GRIMSBY

pontoonlew

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Fucking hell. I haven't really been keeping up to date. What's wrong with them?
Both went off injured and we canceled our friendly with Burnley U23s because we couldn’t field a squad.

Nothing to worry about though…

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Would be nice for some genuine pre-match updates regarding the injuries and their lengths. Two days since the fresh injuries of Coke and Fox and there’s been no word. We don’t even know the actual injuries that Scannell, LJL and Taylor have do we?

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Would be nice for some genuine pre-match updates regarding the injuries and their lengths. Two days since the fresh injuries of Coke and Fox and there’s been no word. We don’t even know the actual injuries that Scannell, LJL and Taylor have do we?

Hurst and his mind games.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
In hindsight, they did both walk off fine so I guess it was just a precaution. Still no word on Scannell, Taylor and Wright though…
Or LJL unless I've missed something?

McAtee goal vs Boston though. Maybe he's gonna step up and bang them in for us?

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Managed to get a Bromley ticket in the away end this morning. Buzzing. Anyone else on here going?

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Managed to get a Bromley ticket in the away end this morning. Buzzing. Anyone else on here going?
Season ticket holders only bought 650 tickets, so 150 went on sale today @10:00 for the next eligible batch of supporters. Trust members tomorrow if they haven't all gone.

We are still undecided and will most likely wait until just before the weekend of the match. It's the nearest ground we play at (to our son), so no problems getting in, just issues with the dog and 'stuff'.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Season ticket holders only bought 650 tickets, so 150 went on sale today @10:00 for the next eligible batch of supporters. Trust members tomorrow if they haven't all gone.

We are still undecided and will most likely wait until just before the weekend of the match. It's the nearest ground we play at (to our son), so no problems getting in, just issues with the dog and 'stuff'.
Yeah, surprised that ST holders didn't get them all, I wonder if people are worried about travelling? I reckon 1878 members will take most of those remaining 150. Unless they increase the allocation I'd imagine you'll be looking at the home ends if you're deciding before the weekend of the match.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Yeah, surprised that ST holders didn't get them all, I wonder if people are worried about travelling? I reckon 1878 members will take most of those remaining 150. Unless they increase the allocation I'd imagine you'll be looking at the home ends if you're deciding before the weekend of the match.
I don't mind being in home ends sometimes, being in my mid-60's I'm not really a target or threat for anyone. It's often safer than being with our lot anyway.

It's also great fun watching our supporters rather than being in amongst us, we really do have some passionate fans, especially if they've sniffed the barmaids apron before the game. Watching their antics can be hilarious, plus of course you can appreciate the noise we generate if sat in another stand.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980

immariner

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town FC
It's on BT don't forget. Kick off time isn't appealing, best part of a 1am return for those travelling from Lincs.

PaulHaddock

people person
Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby
Our Boxing Day fixture against Halifax is now moved to 12:30 kickoff. Wtf is going on? We aren’t the best behaved fans in the country but why is trouble expected at any match where more than a few hundred? It reeks. The police presence at Stockport the other night was complete overkill, made to feel like a criminal. Shocking stuff.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Our Boxing Day fixture against Halifax is now moved to 12:30 kickoff. Wtf is going on? We aren’t the best behaved fans in the country but why is trouble expected at any match where more than a few hundred? It reeks. The police presence at Stockport the other night was complete overkill, made to feel like a criminal. Shocking stuff.
Our fans at Stockport must have had an average age of 60, so many OAP's, especially in the seats under cover. We do still have some idiots who are trying to live off the back of some real hard men from the 70's and 80's, it's those that are still giving our club a bad rep. They were not at Stockport though.

BlackHaddock

Reaction score
Supports
The Mighty Mariners
Today's Sunday Times: From Gregor Robertson.

1. It’s hard to recall a club finishing 92nd in the Football League with quite as much optimism about the future. Grimsby Town, however, return to the National League after five years in League Two, bristling with vitality, buoyed by a renewed feeling of connection, of community.
  2. Perhaps you may think that sounds a little trite. But to see the collective outpouring of joy which met Alex Hunt’s late winner in a seven-goal thriller against Barnet at Blundell Park on Saturday was to be offered a compelling glimpse of what Grimsby’s new owners, Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit, believe their investment in the club can do for the “civic pride” of the town they grew up in.
  3. Stockwood and Pettit, who completed a protracted takeover in May at the end of a chaotic and dispiriting campaign, are dyed in the wool Grimsby fans, but their investment is clearly about more than just football.
  4. Their business credentials and vision for the club are fascinating. Pettit, whose family owned a butcher’s shop in the town for almost a century, has worked for Lehman Brothers, the global financial services company, and Clifford Chance, the law firm, before becoming a founding partner of Revcap, a private equity property business. He’s spoken about the three Ps behind their investment: “Passion for the club we love. Philanthropy — giving back to a community that has been home to our families. And Pride — developing and growing the Mariners as a community asset which can be a significant catalyst for the regeneration of the area.”
  5. Stockwood is a “council estate kid” who read philosophy at university and became a successful tech entrepreneur, holding senior roles with Skyscanner, match.com and last minute.com, before becoming CEO and then vice-chair at commercial insurers Simply Business, twice named Best Place to Work in the UK by The Sunday Times. He the author of Reboot: A blueprint for happy, human business in the digital age, and a visiting fellow in transformational leadership at Oxford University.
  6. About a year ago, Stockwood began to train the focus of his work on public service. The regeneration of Grimsby is at the heart of that, and the club, he says, can play a central role. One of the few “civic institutions” that still exist, he says, are football clubs. “They very rarely go out of existence. They represent a different space in people’s imaginations and people’s hearts. That connection has always existed,” he says.
  7. “At the top end, you’ve got these global entities, be it Liverpool or United; they still matter to and represent their local communities, but they have different life as global entities that, in the last couple of years, I think has been shown to be more important to their owners. Be it through the Super League debacle, or leveraged debt buyouts.
  8. “There are some really good owners who get that clubs are more than economic entities. It’s about reinvigorating an old idea. Football clubs used to be a place that, irrespective of your income, background, education or whatever, you could come together for a couple of hours a week with a shared identity. Football, with the right values, can be a vehicle for connecting people to their similarities rather than their differences. I’m doing other projects in the town trying to support community groups and entrepreneurial projects, and it feels to me that the football club is another part of the puzzle.”
  9. Despite living and working internationally, Grimsby always remained a huge part of Stockwood’s identity. “My last business in London, Simply Business, which was on Gresham Street, overlooked the Bank of England, and there were about 12 glass-fronted offices which we named after people’s birth places,” he says.
  10. “One day I got everyone to put their birthplace in a hat, about 700 people, but for the first one, I had the Grimsby one between my fingers! So the first one I pulled out, for the boardroom, was Grimsby! We’d send people meeting requests in Google, and it would say ‘Meet in Grimsby’. The number of times my assistant would get people asking why Jason wanted to meet in Grimsby…
  11. “I guess there’s a lot of people who feel the same about their home town, and club. I’ve always felt that there’s a wonderful oddity about the town. The people have an odd sense of confidence. I’ve carried it as well. It’s about a sense of humour, about hard work, about a town that’s always been the underdog — which is about where it is, it’s history, and even the name. But it wears that with pride.
  12. “But there’s also something about just not having a choice. Where it’s placed geographically, even Lincoln and Scunthorpe are 45 minutes to an hour away. If you’re in Stockport, you’ve probably got six clubs within 45 minutes. So it’s lack of choice, too — but you kind of embrace it. You go, ‘This is my club’.
  13. “It’s a community that’s obviously had its knocks over the years. The way post-industrial towns have gone since the Seventies, economically it’s seen better days. When that happens, communities either disperse or they are bound together. And I think it’s been bound together through its history and values. That’s why I think there’s so much potential.”
  14. In almost two decades under majority-ownership of John Fenty, who made his millions from the sale of Five Star Fish in 2004, there was little in the way of investment. “I think there’s an opportunity to reset the culture of the club,” Stockwood says.
  15. Within a few weeks of their takeover, Grimsby had become a founding member of the Fair Game initiative which is pushing to embed principles of sustainability, transparency, integrity and community in English football. They hope to become the first club in world football to gain B Corp status – a globally recognised accreditation for ethical business practice.
  16. The club’s first female chief executive, Debbie Cook, and board member, Kristine Green, who also is chair of the Mariners’ Trust, were appointed at the 143-year-old club in the summer. Pitches were relaid at Blundell Park and Cheapside, the club’s training ground, where a new gym has been installed and a chef, a dietician, analyst and a kit man recruited. “A couple of the players have said that it’s the first year they’ve felt like proper professionals,” Stockwood says.
  17. The match-day experience has been improved with the addition of a new fan zone. More than 5,000 returned for the opening win against Weymouth and, after the midweek draw at Stockport County, to see the Mariners collect another three-points at a raucous Blundell Park on Saturday.
  18. “The environment we’re trying to create, the values we’re trying to instil, the “Greater Together” slogan, we don’t want that to be a sign on the wall, we want to try and live by that,” Paul Hurst, the manager who last guided the club out of the National League in 2016, says. “That’s what, I think, feels different.”
  19. In a fiercely competitive league this season, however, Hurst points out Grimsby were mentioned once as a promotion outsider among National League pundits. “That maybe shows what we are up against, albeit we will be trying to prove people wrong,” Hurst, who has always enjoyed doing just that, says.
  20. Ands so after almost two decades of stagnation, a new era is underway. “We want to get up and out of this league as quick as possible, it would be foolish not to state that,” Stockwood adds. “Then we want to kick on from there. You’re only ever tempered by your own ambition. I’m ambitious for the club and for the town, and we want to go up through the gears. But we want to do it at the right pace, in a sustainable fashion.”

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
I’m curious to know what all the even number paragraphs say. ;)

B2TF

Reaction score
Supports
THE MIGHTY SHAYMEN
Today's Sunday Times: From Gregor Robertson.

1. It’s hard to recall a club finishing 92nd in the Football League with quite as much optimism about the future. Grimsby Town, however, return to the National League after five years in League Two, bristling with vitality, buoyed by a renewed feeling of connection, of community.

2. Perhaps you may think that sounds a little trite. But to see the collective outpouring of joy which met Alex Hunt’s late winner in a seven-goal thriller against Barnet at Blundell Park on Saturday was to be offered a compelling glimpse of what Grimsby’s new owners, Jason Stockwood and Andrew Pettit, believe their investment in the club can do for the “civic pride” of the town they grew up in.

3. Stockwood and Pettit, who completed a protracted takeover in May at the end of a chaotic and dispiriting campaign, are dyed in the wool Grimsby fans, but their investment is clearly about more than just football.

4. Their business credentials and vision for the club are fascinating. Pettit, whose family owned a butcher’s shop in the town for almost a century, has worked for Lehman Brothers, the global financial services company, and Clifford Chance, the law firm, before becoming a founding partner of Revcap, a private equity property business. He’s spoken about the three Ps behind their investment: “Passion for the club we love. Philanthropy — giving back to a community that has been home to our families. And Pride — developing and growing the Mariners as a community asset which can be a significant catalyst for the regeneration of the area.”

5. Stockwood is a “council estate kid” who read philosophy at university and became a successful tech entrepreneur, holding senior roles with Skyscanner, match.com and last minute.com, before becoming CEO and then vice-chair at commercial insurers Simply Business, twice named Best Place to Work in the UK by The Sunday Times. He the author of Reboot: A blueprint for happy, human business in the digital age, and a visiting fellow in transformational leadership at Oxford University.

6. About a year ago, Stockwood began to train the focus of his work on public service. The regeneration of Grimsby is at the heart of that, and the club, he says, can play a central role. One of the few “civic institutions” that still exist, he says, are football clubs. “They very rarely go out of existence. They represent a different space in people’s imaginations and people’s hearts. That connection has always existed,” he says.

7. “At the top end, you’ve got these global entities, be it Liverpool or United; they still matter to and represent their local communities, but they have different life as global entities that, in the last couple of years, I think has been shown to be more important to their owners. Be it through the Super League debacle, or leveraged debt buyouts.

8. “There are some really good owners who get that clubs are more than economic entities. It’s about reinvigorating an old idea. Football clubs used to be a place that, irrespective of your income, background, education or whatever, you could come together for a couple of hours a week with a shared identity. Football, with the right values, can be a vehicle for connecting people to their similarities rather than their differences. I’m doing other projects in the town trying to support community groups and entrepreneurial projects, and it feels to me that the football club is another part of the puzzle.”

9. Despite living and working internationally, Grimsby always remained a huge part of Stockwood’s identity. “My last business in London, Simply Business, which was on Gresham Street, overlooked the Bank of England, and there were about 12 glass-fronted offices which we named after people’s birth places,” he says.

10. “One day I got everyone to put their birthplace in a hat, about 700 people, but for the first one, I had the Grimsby one between my fingers! So the first one I pulled out, for the boardroom, was Grimsby! We’d send people meeting requests in Google, and it would say ‘Meet in Grimsby’. The number of times my assistant would get people asking why Jason wanted to meet in Grimsby…

11. “I guess there’s a lot of people who feel the same about their home town, and club. I’ve always felt that there’s a wonderful oddity about the town. The people have an odd sense of confidence. I’ve carried it as well. It’s about a sense of humour, about hard work, about a town that’s always been the underdog — which is about where it is, it’s history, and even the name. But it wears that with pride.

12. “But there’s also something about just not having a choice. Where it’s placed geographically, even Lincoln and Scunthorpe are 45 minutes to an hour away. If you’re in Stockport, you’ve probably got six clubs within 45 minutes. So it’s lack of choice, too — but you kind of embrace it. You go, ‘This is my club’.

13. “It’s a community that’s obviously had its knocks over the years. The way post-industrial towns have gone since the Seventies, economically it’s seen better days. When that happens, communities either disperse or they are bound together. And I think it’s been bound together through its history and values. That’s why I think there’s so much potential.”

14. In almost two decades under majority-ownership of John Fenty, who made his millions from the sale of Five Star Fish in 2004, there was little in the way of investment. “I think there’s an opportunity to reset the culture of the club,” Stockwood says.

15. Within a few weeks of their takeover, Grimsby had become a founding member of the Fair Game initiative which is pushing to embed principles of sustainability, transparency, integrity and community in English football. They hope to become the first club in world football to gain B Corp status – a globally recognised accreditation for ethical business practice.

16. The club’s first female chief executive, Debbie Cook, and board member, Kristine Green, who also is chair of the Mariners’ Trust, were appointed at the 143-year-old club in the summer. Pitches were relaid at Blundell Park and Cheapside, the club’s training ground, where a new gym has been installed and a chef, a dietician, analyst and a kit man recruited. “A couple of the players have said that it’s the first year they’ve felt like proper professionals,” Stockwood says.

17. The match-day experience has been improved with the addition of a new fan zone. More than 5,000 returned for the opening win against Weymouth and, after the midweek draw at Stockport County, to see the Mariners collect another three-points at a raucous Blundell Park on Saturday.

18. “The environment we’re trying to create, the values we’re trying to instil, the “Greater Together” slogan, we don’t want that to be a sign on the wall, we want to try and live by that,” Paul Hurst, the manager who last guided the club out of the National League in 2016, says. “That’s what, I think, feels different.”

19. In a fiercely competitive league this season, however, Hurst points out Grimsby were mentioned once as a promotion outsider among National League pundits. “That maybe shows what we are up against, albeit we will be trying to prove people wrong,” Hurst, who has always enjoyed doing just that, says.

20. Ands so after almost two decades of stagnation, a new era is underway. “We want to get up and out of this league as quick as possible, it would be foolish not to state that,” Stockwood adds. “Then we want to kick on from there. You’re only ever tempered by your own ambition. I’m ambitious for the club and for the town, and we want to go up through the gears. But we want to do it at the right pace, in a sustainable fashion.”
BOR-ING. :bdick:

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
899A1F5B-E3E0-47AD-AAF6-8C2A1D881249.png

Kim Mitten

Reaction score
Supports
Southend United
How many do you think Grimsby will take to Maidenhead in a few weeks? Southend have no game so I'm thinking of doing a double header of Reading v Middlesbrough and then Maidenhead v Grimsby, I'd rather go in the away end if your going to make a decent atmosphere of it.

DarkSithLord

Reaction score
Supports
Alfreton
Twitter
@LiamHenton
Hi Mariners.
OT but I see Cleethorpes Town have won tonight to set up a home tie against Alfreton in the FA Cup on September 18th

Shame Grimsby are at home to Eastleigh on that day

Alfreton have Matt Rhead. How many do you think will attend

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!