Cult Heroes

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
Can think of quite a few from our non-league days that don't qualify here but 4 players who crossed over to the league with us are definitely cult heroes. 2 of them local lads who came all the way from the Southern League, Northern Premier league and the Conference to play league football. Darren Stride 646 appearances and 124 goals, 100% every game and hard as nails and susceptible to the odd bout of red mist in his early career. Aaron Webster 588 appearances 100 goals, first saw him in the youth team, had a real wand of a left foot and was excellent in the air, if he had really knuckled down he would surely played at a much higher level. Those 2 players gave us something like 15 years service each. Another was Andy Corbett 339 appearances 12 goals, known as "Ronnie" or "Corbs", signed by Nigel Clough as a striker in 2003, mainly played in either full back position or right midfield, retired at end of 2013 season, Mr superfit gave his all and his athleticism made up for his distribution ! Currently on the last leg of a round the World bike ride with his brother with his Burton Albion shirt !
The last would be Shaun Harrad, 62 league appearances and 31 goals, was class with us although not elsewhere. Fondly remembered during our Conference days too and for scoring twice in the FA Cup third round against Middlesbrough with our only shots on target in the 89th and 93rd minutes to win the tie.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
Matt Rhead as SFL mentioned. I'd also say McGuire, He gets some stick by the hard bastards on their Stagsnet accounts but during games the fans tend to love him. Not got alot of quality but he would be someone you'd like beside you in the trenches for sure.

Anthony Howell aswell, He's left now but during our Play off and Championship season in the Conference he was excellent.

Habbinalan

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United (and reminisces about Barrow AFC)
Twitter
@habbinalan
From my youth ( Barrow AFC) it was probably Mick Hartland, with honourable mention for Roy "handbags" McCarthy. In their own way, They were some of the greatest entertainers but definitely flawed. The rest of the 67/68 teams were true heroes.

For the U's Terry Fleming has to be the standout - although he wasn't quite before my time, I can't actually remember seeing him in a match but he always has a presence on the messageboards. The Conference years offer too many to list. In fact, if we include the relegation season, we could probably offer a full side with manager (Is it too severe to suggest Rob Newman or Jez? Our foreign contingent presided over too much harm to be remembered fondly yet).

Plenty of flawed heroes but sticking firmly to Murphy's criteria, for me the list is "Dancing" Shaun Marshall, Danny Brown, Christian "Brick Wall" Smith, Stuart "Bimmo" Bimson and head and shoulders above everyone else is Igor (Latta Yedo?).

Arbury

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge united
right I have a feeling my fellow u's will totally disagree with me on this one but as "cult heroes" go then Paul"white men can't jump" wanless is very near the top of the list but for me he was utter cack, big brut of a player who couldn't pass, head the ball and generally didn't know what to do with that round bit of leather, he could tackle though and always gave his all which is why he is/was loved so much.

This one wasn't a cult hero as such but I never knew how he made a profession as a footballer and that's Ben chenery, he always bloody started and played countless games in a United shirt.

A couple that habbinalan said and terry "sweet corn tooth" Fleming definitely fits the bill, the only reason why he's remembered so much is because of his crapness, and scrapping with Justin walker/shaggy?? Up Chicago's.

I actually liked Danny brown, he loved a tackle and I remember him playing at rushden with a dislocated shoulder after yet another crunching tackle, he also ended Adam millers career which was a shame, would love someone like him in our squad right now.

KTF

Stagat

#stagat
Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Iyseden Christie.

Played for LOADS of clubs but made more appearances for us than anyone else. Always seemed our Iyseden if that even means owt. That equaliser away at County too. :bdick:

And...
... In 1997, he scored a four-minute hat-trick against Stockport County in a League Cup first-round tie. This remains the record for the fastest League Cup hat-trick.[citation needed]

Was only like half a level above being just a regular shithouse Div 2 striker, but he scored goals and seemed to love our club as much as we loved him.

Richard Cranium

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Twitter
@jallsop93
I loved Izzy! Shame he got crocked in our Division 3 (League 2) Play off season!

Don Tonberry

Reaction score
Supports
Portsmouth
Linvoy Primus is probably the biggest one for us. Not the most talented centre back but played with his heart on his sleeve and always gave everything. A genuinely likeable bloke and he ended up establishing himself in the team for a good few years before becoming club ambassador after retiring.

Pedro Mendes is another cult hero for the thunderbolt goals he scored against Man City in our "Great Escape" season whilst Matt Taylor will forever be known for being a scorer of great goals. Add David Norris to that list simply for "that" stoppage time equaliser at Southampton back in 2012.

LadyWomble

Reaction score
Supports
Wimbledon
Carl Leaburn. Not as totally useless as he looked and an ever-willing striker who led the line with a very impressive 4 goals in 58 games. Legend.
Charlton fans loved him too http://pseudscorner.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/on-second-thoughtscarl-leaburn.html
Spot on. A sort of poor man's Emile Heskey. Two of those goals being scored against Palace whilst we were squatting at Shitehurst helped!

I also love the fact he was the only player of the (then) modern era who turned up at the official launch of the Trust. He was immediately grabbed and told he was joining the parade of old legends on stage, with Dickie Guy and some of those who'd taken us into the FL first time round. "No, I'm not a legend." "Yes you are, up you go" and eventually he did.

Villains, also from Old Wimbledon: Keith Judas Curle, Deano of the franchise Holdsworth and Mick Harford.

Reginald Fodstain

Not Scouse
Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
Another vote here for Bas Savage, mostly for the hair - his moonwalking left a bit to be desired. (Incidentally, my name is vaguely similar to his, so needless to say I've got a few mates who still occasionally call me Bas.) Also, Gavin Ward, who, as Preston fans will tell you, was a shite keeper, but scored for us. Maintained legend status for half a season, then we realised he was crap at his actual position.

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
I think Southend's most cult of cult heroes has to be Drewe Broughton, we must be the only club to have a soft spot for a guy who frankly shouldn't have been anywhere near a professional football team. He is only a cult figure for his role in 2 games in the LDV South Final against Col U. I wrote a bit about it on the best and worst cup games thread, but his performance in both legs - including scoring the goal to win the tie - was quite frankly remarkable, got sent off in the 1st leg at Layer Road, scored one, made another. He was gash in everything else he did - seemed to love that competition though, only scored about 11 goals for Southend, 8 in the LDV.

Leo Roget, I would say my favourite Southend player of all time, to put that in perspective that places him above Chris Powell and Stan Collymore! He was ok for us in the 2nd tier, nothing special though, it was more his do or die attitude and his 100% full on performances. He also smashed up some Barnet fans radio in an incident which was never fully explained.

Tes Bramble - Montserrat international no less, Tes gave his all, actually scored quite a number of goals. His best moments came with a stunning overhead kick about 20 yards out to beat Luton in a superb FA Cup tie. He then played a blinder in goal against Boston. It was 2-0 when we had Flahavan sent off for handball outside the box, Tes went in goal for 50 minutes. Andy Kirk (remember him) scored about 2 minutes after half time and you kinda thought we'd be lucky to lose by a couple. Cue a quite amazing goalkeeping performance from Tes 'the cat' Bramble, including a point blank reflex save with about 5 minutes left. I'm pretty sure Steve Evans was Boston manager at the time, which made Tes performance even sweeter.
He also scored the best own goal I've ever seen live, when at Orient from about 25 yards out he managed a bullet header straight in to the top corner - sadly of course the wrong net.

Laker

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
right I have a feeling my fellow u's will totally disagree with me on this one but as "cult heroes" go then Paul"white men can't jump" wanless is very near the top of the list but for me he was utter cack, big brut of a player who couldn't pass, head the ball and generally didn't know what to do with that round bit of leather, he could tackle though and always gave his all which is why he is/was loved so much.

This one wasn't a cult hero as such but I never knew how he made a profession as a footballer and that's Ben chenery, he always bloody started and played countless games in a United shirt.

A couple that habbinalan said and terry "sweet corn tooth" Fleming definitely fits the bill, the only reason why he's remembered so much is because of his crapness, and scrapping with Justin walker/shaggy?? Up Chicago's.

I actually liked Danny brown, he loved a tackle and I remember him playing at rushden with a dislocated shoulder after yet another crunching tackle, he also ended Adam millers career which was a shame, would love someone like him in our squad right now.

KTF
Paul Wanless was the first one I thought of. Skill wise he's probably in the bottom 10% of players to have played for us but he made up for it in spirit and kicking people!

John Taylor was definitely a cult hero though he was actually good too.

Lionel Perez probably deserves a mention in this too, as does Danny "gain 10 yards" Potter.

Out of our current squad, Liam Hughes is the best candidate to reach cult status. He's half way there after scoring the opener at Wembley and getting up to block a shot having just broken his arm in another game.

Judge Dredd

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
Tim Breacker for that goal against Derby.

Booooom! Against England's #1 too...

Not sure I'd classify Breacker as a "cult" hero though... my definition of that is usually someone who is a bit crap/novelty but well loved anyway. Breacker would probably make most people's all-time Luton XI.

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Matty Taylor - the "southern league oil tanker" - former bath university goalkeeper turned professional center back. Later signed by Charlton athletic after being a critical piece of successive promotions. Not bad for some random uni goalkeeper.

Bertie Cozic - some random chap, no idea where he came from but had been bench warming for us for several years in the Conference, couldn't really play football but somehow actually worked his way into our league 1 team for a few seasons. According to soccerbase he had previously made 2 appearances for Aldershot town and a handful for Kidderminster but I doubt anybody remembers that at all and there was nothing at all to hint at the cult celebrity he was to later gain as a League 1 midfield dynamo (slight use of artistic license). He then opened a crepe shop in Exeter. Which to be fair was a much more sensible career option.

AtaturkOzgutson

Reaction score
Supports
Neutral
Our lot are being a bit harsh on Paul Wanless, he did captain us to promotion and survival in Division 2, and served a long time.

Otherwise, it's El Tel Terry Tezza Tooth Fleming, what a god amongst men.

Honourable mentions for Delano Sam-Yorke (spent an entire season trapping the ball further than he can kick it, but scored two goals in the play-offs out of the blue and got us to Wembley), Igor Latte-Yedo, Kinglsey Mbombe, Danny Brown & Rory McAuley (one of my favourite players, played anywhere and gave 1000%. Will never forget his looping header at Luton - Just wasn't good enough for a side going for promotion).

Nearly forgot Folawiyo Onibuje. Fearless, agile and talented on moment, a baby giraffe taking it's first few steps in the next.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Zigor Aranalde - although to be fair he was also an awesome defender, fully deserved cult status

Chris Billy - difficult to filter the facts from the legends. not remembered as the best player to ever pull on the shirt even though he did play a part in two promotions. Gave his all, massive cult hero, I believe the Bury fans give him cult status too.

Those two above, the fans had songs about that they still sing to this day. The Chris Billy song has about seven verses.

Chris Lumsdon - or ginger panface, Billy's midfield partner in those two promotions, the two Chris's gave no quarters. Currently the regular match-summariser on BBC Radio Cumbria and in the process of setting up a new supporters' club.

Peter Murphy - MURPH! A lot of fans still disappointed he was released the summer before last after spending 11 years at the club. Classy forward-thinking centre-back who scored the only goals in both our Conference play-off final victory and our JPT final victory... also scored our consolation goal in the JPT final we lost against Swansea. Currently at Ayr United.

Richard Prokas - not a great player but got away scot free after a two footed lunge on Patrick Vieira, the fans (who were enduring one of the worst ever spells of football Carlisle have put together) enjoyed that, a lot. Currently a plasterer I think.

erm...

I think everyone can guess the other one... only ever played 4 or 5 games for us and was no great shakes when playing in his natural position, currently a taxi driver.

Rivo?

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Pavol Suhaj - Slovakian striker signed from AS Trencin, found himself released from Nantwich Town within a couple of years after leading the line in a 6-1 thrashing at Cardiff in the Championship. Always used to see him in McDonalds years ago. Believe he had a trial at Colwyn Bay and heard a rumour that he became a Kwik Fit Fitter.

Danny Shelley - Utter dogshite but used to score a few free kicks now and then, his free kick at Stockport was one of the greatest things I've ever seen on a football pitch. Now gracing the subs bench at Leek Town.

Ademola 'George' Bankole - What a guy, prone to many errors in his Crewe career and once let Lee Hughes score a hat-trick past him in a goalkeeping horror show, but he was such a hero. Always seemed happy despite Dario bollocking him 90% of the time. Believe he's now Colchester's GK Coach.

Rodney Jack - Every Crewe fan between the ages of 18-30 probably thought at one time in their lives that Rodney was the greatest human being alive. Fast, quick, capable of missing sitters or going missing in games but produced moments of complete magic, most notably Bolton away and single handedly destroying the Vale in the Worthington Cup. Rodney was a true cult hero. Now working in Iceland in Crewe and was the witness to a recent murder trial.

Lauri Dalla Valle - A potential cult hero to be talked about in the future. Always tracks back, always smiling, always acknowledges the fans, capable of scoring well taken goals or throwing himself at a ball centimetres from the goal line, what a man.

dannylad01

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Twitter
@dannytudor01
Mickey Brown (sent Chester down!) and Dean Spink would be my Salop suggestions

Tricky Mickey was the first one I thought of. Left us twice but still the all time appearance maker for Shrewsbury. Plus he sent Chester down! Now a personal trainer in the town.

Another I thought of was Pete "The Feet" Wilding. Didn't turn professional until he was 27 having spent most of his career playing local football before a season at Telford. A defender who always gave 100% and probably his best performance was when he had a young Wayne Rooney in his pocket when we beat Everton 2-1 in 2003. I remember 2 goals he scored against Bury in a 4-1 win at Gay Meadow too, he didn't know how to celebrate his goals! He also carried on his plastering work during his spare time. Now a European scout for Stoke!

Super Sammy Aiston is also a cult hero. A typical enigmatic lower league winger, but the Riverside would always roar him on like cheering a racehorse in the final furlong of the Grand National. The ball would often end up in the school over the back of the stand, but capable of moments of brilliance.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Linvoy Primus was brilliant for us and it was obvious that he would be playing at a higher level than us later on in his career. Every Barnet fan felt happy that he did so well in the Premier League.
We had Ademola Bankole on loan for a couple of months in 03/04. He was obviously nuts and I think our defence never knew what he was going to do next but it worked. He let in something like 2 goals in 6 matches with us and we were unbeaten in that spell as well. I thought he was great.

TrinidadsNumberOne

Gizza job?
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe
Linvoy Primus was brilliant for us and it was obvious that he would be playing at a higher level than us later on in his career. Every Barnet fan felt happy that he did so well in the Premier League.
We had Ademola Bankole on loan for a couple of months in 03/04. He was obviously nuts and I think our defence never knew what he was going to do next but it worked. He let in something like 2 goals in 6 matches with us and we were unbeaten in that spell as well. I thought he was great.

Bankole was a true gent despite having a screw loose. Will never forget when he conceded 6 and got hauled off vs Coventry though, bloody hell.

McShambles

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Adrian LittleJohn- had everything but being able to finish.

Laurent D'jaffo. - a lot of people thought he was a lazy bastard, which to be fair he was but as a 8/9 year old I loved him. Ended up top scorer for us with about 9 goals. Only one less than our top scorer this season :eek:

Do you remember Littlejohn's overhead kick? Nobody could believe he did it, let alone that it actually went in!

Reactions: T.A

KeithH

Reaction score
Supports
1885 Bury
Baichung Bhutia for Bury.

At least as far as I'm concerned.

First Indian professional in the English game and first Asian to score in the English game. Didn't really do owt but he's a legend of the game back home and has his own soccer schools. I think we played the Indian and Pakistani(?) national teams that pre-season as part of the publicity.
Half of them legged it up the Manny Road after the game and were never seen again!!!!!

Shrew_fan

Reaction score
Supports
Shrewsbury
Super Sammy Aiston is also a cult hero. A typical enigmatic lower league winger, but the Riverside would always roar him on like cheering a racehorse in the final furlong of the Grand National. The ball would often end up in the school over the back of the stand, but capable of moments of brilliance.

Good shout - completely forgot about him. Frustrating and brilliant in equal measures, the sense of anticipation when he went on a run was something to behold. Also had a legendary reputation with the ladies but not sure how true that was! Now a primary school teacher in the Shrewsbury area I believe...

Paul 'Eagle' Edwards is another one one who has come to mind. A great keeper who played 300+ games for us and was a shining light in some truly awful Salop sides, single-handedly keeping us in many games. Top guy too!

oakroader

Reaction score
Supports
Luton Town
gotta mention peter anderson,a great player who had to be sold to royal antwerp in the mid 70's to stop luton going into administration

McShambles

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Bury
Half of them legged it up the Manny Road after the game and were never seen again!!!!!

Including one of the Pakistan players who rolled about on the pitch for about a minute. :bg1:

Mucca Mad Bee

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Liam Hatch - Couldn't hit a barn door for about 3 years before a 4 month spell when he scored about 20 goals earned him a 150k move to Peterborough. My memories of Hatchy mainly consist of him losing the ball in the oppositions final third but tracking back the length of the pitch to make an outstanding tackle.

I believe Hatch scored one goal for the posh, typically against Barnet! He now plays centre half for the reformed Darlington team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bantamshell

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!