Grimsby Takeover

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I was thinking more when things are 'normal' that they can't just come in and double your budget.

R.e. the salary cap, don't forgot agent fees, transfer fees, pension contributions, tax and national insurance also need to be included in it so it looks like you'll still have room but not necessarily as much as has been worked out there.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Sorry thought you meant for this season. Which is more important at the moment, due to our position and the dross Runaway signed and the large size of the squad and severe lack of quality, probably only 8 or 9 out of the 29 that are good enough for this league.

Don't think we have paid a transfer fee this season, certainly didn't last season according to accounts. Doubt agent fees will be much nor signing on fees if any, and surely tax/national insurance are included in a players wages?

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
Fully expect Hurst to try and take a few of our players. Eisa and Gilliead will be the two I imagine he wants.

They're two of our better players, unless Grimsby have money to spend I assume they won't be going.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Sorry thought you meant for this season. Which is more important at the moment, due to our position and the dross Runaway signed and the large size of the squad and severe lack of quality, probably only 8 or 9 out of the 29 that are good enough for this league.

Don't think we have paid a transfer fee this season, certainly didn't last season according to accounts. Doubt agent fees will be much nor signing on fees if any, and surely tax/national insurance are included in a players wages?
Employers also pay NIC on employee wages, around 14% IIRC (not under all categories, which are dependent on pay). Unless I'm getting mixed up and that's just on benefit in kind, which I doubt is applicable to footballers unless they have additional private medical care.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Employers also pay NIC on employee wages, around 14% IIRC (not under all categories, which are dependent on pay). Unless I'm getting mixed up and that's just on benefit in kind, which I doubt is applicable to footballers unless they have additional private medical care.
I see, well even with the conservative estimates of 1.1m of the budget cap used we should still have around 250k which is enough to get 4 more players in on the league average wage this Jan. Of course they will only be paid for another few months this season so could even pay them more but then means budgeting for next season too.

Not sure how much room we would have for that as I can't remember how much of the dross he signed are contracted for next season.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Fully expect Hurst to try and take a few of our players. Eisa and Gilliead will be the two I imagine he wants.

They're two of our better players, unless Grimsby have money to spend I assume they won't be going.
No offence but if Hurst tries to raid your shower of shit for players then my confidence in him may drain a little.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
No offence but if Hurst tries to raid your shower of shit for players then my confidence in him may drain a little.
The two players I mentioned would be Grimsby's best players, both players are wanted by L1 clubs. The rest of our team isn't great.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
The two players I mentioned would be Grimsby's best players, both players are wanted by L1 clubs. The rest of our team isn't great.
Nah Matty Pollock would still be our best player, wanted by Premiership and Championship clubs.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Nah Matty Pollock would still be our best player, wanted by Premiership and Championship clubs.
Matty Pollock Grimsby best player....If ever the was a apt name

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Gilliead is decent, but I agree that Pollock is the best player across both squads from what I've seen. Hendrie and Waterfall would get in most sides in the division too. Eisa hasn't been impressive the few times I've seen him, I'd go as far as saying he was poor against us a few weeks ago even. Tilley and Wright are arguably better wingers than him, but I'm only going off the couple of times I've seen Eisa.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Don't rate Tilly at all, he came on the other night and barely ran.

The only players in our squad of nearly 30 I would keep past this summer, are Macca, Pollock, Waterfall, Hendrie, Preston, Clifton, Wright, and Morais.

The rest I wouldn't be bothered to see leave. Obviously Russell should stick to being a coach, and some of the others may come good under Hurst like Idehen who has potential and Hewitt who is a good player for multiple positions. Spokes is another with potential and had the odd decent game.

No doubt going forward is a massive weakness, Green is well past his best and is probably one of the worst strikers I've seen in a town shirt, Hanson is permanently injured (but if fit could be a target man that Hurst likes). The rest are either not good enough for league 2 or not yet experienced enough for it.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Don't rate Tilly at all, he came on the other night and barely ran.

The only players in our squad of nearly 30 I would keep past this summer, are Macca, Pollock, Waterfall, Hendrie, Preston, Clifton, Wright, and Morais.

The rest I wouldn't be bothered to see leave. Obviously Russell should stick to being a coach, and some of the others may come good under Hurst like Idehen who has potential and Hewitt who is a good player for multiple positions. Spokes is another with potential and had the odd decent game.

No doubt going forward is a massive weakness, Green is well past his best and is probably one of the worst strikers I've seen in a town shirt, Hanson is permanently injured (but if fit could be a target man that Hurst likes). The rest are either not good enough for league 2 or not yet experienced enough for it.
Did you watch the Cheltenham match? Tilley was quality in that. He needs a settled run in the side, like Vernam did last season. I really like Tilley from what I've seen. Direct, fast, can run with the ball and doesn't shy out of a battle.

Not sure what you see in Preston, though? Started the season well but is the weak link in our defence. Loads of our goals conceded come from that side. Left back is arguably the position we need to strengthen in the most for me, even over a number 9 or some midfield creativity as we do have Hanson and Williams who could do well there if fit and in the team.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
I rate Tilley, I don’t rate Preston or Waterfall. Weird how opinions work. Every single time Cambridge attacked it was down our left hand side.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Left side is the weak link yes, but I'd argue that is because of left wing not left back. Preston has no cover unlike Hendrie, he both attacking and defending because he has no one there with him.

Tilley just reminds me of one of those players that has a good game then bad games, not what we need. He's playing ok today, but last game he came on and looked uninterested, hardly moved or chased anything.

Going forward is our weak point we have no idea what to do when in the final third, only Morais has a clue but all he is doing is crossing to nobody. We have strikers that cants score, can't hold the ball up and can't pass, and like you say no creativity in midfield.

We are conceding a lot yes but if we were scoring more or keeping the ball better up front that would relieve pressure on the defence. We are certainly weak all over. I wouldn't really be sorry to see any player leave but those 8 for me are the only ones good enough for lge 2 at the moment.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Left side is the weak link yes, but I'd argue that is because of left wing not left back. Preston has no cover unlike Hendrie, he both attacking and defending because he has no one there with him.

Tilley just reminds me of one of those players that has a good game then bad games, not what we need. He's playing ok today, but last game he came on and looked uninterested, hardly moved or chased anything.

Going forward is our weak point we have no idea what to do when in the final third, only Morais has a clue but all he is doing is crossing to nobody. We have strikers that cants score, can't hold the ball up and can't pass, and like you say no creativity in midfield.

We are conceding a lot yes but if we were scoring more or keeping the ball better up front that would relieve pressure on the defence. We are certainly weak all over. I wouldn't really be sorry to see any player leave but those 8 for me are the only ones good enough for lge 2 at the moment.
Yeah, Morais with a fit Hanson could be decent but that's a big if. Glad we got Morais on an 18 month deal going off his first handful of games.

Fair point on the left hand side too, the right does just seem a bit more solid all the way down it.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I rate Tilley, I don’t rate Preston or Waterfall. Weird how opinions work. Every single time Cambridge attacked it was down our left hand side.
Hurst will get a tune out of Waterfall I think, he's much better suited to that type of manager than Holloway.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

Despite the set back of Shutes dropping out, looks like takeover is back on, shareholders to vote on us becoming a ltd company instead of plc and Stockwood and Pettit to buy Fentys shares and become directors with Fenty leaving.

Posh Harry

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

Despite the set back of Shutes dropping out, looks like takeover is back on, shareholders to vote on us becoming a ltd company instead of plc and Stockwood and Pettit to buy Fentys shares and become directors with Fenty leaving.
This is great news.

Even though we will be in the National League, the club will at least be able to move forward for the first time in years. UTFM

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
This is great news.

Even though we will be in the National League, the club will at least be able to move forward for the first time in years. UTFM
Normally moving from a plc to ltd co is seen in the financial world as a bit dodgy.

There is less public scrutiny of financial dealings and directors can sell their shares to who they like without the regulation of the authorities who on the whole have rules in place to protect existing shareholders.

I suppose the question you should be asking is do you trust the new shareholders, however these new shareholders can change at the drop of a hat with this new structure.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
Normally moving from a plc to ltd co is seen in the financial world as a bit dodgy.

There is less public scrutiny of financial dealings and directors can sell their shares to who they like without the regulation of the authorities who on the whole have rules in place to protect existing shareholders.

I suppose the question you should be asking is do you trust the new shareholders, however these new shareholders can change at the drop of a hat with this new structure.

If a Ltd company is taken over do the new owners have to offer to buy all shares? One theory is as a PLC because they are buying the majority they will have to offer to buy all shares. Does moving to Ltd before taking over stop that?

edit: Nevermind, just seen the shareholders notice and this is stated that if the resolution 1 doesn't pass to become a ltd company, then if they bought Fenty's 41% of shares it would trigger a mandatory bid of all remaining shares. Which I guess is one of the reasons to become Ltd.

It also states a new tag along right will be inserted into the articles of association of GTFC that any future sale of the majority of shares will not happen without the minority shareholders being able to sell their shares at the same price.

Last edited:

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Fantastic news given it looked dead and buried 10 days ago.

Now I’m slightly more comfortable with going down

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
If a Ltd company is taken over do the new owners have to offer to buy all shares? One theory is as a PLC because they are buying the majority they will have to offer to buy all shares. Does moving to Ltd before taking over stop that?

edit: Nevermind, just seen the shareholders notice and this is stated that if the resolution 1 doesn't pass to become a ltd company, then if they bought Fenty's 41% of shares it would trigger a mandatory bid of all remaining shares. Which I guess is one of the reasons to become Ltd.

It also states a new tag along right will be inserted into the articles of association of GTFC that any future sale of the majority of shares will not happen without the minority shareholders being able to sell their shares at the same price.
What about the new stadium at Great Wakes. When will that be ready to move into?

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
What about the new stadium at Great Wakes. When will that be ready to move into?
Great Coates? That's been a Dodo for a few years now. It was Peaks Parkway after that. Now it's simultaneously Freeman Street (essentially Grimsby High Street) and the docks. There's potential big regeneration grants available. I sorely hope it will move on a pace with the new ownership. The new Chairman, Jason Stockwood, has regeneration of Grimsby, the town as a whole, central to his outlook. Just seems like a genuinely top bloke, with morals and a backbone. We've been lacking that for a while.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
These are the two guys taking over and they also intend to make us a certified B Corp company too. Looks decent on paper, proof will be in the pudding.

Pettit.PNGStockwood.PNG

northstandexile

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
Didn’t Lehman Brothers banking corp start the world banking crash and went bust. It also talks about real estate and property finance In his CV.

Looks like he is after selling the ground and making his money that way. Has this fluent French speaker have any connection to Cleethorpes at all.

masi51

Reaction score
Supports
Bolton
Didn’t Lehman Brothers banking corp start the world banking crash and went bust. It also talks about real estate and property finance In his CV.

Looks like he is after selling the ground and making his money that way. Has this fluent French speaker have any connection to Cleethorpes at all.
watched a T.V programme on the demise of the Grimsby fishing fleet and the local drinking establishments of Grimsby and all the locals seemed fluent in French

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City

We made a similar change earlier in the year as well. Up to this point, any shares held by fans have been effectively worthless but now anyone who wants to buy a controlling interest in the Club have to offer exactly the same terms to everyone who owns a share, although the shareholder isn't under any obligation to sell their shares.

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC

Yep. Well known family in the area.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
These are the two guys taking over and they also intend to make us a certified B Corp company too. Looks decent on paper, proof will be in the pudding.

View attachment 14159View attachment 14160
The B Corp thing isn't really that different to what is available to companies over here already, and what many companies already have, under ISO accreditations. Probably unusual for a Club to have the accreditations because they follow similar things through EFL policies and guidelines so not really a need for them.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

Yes, his family owned the "local family butchers" in Grimsby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!