Crewe Alex v Newport

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
3rd straight home game for us after this fixture was switched due to Rodney Parade not being ready.

Did well in our first 2 games and could have won both, but didn't. Need to be looking at winning this one. Would probably keep the same formation and team, not a lot Artell can change. Maybe Pickering at LWB and move Cooper into Ainleys position with Callum dropping to the bench.

As for Newport, they look much improved on last seasons shambles, taken the momentum from their great end to the season. Still, Stevenage were minutes away from beating them last Saturday, so I'd like to think we can win this one.

I'm going to go with an edgy 2-1 win, Dagnall and Cooper.

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
3rd straight home game for us after this fixture was switched due to Rodney Parade not being ready.

Did well in our first 2 games and could have won both, but didn't. Need to be looking at winning this one. Would probably keep the same formation and team, not a lot Artell can change. Maybe Pickering at LWB and move Cooper into Ainleys position with Callum dropping to the bench.

As for Newport, they look much improved on last seasons shambles, taken the momentum from their great end to the season. Still, Stevenage were minutes away from beating them last Saturday, so I'd like to think we can win this one.

I'm going to go with an edgy 2-1 win, Dagnall and Cooper.

I agree with the point regarding Newport being much improved, cannot believe a lot of people have tipped them to go down, they finished last season on a major high and have started pretty well this time around. I am going for an Alex 3-1 win, a scoreline that maybe Newport won't deserve on the balance of play but I just get a feeling we will create chances again and Porter, Daggers and Coops will all net.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
2-0 and a goal a piece for the formidable Chris Brothers.

PS: Doesn't warrant its own thread, please can a mod merge this into the match day thread? Thank you in advance.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
2-0 and a goal a piece for the formidable Chris Brothers.

PS: Doesn't warrant its own thread, please can a mod merge this into the match day thread? Thank you in advance.
Seeing as I'm a mod and I created it, no. Thanks. :fing: ;)

Roger Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Looking forward to this - will be enjoying the delights of Crewe for the first time this weekend.
Another decent loan signing today in 19 yr old midfielder Reece Cole from Brentford. Looks good on twitter.

We would appear to be much stronger this season. Same defence and CBs that finished last season well, with exception of Plymouth away, plus the young lad White on loan from Brighton. Wilmott / Pipe at RWB and Butler / Jahraldo at LWB gives options on the flanks.

Midfield stronger too with Dolan, Labadie, TOE, Tozer, Rigg and now Cole. Will suit our lovely new pitch.

But its up front where we are most improved with some good young quick fellas in Reynolds and McCoulsky and experience with big Franks Nouble. Reynolds from Vardy's academy is one to watch this season. Benefitting from Lennie Lawrence contacts I feel, a leaner smaller squad and a decent pitch which is attracting some better loanees.

Pitch replacement in full flow - link below. Plus that shed thing at the back of the away stand has been demolished and is to be replaced with a Fans Zone whatever that is.

Pop lwc my English friends.

https://twitter.com/dessosports/status/ ... 5181586432

Brooksy

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
We are still skint (Bottom 5 budget) so no change there, but there is a bit of a feel-good factor under Mike Flynn. We seem to have picked up from where we left off and momentum is a wonderful thing. Who knows where this will take us with a new Desso pitch and a bit of belief in a squad that, for the first time in three seasons hasn't been re-built from scratch. We are certainly playing more attractive football. It'll be my first visit to Crewe so I'm really looking forward to what should be a decent game at a decent ground against a decent team and I think we will nick a win. I also don't think we will go down this season. Pretty much what Roger Stone has said already.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Newport don't seem as bad as I thought they might be. Last seasons game was a really poor game that Newport nicked late on.

Hoping after some decent performances I'm hoping we can get a win here.

Crewe 2-0 Newport (Porter, Bowery) 3,958 (288 Exiles)

Mr Laybier

Reaction score
Supports
England
Alex 3 Nooport 1
3,707 (267 Ironsides)
P.s.That Exiles tag is a bit old hat isn't it?

Brooksy

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Alex 3 Nooport 1
3,707 (267 Ironsides)
P.s.That Exiles tag is a bit old hat isn't it?

Hah, 'Ironsides' ... we got that nickname because Newport was the home of Lysaght's Orb Steelworks but that was demolished to make way for 550 homes, just like our old Somerton Park ground was demolished to build a housing estate. Ironsides is even less relevant than Exiles (which I never liked). Maybe our club logo should include a wrecking ball and sticks of dynamite.

Mr Laybier

Reaction score
Supports
England
Hah, 'Ironsides' ... we got that nickname because Newport was the home of Lysaght's Orb Steelworks but that was demolished to make way for 550 homes, just like our old Somerton Park ground was demolished to build a housing estate. Ironsides is even less relevant than Exiles (which I never liked). Maybe our club logo should include a wrecking ball and sticks of dynamite.
But Ironsides has some deep-rooted historical significance.
You may have been 'exiles' at one point but thankfully you're back in Newport now and have been for quite a while so it's a bit annoying to hear you regularly referred to as 'the Exiles' on the tv highlights.

gijsbert_bos

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Completely agree. Utter joke of a thread. There must be one Newport fan on here at most. It'll not get past 2 pages.

Edit: apologies, there are two.

No wonder the single match thread is so quiet if meaningless games like this get their own threads.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
I miss the days when Scunthorpe were the only Lincolnshire club in the Football League. Bloody Conference foreigners coming to our league and telling us what to do! :bg:

In all seriousness this is the litmus test for us today. We were incredibly complacent all year against the lesser teams and I can see the same happening today. They'll be in our faces for 90 minutes which we'll handle well, but we can't think the game is won just because we have more quality and experience than Newport on paper. Ainley to be benched is a necessity. Put Cooper at 10 and Pickering or Zooms (if fit) at LWB.

Crewe 1-2 Newport. We'll dominate most the game, miss some sitters and we'll subsequently concede a goal from a Ben Garratt mistake from a free kick nailed on.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Completely agree. Utter joke of a thread. There must be one Newport fan on here at most. It'll not get past 2 pages.

Edit: apologies, there are two.

No wonder the single match thread is so quiet if meaningless games like this get their own threads.
Things are fucked when I am agreeing with you and liking your posts!

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Hard to know what to make of that. Set up terribly in the first 20 minutes, played right into their hands, messing around in our own half and getting caught time after time. Newport took advantage, scored from a corner, shock. Ng gets a harsh first booking didn't think it particularly deserved a yellow. 2nd looked a bad challenge, jumped in a bit. Could have been a straight red. Brainless challenge from him. Left us right up against it for 75 minutes.

Recovered well tbf, great work from Cooper and a nice tap in for Dagnall. Nice of him to snap his 1 game goal streak in the league. Ridiculous that people were asking Artell about the fact he hadn't scored in pre-season. Both strikers off the mark now, good to see. Porter was pretty poor, nothing stuck to him and he missed 2 great chances in each half. Lowery was awful, gave it away loads and was getting caught out. Pickering was good, as was the back 4/3, Wintle and Cooper. Don't think Cooper should show dissent for being subbed, but at least he showed he wanted to be on the pitch, we've had too many in recent years that didn't look interested.

No offence Newport fans, but their team were terrible. Missed 3-4 sitters, played an awful style of football and made some dirty challenges. Labadie goes in recklessly with his foot high and studs showing, no foul, let alone a yellow/red. Ref was dire, let them get away with all sorts of poor challenges and then blows up twice when he should have played advantage because we were on the break. If there are any good officials out there, can we have them for once?

Happy with a point, but the way we failed to adapt to Newport early in the game was alarming. Would have thought Artell would have known what they were like and taken steps to combat it. You'd have also thought he'd have relaid messages to his players as to what Newport would do early on, but clearly not. Oh well, he's an inexperienced manager who is still learning, so I hope he's taken plenty of lessons from this that we can take into next week.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Started off very poor and deserved to go one down, then it went from bad to worst with Ng getting sent off, he deserved it for me, a tug back and a reckless lunge. The only complaint I have is the ref letting similar tugs and poor tackles go unpunished, it was ridiculous that it took til about the last 10 min for a Newport player get booked. Anyway we bounced straight back brilliant play by Cooper who had the left back bamboozled all afternoon and Daggers tapped in. We should have been ahead at half time with Porter's miss against the post from a yard out after more great Cooper play.

2nd half both teams could have won it, Porter and Wintle both missed for us whilst Garrett made a couple good stops and few poor misses from Newport.

Happy with a point after being 1 down and a man down, last season we would have crumbled under Davis and lost 3 or 4. Pickering, Cooper and Walker impressed me today.

24 games without a win for me though watching Crewe dating back to a 3-1 away win at Coventry April 2015

Roger Stone

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Decent game. Would have settled for a point but was 2 points dropped in the end especially after dominating the second half. Was like the Alamo in the Crewe defence. Must have had 25+ shots on goal, another day we could have had 4 or 5 goals.

About as clear cut sending off you will see. Stupid shirt pull on Labadie for first yellow who was about 70 yds from goal. Brainless challenge for the second having already been booked. Gave ref no choice.

Crewe keeper kept them in the game. Cooper played v well too - gave Butler a tough afternoon.

Good game for Labadie, got stuck in and broke up play well.

All in all an encouraging start to the season with Cov away next week sure to be another test.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
I think a point with ten men for 75+ minutes is always a decent result. Need to win next week though; three home games and no wins at the start of the season would not be classed as a good start.

Ng isn't good enough either and Artell needs to address the full back situation if we're going to compete in the top half.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
You take a point in that situation every day of the week. Especially with Ng stupidly getting sent off at 1-0 down, credit to the rest of the team for getting a point out of that situation.

There's no balance in our team. We signed a promising young CM from Hartlepool and he's spent most his time at CB (granted he started CM yesterday and Ng's dismissal forced him to drop back). We only have one out and out attacking natural winger and he's been starting at wing back and CAM this season, we lack a recognised RB and our midfield is so lightweight despite the obvious talent evident within it. I expected us to make 2 more signings after Walker and we're still no closer to them materialising. Granted we're missing Jones and Ray who have some experience and Pickering performed capably on his full debut, but the squad has 2 or 3 imbalances that need addressing sharpish else we'll be a side playing nice football but conceding cheap goals all season. And what on Earth is this standing off 5 yards allowing the opposition to play every time too? It's like watching the last few games of Dario's reign when you see us defend like that.

Newport won't be the worst side we'll play all season. They played well in parts but had we had the extra man I'm confident we'd have beaten them. Very positive performance from both sides but I know we can do much better than that and we will in time.

All in all, this season is about blooding some new youngsters into the side and finishing in the top half which is the bare minimum requirement for us. I don't expect promotion, but if we don't beat Barnet next week then I'll start to be concerned. This side doesn't concede many goals from open play but they're abysmal from set pieces and second balls in and it's costing us a lot of points and virtually hamstringing us every game and that runs back to last season. Hopefully George Ray's return will alleviate that but we're accepting mediocrity if we don't have a natural RB in place for Barnet next week...

Mr Laybier

Reaction score
Supports
England
I think a point with ten men for 75+ minutes is always a decent result. Need to win next week though; three home games and no wins at the start of the season would not be classed as a good start.

Ng isn't good enough either and Artell needs to address the full back situation if we're going to compete in the top half.
Yeh,need a win to make it a good start to the season.The two points so far have been decent ones to attain,all things considered,but it always helps if you can establish yourself in the leading group early on so come on Crewe-let's start moving up that table.

barnet_pls

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Surprised that you seem to expect to beat Barnet next week, with our good start. We deservedly beat Luton, Peterborough and Swansea in re entered weeks - so hopefully our win against 'champion elect' yesterday isn't a flash in the pan.

Mr Laybier

Reaction score
Supports
England
Surprised that you seem to expect to beat Barnet next week, with our good start. We deservedly beat Luton, Peterborough and Swansea in re entered weeks - so hopefully our win against 'champion elect' yesterday isn't a flash in the pan.
I'm aware of your excellent results but we're at home and we've gotta be looking to win most of those home games if we're gonna do anything of note this campaign.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe

We always beat you heavily at home, it's the law.

In all seriousness though, I'm confident you won't be a physical and cynical side and that'll really suit our style of play. I'm not underestimating Barnet by any means but good starts mean nothing after 2 games in any league.

Brooksy

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
Artell was happier than Flynn and rightfully so. We should have put that one to bed and it was two points dropped and Crewe scrapped for their point. Neither side took the chances they had.

I didn't think it was a second yellow card from where I was sitting until I saw the TV highlights, Ng was a bit rash with his challenge considering he was on a yellow card. Crewe fans in their main stand probably thought that Labadie's challenge in the first half deserved a red card because appeare to go through their player but from where I was it was a perfectly timed challenge. Two mid-table sides on show yesterday afternoon, which might be disappointing for Crewe supporters, but a distinct improvement for us.

Crewe's keeper, Cooper and their tiny ten-year-old midfield terrier were excellent. I was surprised they took Cooper off when they did because he gave Butler huge problems throughout the game. Dolan, Wilmott, White and particularly Labadie were excellent for us. Both sides probably thought they should have won it, but a draw was probably a fair result.

barnet_pls

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Interestingly we were actual pretty physical and robust against Luton yesterday - something that we can't at all be accused of in recent times. I suppose after the last days result last season you'd be confident, hopefully we're better than that.

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Thought Artell's subs were a bit odd too tbh. Cooper was probably taken off to save him for his inevitable transfer in the next couple of weeks, sadly.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Can see the logic, even if I didn't agree with them. Ainley was added to give us an extra body in midfield and to be fair, he set up 2 counter attacks by making quick touches and getting wiped out. Too bad the ref pulled it back instead of letting the clear advantage go. He also had a good chance at the end but waited too long to shoot. Bowery set him up and I thought he put himself about well. His introduction was a change from trying to play it out from the back to getting it up the pitch quickly and giving the defence a 2nd target to aim at.

Like I said, I didn't agree with either sub, but I can see why he made them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!