Caracas

Playoff Pot B

Puebla
River Plate Uruguay
Universidad Cesar Vallejo
Independiente del Valle
Huracan
Oriente Petrolero.

My guess for playoff winners is, Sao Paulo, Santa Fe, Huracan, Cesar Vallejo, Racing, Guarani

I'm excited. If I'm correct I won't be able to catch the draw tonight but I'm looking forward to who will draw who.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
As for who I think can win this

Boca are definitely the favourites next year. They have the best team on paper and did win the league in Argentina this year. River Plate are obviously favourites but they have to improve performances + some of their players are leaving like Kranevitter and Carlos Sanchez. My dark horse for this is Cerro Porteno. They got a good manager in Cesar Farias and there are rumours of Arango going there because of Farias. That would be a good transfer. I'm also thinking Emelec will do well again but I doubt they will win it because most of their team revolves around 1 player and that's Miler Bolanos. As for Peruvians, Melgar has the best chance because of altitude although never rule out Cristal.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
In this moment Boca and Corinthians, the respective champions of Argentina and Brazil, seems the strongest to get this title but many things can change until there and other teams can be surprising. I'm curious about how the groups will be composed. Anyway I hope São Paulo to be the champions of Libertadores 2016 (and some luck in the draws too).

Last edited:

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
São Paulo got Cesar Vallejo for the play-offs and if we win it we get into group 1 with River Plate (ARG), The Strongest and Trujillanos. Well, not the easiest but it could be worse like groups 5 and 6 that are very strong.

For the playoffs my guess is São Paulo, Universidad de Chile, Racing, Hurácan, Guaraní and Santa Fé.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
I'm getting more and more excited per day. Last years Libertadores was awful, but this year I reckon it will be good once again. I will obviously be cheering on the Peruvians but I would also like to see Palmeiras put on a fight. I quite like the squad they have. Valdivia and Barrios are both very good players for South American club standard

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
Valdívia just left Palmeiras to Al Wahda. And actually many stuff changed on the teams since their classifications, I was seeing Corinthians very strong for this competition but China teams practically bought all their main squad and now they're obligated to do some restructuring.

Yesterday the matches to pick the last components of each groups started. I was expecting more from Hurácan as they were playing at home despite the victory but is normal to hold on until the second match. And thought River Plate from Uruguay vs. Univ. Chile would be a "harder" confront but River got the advantage for next match, anyway everything can change.

Today there's César Vallejo vs. São Paulo. As much as I'd like São Paulo getting a good advantage to the next match I think this first game probably will be more closed and we'll let the decision and playing more offensively on the return game where we play home.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
NOOOOOO Valdivia left Palmeiras!? :mad:

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Loved seeing Gonzalo Jara getting booed by the local Uruguayans as well :lol:

Cesar Vallejo should put up a fight but this Sao Paulo side still has a lot more quality. Pato is gone so that should make things easier. Cesar Vallejo should exploit Lugano. He's an absolute liability.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Poor Caracas. 2-0 up, with only stoppage time to see them through to the groups and Huracan score eliminating them on away goals.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
Yeah, a suffered classification to Huracán even more with Caracas doing better.

I wasn't able to see much of other matches but happy that São Paulo got into the group phases. We just have to improve the creation of goal chances that seemed the biggest problem in both matches because Cesar Vallejo yesterday practically gave a vacation day to our keeper and didn't offer danger anyway we only found the goal on the last minutes and even missed a penalty.

Last edited:

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Horrible news as to what happened to the Huracan bus. Thankfully not too many injuries though, however I fear for Toranzo.

Racing and Sao Paulo through yesterday.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Quite a story in Paraguay. Guarani looked all doomed after Independiente Del Valle's equalizers, but Guarani scores a goal 10 minutes before the end to have a chance. At the very last minute, Del Valle conceded a penalty. this happened...

Del Valle are through eliminating the prior semi-finalists in 2015. Quite a shock to be honest.

Santa Fe are also through but we knew that after they won the first leg.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
What a stroke of luck of Indepiendente this penalty missed for Guaraní on the last minute.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
I'm glad I stopped watching the Santa Fe - Cerro game. I knew it was going to end 0-0. Not because it was a bad game, it was actually quite decent, but just because Santa Fe always draw 0-0 or narrowly win. As for the other games, kinda surprised Tachira managed to beat Olimpia. And I watched the River Plate de Montevideo vs Palmeiras game. Well done to River. They were absolutely terrible but they managed to take advantage of Palmeiras mistakes and got a draw.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
The Strongest pull off the upset! 1-0 win over Sao Paulo in Brazil. With that result, The Strongest will have no issue getting out of the groups. River Plate and Sao Paulo will struggle in the altitude of Bolivia, and Trujillianos will as well. WIth that you have 3 more wins putting them at 12 points. I wouldn't be surprised if they got a result in Venezuela as well.

Melgar disappointing. I can't see them progressing from the groups after today. Atletico Mineiro had them completely under control in Arequipa which is bad considering Arequipa is in altitude. Not as much as La Paz though but still high enough for Melgar to get something from the match.

Lastly, I thought Cobresal would have beaten Corinthians, but they've proven to be lightweights. They won't progress from the groups.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
About the brazilian sides, São Paulo, Grêmio and even Palmeiras were disappointing on their start.

São Paulo has a great retrospect of winning at home at Libertadores while The Strongest has a terrible one of victories outside. Things got inverted this time. The Strongest is not an exceptional team but with a win outside and the games at Bolivia's altitude they have advantage. São Paulo, after Rogério Ceni retired, seems to not have the same struggle/hungry to Libertadores as before and the team with a new coach is still not well defined and I have to say Bauza does some dubious choices, like we have Calleri now who was the best player of Argentinian championship last season but he insists starting Centurion instead that already had more than enough chances to prove he is a flop. And I saw the same problem as against Cesar Vallejo, we get the ball possession but we miss a lot of goals, I could count three practically done goals that we missed yesterday.

Grêmio with one more man at field could not pass through Toluca. Not subestiming Toluca though, they could utilize the laterals plays very wisely and offensively to get the game. All points to this being the hardest group.

Palmeiras was fine and could keep this win but their middlefield and defense weakened and they conceded the tie in a very poor play from their defense. Though a tie by now is not that worrying the way it happened is and Palmeiras has to be more careful now.

Atlético MG had the best start among the brazilians. The altitude of Arequipa didn't stop them. Melgar got the lead first but after the tie Atlético was superior until the end and got the victory deservedly.

Corinthians and Cobresal was a balanced match. Despite loosing almost their whole main team to China, Tite still mantains the team very organizated and Cobresal also did not left many chances to the adversaries but got a gross mistake right in the last minutes that gave the victory to Corinthians.

Last edited:

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
Pumas vs Emelec was the best match to watch of the group phase opening. 15 kicks to goal to Pumas and 13 to Emelec. Both teams were attacking a lot with very good goal chances created and Pumas even with one less man didn’t loose the good playing. Pumas is a very strong candidate in the competition.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Peruvian sides with an awful start to the Libertadores. Cristal drawing at home and Melgar losing in Arequipa. I can see another disappointing year for Peru. Melgar are definitely not progressing and I'm struggling to see how Cristal can do any better.

Megaclyde

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds
Not sure on the details but a rumour I heard is that some Penarol fans booked into a hostel owned by a guys who plays footy with us, then proceeded to get rowdy and scare everyone else off. Then got a good 200 or so of their mates round and were in the street getting hammered and causing a bit of trouble.
I'm trying to see if there's ought online about it but can't find anything yet.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Holy... I just looked at Atletico Nacional's current team!

Victor Ibarbo, Macnelly Torres, Alexander Mejia, Daniel Bocanegra, Franco Armani, and Sherman Cardenas.

That is a bloody good squad. They're definite contenders for this competition this year.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
LDU Quito win 2-0 against San Lorenzo in Quito. Morales with 2 great goals. Both very Messi-esque. Quito didn't look great though, I'd say the altitude won them the game because San Lorenzo looked dangerous in most of their attacks. This group is the group of death, there is literally no telling who will go through. San Lorenzo, Toluca, LDU Quito and Gremio are all capable of progressing their group.

Huracan vs Atletico Nacional next. As I said in the betting thread, Nacional should get the win as Huracan will probably be demoralized after that horrific bus accident in Venezuela. As well as that Atletico Nacional are a far superior team to Huracan. I'm predicting a 3-0 win for the Colombians.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Atletico Nacional completely outplaying Huracan tonight. Could have easily been 5 or 6 for Nacional, but they kept missing several chances. Ibarbo was unstoppable, and just made the defenders look like a bunch of clowns. However he was missing effectiveness in the final third. He made several bad passes and plays when he was in the box, and that was the problem Nacional had. However, on his day he's probably one of the best players in the whole continent at the moment. This Atletico Nacional side are better than any Brazilian side in my opinion and are serious contenders.

Megaclyde

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds
Bit random, but shoutout to Gremio fans, caught one of their games on TV here the other day and whenever the camera panned out to the Gremio fans any girls in shot looked top notch. The Toluca fans weren't terrible but Gemio on another level.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
voltage Saddlerrad lordofthepies Aaron-Bcfc Megaclyde

Tagged you all since you're the ones most into South American football on this forum.

Made my own Excel template for a Copa Libertadores bracket. I've already done my own on it. If you want to try it out, just download the attached file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Copa_Libertadores Use this if you want to see the fixtures so it can help you decide on how many points.

Anyways the file is available for download. Let me know who you got as your winner, or don't be hesitant to share your brackets :)

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yxq9ia2tzkoatcy/Copa_Libertadores_Bracket.xlsx

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
As for my bracket...

277cb11fdced98615800f676dea24c00.png

0f484f10b4a435b849be54378f4ca20b.png

edcb9733b4afe85f3c8f6b9db42db4e1.png

c3e15b626a1e355be5ffb27fd5b4dff3.png

fb217c52b299cc5ea188186187c6b951.png

5bf7ab63fc2157cdfba6b0d51621d568.png

c5e13fb4fb53261b2893627c8e1f2be9.png

4d036cc261d62daf318e432aecb56fd9.png

03d50896ef7d365362cffd30e6b77c43.png

ae2cb07ba3be686b4b9fcf3c5533092e.png

cae164e2178559d96c29e6be694d998d.png

2b618b34490ec26f087f8b7119981689.png

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
Nice work Lib.

Watched Mineiro vs Del Valle last night. Home side should have been out of sight, but ended up having to hold on. The standard of final ball and finishing in the game and in South America in general is embarassing. Mineiro missed a few chances. I see Racing handed one out to Bolivar, was always going to be an easy win. Melgar are practically out already too.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Yeah Melgar are out. That first loss at home to Atletico Mineiro is going to really cost them if they manage to win their other 2 home games which is doubtful at this point to be completely honest.

I saw the Cali vs Boca game, and my goodness what an awful match that was. All Cali did was foul Boca. The referee was terrible and Cali should have seen at least 1 red (2 yellows for one player rather) for persistent fouling. A draw overall was a fair result because neither team created anything. Cali missed a sitter at the end though, but they didn't really deserve to win despite being the more dangerous team during the match. They played dirty, and Boca started to give them a taste of their own medicine. Tevez should have seen a red for his foul. I'll probably remember this as the battle of Cali. It was nothing but fouls, and it wasn't that enjoyable of a match. Ended 0-0.

I saw bits of the Racing 4-1 Bolivar game and Colo Colo's 1-0 win over Melgar. Colo Colo are very unimpressive and I don't consider them contenders to win the whole thing. As for Racing, Racing were class from what I saw. Yes, their opponent was weak but some of the plays they created were just amazing. Roger Martinez scored a really nice goal.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
My bracket got like:
groups.png

rounds.png

Confess I was kind of biased with Pumas right here. I got in doubt about doing the finals Boca Juniors x Atlético Nacional or getting the argentinian biggest confront Boca Juniors x River Plate instead but ended up with Pumas since I think mexican teams are quality and it's about time one of them to win Libertadores.

About this round games, Racing did an ideal first half and that's how they easily got an advantage of 3-0. At second half though they seemed more worried at keeping the score what made them request less from Bolívar's defence and allowed Bolívar to create more. Racing is a good side, I think they'll be the ones to go through this phase along Boca Juniors. And mentioning Boca, I was expecting more of their start than a tie in a match with many fouls and lack of opportunities created from both teams, anyway Boca can never be underestimated.

Atlético Nacional is really a good team, they had an amazing night against Huracán. Despite all that happened to Huracán, I think Atlético got this victory because of their quality more than 'cause of Huracán's frailities. Atlético Nacional has everything to go very far in the competition.

The only brazilian team playing this week, Atlético MG was very irregular, they were, yes, superior to Indepiendente most of the time but as said before they lost many good chances that could decide the match and let them comfortable and that made them play more pressed to not receive the tie goal. Our national league is one of the few at South America that didn't start yet. I think sometimes this can be a thing since only with the state competitions is kind of hard to get an enough rhythm to be fully prepared to Libertadores.

Looking forward tonight games now, mainly River Plate x Trujillanos. Really want to see how River will do at their start and that's São Paulo's group too.

Libertadores FC

Reaction score
Supports
Universitario, Napoli
Nacional vs Penarol, that's a clash I'd love to see.

And I agree with what you say about the Mexican teams. They have the quality to win the Libertadores, however one problem I've noticed they always had is that they choke. We'll see if this year is different but there is no excuse for Club America to lose to Guangzhou, Monterrey to get beat by Raja Casablanca, and Tigres to get beat so easily against River after Tigres managed 2 draws in the groups. Out of the 2 Mexicans though, Pumas is the one with more chance of winning it. We shouldn't underestimate Toluca though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees a lot in Atletico Nacional. They are an excellent team.

voltage

Reaction score
Supports
São Paulo FC
River had a decent start. The first half wasn't a thing and Trujillanos didn't seem a very dangerous side. But at second half River totally dominated and got, with no big difficulties, the four goals. Things got harder for São Paulo now, our next adversary is River and we'll probably be screwed by them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!