Easter Monday Match Thread

Jemfy

Reaction score
Supports
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We played really poorly and won! 3-1 and promotion is ours!

Expect AFCR&D to be rolling around the Southern League Division 1 Central next season!

For the match itself, we played with one recognised central midfielder, and a striker stepping back. Injuries and absences taking a small toll on our not very big squad, also RB has been a minor problem for much of the season, we've had injuries and a CM player there. An U21 player filled the position today, though his defending can be a bit suspect!

We took the lead thanks to a fantastic free kick, though the offender had already been booked for a handball when he handled again on the edge of the area. That was just one of a number of refereeing decisions that made it look more like he was playing dungeons and dragons than refereeing a game. Player handles on the edge of the box, roll 2 d12. Some ridiculously poor defending lead to their second, with probably one of our best players shepherding the ball back to our goalkeeper from far too far out, at far too slow a pace. Striker came around him, stole it and put it in the net before playing up in front of the crowd. At least that should be less of a problem next season as players will be more used to actually having fans around! In the second half a flicked on throw found Joseph unmarked in the centre of the box, he flicked home and celebrated with the zero effort it took him to turn his foot for the ball to land on. Scoring was rounded off as Gearing ran in to the box to get on the end of a cross and head in a third. In truth we were barely threatened despite playing really poorly, and squandered a few good chances to rack up a scoreline. On a day where things clicked we could have gone for a new club record. That wasn't today, but it was promotion, and that's good enough.

Wisbech 0 - 0 Holbeach - so we would have been promoted even if we lost. This makes the top of the UCL look like:

AFCR&D p36 89pts +77GD
Thurnby p36 80pts +59GD
Wisbech p36 80pts + 58GD

Simply put: 4pts = title. 3 points and we're probably there given the large GD swings required, but not impossible. Next up we host our groundshare partners Wellingborough Town in a "pay what you like" game. We'd require both the other teams in the race to drop points to secure the title then, as well as winning.

eightiesrobin

Reaction score
Supports
Altrincham
Finally scraped a win in a 90 minute bore fest.

I listened to the match commentary on the net - sounded like a horribly dull game. Some suggestion of "going through the motions" from a couple of the Alty players.

Davidimp

Reaction score
Supports
The Imps and Spurs
Twitter
@DavidImp1972
5 yellows and a red for Lincoln, 1 yellow for us, another set of dirty bastards that will blame us for all their cards.
You had two yellows, Miller made a rotten challenge for our first yellow, the others were stupid challenges in the main.
Your guys wasted enough chances to win 4 games nevermind so happy with a point although Power missed an absolute sitter to make it 2-0.
Thought you guys would of brought more 250,
Highlight of the game was in the first half when the majority of your support celebrated your 'goal' very funny, my 9 year old daughter thought it was hilarious!

Johnny Boy

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet fc
Looking at the last three fixtures for us, i think Halifax will be the toughest out of all three of our last games. The team I fear about the most is Bristol Rovers, i can see them beating both Alfreton and Southport but could drop points against Dover. Only time will tell.

ComeOnIrene

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Absolutely delighted with today. The sun was shining, Gasheads were in fine voice all afternoon and created a terrific atmosphere, and the win was emphatic.

The first half was fairly even as the Kiddy fan says on the previous page and although Lee Hughes had an air shot he should have done better with, we had the better opportunities. Bliss hit the bar and Lewis made a great save to keep Harrison out as well. Everyone was pretty nervy at half time because we got the sense it may not be our day, but thankfully the second half was one-way traffic.

Every single one of the team contributed to a dominant performance and getting the early goal eased the tension around two-thirds of Aggborough. The celebrations were mental. We didn't take our foot off the gas (pardon the pun) and kept pushing, and to get another two goals was fantastic for everyone concerned.

Harrison and Bliss were outstanding up front and the Kiddy defence had no idea what to do with them. It was a joy to watch. Fingers crossed they can keep that going for the rest of the season, because they'll cause every side problems if they do.

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
Yet you just said 2 sides above you were average?
Excellent response!! :10: :bg1:
Well we really are chalk and cheese. Absolute gash on Saturday at an out of form Wrexham then two days later go toe to toe with one of the best sides in the league and on another day could have come out of it with something.

First half their were a cigarette paper between the sides. Then Jack Mackreth entered the show in the second half and was ultimately the difference. He tore Rowe-Turner to shreds second half.

That said Grimsby first was extremely fortunate with their first. But that sort of think goes for you at the top and when Hawleys shot on the turn came back of the crossbar is indicative of what happens to you when your at the bottom.
I thought Mackreth was really unfortunate to see his shot hit the post too. All that was missing from his performance was a goal.

Overall today from our point of view was pleasing a great payday and a fully committed and hard fought performance on the field. Just why oh why couldnt we produce that on Saturday.?

Other results went our way. Lets see if we can reproduce a similar performance to todays at Eastleigh. If we do I am confident we can come away with something
Your shot that hit the bar didn't one of our defenders clear it on to the bar? Looked like an incredible clearance/goal save from our end.
And Pearsons crunching tackle when your guy would have been through on goal sums up our defending this season, not an inch given and no bottling out of crucial tackles.
If those 2 chances had gone differently, you could easily have got something, i was very impressed with some of your forward play today.

Pliny Harris

Frightened Inmate #2
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
The Provisional Brotherhood
It's been a long time coming, but when their goal went in it properly dropped to me that we're really not playoff material, and the entire game was more enjoyable for it, the long series of fluffed chances relatively painless and the late equaliser just as vindicating. No-one else in the crowd seemed to be throwing any weight of expectation on the team either, there were no revelations, just a standard day out watching Town, much more worthwhile than staying home. Yes, we're not mathematically out of it but I'm now firmly in the mindset of glorified friendlies now, playing for the pride (which we have plenty of), and to cement places next season here or at a higher level. If that somehow results in us gaining four wins in our final four then that's all the better.

Plenty of good attacking football today, no howlers but nothing clinical obviously. We could've scored a few but then again so could they if they'd started Sam-Yorke. Muldoon was the cat's pyjamas again, genuinely exciting to watch like at Nuneaton. He looked really keen. Maynard—love that man, our only player who's scored a good hatful seemingly from nowhere. The red card was justified but too late, but both that and the goal were great fun. Macclesfield's fouling was a bit more professional to me while Lincoln today liked to push their weight around and were a bit clumsy with it. They got quite a few cautions between each yellow but I don't think there were any straight reds in there.

Anyhoo, this is why I haven't really discussed playoffs here or said owt in the promotion thread. Never really saw it for us. I heard a Blackpool fan on the radio straight after saying she wasn't devastated about her team's relegation because they'd gotten used to the idea over several months, but with us it's been expecting playoffs after the friendlies/first month of games, then coming to terms, extremely slowly, with the fact we have no real firepower to get us there. Entertainment's been dry all season, and it doesn't help when fans expect us to finish in the playoff places: we remain a part-time side with poor support all things considered.

Both the playoffs and the two promotion places are impossible to call right now but I'd like Woking to finish 5th and go up. Part-time(?), solid support, seem to play a fair game, local lad up front, haven't entered the football league before, what's not to like? #CardsMachine2015

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Well you're playing 'bankrolled' and 'soon to be bankrupt' Barnet next Pliny, you'll probably enjoy that when you come down and help yourself to the free wad of cash Kleanthous gives out to each fan every game.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
We definitely need to give Halifax on Saturday some of what they gave us at the Hive last season. Time to get even.

Gassy

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You need to give them 3 points matey

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
We definitely need to give Halifax on Saturday some of what they gave us at the Hive last season. Time to get even.
Good luck with that, Lord Aspin has promised the fans they will keep going to the end of the season. He is a man who keeps his word. :bdick:

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
Forest Green have mashed us, four players now doubt's for the weekend after that.

Cheers a fucking bunch.

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
There a disgrace and twats like ChrisFGR revel in it. He'll blame your players for provoking them. Time the Conference took a stand against there thuggery.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
If Halifax can keep Pearson and the rest of their thugs away from our players Saturday (especially Akinde) I'd be really grateful. Don't like the look of some of these leg breakers going around

Last edited:

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
There a disgrace and twats like ChrisFGR revel in it. He'll blame your players for provoking them. Time the Conference took a stand against there thuggery.
Less of the insults towards fellow members please B2TF. Thanks

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
I'm pretty sure they'll stay away from our players tomorrow!

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
If Halifax can keep Pearson and the rest of their thugs away from our players Saturday (especially Akinde) I'd be really grateful. Don't like the look of some of these leg breakers going around

Look at the stats, we're one of the cleanest sides in the league, and without a doubt more sinned against than sinners.

Urban

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Look at the stats, we're one of the cleanest sides in the league, and without a doubt more sinned against than sinners.

Oh yeah, totally and completely innocent in every department then I guess :whistle:

GTFC1979

Reaction score
Supports
grimsby town
They must have been provoked, after all they are all 'Top Blokes'........ :ffs: :gmc: :lac:

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Oh yeah, totally and completely innocent in every department then I guess :whistle:
That's not what the stats show though is it? What they do show is that at least half the Conference have more cards than us, so if we're thugs what does it say about the rest? In most games, certainly since Christmas, the opposition have picked up a string of cards, as often as not a red among them, while we've had one, maybe 2, it any at all. All those cards can't be down do us, despite what plonkers like MasterBator try to make out.

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Latest disciplinary figures:

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/fairplay

That should help settle any argument about who is dirtier than who else...though I now expect counter arguments from some quarters about the quality of the refereeing, players hoodwinking and getting away with stuff...blah, blah, blah!

I think a Wrexham fan might have hacked this one too!

Edit, I'm not too sure how accurate their information is. If you click on one of the options on the right hand side you can see the individual record for each club. We have a yellow card for a player I had never heard of (Gino Kelleher), turns out he is a youth team player for Notts County...bizarre!

Last edited:

Aber gas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol rovers
:devil:
That's not what the stats show though is it? What they do show is that at least half the Conference have more cards than us, so if we're thugs what does it say about the rest? In most games, certainly since Christmas, the opposition have picked up a string of cards, as often as not a red among them, while we've had one, maybe 2, it any at all. All those cards can't be down do us, despite what plonkers like MasterBator try to make out.
Well feel free to unleash your northern barbarian ways on Saturday ( I'm only joking btw ) Yorkshire , Yorkshire

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN

That should help settle any argument about who is dirtier than who else...though I now expect counter arguments from some quarters about the quality of the refereeing, players hoodwinking and getting away with stuff...blah, blah, blah!

Edit, I'm not too sure how accurate their information is. If you click on one of the options on the right hand side you can see the individual record for each club. We have a yellow card for a player I had never heard of (Gino Kelleher), turns out he is a youth team player for Notts County...bizarre!

http://scorecentre.businesscatalyst.com/assets/conferencescene_0204.pdf

The_Boss

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield FC

Same with us, we don't have and never have had players called Rob Dolan or Jamar Campbell! Also it has Danny Whitaker having a red card against him, despite it being rescinded!!

Andy Harrier

Reaction score
Supports
Kidderminster Harriers
I actually thought that was a slightly better performance by us than some of those in recent weeks and we matched Bristol Rovers for the first half. In fact in the first half, I thought Bristol Rovers looked quite average, with Blissett the most dangerous player and it was only in the second half that they stepped their game up and that's when the gulf in quality showed. As Whild pointed out after the match though, only two of the players who started in the away match earlier in the season were available for selection/still at the club yesterday and there was a lot of youngsters in the team yesterday, including both of our centre mids and half of our back four. I thought our best player was 17 year old Luke Maxwell who looks like he could become a decent player at this level with a bit more time. He'll probably be an important player for us next season in our inevitable relegation battle.

However, full credit to Bristol Rovers, they fully deserved the win. I think 2 or 3-0 was about right - any more would have been a bit harsh. Having watched both Rovers and Barnet on Monday, the league does seem a lot weaker this year though. It feels like the year we came second, I genuinely think any of the teams who finished in the top 5 that season would probably have won the league already this year.

Shotsfan1993

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot Town
Twitter
@SamOS1993

Nice to see we have the 2nd best disciplinary record in the conference (Wrexham's 7 red cards would move them quite a bit above us I expect) ;)

Greenacres

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green Rovers
Nice to see we have the 2nd best disciplinary record in the conference (Wrexham's 7 red cards would move them quite a bit above us I expect) ;)

...plus ours isn't really too bad, just above half way, so maybe not the bunch of thugs that some would like people to believe!

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green
Exactly, it's funny that some of those making the accusations, especially FC Halifax, are widely regarded as far bigger thugs then us. Halifax showed their true colours on Friday, yet another brawl incited by their antics, shouldn't be surprised I suppose. :ffs:

Chris FGR

Reaction score
Supports
Forest Green

I'd imagine they'll be too busy dealing with your lot after yet more disgraceful scenes on Friday. We'll just carry on quietly getting results whilst others try and make ridiculous unwarranted accusations against our side, who are amongst the cleanest teams in this division.

Bluandwite

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
I'd imagine they'll be too busy dealing with your lot after yet more disgraceful scenes on Friday. We'll just carry on quietly getting results whilst others try and make ridiculous unwarranted accusations against our side, who are amongst the cleanest teams in this division.
Don't make me laugh, those accusations aren't constantly coming up for no reason.

Just a shame we had the most lenient ref in the league in Toner, should have had that card happy Bennett fella on you, would have had a field day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!