Fixtures 25th March 2023

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
What a poor game between Mansfield and Sutton. Aside from a mad couple of minutes at the start of the 2nd half where Sutton had a couple of half decent chances, neither side looked like troubling flashscores.

3 games without a goal and 4 without a win in March have pretty much finished off our playoff chances you would think.

Gunit

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton
4 of our next 5 against current top 7, think we’re done. Still a great season for us obviously.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Got what we deserved.

An absolutely atrocious performance topping off a terrible 8 days for us where not only have we failed to score, but haven’t even looked like creating any chances.

Anyway that defeat ends our top 3 hopes. The fixtures only get tougher and as I’ve been banging on about, we simply don’t have anywhere near enough quality to hurt the teams at the top who are organised. The only way this team scores is through a cock up at the back, poor marking on a set piece of very occasionally a long range pot shot. That’s why we’ve got wins against struggling teams but have no idea how to beat teams at the top end as they don’t gift. We’ll never open a team up, just not enough quality or inventiveness to do that.

So top 3 is gone (not mathematically but realistically when you account for our fixtures) so we’ve somehow got to grind out enough points to make sure we stay in the top 7. Then try to take it to pens in the playoffs.

I don’t personally think we’ll make the top 7, but there’s a chance as we currently have a little bit of a cushion.

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
4 of our next 5 against current top 7, think we’re done. Still a great season for us obviously.
If we can maintain a position in the top 10 that would be amazing, two top finishes in a row at this level would be a great achievement, and a great base to build upon.

ForzaCounty

Massive Member
Reaction score
Supports
Stockport Culture Club
Fair play Swindon they did very well for a ten-man side, though obviously I must caveat that by pointing out County did absolutely nothing to make the advantage count.

Other results leave us even close to the race for 3rd, but we can't go anywhere if we keep playing like this, need to find a plan B or everyone we play will be able to neuter us.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
At the risk of stating the bloody obvious, it’s looking very bleak now for the bottom 2.

Brox

Reaction score
Supports
Stevenage
Disappointing afternoon. 3-1 loss to Salford. They did a job on us in the end unfortunately, first half they had a lot of the ball without ever really threatening, the exception to that being the one opening they created which should have been a goal, a ball fizzed across the face of goal, looked for all the world like a tap in for Lund but Smith some how got back to concede a corner, from that corner they had a free header at the near post but it ballooned over the bar.

We had the quantity of first half chances but only one clear cut header for Sweeney which was very well saved by Cairns. Everything else we created was pretty routine for the keeper to deal with.

We didn't do enough in the second half, was very stop start, not helped by a lengthy stoppage for an injury to Jon McCracken. Just after the hour mark, Salford caught us out with a free kick, we had everyone back to defend the six yard box and bizarrely left Mallan free on the edge of the box and his pea roller found the bottom corner through a crowded box of players.

After that we huffed and puffed but lacked the quality to find a way back into the game. Salford understandably slowed the game down at this point, and having just been booked for timewasting their keeper launched a goal kick long into our half, the flick-on wasn't defended and Hendry managed to persist/bundle his way through on goal and he finished the chance clinically to double their lead.

We did manage to pull a goal back in the 89th minute through Luke Norris. Good persistence by Jamie Reid to evade a challenge or two before pulling back to Norris who fired it home. We were given brief hope of pulling off an unlikely point when the Fourth Official put 12 minutes up for added time but promptly conceded directly from a long throw that ridiculously took out our entire defence and Matt Smith smashed it home unmarked in the area to kill the game.

More huff and puff after that, no quality and stoppage time played out with no further action. A disappointing afternoon against a side we've often struggled against (6 defeats in 7 before today), doesn't get any easier as we take on Northampton next week, just the 1 win in our last 16 vs the Cobblers and no wins at Sixfields, bodes well.

Conker

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town FC
Twitter
@CONKS__
Head clash. Textbook Mansfield fan . Keep working on your football brand, whatever that is.

What was the bandage for mate? Don’t get ratty.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Got what we deserved.

An absolutely atrocious performance topping off a terrible 8 days for us where not only have we failed to score, but haven’t even looked like creating any chances.

Anyway that defeat ends our top 3 hopes. The fixtures only get tougher and as I’ve been banging on about, we simply don’t have anywhere near enough quality to hurt the teams at the top who are organised. The only way this team scores is through a cock up at the back, poor marking on a set piece of very occasionally a long range pot shot. That’s why we’ve got wins against struggling teams but have no idea how to beat teams at the top end as they don’t gift. We’ll never open a team up, just not enough quality or inventiveness to do that.

So top 3 is gone (not mathematically but realistically when you account for our fixtures) so we’ve somehow got to grind out enough points to make sure we stay in the top 7. Then try to take it to pens in the playoffs.

I don’t personally think we’ll make the top 7, but there’s a chance as we currently have a little bit of a cushion.

Of course you will make top 7 minimum. I thought you looked a good side at Valley Parade in midweek.

The clubs chasing the top 7, Mansfield and Sutton not in the best of form. Maybe Barrow with a late run to trouble the current top 7?. doubt it though

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Spot on mate.
What's your opinion of Flynn mate? I didn't realise how long you'd gone without a win before your previous match! I thought you looked pretty well drilled today, surprised you went on such a winless streak. I think both us and you could be decent sides next season if we sort out our attacks. Mansfield obviously did you up like a kipper regarding Johnson. Jamille Matt should bag in a Flynn team, you'd have probably won that match today if he's fit and in form.

hellogregory

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
Of course you will make top 7 minimum. I thought you looked a good side at Valley Parade in midweek.

The clubs chasing the top 7, Mansfield and Sutton not in the best of form. Maybe Barrow with a late run to trouble the current top 7?. doubt it though
A good side? But did you ever feel like we were going to score apart from Gibson’s late strike from distance?

No, we played alright in midfield but were totally ineffective in the final third.

Optimistic Poolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
At the risk of stating the bloody obvious, it’s looking very bleak now for the bottom 2.
Askey has came in and we have picked up decent results to be fair. Just too little too late with Crawley finding form in line with their games in hand they had over us.

Think it’s pretty much game over now unfortunately

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
A good side? But did you ever feel like we were going to score apart from Gibson’s late strike from distance?

No, we played alright in midfield but were totally ineffective in the final third.

Granted you didn't create much, but looked a solid side who have more than enough to be in the playoffs at least in my opinion. Out of interest why didn't Gibson start on Tuesday?

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Askey has came in and we have picked up decent results to be fair. Just too little too late with Crawley finding form in line with their games in hand they had over us.

Think it’s pretty much game over now unfortunately
Aye more than likely, we battered them last half hour, the side as we keep saying is not a bottom 2 one anymore but results keep going against us, and we cant win. I'm not sticking a fork in us yet but we've had a good few minutes in the microwave.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
We were fucking dire really but to be expected with 8-9 missing. The red card so early should still hand us the win on a plate but we missed the penalty and stuttered as we have been for weeks. Could have easily fizzled to a 0-0 tbh. Managed to find a goal 10 minutes from the end.

If we get play-offs, we'll stumble into them and then of course, you never know really as it's just a shit or bust situation.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
A hugely depleted squad but yet again we find a way. Unbelievable effort. Bowie played an hour in Spain on Thursday night but still stuck his hand up to be on the bench today. Some team and a great day of results.

Optimistic Poolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Aye more than likely, we battered them last half hour, the side as we keep saying is not a bottom 2 one anymore but results keep going against us, and we cant win. I'm not sticking a fork in us yet but we've had a good few minutes in the microwave.
I’ve pretty much accepted it now. It’s all came from Raj and poor appointments. The Hartley debacle at the start of the season has basically gave us a 9 game disadvantage from those around us.

We are levels above where we have been all season but it’s too little too late

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Another wasted week for us, failing to see winning positions out.

Tight game, Pools miles better than when we first played them, both sides hard to beat in a very tight game.

Paul Smyth gave us the lead, but we failed to build on it, McDonald came on and caused us a few problems. Poor sub from Wellens to bring McCart on for Sweeney, although Ed Turns messed up for the goal I thought.

We crumbled again like last week when we conceded the equaliser and Pools should really have won it, last 10mins we panicked again and was lucky not to lose after being hard to beat for most of the game.

Casey

Reaction score
Supports
Creepy
It will be horrible for Rochdale to hear me say this but they look a far better side than we have for much of the season. Mellor and the little 7 were very good and the 11 was OK too. I will say the stuffing went out of you when you conceded the two quick goals though.

On our part. We have gone back to the style we played under Yems. It's a ball over the top for Nadersan and others to run onto. Not great but it works for us as most of the players we have were picked up as bargain basement freebies and expecting them to ping about like Man City was asking too much.

Four points clear and a game in hand. We're not out of the woods but the fact we're in with a chance is a flaming miracle.

Casey

joethegill

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
The season (same with fox, Magloire, Dyche and probably a few others) Probably seen the last of him play for us. Why are you interested in him in particular?
No major reason, I just rate him highly.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
I’ve pretty much accepted it now. It’s all came from Raj and poor appointments. The Hartley debacle at the start of the season has basically gave us a 9 game disadvantage from those around us.

The nucleus of the squad should challenge for the top 7 in the NL with Askey in charge but I'm not sure if I have the appetite to bother at a non league Pools again. Especially as I reckon Raj will fuck it up and pull the plug come November following a series of poor results, culminating in a depressing Tuesday night home defeat off Ebbsfleet.

AnotherStagsFan

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
What a horrible side Sutton are, they make us look like angels! Another terrible 90 minutes, we don’t look like scoring a goal, never mind winning a game!

Gills4years

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham

Oi! we had a 23 game disadvantage - the first half of the season - before the cavalry arrived over the hill. We are still 7 goals behind every other team in the scoring column but at least Harris has been given what he needed.

Better players is the key, as you are finding but that bit of extra investment has seen us take 30 points for the last 15 games. You did not have that advantage even though you have improved your quality massively.

Without our investment we would probably be close to being mathematically relegated now.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool

Tight game, Pools miles better than when we first played them, both sides hard to beat in a very tight game.

Paul Smyth gave us the lead, but we failed to build on it, McDonald came on and caused us a few problems. Poor sub from Wellens to bring McCart on for Sweeney, although Ed Turns messed up for the goal I thought.

We crumbled again like last week when we conceded the equaliser and Pools should really have won it, last 10mins we panicked again and was lucky not to lose after being hard to beat for most of the game.
You were lucky to get a point but we just can't catch a break at the minute, spirited displays, can't knock the lads etc but it's just not happening to the extent we need. That's not a sleight on Askey or the players who have generally given it their best this year (more a case of god awful managerial appointments) but it looks as if we will fall short and the blame lies on one man and one man only despite his protestations.

Wasnt a fan of your time wasting and general antics today but good luck in L1 next year, always had time for Orient, proper club and fans.

Kauto Star

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City

Surely you are not going to blow it now, are you?

Boz

Reaction score
Supports
Tranmere Rovers
1-1 at Colchester. Rovers looked the better team in the first half, Saunders opening his scoring account for us, after a great ball from Hawkes, hint of offside though our commentary team said not and hard to be sure on the camera angle. Had a few chances to extend the lead, though Colchester fluffed one of their own. Second half was a tale of 3 penalty shouts, 1 given to Colchester, one each not given. The clueless Carl Boyeson waving cards around like the game was a bloodbath whereas the reality was far from that. Probably did well to take a point in the end, with our defenders back to their best and determination and effort partially compensating for Colchester’s bigger talent pool.

Optimistic Poolie

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
You were lucky to get a point but we just can't catch a break at the minute, spirited displays, can't knock the lads etc but it's just not happening to the extent we need. That's not a sleight on Askey or the players who have generally given it their best this year (more a case of god awful managerial appointments) but it looks as if we will fall short and the blame lies on one man and one man only despite his protestations.

Wasnt a fan of your time wasting and general antics today but good luck in L1 next year, always had time for Orient, proper club and fans.
Hitting the woodwork twice late on, fine margins at the moment, and unfortunately they are always going against us

PuB

Reaction score
Supports
Gillingham
Fantastic performance from us, limited Carlisle to only 3 shots on target, the first of which came on about 80 minutes and pulled a decent save from Morris. We were well on top in the second half and as the game went on it was increasingly likely that we’d be the ones breaking the deadlock. And we did it, eventually, in the 95th minute. The place went mad.

Carlisle are a good side, they’re organised, they’re tough but they also like to play it about a bit, I can well see why they were 3rd at the start of play. I also expect they’ll be there or there abouts come the end of the season despite what hellogregory says.

475 travelling fans is flipping good too, they got a hearty round of applause for their efforts

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROB WALKER
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!