How long before everyone turns on Leicester?

Saddlerrad

Reaction score
Supports
Walsall
In all honesty, I can see Leicester struggling next season, Claudio leaving and them finishing in the bottom half of the table quite comfortably. It's definetely not going to be a fairytale forever, as unfortunately, the only way from this point onwards - is down.

Reactions: Sat

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
In all honesty, I can see Leicester struggling next season, Claudio leaving and them finishing in the bottom half of the table quite comfortably. It's definetely not going to be a fairytale forever, as unfortunately, the only way from this point onwards - is down.

I think you are right.

I think a top 6 next season might be almost as impressive a campaign. Enjoy the ride while it lasts and build something for the future with the income should be the goal.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
I think you are right.

I think a top 6 next season might be almost as impressive a campaign. Enjoy the ride while it lasts and build something for the future with the income should be the goal.

This. Combine the additional European games, and them now being somewhat of a target for teams to beat thanks to being defending champions, 7th-8th will be a good finish for them. 5th or 6th would be fantastic. I really can't see them challenging for top 4.

As for the thread subject, I don't see why anyone would start disliking them. They appear to have handled it well so far.

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
This. Combine the additional European games, and them now being somewhat of a target for teams to beat thanks to being defending champions, 7th-8th will be a good finish for them. 5th or 6th would be fantastic. I really can't see them challenging for top 4.

As for the thread subject, I don't see why anyone would start disliking them. They appear to have handled it well so far.

I agree, let's hope for their sake the fans understand that as well. Make the knockouts in the CL and they've reached new heights again.

I didn't mean they would deserve it, I was commenting on the nature of tearing down success in this country, something that is rabid in many football circles. Fairweather detractors exist the same as fair weather fans.

onelove

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay United
Might put some money on Leicester to get relegated next season, I honestly think they will struggle, the added fixture congestion alone, coupled with their small squad will no doubt hamper success. Plus I think they'll find it hard to keep hold of certain players (Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan, Mahrez & Vardy are all key to their success, will they still be there come the new season? probably not)

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Might put some money on Leicester to get relegated next season, I honestly think they will struggle, the added fixture congestion alone, coupled with their small squad will no doubt hamper success. Plus I think they'll find it hard to keep hold of certain players (Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan, Mahrez & Vardy are all key to their success, will they still be there come the new season? probably not)

At least 3 of those players will still be at Leicester next season for me.

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs

Yeah, add to that the likelihood that adding further players will have an effect on the tight knit chemistry that got them the title and they will do well to maintain a European challenge. I doubt they will get relegated but it wouldn't shock me if they flirted with it.

johnnytodd

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
The only player who i already hate is Vardy. He's a little snide who dives even more than Mr Starfish himself Gerrard.

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.

Be good for them if Liverpool didn't win the Europa. The fewer 'traditional' English clubs in the CL, the better, because there's fewer clubs who might be attractive. If United miss out and De Gea fucks off to Real, then you could easily see The Friendly Ghost's head being turned by a move to his Dad's old place. But I never got the feeling he was as instrumental as some of the others. I don't see Vardy or Morgan moving abroad, but you can bet there's a lot of admiring glances at Mahrez from the continent.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
It already began before we won it. Some people were getting sick of the fairytale long before it became reality with people harping on about how shit we'll be next year and hoping we'd fall flat on our arses for Spurs to nick it.
A decent group in the CL next season gives us a chance of getting through and then a challenge for top 4 would be nice. Top 6 and a Europa run would also be a good season. I don't think we'll take much notice of the domestic cups using them for testing squad players.
If we add a few players and go through another year with few injuries like this year I really can't understand the people who think we'll dramatically fall away. We've lost 3 games this season. What people are essentially saying is that either we will get a lot worse and/or all the other big sides will get dramatically better. Based on what? Nothing more than big club bias? Pep coming in has essentially given them the title in many peoples eyes, Chelsea can't possibly get worse, the Liverpool resurgence under Klopp has given them a sense of renewed optimism, then there's Arsenal and Man Utd who everyone expects to do better than this year.
Of course Pep could take a while to get his methods across and it may be a period of transition rather than a season of dominance. Conte could be the next AVB. Liverpool could also have CL football to contend with so they'll have the same fixture congestion and presumably a much tougher group as well as games to get there. Arsenal might do what they generally do unless Wenger does what he generally doesn't. And if LvG is at Utd next season does anyone see them as genuine contenders for anything?
Spurs can improve as well and tbh I see them as the most likely out of the current sides to be up there again.

A lot is made about the added fixtures in the CL basically meaning we'll slump in the league, but the people that hold this opinion are the same people that think we'll be an embarrasment in Europe. You can't really have it both ways as if we are shite in the CL we'll essentially be out of it 3 or 4 games in, so why would that have any dramatic effect?
In all honesty if we can't have both I'd sacrifice the CL for a go at the title again. Coming top 4 in consecutive seasons would be massive, whereas dropping back to top 8 and going far in the CL makes for a great season and a good run but doesn't do anything for future prospects, you then just fade away. Being back among the top and proving the doubters wrong would be great.

When it comes to being hated on we need sustained success. Once we occupy spots that other sides want on a more regular basis then we'll get on their nerves. Right now nobody begrudges us anything because it's so out of the ordinary, if it became the norm people will quickly become fed up of it.

Some parts of the media changed their tune in the 2-2 v West Ham as well, with everyone saying the same positive things about Leicester someone needed to change the tune a bit and we were soon having players vilified and myths about the side being overly physical or cheats basically. With the Vardy sending off he's accused of being a serial diver and 'he's been doing that all season' despite the fact nobody can point to anything to suggest it's true, they just look at the number of pens we've won and say 'diver'. Though I've challenged anybody to find a penalty this season for which he's dived. The one he played for he got sent off for. Then on their pen we hear that Morgan and Huth are always pulling and grabbing players etc, and they do, but no more so than anyone else. Chris Smalling can't keep his hands off of oppo players, and Huth had his shirt removed against Palace, but thanks the ref giving a penalty against us for it, apparently we're the masters of the dark arts now.
I still think those people are in the minority at the minute though.

mente captus

Reaction score
Supports
wins
I still love Leicester and will i love them forever since i led them to 10 consecutive championships on fm

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
What people are essentially saying is that either we will get a lot worse and/or all the other big sides will get dramatically better. Based on what? Nothing more than big club bias? Pep coming in has essentially given them the title in many peoples eyes, Chelsea can't possibly get worse, the Liverpool resurgence under Klopp has given them a sense of renewed optimism, then there's Arsenal and Man Utd who everyone expects to do better than this year.

As is often the case with these type of things, I think it is indeed a combination of the two. I don't believe Leicester need to get 'a lot' worse for them to finish outside the top 6, they just need some/all of the following - a bit of bad luck with injuries (the opposite of this season), fixture congestion, teams in general to pick up their game when playing the champions, and most of all, the bigger teams to improve on what has been a shit season. This campaign for the most part has been complete dogshit from nearly all of the "bigger" teams, and Leicester to their credit have taken full advantage of that. But it's somewhat unrealistic to expect it to happen again, or perhaps even close to it.

PDS

Reaction score
Supports
Bournemouth
It's been a weak league this year, and it's very hard to see it being quite so weak next year, especially with the money floating about. If they can keep hold of Mahrez and Kante it will be huge for them (I can't see Vardy going anywhere at his age).

Pinning down where Leicester will finish is a tough one, I think Europa is a realistic. Every team eventually has their style of play 'found out', and Leicester will be no different. How they adapt to that will be the big test for Ranieri.

Of course if I were Claudio I'd walk away and be revered as a God in Leicester forever more; expectations will be higher forever more as a result of this season and it will be hard to live up to.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Teams changed the way they played against us after the Arsenal loss, that's why we ended up winning 1-0 so often.
Ranieri will be revered with God like status if he gets us successively relegated to the conference.

I don't entirely buy that the league was weak this season, perhaps that's my prerogative because we won it, but for me the league but for a few teams at the bottom, is stronger. Aside from ourselves, Spurs and West Ham are a massive threat to any side, they have quality and will improve and there's no reason to believe they won't improve at the same rate as all the other big sides. So when clubs like that are taking points from Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd etc is that because the league is weak? The top clubs not dominating the smaller clubs seems to indicate weakness when it can just as easily be construed as strength. The usual course of action is to then mention how we're not doing so well in European competition as to when we had a strong top 4 who went further in the CL. However 4th placed City went to the CL Semis and 8th placed Liverpool are in the Europa final. Premier league sides have actually done better in Europe this season than in the previous one, so in terms of competing in European competition we've done better. A lot better really.
I don't think the top clubs have dropped their levels nearly as much as I think the midtable sides have upped theirs. And I was saying this before this season.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
They'll finish in the top half comfortably. Why does everybody mention extra fixtures etc but never the fact they've genuinely got a good team.

Vardy won't be going anywhere, he's nearly 30 and is priceless to Leicester, Kante is the best CM in the league and he doesn't strike me as a someone who'll be making demands to leave, then I can only see Mahrez being under threat of leaving and even then it will have to be at least 30m and with Leicester's track record of recruitment it wouldn't surprise me if they replaced him with someone just as good.

Their team will be better, it won't be worse, they've got more money than ever and a better standard of players to go and get.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
Why does everybody mention extra fixtures etc but never the fact they've genuinely got a good team.

Given that they've just won the title wouldn't it be a bit like pointing out water's wet?

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
The only player who i already hate is Vardy. He's a little snide who dives even more than Mr Starfish himself Gerrard.

I'm not a fan either. I suspect it will be him and a fight outside a nightclub that starts the anti-Leicester ball rolling.

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
I still love Leicester and will i love them forever since i led them to 10 consecutive championships on fm

I took them into what was then the Uefa Cup on FM 97, quality team but too many injuries.

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
It's been a weak league this year, and it's very hard to see it being quite so weak next year, especially with the money floating about. If they can keep hold of Mahrez and Kante it will be huge for them (I can't see Vardy going anywhere at his age).

Pinning down where Leicester will finish is a tough one, I think Europa is a realistic. Every team eventually has their style of play 'found out', and Leicester will be no different. How they adapt to that will be the big test for Ranieri.

Of course if I were Claudio I'd walk away and be revered as a God in Leicester forever more; expectations will be higher forever more as a result of this season and it will be hard to live up to.

I think you are entirely right. I'd like to see the team that did so well this year have a crack at the CL. If they get through the group stage it will be incredible.

Sat

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal Hotspurs
They'll finish in the top half comfortably. Why does everybody mention extra fixtures etc but never the fact they've genuinely got a good team.

Vardy won't be going anywhere, he's nearly 30 and is priceless to Leicester, Kante is the best CM in the league and he doesn't strike me as a someone who'll be making demands to leave, then I can only see Mahrez being under threat of leaving and even then it will have to be at least 30m and with Leicester's track record of recruitment it wouldn't surprise me if they replaced him with someone just as good.

Their team will be better, it won't be worse, they've got more money than ever and a better standard of players to go and get.

I think this year was the perfect storm of a very weak top 4 and an over performing squad with few injuries. Selling Mahrez does not mean they will be able to replace him. they will have plenty of money to spend but he already said he doesn't want big names.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
A tiny minority are suggesting they will struggle, most simply don't believe they will challenge for the top 4 and will likely finish outside the top 6. Hardly unreasonable all things taken into account even looking at their achievements this season. Or is that what you mean by struggle?

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
I think it is reasonable for people to expect Leicester to finish outside of top 6 next season imo. Before this season, they were fighting relegation. Vardy scored 5 goals. For all we know, he could be one season wonder. Same could be said of couple of other players. I wouldn't be surprised if Leicester got relegated, although I wouldn't put money on it. However, I would put money on Leicester finishing outside of top 6.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Above Liverpool though?

G-Dragon

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool
What about it? We should comfortably finish above leicester next season.

Pagnell

Pick Up The Gun
Reaction score
Supports
I'd be frankly fucking gobsmacked if Leicester were relegated.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
What about it? We should comfortably finish above leicester next season.
Obviously that was what I asked. It'd be a bit pointless to single you out this season.

silkyman

Reaction score
Supports
Macclesfield Town/Manchester City. It's complicated.
I think you are entirely right. I'd like to see the team that did so well this year have a crack at the CL. If they get through the group stage it will be incredible.

They have the benefit of being top seed now, so may avoid one of the absolute European royalty.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Yeah really for a semi easy group you'd want to avoid whoever loses this years final and Dortmund. Nobody else is particularly fearsome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!