Feeling positive / negative with 3 weeks to go?

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
How are you feeling about your own and others fortunes with 3 weeks to go then?
For us, chuffed to bits with Lee Tomlin joining us on a permanent deal, he really is uber important to us.
We've also brought Gary O'Neill in from Norwich who will have the experience to lead our young side.
€3M on Hordur Magusson could be a disaster but could be a master stroke as I know naff all about him but if he was schooled at Juve, he surely knows how to defend.
Add in Brownhill, ODowda (don't know much about him TBH but seems a prospect) and a couple of youth players and we're looking a lot stronger than last year as long as we keep hold of Flinty and Kodjia (which won't be easy).
I'm hopeful of a season without struggle, don't think we'll crash the top end but am confident of a mid table position at the moment. Little Lee has improved the 'spine' of our side which could make for improvement.
We have a couple of glaring problems which, I'm sure will be sorted. Kodj will, probably be missing all of January due to the ACON tournament and we desperately need a decent right back, hopefully Adam Matthews but Sunderland aren't letting him go YET!
Talk of Tammy (stupid name) Abraham joining us on a years loan from Chelsea once the U21's competition has finished so add Matthews and we're pretty much ready. With the stadium up to full capacity, we seem a contented lot in BS3 at the moment.
For the others, Huddersfield intrigue me. So many signings of players without English experience. It could be very good or it could be an absolute car crash!
Blackburn are another club that I find of interest, very few signings and potentially losing Hanley. Without investment in the team, I can, with all respect, see them struggling.
Newcastle and maybe Norwich look very, very strong and anyone who's up with those 2 are going to be in the mix for the auto's in my opinion, not that I think we'll be up with them.
I will go with 12th / 14th for us and would be happy with that TBH.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
O'Neil is a very smart bit of business, promoted four times from this league and featured 31 times in the PL last season. Brownhill is a prospect, but a good option to have in the middle if his performances at Barnsley from last season are anything to go by. Tomlin and O'Dowda I'm absolutely delighted with. Tomlin is without doubt one of the better players in this division, and O'Dowda has been touted as 'the future of Irish football' by their very own manager. A very exciting young winger who hopefully Johnson can progress. Magnusson is a big gamble, but we wouldn't be spending close to £3m on a centre half if we weren't certain. Happy to trust our scouting network's judgement on this one, given they found Kodjia last year before anyone else did.

Couple more signings and we'll look alright for top 10. Abraham to come in, and probably Matthews as well. We'll have a good squad with very good good options beyond the first 11.

As for other teams, the teams that finished in the POs last season still look strong. Newcastle and Norwich look good, and Villa potentially with the amount of money they have now at their dispense. Huddersfield, like us, could well go under the radar and have made some very interesting signings. Keep hold of Wells and they could surprise a few next season.

JJH

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
U going top 10 then JJH? Blimey!
I don't expect it, but if you spend close to £10m in this division and with the players we have we should be looking at it IMO.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Anybody else apart from us City fans? If it's just us commenting delete the thread as I didn't want it to be another City only one.

Liam_SWFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
So far so good we've not lost any key players and despite only making one signing so far Steven Fletcher is an excellent one and completes our forward line. Think we're probably still in need of 3 or 4 new players but we know it will definitely be sorted by August.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
So far so good we've not lost any key players and despite only making one signing so far Steven Fletcher is an excellent one and completes our forward line. Think we're probably still in need of 3 or 4 new players but we know it will definitely be sorted by August.
I think yourselves and Derby are the sides most likely to be competing with the Premier league drop outs TBH Liam.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
I can't wait.
We will probably finish bottom but I actually think we will start well and be in the top half for a month or two with the momentum from last year.
Need more signings - there are more promised - that could be the difference between 24th and 20th. So let's see who he signs.
Whatever happens I'm sure it will be an experience. Can't say getting dicked every week will be fun but I genuinely don't think we will. Our home form is crucial if we have any chance.
Roll on forest away hopefully on the sunshine.

SMH

Reaction score
Supports
Wigan
Our season depends on three things really

Keeping key players fit

Will Grigg cutting it in the Championship

Nick Powell staying fit, changing his ways, cutting the attitude and investing himself in enjoying his football again.

Feeling fairly positive now after this week. Looking forward to Powell vs Tomlin on the opening day, Ashton Gate isn't big enough for both their egos. Powell is basically a thinner younger version of Tomlin.

Haillay7

Reaction score
Supports
Newcastle United
Really looking forward to this season now. In regards to transfers I think we've signed sensibly and albeit slightly over the odds at times, it's good to see us not messing around if the money's there.

Trying to be as unbiased and stay as objective as possible but from what I can see I think most pundits/fans have us as their favourite to win it and with the squad we have (currently) I think, if you don't mind me saying it, is fair.

News going through as I'm typing this that Wijnaldum to Liverpool is looking likely and if the supposed £27M is correct then I think we'd reinvest it straight away with our defence being clearly being the weakest area in the squad.

As I'm sure you've seen me say it a few times, I really enjoyed the last time (09/10) we were in the second tier and what with Rafa staying, it's the most optimistic I've felt as a fan in a long time. We have a fantastic manager at the helm and a great new initiative for home games that will hopefully take that optimism in to the stands.

I'm hopeful/optimistic for a pretty good season as it stands. Only the one friendly thus far but winning 6-0 is ways nice.

In regards to other teams, I've become a bit of a layman and apart from last seasons challengers this year will be an education for me as a general football fan too. A good number of new grounds for me this year so I can't wait.

Reactions: JJH

Ciderhead

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City and Aaron Rodgers
I can't wait.
We will probably finish bottom but I actually think we will start well and be in the top half for a month or two with the momentum from last year.
Need more signings - there are more promised - that could be the difference between 24th and 20th. So let's see who he signs.
Whatever happens I'm sure it will be an experience. Can't say getting dicked every week will be fun but I genuinely don't think we will. Our home form is crucial if we have any chance.
Yeah it's hard to see you finishing anywhere other than bottom but I can't see you being walked over all season, you'll put up a fight for sure. As awesome as the away day in August will be I really wish we weren't playing you so early - that's not going to be an easy game.

As for us, I'm far too optimistic right now. Sensible head is saying top half will be a great effort with how competitive the league is this year but I really think we've got a shot of a playoff push

91SPP

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
We haven't sold anyone of note, we haven't bought anyone of note.

Will Hughes will hopefully be fit from day one, and I've got to believe Nigel Pearson has more about him than Paul Clement and Darren Wassall.

I don't know if we will make any significant signings. I know a striker seems most likely, but as with Bent, Weimann and Blackmann, he'll probably come in and end up playing wide of an attacking three. I doubt anyone will shift Chris Martin, nor do I think we'll change our system despite spending the summer trying to find another way of fitting in our best players.

George Thorne being out for the opening weeks is a huge, huge blow! I just hope Hendrick can step up in that position, otherwise it could be a slow start from ourselves.

I'd be surprised to see us finish outside the top six, but whether it ends in promotion this year is anyone's guess.

SF_

Reaction score
Supports
Preston North End
No major surgery for us, re-signed three of the players we had on loan last season, brought in a back-up goalkeeper, a new targetman on loan, some good defensive competition in Tommy Spurr and Ben Pringle probably being our main bit of business.

Just a case of maintaining the team spirit, staying organised and hoping we can improve our goals tally with Pringle's & Gallagher's delivery, a fully fit Beckford and with an out & out targetman to aim at rather than Garner fighting a losing battle most weeks.

I think a top 10 finish is within our reach but with the amount of money being thrown about at this level, staying up is the sole aim.

Quietly confident we'll do alright again.

AnkleBiter

Reaction score
Supports
Udders
Twitter
@HuddersLuke
We have no idea. We could use lots of examples of how foreign players have been both a success and a failure.

All the reports are very positive and we've scored some great team goals in what has been a really successful pre season for us so far.

Not sure what is realistic for us though, I look at teams that were around 9th/10th last year and think we could definitely finish up there, but the top 6 seemed a class ahead last season so unless everything clicks magically for us I can't see us troubling the top 6.

Either way, this is now our fifth season up here (!) and it's the first time we've not had a dull English manager that is happy to defend our way to 19th every season. So whatever happens, it's definitely more interesting for us. And with the cheap season tickets, home games should be a lot better too.

Magic

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds United
Same. Happy with the manager. Not happy with the squad atm so another disappointing season on the cards as things stand.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
I can't wait.
You, essentially, can't lose. Nobody is expecting you to survive at this level so you're getting a 'free' go at it!
Enjoy the ride, with all possible respect, it must be quite a nice feeling going in to a season with little or no pressure?

Haillay7

Reaction score
Supports
Newcastle United
You, essentially, can't lose. Nobody is expecting you to survive at this level so you're getting a 'free' go at it!
Enjoy the ride, with all possible respect, it must be quite a nice feeling going in to a season with little or no pressure?

And it must be a nice thought that every single away allocation will be sold out with everyone over the moon that you're in the division.

Haillay7

Reaction score
Supports
Newcastle United
Spin it the other way and we're knackered if we don't win the league by 20 points, qualify for the Intertoto Cup and sell Sissoko as a PLC.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
Spin it the other way and we're knackered if we don't win the league by 20 points, qualify for the Intertoto Cup and sell Sissoko as a PLC.
Pressure, PRESSURE!!!!
The rest of us will be trying to trip you up as well. :)
In all seriousness, the majority of Toon supporters I know online seemed to really enjoy themselves at this level before and I hope you do again.

CharlieAdamno1Fan

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City fc
Feeling comfortable and can't see many 3-0 or 4-0 home hidings this season.
new stadium so yeah its alright never know might scrape a play off place.

markwwfc1992

Reaction score
Supports
Wolves / Detroit Lions
We will either win the league or be relegated depending on the takeover, either way can't see us being in this league next year.

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
Far more positive than I'd thought we'd be. Still need a good striker and another defender or two. We do have one on trial currently and he'll probably play most of the game against Swindon tomorrow.

Encouraged that we've seem to have done our work early this time around.

Tshibola was a blow, but I doubt getting £5m for someone who started 7 games last season makes us any weaker. Only player we really needed to replace from last season was Robson-Kanu, but I think Swift and Beerens are more than adequate for that task.

Still the risk of an inexperienced manager, but he says the right things, and a number of our signings have said working under him is one the reasons they chose to join us over other clubs.

Bartonyellow

Reaction score
Supports
Burton Albion
Correct - it is nice, however it will not last. Get gubbed everyweek and the novelty of been in the championship will soon wear off. Like going to Barbados and it raining every day from 9am to 8pm, the fact you are somewhere amazing would wear thin if it's pissing it down.
Also - we are used to winning. 3 seasons now of a play off final, one title and one runners up spot means we have been spoilt with seeing clean sheets, victories and happy faces. The crowd could turn if we are cut adrift by Xmas. People like to see a winning team, that's why if teams get relegated and do well ur crowds don't dip - if anything the other way. I'm sure Newcastle could sell out everyweek if they play well and are winning.

Will nice to see the away end full.
Come drink the town dry (if you can ) and enjoy a mither free day. Be careful where you park though - More wardens around back end of last season.

Liam_SWFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sheffield Wednesday
Been quite impressed with Burton's transfer business so far to be fair, certainly showing ambition. Even if they do get relegated they look like they'll be in a decent position to challenge for promotion again, unlike Yeovil a few years ago who filled their squad out with short term loans.

THE TERRACEMAN

Reaction score
Supports
BURTON ALBION
I am a lot more positive, Nigel Clough knows what he is doing, he is the perfect fit at Albion. Quite happy to be underdogs every week, every one will under estimate us as always. Not expecting anything but a battle to stay up but battle we will. The Pirelli will be a different situation to what a lot of players and clubs experience regularly in this division. Incoming players coming in so far look like good fits and there are more to come. If we do go down it will be fighting and I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Bring on the Forest !

Luke_1884

Reaction score
Supports
Derby County
Twitter
@Barraclive
We haven't sold anyone of note, we haven't bought anyone of note.

Will Hughes will hopefully be fit from day one, and I've got to believe Nigel Pearson has more about him than Paul Clement and Darren Wassall.

I don't know if we will make any significant signings. I know a striker seems most likely, but as with Bent, Weimann and Blackmann, he'll probably come in and end up playing wide of an attacking three. I doubt anyone will shift Chris Martin, nor do I think we'll change our system despite spending the summer trying to find another way of fitting in our best players.

George Thorne being out for the opening weeks is a huge, huge blow! I just hope Hendrick can step up in that position, otherwise it could be a slow start from ourselves.

I'd be surprised to see us finish outside the top six, but whether it ends in promotion this year is anyone's guess.

What he said.

I think we'll start slowly but be there or there abouts in the top 6 again.

RUFC1986

Reaction score
Supports
Rotherham United
Well, it's pretty disastrous at the minute. The Summer started off with a disappointment, in Neil Warnock choosing not to continue on the ride with us. But the ambition to go and purchase the current Scottish FA Cup winning manager from a team who have the possibility to get big crowds was heartening. It showed ambition. Then disaster struck. 12 players released leaving a Squad of 12, not including young pros. Pole position to sign Bradshaw, goes to Barnsley. Pole position to sign Gregory, we cant afford the Transfer Fee. And now one of our only two Strikers at the Club, is out for the Season. We have subsequently brought 2 players in, a Winger and a sub GK. Hmmmm.

It has all the Hallmarks of a Blackpool or Bolton Season, but, and luckily for all related to RUFC, we aren't the finished article. They were. They were in disarray and never likely to turn that around. A large percentage of the X1 that ended last Season in a great run of form are still here. We've finished 4th bottom the last two Seasons, but we all believe we were significantly stronger than the Final Tables dictated. We have capital to spend, I'm sure I saw somewhere last year we were the only club in the Division to make a profit and we are a well run outfit whatever. Our Home record will once again be strong, and we should now have the knowledge to set ourselves up better away from home.

I'm predicting a Season of struggle, of course. Anything else would be delusional. But there's always a crisis team. There's a significantly small club in the division. And also a few other clubs such as Reading, who are one downward trajectory(apart from when they play us at the MadStad. 7 games 0 goals). Watch out for that 4th bottom again. It will have Rotherham United's name on it come game 46.

Ciderup

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol sport FC
There are 5 weeks to go yet RUFC1986, still plenty of time to get a few in.

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
And also a few other clubs such as Reading, who are one downward trajectory

Despite finishing in a higher position last season than we had the season before.

Though I suppose the FA Cup Quarter finals was a massive failure from the FA Cup Semi Finals of the previous season.

City169

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol City
We will either win the league or be relegated depending on the takeover, either way can't see us being in this league next year.
I think you will be regardless of the takeover. If it goes through and he's a decent owner I'd see you going up in the season after this one as we're approaching the last month of the transfer window now and time is starting to run out and what you have (based on last years squad and a transfer tracker that hasn't been updated since last week) is good enough for a fairly boring middle of the road season.

I'm feeling positive about Bristol City, but also expecting a boring middle of the road season, the positivity is because that's a fair improvement on last season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tbwomble

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!