knocking about fine, laughing and joking with his team-mates, probably sharing a joke over the con that he had just pulled off on the referee.

Then came their 2nd, inevitable really, was going to happen, wasn't really too upset about that. Shit timing though, just before half time, which was a bit of a blow. 2nd half, we came out, change of shape, 4-2-2-1 it looked like, with Wilbraham playing in midfield.. (don't ask). To be fair, he did well, and we were playing some good counter-attacking football, but Brentford were seeing the majority of the ball. Kodija was playing upfront, and we caught them light at the back on the break, Kodija ran from in his own half and made their centre half look Sunday League standard, before being absolutely hurled to the ground, but of course, the referee took no action. Plain and simply an idiot.

Then came the inevitable, goals. They had a man over left and right, were spreading the play well and expanding the pitch, and we got undone by a runner coming into the box late, to which Gray finished nicely. Then the 4th came, and I left. Not out of anger at the team, simply out of anger at the referee.

I looked over to my mate at half-time and said to him 'if Gayle is here today, he'll be licking his lips with the amount we're creating' and in all honesty, with him in the side, we'd have won with relative ease. As it is though, Gayle isn't coming here. Cotterill all but confirmed the inevitable, fine by me. Take the money elsewhere, no point in splashing out on a player that quite obviously isn't interested. Sensible decisions all round.

In Cotterill's interview, he lost it with the reporter. No complaints from me, at least we share the same passion. The reporter was asking ridiculous questions about the referee and Gayle situation.

In summary - if we play like we did in the first 35 minutes all season, we'll be up there. Hard to judge after the Freeman sending off, for obvious reasons.

Sorry to bore you all, and I'm sure that no-one will still be reading this, but I needed to get it off my chest.

I can't disagree with 1 word of that JJH apart from the fact I would have wanted a red if it was the other way around although it was extremely harsh on LF. Keith Stroud is a frigging disgrace, odious little shit!!
Does LF's ban start immediately or can we appeal meaning he can play against Leeds?

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I can't disagree with 1 word of that JJH apart from the fact I would have wanted a red if it was the other way around although it was extremely harsh on LF. Keith Stroud is a frigging disgrace, odious little shit!!
Does LF's ban start immediately or can we appeal meaning he can play against Leeds?
I believe it'll need to be rescinded for him to be available vs Leeds. I'm sure Cotterill will be onto the FA first thing Monday morning.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Blimey MagicBee, your right back (bald bloke) must have thought it was Xmas as Joe Bryan had him on toast before the red!

Agreed, he was shite and nearly all of our play was going through him. In all honesty though Joe's attitude really annoyed me after the red. He didn't seem interested at all.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Agreed, he was shite and nearly all of our play was going through him. In all honesty though Joe's attitude really annoyed me after the red. He didn't seem interested at all.
Or he was instructed not to go forward as much, otherwise it would have been 6 or 7, not just 4.

MagpieBee

Reaction score
Supports
Brentford, Newcastle, Chicago Bears
Yeah, that's Macca. Love the bloke but he can be found out in that position a bit too much at Championship level.

TTOCS

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Dean cheated.

Kodjia fantastic, dont need a £6m striker with him around.

Criticism mounting on overrated Freeman.

Aaron-Bcfc

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Or he was instructed not to go forward as much, otherwise it would have been 6 or 7, not just 4.

Not that JJH I understood why he wasn't bombing forward, but at 4-2 down I counted 3 or 4 times when he didn't make an honest attempt to get to the ball first.

zanderpne

Reaction score
Supports
Preston
Never rated Coterill as a manager. Think he'll be the first one to be sacked this season.

MagpieBee

Reaction score
Supports

Wasn't at the game unfortunately, not in the country, but was listening to commentary and following online, and when we scored to make it 1-1 we had 70% possession and had had 4 shots to your 1, so it hardly sounds like it was out of nothing?

Fair play to you guys though, from then to the red card sounds like you guys were fantastic.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Not that JJH I understood why he wasn't bombing forward, but at 4-2 down I counted 3 or 4 times when he didn't make an honest attempt to get to the ball first.
I can't say I noticed that mate, not that I was looking at JB particularly. I just took it that he was told to 'hold' rather than bomb on as he normally does. He certainly doesn't come across as the petulant type.
As for TTOCS and 'mounting criticism of LF', very harsh mate, very harsh indeed WTGR.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Wasn't at the game unfortunately, not in the country, but was listening to commentary and following online, and when we scored to make it 1-1 we had 70% possession and had had 4 shots to your 1, so it hardly sounds like it was out of nothing?

Fair play to you guys though, from then to the red card sounds like you guys were fantastic.
We were absolutely all over you, believe me. More so when you equalized for 1-1, but for the first 35 minutes it was one sided.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Never rated Coterill as a manager. Think he'll be the first one to be sacked this season.
I'd be amazed if this was the case. He has the fans full backing after a painful summer that has not been down to him.

Criticism mounting on overrated Freeman.
Lol. Just lol.

toshj

Reaction score
Supports
Brentford

It wasn't really out of nothing, we had a fair bit of possession and even share of the territory, but whenever City attacked they seemed to cut straight through us with ease. Obviously Bristol City have more experience than us at this level, but something we learned quickly last year is that you desperately need to take your chances at this level, and fortunately for us today City were wasteful.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Obviously Bristol City have more experience than us at this level, but something we learned quickly last year is that you desperately need to take your chances at this level, and fortunately for us today City were wasteful.
Agree with that. If we'd have had that Gray kiddy (not that I want him for £9m) in our team today, we'd have won with ease.

But - Kodija was getting in the right positions, he took his goal well, and the finishing will come.

zanderpne

Reaction score
Supports
Preston
I'd be amazed if this was the case. He has the fans full backing after a painful summer that has not been down to him.

Lol. Just lol.

Fair play, I just don't fancy him at championship level for some reason.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Brentford fans coming onto our forum saying that they have far more to worry about than we do basically sums up the game.

We'll be fine if we perform like that week in, week out.

Although - one thing I will say. 3-5-2 works at home, because you're expected to be attacking, and the opposition naturally sit deeper. Away from home, I'm certain we'll get exposed. I think doing what Preston did last season whereby they change formation away from home should be a consideration for Cotterill.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
It wasn't really out of nothing, we had a fair bit of possession and even share of the territory, but whenever City attacked they seemed to cut straight through us with ease. Obviously Bristol City have more experience than us at this level, but something we learned quickly last year is that you desperately need to take your chances at this level, and fortunately for us today City were wasteful.
You are taking the piss aren't you? Our team have hardly any Championship experience between them!
-PAXP-deijE.gif

-PAXP-deijE.gif

-PAXP-deijE.gif

BCFC Jordan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
How have we managed to fuck up our momentum from last season so badly? It's already feeling like such a missed opportunity. What a mess.

Without Freeman for three games now, too. I fear for us - unless we can do some serious transfer business very, very quickly.

toshj

Reaction score
Supports
Brentford
before being absolutely hurled to the ground, but of course, the referee took no action. Plain and simply an idiot.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think your comment here may be the blindness of an enraged fan. Bristol City fans were baying for blood at every challenge by a Brentford player after the red card. This particular challenge you mentioned was 100% fine, completely got the ball and it was fine. But as aggrieved fans tend to when they're unhappy with the ref, they think everything is going against them. To be honest I thought you had more of a penalty shout later in the game.

Stroud is an awful referee, we've had him go against us loads of times and he's phenominally frustrating. That said, Dean got studded in the face! It looked accidental but it was a horrible challenge, even most of the posters on OTIB think it was a sending off. Also thought Wilbraham was lucky to stay on the pitch after that elbow on Tarkowski... seeing as he broke the guys nose!

TractorBoys

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Ipswich Town
How have we managed to fuck up our momentum from last season so badly? It's already feeling like such a missed opportunity. What a mess.

Without Freeman for three games now, too. I fear for us - unless we can do some serious transfer business very, very quickly.

Not baiting you here, but what were you expecting your momentum to achieve?

IMO (and it's only my opinion!) away to Sheff Wed and home to Brentford would have played out exactly like it has, two defeats.

Admittedly Luton result is a suckerpunch and could have been used a platform for today had you won.

MagpieBee

Reaction score
Supports
Agree with that. If we'd have had that Gray kiddy (not that I want him for £9m) in our team today, we'd have won with ease.

But - Kodija was getting in the right positions, he took his goal well, and the finishing will come.
Believe me, Gray normally is anything but clinical. He does seem to have gotten a lot better in this respect over the summer.

Our main failings last year were not taking chances and being too easy to hit on the counter attack. We've addressed the first part to a certain extent by adding new players up front, but at the same time we've lost a lot of our creative players through sales / loans ending (Pritchard, Dallas) and injuries (McEachran, Jota). Counter attacking weakness was meant to be addressed by signing KK and Bjelland, but Bjelland is out for the season and we sold Odubajo, so we again look a bit weaker in this area if anything.

Our first XI if all fit looks much stronger than last year, but we are nowhere near that point at the moment.

City169

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
I think that it's likely he isn't 100% fit still

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think your comment here may be the blindness of an enraged fan. Bristol City fans were baying for blood at every challenge by a Brentford player after the red card. This particular challenge you mentioned was 100% fine, completely got the ball and it was fine. But as aggrieved fans tend to when they're unhappy with the ref, they think everything is going against them. To be honest I thought you had more of a penalty shout later in the game.

Stroud is an awful referee, we've had him go against us loads of times and he's phenominally frustrating. That said, Dean got studded in the face! It looked accidental but it was a horrible challenge, even most of the posters on OTIB think it was a sending off. Also thought Wilbraham was lucky to stay on the pitch after that elbow on Tarkowski... seeing as he broke the guys nose!
It looked more like Tarkowski walked into the elbow to be fair, nothing malicious in it.

The penalty shout, we will see tonight, but my initial reaction was stone wall penalty. In all honesty, most of the cheers/jeers were ironic. Them signing 'off off off' after every 50/50 ball weren't in seriousness.

I read your forum yesterday, and I seen a lot of them were annoyed he was refereeing the game, and I agree, he's a shocking referee. I hope he never sets foot in AG again.

City169

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

With wilbs it's seems that tarkowski had been all over him throughout the match, not to mention wilbs was punched in the side during the corner when he scored, or the forearm to the face he got later in the game

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Believe me, Gray normally is anything but clinical. He does seem to have gotten a lot better in this respect over the summer.

Our main failings last year were not taking chances and being too easy to hit on the counter attack. We've addressed the first part to a certain extent by adding new players up front, but at the same time we've lost a lot of our creative players through sales / loans ending (Pritchard, Dallas) and injuries (McEachran, Jota). Counter attacking weakness was meant to be addressed by signing KK and Bjelland, but Bjelland is out for the season and we sold Odubajo, so we again look a bit weaker in this area if anything.

Our first XI if all fit looks much stronger than last year, but we are nowhere near that point at the moment.
Bryan had your right back on toast first half, Odebajo needs replacing IMO, and the bald bloke isn't the answer.

I thought that about Gray, that's why I was happy to dismiss us spending crazy money on Gray, but he was very clinical today. Finished well.

BCFC Jordan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

IMO (and it's only my opinion!) away to Sheff Wed and home to Brentford would have played out exactly like it has, two defeats.

Admittedly Luton result is a suckerpunch and could have been used a platform for today had you won.

I think we could have gone on to finish in the top half had we had a good summer. We've had the complete opposite unfortunately. Let hugely important squad players like JET and Cunningham go, not brought in anyone impressive apart from Kodjia who is still unproven. It's just been a wasted opportunity and a wasted summer pursuing unrealistic targets (up until now). We've done the opposite of what we did last summer and seem to have abandoned the transfer strategy that brought us so much success only a year ago.The mood around the club should have been full of positivty, but I just feel frustrated.

Three losses, nine goals conceded, Freeman out for 3 games, a far worse squad than we had last year. We need to act fast.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City

We'll be fine. It's a big step up, it'll take our players time to adjust, and the signings will come. There's enough there to stay up at the very least, don't press the panic button just yet.

I agree. The momentum argument has stemmed from us finishing the 13/14 season strongly, and then starting like a house on fire in the 14/15 season. It's a completely different kettle of fish in regards to stepping up a league, and we'll take time to find our feet.

Two tough games first up, but we've got another 44 of them to come. There was enough there today to ease some nerves.

Not sure what our fans were expecting this season anyway given the lack of signings so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!