Clubs in this league in size order

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
So they are really unsuccessful and get poor gates and they are somehow a big club?

We have a decent history and a big fanbase, many of whom are in hiding due to the reasons mentioned above.

Half my family and friends no longer go to the games each week, but I am certain they would be back with some chance of success. A few years ago I used to have a go at them for being fickle but it has got to the stage where I cannot blame anyone for not wasting money on the club.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Not been in the PL since 2001 so anyone under 23-24 is unlikely to remember very much if any of that.
Since then they have been relegated (twice if you include the PL relegation) and finished in the top half twice. Plus only been past the 4th round of either cup competition twice too. Hardly thrilling stuff is it?

Quite depressing and boring tbf. Laughable.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not been in the PL since 2001 so anyone under 23-24 is unlikely to remember very much if any of that.
Since then they have been relegated (twice if you include the PL relegation) and finished in the top half twice. Plus only been past the 4th round of either cup competition twice too. Hardly thrilling stuff is it?
I'm sorry I'm not buying this line. Who cares if anyone under 24 doesn't remember the PL? The fact is that they probably would have been taken as children in the PL to games from a young age anyway and what, when they turned 10 they turned to their parents and said, "Oh we're not in the PL, well don't ever take me again"?

What about all the other people over 24? Are there only 12,000 people over 24 in the entire of Coventry? I'm sorry, if you can attract 25,000 for a home game if you're challenging but only get 12,000 if you're not, this isn't sleeping giant, that's crap support. Attendances can double for a huge 1 off game, fair enough, but week in week out? That's poor form.

I don't buy this crap of there being no success at all either. Sure, doing well makes a difference in crowds, but it shouldn't turn away 13,000 (minimum) of them week in week out. Yes Coventry have potential and are a decent sized club, but IMO, their support is terrible.

This line of look how much success Pompey have had is laughable. They had some success and the FA cup and nearly lost their club and spiraled close to NL. Yet they will got 15,000 week in week out. And when they are doing well this season? They still got 16,000. Now that's support.

Reactions: JJH

GEORGE

Bristol Rovers
Reaction score
Supports
bristol rovers
I remember Cov City in the third div in the 60's -- Always brought tremendous support to Eastville . I remember seeing that "Sky Blue train "

Muzzle

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Can someone remind me of the criteria for this

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Not really talking shit just don't beleive these Coventry delusions of grandeur, since I started watching football Cov have always struggled in the championship and finally got relegated to L1 and now get 10k home fans in a 1/3 full ground. Hardly screms massive club does it.

So you've been watching football for about 10-12 years.

I like how anything that defines a big club only counts from the day you started watching football too. We'll just ignore their years in the PL and their FA cup win.

UTS

Reaction score
Supports
Bury

I like how anything that defines a big club only counts from the day you started watching football too. We'll just ignore their years in the PL and their FA cup win.

Isn't this thread about perceptions though? Since I've followed football Coventry have done fuck all and haven't been an overly well supported club therefore I don't see them as big as some make them out to be, big club for L1 sure, but that's where it stops for me. Bury also used to be a big club before WW1, but you weren't watching football then so you wouldn't know... Same logic really

Just looked at that website, Coventrys highest average attendance in the last 40 years is 21,180. That obviously includes the PL years and an average of about 2000 away fans. In your new stadium that would still leave 12000 empty seats. Wigan were getting more than that in the prem ffs. Wolves averaged more in L1. Case closed.

Last edited:

Bobbin'

Reaction score
Supports
Charlton
Isn't this thread about perceptions though? Since I've followed football Coventry have done fuck all and haven't been an overly well supported club therefore I don't see them as big as some make them out to be, big club for L1 sure, but that's where it stops for me. Bury also used to be a big club before WW1, but you weren't watching football then so you wouldn't know... Same logic really

Just looked at that website, Coventrys highest average attendance in the last 40 years is 21,180. That obviously includes the PL years and an average of about 2000 away fans. In your new stadium that would still leave 12000 empty seats. Wigan were getting more than that in the prem ffs. Wolves averaged more in L1. Case closed.

I think Coventry's stint in the PL and their FA cup win is far more recent than early 20th century.

I'm not sure that the case is closed just because you worked out that Wolves are a bigger club than Coventry, I think most could have told you that at the beginning of this thread.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Coventry aren't a big club don't get me wrong they have support potential as do bristol city but neither can sustain the support levels through thick and thin, it's no good being able to rally 40,000 fans together for the odd game and then getting sub 10k crowds that in my eyes is shit support. However most cov fans won't claim to be a big club they're still 2nd on the list in this league though.

The Reverend Skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
The mighty Skyblues
Without a new owner ,Cov simply will never reach its potential.
There simply is too much hatred of them, why oh why did they take the team out of its city, people will never forgive them for that.
Even a successful promotion push next season wouldn't fill the stadium, so until they go we will be medium sized club at most, top four in this league yes but mid to lower in the league above.
I think our away support will continue to grow though, I actually prefer to go away as it's simply about enjoying the football day out, and none of the politics involved with going to the Ricoh.
I can see SISU going after the result and verdict of there legal case against the council, it should be in this summer so I'm crossing my fingers they at last they realise they are flogging a dead horse and decide to go back to where they came from.
Question is could they find a buyer, I think there is someone out there who would take the chance, do a deal with Wasps for better terms long term then invest in the team. We have no stadium costs bar rent, all ongoing costs are wasps, so get a decent match day deal then get in the Championship/ Prem and the club will be profitable

Steve Logan

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Cov have a hardcore support who have stuck with them through thick and thin but they also have a huge floating support who are only interested when they sniff success, that is very very rare, we can shift thousands of tickets when drawn away to man u in carling cup for example we took nearly 12,000 fans which is a record or was until recently. we also had over 31,000 for a jpt game... it is frustrating for everyone that the club cant achieve some sort of success to get people through the gates on a regular basis. shame is supporters cant see that, until we do get larger attendances we cant build the financial resources needed to get out of the league. We have as Cov fans been put through a lot ,more than most but i still go every game i just wish a few more would come back and put bums on seats and help get us at least into the championship..... pusb

Steve Logan

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry

worth pointing out that highfield road only held 23,000 which is where coventry spent the vast majority of their 34 years in the top flight

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
Coventry aren't a big club don't get me wrong they have support potential as do bristol city but neither can sustain the support levels through thick and thin, it's no good being able to rally 40,000 fans together for the odd game and then getting sub 10k crowds that in my eyes is shit support. However most cov fans won't claim to be a big club they're still 2nd on the list in this league though.
Not that I don't agree with you, because believe me I do, but we haven't dipped below 10k since the turn of the millenium and we've spent 9 of those years in L1.

I don't see much potential in Coventry at all. Historically I'd say they're a 'big' club at this level, they've spent years in the top flight and have an FA Cup post WW2 to brag about, but as it stands they average less than us at home, they're at war with their owners, they don't own their ground and their squad without the loanees is pretty awful. There's a lot of potential in both clubs fanbase wise, but I can't see where success is coming next for Coventry with the current state of affairs there.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not that I don't agree with you, because believe me I do, but we haven't dipped below 10k since the turn of the millenium and we've spent 9 of those years in L1.

I don't see much potential in Coventry at all. Historically I'd say they're a 'big' club at this level, they've spent years in the top flight and have an FA Cup post WW2 to brag about, but as it stands they average less than us at home, they're at war with their owners, they don't own their ground and their squad without the loanees is pretty awful. There's a lot of potential in both clubs fanbase wise, but I can't see where success is coming next for Coventry with the current state of affairs there.
Well this is the thing, in my opinion anyway, it is the potential of fans that define a clubs size, rather than trophies and success.

For example Wigan; in the prem for a pretty decent amount of time, along with an FA Cup win. But are they even considered big in the Championship? No.

Also, have to disagree with one Covvo fan about not having enough fans to build the budget to get out of this league, of course that helps, but thats not the reason you're here. Otherwise Buton would have gone straight back down and teams like Sheffield United wouldn't still be here.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
I'm sorry I'm not buying this line. Who cares if anyone under 24 doesn't remember the PL? The fact is that they probably would have been taken as children in the PL to games from a young age anyway and what, when they turned 10 they turned to their parents and said, "Oh we're not in the PL, well don't ever take me again"?

What about all the other people over 24? Are there only 12,000 people over 24 in the entire of Coventry? I'm sorry, if you can attract 25,000 for a home game if you're challenging but only get 12,000 if you're not, this isn't sleeping giant, that's crap support. Attendances can double for a huge 1 off game, fair enough, but week in week out? That's poor form.

I don't buy this crap of there being no success at all either. Sure, doing well makes a difference in crowds, but it shouldn't turn away 13,000 (minimum) of them week in week out. Yes Coventry have potential and are a decent sized club, but IMO, their support is terrible.

This line of look how much success Pompey have had is laughable. They had some success and the FA cup and nearly lost their club and spiraled close to NL. Yet they will got 15,000 week in week out. And when they are doing well this season? They still got 16,000. Now that's support.

They have won an FA Cup and played in Europe in recent times ffs, that means they can attract fans to watch the local team. We have had nothing to attract young fans, absolutely nothing.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City

No potential? FFs, we are a bigger city than Leicester in a ground of 32,000. Ours or not, that allows for potential.

Unlike other clubs who have moved to bigger stadiums, we haven't had the success to create a fan base to fill it. Southampton, Derby, Leicester and Stoke are examples of clubs who have moved to new stadiums and had success.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
No potential? FFs, we are a bigger city than Leicester in a ground of 32,000. Ours or not, that allows for potential.

Unlike other clubs who have moved to bigger stadiums, we haven't had the success to create a fan base to fill it. Southampton, Derby, Leicester and Stoke are examples of clubs who have moved to new stadiums and had success.
As a fanbase, absolutely. Not as a club under SISU's ownership.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united

I wouldn't say derby have had success really.

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
If they were pushing for promotion this year they'd have averaged over 15k I'm sure of it. .

Tbf, even when they were top of the league this season, they still weren't averaging 15000 gates.

The Reverend Skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
The mighty Skyblues
Tbf, even when they were top of the league this season, they still weren't averaging 15000 gates.
To end this topic about Cov, we were top only one week when playing at home.
A sustained push at the top I would say we would pull in 20,000 at the Ricoh regularly..

Let's now talk about another club

Jockney

Reaction score
Supports
Fred Onyedinma
To end this topic about Cov, we were top only one week when playing at home.
A sustained push at the top I would say we would pull in 20,000 at the Ricoh regularly..

Let's now talk about another club

You were winning pretty consistently for about half the season and were in the top six for more than two thirds.

If that doesn't bring back the supporters, I don't know what will?

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
You were winning pretty consistently for about half the season and were in the top six for more than two thirds.

If that doesn't bring back the supporters, I don't know what will?

Yep there's no chance they'd get 20k. I don't even think it looked anywhere near 13k when I went the other week

The Reverend Skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
The mighty Skyblues
All I'm saying is you said we didn't get 20000 when we were top for those weeks, we got 18000 for the only game we were top,.
It's pure conjecture on all our parts because we haven't been top of any league for a prolonged period since 1967 where we did average well over 30000 , but that's when it was mostly standing.
Until we go top two for more than a month no-one knows.

Now about other teams in order of size

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
All I'm saying is you said we didn't get 20000 when we were top for those weeks, we got 18000 for the only game we were top,.
It's pure conjecture on all our parts because we haven't been top of any league for a prolonged period since 1967 where we did average well over 30000 , but that's when it was mostly standing.
Until we go top two for more than a month no-one knows.

Now about other teams in order of size

You got 17,700 on boxing day against Vale who probably took 2k plus. Everyone gets bigger crowds on boxing day. You got 1 other 17k crowd a couple of 15k ones and the majority 11k. You wouldn't average no where near 20k you were challenging the top 2 til February pretty much.

The Reverend Skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
The mighty Skyblues
All I'm am saying in my opinion and for fucks sake let's all move in, with owners that are not sueing the taxpayers of the city, a functioning ticket office as we still haven't even got one of those, a season ticket that can be paid for over ten months as we can't even do this, a team not full of loans,all stadium car parks that are open match days, a train station that was built for the stadium that actually puts on trains matchday times, and owners that are not called SISU I would feel we could average close to my prediction with a team challenging top two.
Now until SISU FO and all the rest falls into place it's my opinion against yours, which both mean sweet FA and its a subject I really hate and I've talked about more in the last couple of days than I have in the rest of my life.
Now about other clubs size compared to others

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
The new biggest club in the division are moving in soon. To give you a hint, they obliterated the league below.

PUSBCCFC

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
I wouldn't say derby have had success really.

They have had stints in the top flight since the opening. The Ricoh opened at the absolutely worst time for us, should have come around 10 years earlier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!