EFL Trophy rules changed again....quietly!

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
We had a fantastic day out last season despite losing the game. It's actually better than a play off final because the result isn't anywhere near as important and therefore much less stressful.

ThisTinpotLeague

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Sorry but all the fans going to this farce of a final have betrayed every other club in the lower league, you have given that muppet Harvey all he needed to prove he was right that the draw of a day out at Wembley means lower league fans will ignore all the shit that is thrown at them. I hope you enjoy stabbing the rest of us in the back cheers
This isn't a helpful post. Speaking as an Oxford season ticket holder who isn't going, and therefore as one of the most heroic boycotters there are, it's very very easy to say you won't go to Wembley until your team gets there. Then tens of thousands of fans, including your mates, family and perhaps even your kids, start badgering you to go. Your club bombards you with emails about how "the lads deserve to see a full house", people say you're not supporting your club, rumours appear about how the club has already decided to vote it down next year, and your forums are full of the fact that the other team will take 30k/40k regardless of what you do.

Presenting it as bluntly as you do will mean nothing to any Ox or Coventry fans because you're not acknowledging the problems it causes.
If you believe the clubs will vote in B teams on the basis that the final of this competition was well supported then you are a moron.
I think its perfectly valid to see this as sad proof that football fans care more about the short term, on-the-pitch success of their club than they do about the supposed issues of u23 teams being in the tournament.
If Harvey really wanted to see fans true perceptions of this farce of a competition
I don't believe that he wants to do that for a single second.

Optogas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This isn't a helpful post. Speaking as an Oxford season ticket holder who isn't going, and therefore as one of the most heroic boycotters there are, it's very very easy to say you won't go to Wembley until your team gets there. Then tens of thousands of fans, including your mates, family and perhaps even your kids, start badgering you to go. Your club bombards you with emails about how "the lads deserve to see a full house", people say you're not supporting your club, rumours appear about how the club has already decided to vote it down next year, and your forums are full of the fact that the other team will take 30k/40k regardless of what you do.

Presenting it as bluntly as you do will mean nothing to any Ox or Coventry fans because you're not acknowledging the problems it causes.

I think its perfectly valid to see this as sad proof that football fans care more about the short term, on-the-pitch success of their club than they do about the supposed issues of u23 teams being in the tournament.

OK I get that Coventry have had a poor season and this is their highlight, but boycotting all season then going to Wembley, is like a Remainers going while we're leaving now so I better forget my views and support leave. I know how much kids love the Wembley trip I have taken my own, but I would never sell my principles for a good day out. Ashton gate has held many a gig I would have loved to have seen, but I won't put a penny in city's coffers except for at Derby matches so I have missed the gig. Does that make me stubborn, yes, do I regret it? No never I would feel like I was betraying my principles if I went.

ThisTinpotLeague

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
OK I get that Coventry have had a poor season and this is their highlight, but boycotting all season then going to Wembley, is like a Remainers going while we're leaving now so I better forget my views and support leave. I know how much kids love the Wembley trip I have taken my own, but I would never sell my principles for a good day out. Ashton gate has held many a gig I would have loved to have seen, but I won't put a penny in city's coffers except for at Derby matches so I have missed the gig. Does that make me stubborn, yes, do I regret it? No never I would feel like I was betraying my principles if I went.
That's exactly the point. You boycott Ashton Gate unless Bristol Rovers play there??? So you sell your principles to support Rovers? That's exactly what you're asking Oxford and Coventry not to do - and you can't even do it yourself! That's like one of us saying we supported the boycott because we didn't go to any Trophy games that didn't involve our own teams!

Have you ever voluntarily missed Bristol Rovers playing at Wembley?

Edit - and to be clear again, I absolutely agree with your point but not your tone. Ox and Coventry fans have missed a chance to make a statement on behalf of all supporters, but it's been bloody hard to make that statement. It's disappointing, but our own clubs voted for this change. Harvey, who should safeguard our interests, drove the change through and refuses to back down. And the Championship and Premiership clubs helped validate it by supplying the B teams. The anger should be directed towards them, before other fans.

Last edited:

eric read

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
The minute Coventry got through to the final, three weeks before us, and started selling tickets it was game over as far as any boycott was concerned.

They had sold something like 30,000 before we even qualified, so what do we do? Only sell about 10,000 which added to their 42,000 would still end up in a gate approaching 55,000, therefore allowing Harvey to call it a success?

As it happens our sales are about 5,000 down on last year's 35,000 so it could be argued that some have boycotted (which I believe to be true). Myself, I saw a couple of the early round games last year and the final. This year Wembley will be my first game in the tournament. Does that make me a hypocrite or a scab? I'm not sure, but in 121 years Oxford United have appeared at Wembley four times and I don't want to be on my death bed wishing I'd gone to this one, as for all I know we may never get there again in my lifetime and this could be my last chance. Sorry pal, but there's a lot more to balance up here than pure idealism.

GeneralLee

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
The minute Coventry got through to the final, three weeks before us, and started selling tickets it was game over as far as any boycott was concerned.

They had sold something like 30,000 before we even qualified, so what do we do? Only sell about 10,000 which added to their 42,000 would still end up in a gate approaching 55,000, therefore allowing Harvey to call it a success?

As it happens our sales are about 5,000 down on last year's 35,000 so it could be argued that some have boycotted (which I believe to be true). Myself, I saw a couple of the early round games last year and the final. This year Wembley will be my first game in the tournament. Does that make me a hypocrite or a scab? I'm not sure, but in 121 years Oxford United have appeared at Wembley four times and I don't want to be on my death bed wishing I'd gone to this one, as for all I know we may never get there again in my lifetime and this could be my last chance. Sorry pal, but there's a lot more to balance up here than pure idealism.

For me personally I am against the introduction of 'B teams' however I will be attending the final regardless. My father passed away from terminal cancer last year, days after the Wycombe fixture (to see us promoted on the last day of the season). Our visit to Wembley and the the final game of the season were his two final outings and last chance to break a smile... So for me, I will be attending with family.

As Eric says, I think it's idealistic for supporters to ignore the lure of a Wembley fixture as it may not happen again any time soon. While my own personal circumstances have merely heightened my reasons for attending, I believe many supporters will have similar motivations... Because it might be a last opportunity.

Oxon

Reaction score
Supports
OUFC

As another Oxford Season ticket holder that isn't going (neither are the other two ST holders that I go to games with) I pretty much agree with all you've written there.

I've had no enthusiasm for this competition since it started, and don't feel the need to go now just because we have got to the final at Wembley.

I feel a bit disappointed that we are taking as many as we are, but still hope the team win, mainly in the hope that it will continue the confidence in the slight hope of sneaking into the playoffs.

Ed Phelan

Reaction score
Supports
Brighton
The trophy should be left for the lower league clubs to enjoy a day out and it is a disgrace the U-21 teams entered it this year. Fair play to Coventry and Oxford, I hope that they enjoy their day out!

West Terrace

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
Pretty sure most people in our position would be going. It's easy to say you wouldn't.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Pretty sure most people in our position would be going. It's easy to say you wouldn't.

You've had a real miserable time of things I'll give you that but do you actually seriously give a flying fuck about winning this trophy. It's the 1st time in my life I was happy for us to lose and get knocked out earlier in the year. Coventry will eventually bounce back up through the league's and I'm sure you will have better days out at Wembley than this shite. It's basically just a friendly with a big crowd

West Terrace

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City
You've had a real miserable time of things I'll give you that but do you actually seriously give a flying fuck about winning this trophy. It's the 1st time in my life I was happy for us to lose and get knocked out earlier in the year. Coventry will eventually bounce back up through the league's and I'm sure you will have better days out at Wembley than this shite. It's basically just a friendly with a big crowd

You've been to Wembley before though, for us it's still the dream. If we had been as many times as you in the last 5-10 years maybe I wouldn't care and would stay at home. I'm 23 and all I've known is season after season of shite and that's not an exaggeration. I've only seen us finish in the top half 3/4 times in my life. Yeah it's a stupid competition but a day out at Wembley with 40k+ Cov fans is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I can't wait.

No guarantees we will bounce back as well. We don't even know where we will be playing in a year, who knows this could be our highest point for the next 5/10 years.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
You've been to Wembley before though, for us it's still the dream. If we had been as many times as you in the last 5-10 years maybe I wouldn't care and would stay at home. I'm 23 and all I've known is season after season of shite and that's not an exaggeration. I've only seen us finish in the top half 3/4 times in my life. Yeah it's a stupid competition but a day out at Wembley with 40k+ Cov fans is something I've dreamed about since I was a kid. I can't wait.

No guarantees we will bounce back as well. We don't even know where we will be playing in a year, who knows this could be our highest point for the next 5/10 years.

Yes the day out at Wembley doesn't actually interest me at all id prefer to win a promotion game with 3 or 4k away fans somewhere than 40k at Wembley but that's my opinion , I'm sure you will bounce back at some point as well. Enjoy your day.

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
Only if you are making the assumption that fans attending believe their attendance could legitimise the bringing in of u23 teams but don't care... Harvey can write all the guff he wants about an attendance at Wembley but it will take the agreement of the football league teams to introduce B teams. This will not happen and i'm not going to let scaremongering or protests get in the way of my kids seeing their team at Wembley for what could be the very last time.

This is my opinion and I suspect the opinion of the majority of fans attending so i do not see it as proof we care more about short term success

ThisTinpotLeague

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Harvey can write all the guff he wants about an attendance at Wembley but it will take the agreement of the football league teams to introduce B teams. This will not happen

It happened last summer.

Returning to your point - I'm sure you don't see it that way. I only said it was perfectly valid to see it that way, I didn't tell you what to think and I didn't call people who disagreed with me "morons" or "scaremongerers". Why can't we be acting how we think best for our clubs? Because we disagree with you?

Last edited:

Robie

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford United
I didn't call you a moron unless you believe B teams will be introduced as a result of the well supported final of the competition. I'm sure it is only Harvey that believes that, he seems to be in his own little world. I have faith in the football clubs with the vote that they will not sacrifice better supported games through the competition on the basis that 2 of the teams might make a buck at the final. It is clear to all that this experiment has failed, and I am glad it has.

I do not mean offence to my fellow fans; I took umbrage to the assertion that everyone attending was not bothered by u23 teams.

Fellow football fans choosing to attend or not, it is their decision, we are all on the same side and want the best for our club. Really and honestly I have the utmost respect for Coventry and Oxford fans choosing not to attend the final, I disagree with their reasoning but I admire their strength of belief to sacrifice a trip to Wembley. Other clubs telling us what we should do when they are not in the final can do one though.

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Problem is they aren't actually coventry fans. It's just an extra 20k plus pretend football fans who never go.
Not sure why you having a pop mate, happens at every club doesn't it?

Or have Sheffield utd never taken more people to Wembley than what they were getting at home fixtures at that time?

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Yes the day out at Wembley doesn't actually interest me at all id prefer to win a promotion game with 3 or 4k away fans somewhere than 40k at Wembley but that's my opinion , I'm sure you will bounce back at some point as well. Enjoy your day.
We won't be bouncing back anytime soon mate, we've never been further away from bouncing back. I'd be surprised if we were still in the football league within 5-10 years.

Pretty much anyone under the age of 35 will never have seen Coventry play at Wembley or be to young to remember so it was never gonna be boycotted.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
Not sure why you having a pop mate, happens at every club doesn't it?

Or have Sheffield utd never taken more people to Wembley than what they were getting at home fixtures at that time?

I'm not having a pop it happens at every club. I personally prefer winning games with just the regular fans that go to home or away games or both. It doesn't interest me having 40k there when 20k of them haven't been all year, I don't enjoy the day out at Wembley anyway that might change if we ever win there.

blademan89

Reaction score
Supports
sheffield united
We won't be bouncing back anytime soon mate, we've never been further away from bouncing back. I'd be surprised if we were still in the football league within 5-10 years.

Pretty much anyone under the age of 35 will never have seen Coventry play at Wembley or be to young to remember so it was never gonna be boycotted.

It wouldn't be boycotted as a whole by any club. I personally wouldn't go as a few on here aren't for both clubs but 90% of people will still go and that's entirely up to them.

coundon_skyblue

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry City

I couldn't care less about winning it really.

The "prize" is a day at Wembley and the chance to forget that this is the club's worst ever season.

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
It wouldn't be boycotted as a whole by any club. I personally wouldn't go as a few on here aren't for both clubs but 90% of people will still go and that's entirely up to them.
Well i would say more than 90% of Coventry fans are going, going what you were saying earlier we have about 250% of our fan base attending.

Coventry fans don't care what the competition it is, for many it is the first and maybe only chance to get to see Coventry play at the national stadium. We're not one of these clubs that get to Wembley pretty regularly through the play off etc. We could have been playing boreham wood u21s and it would still be 40k

I'm not having a pop it happens at every club. I personally prefer winning games with just the regular fans that go to home or away games or both. It doesn't interest me having 40k there when 20k of them haven't been all year, I don't enjoy the day out at Wembley anyway that might change if we ever win there.
Maybe you didn't intend to have a pop but the way you started banging on about city attendances in not one but several posts after make it seem like you were having a pop.

Optogas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I completely understand why the cov fans are going, I also accept that Oxford fans don't want to be out done by Cov. That's the way fans are. If you can't have the most fans, you want enough to at least be able to out sing the opposition. In an idea world two u23 sides would have made the final or Accrington v Fleetwood, but for Harvey luck would have it it's Cov v Oxford which is two of the top supported sides in the bottom two tiers would Portsmouth, Bristol Rovers, Sheffield utd, Bolton etc taken less? Who knows I accept I have been harsh on cov fans, who feel starved of success and have been royally screwed by all involved since the 90s, Oxford is probably a good yardstick so Five thousand down on last year with a high attendance from opposition, would have been ten thousand down against the Morecombes of the Efl. It's just so frustrating, when the final is going to be used as a yard stick. If it hadn't been Cov and it had been for eg: The blades v Pompey it would have been a much lower than expected turn out for the final, as both sets of fans have been so focal, but I accept it still would have been touching 60 thousand. So good luck to both, hope their is some form of protest and may Oxford win purely on the basis that they have fought back from the hell that is the conference. Utg

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
Congrats Coventry! Thats 3 wins in a row isnt it? I dont know what there fixtures are like now but maybe a small glimmer of hope?

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Disappointingly large crowd.
What happened to the boycott? Funny how people's opinions change when their team gets to Wembley.

Tom_CUFC

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Attendances down 54.6%, despite the big final crowd (English football fans and principles just don't go), yet it sounds like this farce will continue next year.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Congrats Coventry! Thats 3 wins in a row isnt it? I dont know what there fixtures are like now but maybe a small glimmer of hope?

Could have picked a better time to have an away tie at Brammall Lane at a time where Sheff Utd could secure promotion..

They're gone, it'll be interesting to see how they do next year because its not easy if you're not set up off the field.

Gashead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Attendances down 54.6%, despite the big final crowd (English football fans and principles just don't go), yet it sounds like this farce will continue next year.

I really hope not, because other than today the competition has undoubtedly been a disaster. It'll lead to the eventual scrapping of it I'm sure, Harvey won't get Cov and Oxford every year.

As for the boycott point, it's a shame but I feel for both sets of fanbases. Don't underestimate the power of daytrippers either, especially in Cov's case.

T.A

Reaction score
Supports
Berry
Could have picked a better time to have an away tie at Brammall Lane at a time where Sheff Utd could secure promotion..

They're gone, it'll be interesting to see how they do next year because its not easy if you're not set up off the field.

90% they are down already but wins breed confindence and they'll wanna keep playing no matter who it's against. Sheffield United have very rarely slipped up this season but they need to be up for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!