Brizzie Rovers Vs Valiants

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
Can't see a thread for it yet so thought I'd start one.

Looking forward to this game which will be a tough test no doubt, seen if Rovers aren't exactly high flying at this moment in time. They have lost the same amount of games as we have, which is two, so are obviously a somewhat difficult side to beat. A good result for them in the last game against Swindon, though it sounded a little fortunate.

As for us, we were excellent against a decent Gillingham side in the 2nd half, but we really do need to start getting out of the blocks a bit quicker as we can't keep on relying on turning games on their head by upping our game for 20 or 30 minutes. Think Bruno will go for something like this -

Alnwick

Purkiss
Streete
Smith
Knops

Jones
Grant
Tavares
Foley
Thomas

Cicilia

I think his goal and performance in a reserve game yesterday might just stick Cicilia's nose in front of Patersen, who hasn't done much for us as of yet. We're very solid everywhere else, with Thomas getting fitter and better by the week and Jones looking a quality goal-scorer at this level., despite not actually playing as a striker most of the time.

P.S, Oops. Is there any way to edit the typo in the title?

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We're starting to gel together as a team and often perform better in the second half as we look significantly fitter than other teams. Our biggest issue at the moment is that we are relying on our home form (100% record), as our away form is poor. Surely it's got to change sometime? We looked excellent second half against Gillingham in the second half and I don't think any team would have lived with us,we just need to keep that intensity up for a whole game and blow teams away before they can settle.

It seems as though Bristol have harboured a false position in the league as they seem to have played pretty well without perhaps getting the rub of the green. They got a bit of luck at Swindon but on their performance apparently deserved it. They appear to have drawn quite a few rather than losing and winning and so they'll be hard to beat. It's always a tough game on Rovers own patch. Taylor is obviously the goal threat and we know about Lines - he has the quality but is getting on in years and was a 1 in 5 good games man at Vale. We also know about Moore, who looks like he should be a good player but doesn't cause any danger (it seems that he isn't playing regularly).

With it being their first season back in this league, you've got to hope that they'll be very up and down in terms of results, and looking at it from our point of view, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get anything out of the game.The rest of the midfield picks itself although Tavares may be replaced by Amoros.

I suspect Cicilia will get the nod and I hope that Jones plays closer to him as he is a natural goalscorer (5 in about 4 games for us). We need to keep ourselves in the game and not concede early doors like we did at Bury. The longer the game goes on at 0-0 the more I'd fancy us to nick it. I'll go for a 1-1 draw, which wouldn't be a disaster with 2 home games coming up.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
Agreed. At home I fancy us to beat anyone at the moment, and when we do have a game where we're at it from the off we're gonna put 4 or 5 past someone sooner rather than later I feel. I'd like to see Amoros in for Tavares, who's looked a bit under par since his recent injury, but when Forrester is back, which is hopefully soon, the first 11 currently picks itself. I do feel like Shalaj will become a key player for us once adjusted to our football but that won't be for a good few weeks yet. Him and Thomas out wide with Jones and Forrester up front at Vale Park which is known for it's size looks pretty tasty!

Monkey

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I can see this being our first away win of the season.

Its nice having confidence in our team again. Lets hope we can keep hold of Jones past January.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Can an admin move this to the main forum?

Need to get something from this and fancy us at the moment to get at least a point. OoZing confidence at the club... what's the catch!

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
The last time I allowed myself to feel very optimistic we got beat 4-1 against a somewhat average Bury side! That said, the elements on that day had a lot to do with it. Everything that cold have wrong that afternoon did, and I look forward to beating them at VP later on in the season.

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
Thread moved back to main forum.

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We'll be really looking forward to this on the back of our win last night.

We feel as though we are a few points shy of the total we deserve to be on for our performances, but regardless of that we are unbeaten in five and can give anyone a really good game. DC surprised us all with his team selection and formation last night so it's impossible to call how we'll line up, though I'd say it was a dead cert that Linesy will start as he has responded really well from being rested a couple of games ago.

Edit: Also, Byron Moore missed the first month and a bit of the season due to injury. He has come in recently and looked really decent, though he was victim of a change in system and last night and didn't feature.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
First thing Bruno should do is tell Grant go through Lines early on, even if it means picking up a yellow. Whenever an opposing player did that when he played for us he'd go missing for the rest of the game. A player with some ability but the mentality of a kitten.

No doubt the cretin will play a blinder on Saturday though! Moore was shocking. He got the odd goal for us but never seemed to try and beat a defender, despite having pace. Was so glad he went in the summer.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
Any chance an admin can stick a t in 'Valians' too so I can stop cringing every time I see it? :ffs:

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
First thing Bruno should do is tell Grant go through Lines early on, even if it means picking up a yellow. Whenever an opposing player did that when he played for us he'd go missing for the rest of the game. A player with some ability but the mentality of a kitten.

No doubt the cretin will play a blinder on Saturday though! Moore was shocking. He got the odd goal for us but never seemed to try and beat a defender, despite having pace. Was so glad he went in the summer.
Clearly they didn't make a good impression on you during their time at Vale then!

It may be because he's a Gashead, but Linesy doesn't play like that for us. He used to drift in and out of games when we had him first time around, but he's matured since then. There are now noticeable differences to his game in that he plays with discipline and an understanding of his defensive duties, though it doesn't come at the expense of what he's good at (running with the ball, passing).

In Moore's first game he looked very keen to get forward as quickly as possible and get a ball in the box, while in his second appearance he was very disciplined and did a great job defensively. I've liked what I've seen so far.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
Clearly they didn't make a good impression on you during their time at Vale then!

It may be because he's a Gashead, but Linesy doesn't play like that for us. He used to drift in and out of games when we had him first time around, but he's matured since then. There are now noticeable differences to his game in that he plays with discipline and an understanding of his defensive duties, though it doesn't come at the expense of what he's good at (running with the ball, passing).

In Moore's first game he looked very keen to get forward as quickly as possible and get a ball in the box, while in his second appearance he was very disciplined and did a great job defensively. I've liked what I've seen so far.

Lines clearly had the ability and had his odd game for us when he was the best player on the pitch. But the problem was for every good game he had, he'd have 4 or 5 where he was a passenger and just didn't look bothered. Playing for his boyhood club means that he probably gives something near to his all for you much more than he did for us. But I don't miss him and he would struggle to get in ahead of Grant and Foley if he was still at our club.

Moore I was clearly never a fan of, but some thought he was more useful than myself. Decent squad player but nothing more. You certainly won't find a single sane Vale fan that would have him ahead of Jerome Thomas.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale

There's undoubted ability with Moore, at one point when he was with Crewe he was touted for the very top of the game. He just lacks that real drive and aggression that the very top players possess. He did alright at times when coming on as a sub but more often than not he tends to play the safe option and somewhere along the line he's become scared of his own shadow - not one you'd want alongside you in a battle.

Lines was an undoubted talent as well, had one or two games where he looked a cut above and scored a tremendous free kick for us once. Was good at bringing the ball from deep in midfield and driving forward Other than that he wasn't one for a battle or rolling up his sleeves if things didn't go his way, which I guess is why he's spent a lot of his career at a lower level. The best players work there way through a game and make an impact even if it hasn't gone well. Like you say though, perhaps because he is a Bristol Rovers fan, he fits at your club and works hard for you. Can't help but feel his best days are behind him but he'll probably have a stormer now!

On to the game, I hate feeling confident about the Vale as it's usually when things go tits up. I felt confident before the Bury game the other week and we ended up getting stuffed. It's been a problem of ours that every time expectations are raised or there's an increase in crowds, we are brilliant at deflating the balloon. I just hope that we've turned a corner with the Peterborough away game and learnt that sometimes away from home you've got to play a bit scruffy and not try and play in the expansive way that we do at home.

Keep it tight and as the game wears on I hope our fitness and quality shine through. Would still snatch your hand off for a draw though! Newly promoted teams can be dangerous as there is no real expectation in the first season and so they often play with freedom.

GasAttacK

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We've only lost 1 game at home in the last 10 months and are unbeaten in our last 5 matches in L1 so I'd expect us to be able to give promotion chasing Vale a good game.

Win on Saturday and we're only 1 point behind them and there is no reason to think we can't achieve that. Vale don't have a great away record with 2 draws and 2 losses from their 4 games.

From what Vale fans have said they usually grow stronger as the game goes on but the same could definitely be said for us so it should be a good battle.

I'm expecting a good game with plenty of attacking football which could go either way.

You can never predict what team or formation DC will go with but Lines has been excellent this season and should be well up for this one so I'd be amazed if he didn't start. If he decides to go 4-4-2 Moore may get a start as well but that's far less certain.

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
I reckon we're going to absolutely flatten Vale. It's coming together and somebody's on for a hiding. Why not Saturday? Lines will have a brilliant game and I expect good things from Moore now he's fit. Would also be nice for Colkett to start.
I have foreseen a 4-1 battering with Taylor getting a hat trick.
UTG.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
I reckon we're going to absolutely flatten Vale. It's coming together and somebody's on for a hiding. Why not Saturday? Lines will have a brilliant game and I expect good things from Moore now he's fit. Would also be nice for Colkett to start.
I have foreseen a 4-1 battering with Taylor getting a hat trick.
UTG.

:brill:

kieran_vale

Reaction score
Supports
Vale / New England Patriots
A little wary about this just based on our recent history of games in that part of the world has often triggered some sort of meltdown at the club. Exeter being the most recent example.

That said I believe in Bruno and this group of players far more than I have previous Vale teams. Not saying we'll hammer them by any stretch but can see us playing well enough to hang in there and maybe getting a positive result of some kind.

Rory

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If Lines fancies it he's class.

Byron Moore has a standout game once every couple of years.

Would take a draw from this but wouldn't be surprised whatever the outcome to be honest. I can't even remember when I last saw us win away.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
If Lines fancies it he's class.

Byron Moore has a standout game once every couple of years.

Would take a draw from this but wouldn't be surprised whatever the outcome to be honest. I can't even remember when I last saw us win away.

I went about 8 times away last season and didn't see us even score a goal! Good old Page!

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I went about 8 times away last season and didn't see us even score a goal! Good old Page!

I just hope Bruno has learnt that you can't play in the same way away from home. You're bound to have less of the ball (unless you're playing someone shite) and you're not going to get as many chances. It's about taking the chances that come your way and then keeping it tight and battling it out.

We've never been very good at the 'professional' side of the game, seeing down the clock, disrupting the play, winning cheap free kicks - we've seen most teams try it at Vale Park and we should really, without cheating, join in on the act.

In terms of giving us a flattening, I don't really see the basis for this based on Bristol's results so far. OK, they've been better than perhaps their results suggest but that's hardly an indication that it's all going to come together and they're going to batter someone. However, they will give us a tough game and I've never fancied us playing there in the past. We've got to win away from home at some time though and we should be full of confidence.

TylerB

Reaction score
Supports
The Valiants
At Vale Park I'd be saying a comfortable 3 points all day long, but it will be a difficult away game tomorrow and we must be at it from the off and not start to play when we're behind.

Would quite happily take a point tomorrow.

Buxton Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Twitter
@Buxtonvale1
I can see us getting all 3 points here as long as we dont do our usual slow start.

1-2 with Jones getting a couple.

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This should make for a really decent game given both sets of supporters fancy their team to get a result.

How many Vale fans do you think will make the trip?

Pirateer

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Well it sounds like both camps are confident and well matched. Rovers are really slow starters but are fit and score a lot of late goals. could be an interesting game or a really really boring one!

bring on the sunshine & the cider!

utg!

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Well it sounds like both camps are confident and well matched. Rovers are really slow starters but are fit and score a lot of late goals. could be an interesting game or a really really boring one!

bring on the sunshine & the cider!

utg!

Could be a fun last few minutes then! 2 late goals Saturday to turn it around and a 94th minute equaliser at Posh the week before. This is the most talented Vale side we've had since 03/04 (maybe even better than that) and we are technically very good with the foreign boys adding to our strong spine but we really need to turn it on away from home to really do something special this season. 12 and out 12 plus a cup win at home, compared to 2 in 12 points away and a cup defeat at Carlisle and this needs to be addressed before becoming a big Achilles heel.

leedsvaliant

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
This should make for a really decent game given both sets of supporters fancy their team to get a result.

How many Vale fans do you think will make the trip?
I'd imagine 5-600. Historically we do not travel well if the journey is more than an hour or so but Bristol is a great city and a cracking day out, so that might persuade a few more.

Probably going to be a shite game now after all this positivity.

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
I'd imagine 5-600. Historically we do not travel well if the journey is more than an hour or so but Bristol is a great city and a cracking day out, so that might persuade a few more.

Probably going to be a shite game now after all this positivity.

We always seemed to play Rovers on a Tuesday night away! Both times I went were Tuesdays so may add a few more being a first trip on Saturday for a long time down there. Grounds obviously not top level facility wise but a good away day and decent atmosphere even when we won 3-0 there a few years back from their fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!