How do you rate the league 2 teams?

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Hi everyone,

With the season moving onto its exciting conclusion (or just 'conclusion' if you're a Luton fan), I've been thinking...

I have seen all 24 sides play this season, and thought I would provide a quick review on how I see every League 2 side. This is just my own objective opinion, no offence intended. Please feel free to post your reviews in the thread!

Accrington Stanley: Saw them beat us 1-0 at ours, looked well-drilled, played nice passing, on-the-floor football, and defending well after scoring. Having just beaten Oxford, and still with games in hand, I could see them nicking 3rd place this year, but they need to keep the momentum going.

Barnet: I saw Barnet on the opening day of the season, in a 2-0 win for the Os, so I'm sure much has changed since then. However, they definitely lacked that bit of quality, and the poor signings of Lisbie and Batt have hindered their wage budget this year. Lower-mid table seems about right.

Bristol Rovers: Exciting times ahead for the Gas, with new owners and a decent league position. When they beat the Orient at theirs, it was a very even game, with a moment of magic winning it for Rovers. At ours, where they unsuccessfully defended their nearly-1-year unbeaten away record, they were only ok. I like the Gas, good team, great ground, nice fans. However, I don't think they have the quality to guarantee themselves a play off place this year, and if they do sneak in I expect them to fall at the first hurdle. Could be a good bet for next year though.

Cambridge: Funny side Cambridge. Beat us 3-1 recently at Brisbane Road and, whilst the Orient were dreadful, the Us punished the defending with the ruthlessness of a side destined for League 1. At the Abbey it was a different story, a 1-1 snoozefest with both sides failing to even try to impress. Williamson looks tidy, but with a tough run of fixtures ahead, they have a lot of work to do to sneak 7th. Will probably finish 9th - 10th, but are poised well for next year if they have a quiet summer.

Carlisle: The northern enigma that is Carlise... With Jabo on form and games in hand there's no reason why they cant reach the play offs, lose a couple and get a knock to Jabo and its a different story. Looked bang average when they snuck a 1-0 win at ours way back early on, but results show there's a good side there somewhere. Somehow I don't think they'll do it, but it's very much in their hands.

Crawley: I'm trying to be objective in this thread, but I hate Crawley. It's a really bland away day, they always beat us despite playing poorly, and I feel quite strongly, that proper league sides, like Lincoln, Cheltenham or Grimsby, should be in the league instead of them. They beat the Os early on in the season, but were handed the game by Orient's worst ever player Alan Dunne. They won't go down this year, but there's always hope. Talks of a takeover may breed renewed dreams of League 1 football, but I can't see them as anything other than the definition of tinpot.

Daggers: Comfortable 3-1 win for the Os back in September. I like the Daggers, but they are most likely going down. It's been a season to forget, the occasional neat Cureton finish aside. May struggle to come back up.

Exeter: I don't understand how Exeter are 14th. They smashed the Orient home and away with fast-paced, decisive, attacking football, and held their own against Liverpool home and away. Tisdale's brand is pleasing on the eye, but their decision to sell key players is obviously costing them. Never bet for or against Exeter, far too inconsistent. Money in the bank ensures the future is exciting for the Grecians, but how much filters down to Tisdale will be a key factor.

Hartlepool: Someone, who presumably no longer works at Sky, decided to put Hartlepool vs Orient on the telly back in December. It was dreadful. The Monkey Hangers somehow coming away 3-1 victors, again courtesy of Orient's Alan Dunne. I'm not being bitter, but the Pools were poor. I like seeing them score; due solely to Jeff Stelling's reactive commentary, but on both pitch and paper, its an average-at-best side. If Yeovil and York continue to improve they may well be joining the Daggers, at the moment it's in their hands, but a few key losses sees them dragged right into the mix. Games in had always mean less at the bottom.

Leyton Orient: I would not wish being a Leyton Orient fan on my worst enemy, it's been back-to-back seasons to forget, after being 1 kick away from the Championship the club has been mismanaged into the ground, with severe injuries to key players to boot. The League's top scorer Jay Simpson (22) and the resurgent Jobi Mcanuff have provided glimmers of hope, and the shock player-manager appointment of Kevin Nolan is another possible cause for celebration. Like no other side (except maybe Exeter) the Os have the ability to be breathtakingly awful, or surprisingly solid. Their run of fixtures is quite generous, if sides lose their games in hand and the Orient go on a run, anything is possible. My head says 8th, my heart says 7th.

Luton: What a disappointing season for Luton fans. Mid-table from day one, there's not been much to shout about. When they drew 1-1 with the Orient, it was an average game, but I think Luton were second best and slightly fortunate to nab a point. Mid table all day long, but they have the resources to start building for next year.

Mansfield: I'm very surprised to see the Stags up near the top. 5th is definitely a false position, given more games played and a tough run of fixtures ahead, but they are right in the mix for 6th/7th. A boring 1-1 draw was fought out between them and the Os earlier this season, and that was the right result, both sides failed to impress that day. Strangely, I recall every Mansfield fan predicting the Os to finish 23rd/24th at the start of the year. I expect the Stags to drop off and settle around 10th/11th.

Morecambe: I made the trip to Morecambe this year, and never again. Dull place, dull ground, dull game. Orient extremely fortunate to win 1-0 with a freak goal, had 0-0 written all over it. Morecambe were the top scorers for some time, but have drifted into mediocrity since then. Probably the side I would name last if I had to list all 92 teams. Mid table all day long.

Newport County: Recovered well from their shocking start and were unfortunate to lose 1-0 to the Os recently (very soft penalty in the 85th). Looked well organised, but just lacked that bit of quality. I hope they stay up and I think they will, but need to sign at least 1 quality player in the summer to improve, if they can keep Byrne then half the job is done.

Northampton: Deserved champions. Obliterated Orient 4-0 recently, despite the Os actually playing some good football. I thought they were complete dross early in the season, where we missed 100 chances and drew 1-1 at Sixfields. Fair play to the cobblers as recent times have been hard. League 1 may prove challenging, but if Burton can do it, the Cobblers can too.

Notts County: My favourite non-Orient side in this league are so poor this year. In fact they were one of the few sides worse than the Orient last year. I'm not sure what's gone wrong at County, but poor performances combined with poor results have the fans on the team's back. Comfortably mid-table this season, but if things aren't done quickly, the ship could continue to sink next year. Shame.

Oxford: Played well in the hard fought 2-2 draw earlier on, but the Orient should have won it deep into stoppage time. The Oxford fans behaved disgracefully that day ripping up seats and hurling both abuse, and actual physical objects at the Orient faithful in the South stand. They have a weird grudge against the Os for one game, 9 or so years ago, but they're a good footballing side, who should be getting out of this division...on paper. However, recent important defeats to the Cobblers and Stanley have them on the ropes. Need a win tonight against the Grecians else the wheels are well and truly off. Should keep third against Stanley, but it may not be in their hands.

Plymouth: I made the long Tuesday night trip down to the coast, and had a lovely few pints out. The game itself, a 1-1 draw, was underwhelming, and I was less-than-impressed with Plymouth. They're clearly a decent side, but I think 2nd flatters them. They probably have the points on the board to go up automatically, but how they've amassed 60 points is beyond me. To be fair, they're a League 1 side so I have no qualms with them going up.

Portsmouth: Funny side Portsmouth, I've gotten so used to them being a League 2 side, I've forgotten how ludicrous it is given their size. Were unlucky to lose 3-2 at the Orient, and then were inexplicably poor at Fratton Park, again losing to the Os, a wonder goal from Mcanuff making it 0-1. Should have the resources to stroll into the play offs and probably win them, but this recent dip in form is alarming. Still think they will finish 5th/6th but cannot afford to be complacent.

Stevenage: I don't have anything against Stevenage per-se, but they do play a particularly offensive brand of hoofball. They were better than I expected both times I've seen them this season (3-1 orient, 2-2 at Stevenage) but am not surprised to see them at the wrong end of the table. Should have enough in the engine to stay up, next year may be more problematic...

Wimbledon: Looking good with a game in hand in 10th, the Dons have been a surprise package this season, especially after losing 2013/2014's player of the season Sammy "Sideways" Moore to the Os in the summer. In my head they're a 'form side' who don't have the depth of quality to realistically assault the play offs, but I'm most likely wrong. Played well in the 1-1 draw at the Orient, will be a tough reverse fixture for the Os, hard to say where the Dons will finish, but they are right in the mix.

Wycombe: I get the feeling that no one likes Wycombe very much. It could be the dull nature of the ground / town, but it's probably more down to the on-the-pitch antics. Certainly against the Orient they wasted so much time that I was late for work on Monday, and were overly aggressive to the point of being dirty. We edged them 2-0 at Adams Park recently, but I sense there are 2 Wycombes, and one of them can beat anyone. Only narrowly losing to the Cobblers last week showed their ability, same as the Dons, tough to predict, but right in the mix.

Yeovil: I take back what I said about being an Orient fan, being a Yeovil fan at the moment must really sting. Facing their 3rd successive relegation with little to cheer this year. Recent results have shown some improvement, but with York also improving, the Conference is a very real threat. Were quite good against the Orient with a 1-1 draw in East London, but they may be needing results to go their way to secure a league place next season.

York: Out of all the sides in the dogfight, York showed the most fight in the games I've seen, and were unlucky to bow out 3-2 loses at the Os. Recent wins have steadied the ship, but they need teams like Hartlepool, and maybe even Stevenage to drop points and get sucked into the mix. I hope they stay up, but it's very much a lottery. They may not have the quality to back up their fighting spirit.

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Accrington: Best short passing team in the league. Seamus Conneely is fantastic. Massive overachievers in terms of club stature but in a deserved position.

Barnet: No creativity, just blunt trauma.

Bristol Rovers: Solid all rounders. Still weirded out by how much Sinclair looks like his brother.

Cambridge: Not seen them enough.

Carlisle: Grainger is a top left back probably the best in the league. Solid top half team.

Crawley: Despite being mid table, second worst team I've seen this season in this league (three games).

Dagenham: Worst team I've seen this season, improved from being lower Conference standard to upper Conference standard.

Exeter: Decently average.

Hartlepool: Not seen them enough.

Orient: Outside play off chance. Shame Cox missed the season.

Luton: Don't understand how they're doing so poorly. McGeehan is a talent.

Mansfield: Benning is a good left back probably second best in the league. Solid top half team.

Morecambe: Can't keep a clean sheet. Consistent overachievers given Bentley's resources.

Newport: Started out shit. Got less shit.

Northampton: Taking the piss a bit. Holmes, Martin, D'Ath and Adams competing for two spots? Piss off...

Notts County: Not seen them at all.

Oxford: From what I've seen of them they're not good enough for the top three, but they are a strong play off shout minimum. Buchel is probably the worst starting goalkeeper in the league. Fricking hilarious to make their children cry. I dream of the day Orient do them in the play offs so I can jump on the pitch and steal ice cream from the little ones.

Plymouth: Second best team in the league, strong in every department. Hartley, Carey and Wylde are probably in my current team of the season.

Portsmouth: Not nasty enough.

Stevenage: Devoid of talent, but good enough to stay up.

Wimbledon: Back door play off run, will probably sneak it. Lol @ Sammy Moore being a loss for them.

Wycombe: Their antics are overstated. Best defence in the league, best defender (Pierre) in the league, best full back (Harriman) in the league, previously the best goalkeeper (Ingram) in the league. If they could attack they'd be a massive threat, but they can't.

Yeovil: Don't rate them in the slightest. Bar Walsh.

York: Too much technical quality to be in a relegation dogfight.

Last edited:

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Accrington: Best short passing team in the league. Seamus Conneely is fantastic. Massive overachievers in terms of club stature but in a deserved position.

Bristol Rovers: Solid all rounders. Still weirded out by how much Sinclair looks like his brother.

Carlisle: Grainger is a top left back probably the best in the league. Solid top half team.

Crawley: Despite being mid table, second worst team I've seen this season in this league (three games).

Dagenham: Worst team I've seen this season, improved from being lower Conference standard to upper Conference standard.

Mansfield: Benning is a good left back probably second best in the league. Solid top half team.

Morecambe: Can't keep a clean sheet. Consistent overachievers given Bentley's resources.

Northampton: Taking the piss a bit. Holmes, Martin, D'Ath and Adams competing for two spots? Piss off...

Oxford: From what I've seen of them they're not good enough for the top three, but they are a strong play off shout minimum. Buchel is probably the worst starting goalkeeper in the league. Fricking hilarious to make their children cry. I dream of the day Orient do them in the play offs so I can jump on the pitch and steal ice cream from the little ones.

Plymouth: Second best team in the league, strong in every department. Hartley, Carey and Wylde are probably in my current team of the season.

Wimbledon: Back door play off run, will probably sneak it. Lol @ Sammy Moore being a loss for them.

Wycombe: Their antics are overstated. Best defence in the league, best defender (Pierre) in the league, best full back (Harriman) in the league, previously the best goalkeeper (Ingram) in the league. If they could attack they'd be a massive threat, but they can't.

Blunt trauma is what I've been through in a few of our matches.

mowgli

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe Wanderers

Ingram has been sold to QPR mate.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Bit of an Orient-fans-opinions-only thread. Like it. Here's mine:

Accrington: Not shit.
Barnet: Shit.
Bristol Rovers: Quite shit.
Cambridge: Cow shit.
Carlisle: Shit without Jabo.
Crawley: Creepy shit.
Dagenham: Relegation-bound shit.
Exeter: Inexplicably shit.
Hartlepool: Eternally shit.
Leyton Orient: Mental Italian shit.
Luton: Expensively-assembled shit.
Mansfield: Dirty, hoofball shit.
Morecambe: Irrelevant shit.
Newport: Isle Of Shite.
Northampton: Champions of shit.
Notts County: Directionless shit.
Oxford: Choking shit.
Plymouth: Not seen them. Probably shit.
Portsmouth: Stick your fucking cowbell up your shitter.
Stevenage: Teddy Shittingham.
Wimbledon: Crazy shit.
Wycombe: Timewasting shitbags.
Yeovil: Turdzel Gummidge.
York: ShitKat Crescent.

Murphy

Bloody Nice Chap
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham & Redbridge and Stephen Mulhern.
Twitter
@NickMurphy1995
Daggers: Comfortable 3-1 win for the Os back in September. I like the Daggers, but they are most likely going down. It's been a season to forget, the occasional neat Cureton finish aside. May struggle to come back up.

Occasional? He's scored three times all season and only one of those can be described as 'neat'.

NolansOrient

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Occasional? He's scored three times all season and only one of those can be described as 'neat'.
Yeah I know, I was trying to think of a positive for the Daggers this season. That was the best I could do!!

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Mostly the teams that I've seen us play..

Us: Stodge, stodge, stodge, stodgy stodge

Bristol Rovers: from what I read they hit about a dozen shots out of our ground when we played them at home

Cambridge Utd: Relentlessly ordinary, save for two moments of inspiration at the Abbey. We should have taken 4 points off them, not 1.

Carlisle Utd: unexceptional at the Hive, we managed to outplay them at Brunton Park yet managed to lose.

Crawley Town: A nothing team who inexplicably are well-clear of relegation

Dag & Redbridge: Extremely flimsy, like a house made of paper. Stillball won't save them now.

Exeter City: sideways pass...sideways pass...sideways pass ad nauseum. We swatted them aside with our stodge.

Leyton Orient: They don't hang together well as a unit but they have some of the most talented footballers in this division.

Mansfield Town: Their forward line displayed movement that Martin Allen could never conceive of yet they severely buckled after we brought Akinde on and upped the stodgeness.

Morecambe: Utterly forgettable scufflers, even Kevin Ellison fails to add much colour to them.

Newport County: worked the ball around well but didn't know how to shoot.

Northampton Town: Ricky is having the season that he's threatened to have at this level for a few seasons, and how did Sam Hoskins become a decent striker at this level?

Notts County: Utterly weird and crazy as usual with the world's laziest player up front for them.

Oxford Utd: tippy-tappy footballers with dodgy centre-halves.

Portsmouth: Obviously a decent side and they can move the ball around well but they needed a couple of favourable refereeing decisions to beat us. Their feet of clay are quite obvious.

Stevenage: Their style of football make us look like Spain's tiki-takas in their pomp. Utterly horrific with no redeeming features.

Wimbledon: Their team seemed to combine well and do things just that bit better than us. They have the hungry look of a team in the play-off hunt.

Wycombe: with cynicism taken this far, you're left with a very bitter stew.

Yeovil: they seem to be threadbare yet resilient.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Nice one NolansOrient but I have to correct you on one thing. You said that proper league clubs like Cheltenham should replace Crawley. Cjheltenham aren't a proper league club, they spent most of their years playing non-league footy.

Now, while I'd much rather see 1000 Grimsby fans at The Abbey than 50 Welling fans, I don't believe in this shite about ex league clubs being more deserving to be in the FL than the traditional smaller n-l ones. I say good luck to those clubs who assemble a good side or spunk enough cash to get in the FL, irrespective of size, and hard luck to those trad. league sides who end up in the Conference.

The reason I see it this way is simple - football is played on the field and club history, although important in a way, is irrelevant. Would anybody like to see the Premier League choose the 20 biggest clubs in this country and do away with relegation? Would anybody like to then see the Championship do the same? I think the answer is no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!