How long will Paul Lambert last?

GodsGift

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Another defeat today, albeit against an improving Liverpool side, and another 90 minutes without scoring. They've now gone eight hours without finding the net, and have only scored a pathetic 11 in 22 games.

I'm actually a big fan of Lambert, I think he's a good coach but it's just not working out for him at Villa Park. He needs to be given the boot asap.

Magic

Reaction score
Supports
Leeds United
Wouldn't be surprised to hear something tomorrow or Monday to be honest. I know he's been in this situation before though and not been shown the door so who knows. Any Villa fans I've seen comment aren't best pleased with him either so surely can't be far off? They don't have the most creative players in the world but that's still pretty appalling.

Reaction score
Supports
Dr Tony's Villa Revolution
He won't go until we go down, or until there actually is a mass protest, apparently today's protest was pathetic.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
Yeah he needs to go now. I like Lambert but the Villa job and him just hasn't been a match. A fresh start elsewhere would help, maybe even back in the Championship.

Super_horns

Reaction score
Supports
WATFORD
Not sure trhe owner is helping but their form generally is so poor...

SUTSS

Survivor Champion 2015
Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
Just not sure what has happened to him. The one thing you were guaranteed when he was at Norwich were goals, usually at both ends. We played attacking football with no thought of what might happen if we got caught on the break. It was some of the most exci ting football I've ever had the pleasure of watching. Can't believe this is the same guy managing.

Skinner

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Palace
He's just a slightly better Dougie Freedman.

Remember when people were saying Liverpool should have gone for Lambert instead of Rodgers!?

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
Whilst I'm all for criticising him, isn't he hampered slightly by the off field ownership issues, with Lerner stating he wants to sell and them seemingly not having a great budget to work with? Just over £7m spent last summer, £10m the season before. That is hardly a great budget compared to some of their similar size rivals. I mean, Everton splashed out £28m on one player!

He clearly isn't doing a good job, but I'm just curious as to who can come in and do better with what seems to be a poor budget.

Reaction score
Supports
Thing is, if you look at our squad, it's not half as bad as it's playing like. That part of it is due to poor management.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
I think the only reason he's there is because Lerner doesn't want to pay his severance. Appointing a new manager becomes problematic while trying to sell the club. If Lambert was to be sacked Villa would have a permanent caretaker until the club is sold.

Reaction score
Supports
That's basically what Lambert is now, doesn't mean a caretaker can't be sacked.

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
He's just a slightly better Dougie Freedman.

Remember when people were saying Liverpool should have gone for Lambert instead of Rodgers!?

I don't remember that, but it isn't that surprising given that Lambert had a better CV at the time.

It's weird with Lambert, the last couple of years i've thought he's been really underrated, getting by in tough circumstances. First sign of trouble and everyone is on his back. Yes, Aston Villa are a big club that shouldn't be looking at relegation, but I doubt many managers could do a better job. I think the main problem is the lack of excitement for fans. Losing is never nice, but at least if you go for it and show some passion to score goals it gives more belief then just turning up and not scoring again.

Reaction score
Supports
First sign? Lambert's biggest haul in his 3 seasons at the club is 41 points...

Madejski

Reaction score
Supports
Reading
First sign? Lambert's biggest haul in his 3 seasons at the club is 41 points...

But were they really underachieving then? Especially his first season when half of his signings were League One stars pushed straight into a Premier League squad.

This season is possibly the best squad he has had at Villa? And they are not improving. That is why it's the first sign. Expectations at the start of the season (especially after the good start) were higher, and rightly so given that the squad is maturing and without losing key players. The last three years he has had as a Premier League manager, 17th was the target and at the very least he achieved it.

Perhaps he is one of those managers capable of keeping a club up, but not much beyond that. Which at a team like Villa who should be aiming for top half, isn't good enough.

Reaction score
Supports
I'd say so, however the signings are made by him, and the tactics are set by him. There have been deficiencies since his first season (Bradford over two fucking legs anyone?), his whole reign in general has been a disaster.

TheMinsterman

Reaction score
Supports
York City & Italy
I think there are a number of factors, not all under his control, that have contributed to this pretty poor season, but I think now it is time to go. To have such an appalling scoring record really is inexcusable, I'd be incredibly worried as a Villa fan that if you were drawn much closer to a relegation battle you wouldn't have any firepower to pick up those vital few points here and there.

You have some decent attacking players to at least be putting a few more chances in the net, I have always liked Weimann and Benteke is clearly capable of far better than he is producing, but the system really isn't working.

Hooray

Reaction score
Supports
Norwich City
I still love Lambert, and think he's a good manager, but his move to Villa just hasn't worked out.

He needs a new start somewhere else, possibly a league lower, where he can build an old Norwich-style squad there and get them up and progress that way.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
The squad is chock full of truly average-poor players (for this level), but needs new ideas applied to it. The quality in this league isn;t great and a team like Villa, with a frontman like Benteke, could definitely challenge to be top of the 'others', if you will.

I assume the main/only reason he hasn't been binned yet is because Lerner doesn't want to pay his severance? Lerner seemingly wants to put nothing in and likely couldn't afford it, after giving Lambert an extension in September. That's the worst thing, both the club and Lambert himself need to split.

Pyeman

Reaction score
Supports
Burnley
Villa aren't one of the worst three teams in the league and so I don't think they're really at risk of going down, but that might actually be part of the problem. They aren't quite bad enough for relegation, yet they haven't ever really looked like making any progress as a team under Lambert.

Whilst this remains the case, I can't see Lerner getting rid of him. It might be that a closer brush with relegation forces the club into action, but I just can't see that happening this season.

Humongous Fungus

Reaction score
Supports
The Villa
Having watched the match against Liverpool, I was really impressed with how we played the second half I see signs of improvement. Need to drop Gabby though he's just crap lately.

Reaction score
Supports
Jack Wilshere
Is it just me, or are Villa the only team that never seem to improve. Not just this season but in general. They have some decent players, so I can only see Lambert taking the fall sooner or later.

If he's still in charge at the end of the season, it'll only be because Villa kick a big team in the shins and have a good run of games. Otherwise he's gone.

FrazerLloyd

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Twitter
@FrazerLloyd
I reckon he could last all season.

Lerner clearly doesn't give a fuck and wants to sell up and so I'd imagine he'd find it very difficult to find a replacement. Given the little backing Lambert has had recently, the likelihood they'll be in the Championship next season and the exodus of players that that is going to result in, can you really see anyone wanting the job?

Unfortunately, Lerner is too dense to realise that if he can't get his valuation for the club now, he sure as hell won't get it in the Championship and at the moment I can't see anything but relegation for them.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
That is hardly a great budget compared to some of their similar size rivals. I mean, Everton splashed out £28m on one player!

Massively skewed stat, dont forget we sold Fellaini for about the same amount last summer. We also made about £13 million more than Villa in prize money last season too. We are very badly run off the pitch, it just goes unnoticed because we do pretty well despite it. See the state we are in this season, still with a wafer thin squad and decimated by injuries, yet we have still done nothing this month, other than get rid of Eto'o. I dont think Villa can really blame their problems on a low budget, as that is a reality for the majority of Prem clubs, with big money only being spent if they've struck big on a sale like we did last season.

Villa are a bit like Newcastle these days. An owner who generally doesnt care, as long as they stay in the Prem at the end of every season. Unless they really nosedive and end up in the bottom 3 very soon, I dont see Lambert getting sacked. I dont see him getting sacked at all unless they go down. That is a possibility mind, as that bottom half is ridiculously tight, and Villa just cant score goals. In previous seasons, they've stayed up just because they have goalscorers, like Bent and Benteke. Its not happening for Benteke this season, so I could definitely see them going. Worst side Ive seen play against us this season by a mile too.

SamScfc

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport
Twitter
@samcharnock94
They've got such an average squad, the table says Leicester are worse than them but even they have a more exciting squad with the likes of Vardy, Nugent, Ulloa, Mahrez and Knockaert, in them areas Villa have Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann, Benteke is good but the other 2 are shit. Then giving them service is a midfield of Cleverley, Westwood and Sanchez who are decent but don't really do anything.

Carles Gil looks good, I hope he plays as a number 10 and not in a three though.

FrazerLloyd

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Twitter
@FrazerLloyd
They've got such an average squad, the table says Leicester are worse than them but even they have a more exciting squad with the likes of Vardy, Nugent, Ulloa, Mahrez and Knockaert, in them areas Villa have Benteke, Agbonlahor and Weimann, Benteke is good but the other 2 are shit. Then giving them service is a midfield of Cleverley, Westwood and Sanchez who are decent but don't really do anything.

Carles Gil looks good, I hope he plays as a number 10 and not in a three though.
Benteke isn't as good as people make out in my opinion. He's got ability on the pitch but his attitude is awful. He threw his toys out of the pram at Genk, again at Villa and from what my mate tells me (Villa ST holder) he sulks on the pitch when the going gets tough.

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Smudge whats your stance on Martinez this season?

Im sticking up for him as much as I can, but he's making it hard at the moment. The majority of our problems this season stemmed from aging players suddenly getting over the hill very quickly (mainly Distin and Howard) and as a result, our defence starting the season horribly in a way we've struggled to recover from, and on top of that, injuries. James McCarthy is a bad miss, Barkley missed the start of the season, Mirallas has had two bad injuries, Osman and Pienaar are possibly finished, a nasty injury to Stones, Oviedo and Kone still coming back from long term injuries, Gibson injured as usual, and Coleman had a spell in and out too. That was the start of our problem, and for a long time, I couldnt really attribute any blame to Martinez at all, as with the squad so stretched, he couldnt really change anything.

Bad luck factored in next, we had a shocking run of games with some diabolical decisions going against us, the defeats at City and Spurs, Cisse escaping a red card for an elbow then scoring a crucial equaliser at Newcastle, a dodgy pen at home to Stoke etc. that then put us into a poor run, and since the QPR win, Im more concerned that for the most part, it is the players who are letting us down this season, as so many of them have hugely underperformed. Barry (though he has improved the last 3-4 games so Ill let him off) Barkley has been absolutely dreadful and strolling around like hard work is something superstars like him dont have to bother with, Howard and Distin as mentioned have been absolutely awful etc.

But...there have been some very odd tactical choices. Playing three number 10s and no wingers in our midfield in the surrender at Southampton. Picking McGeady...like ever. Resting players at home to Palace when we had a cup tie midweek to rest everybody. That tonight, taking off Besic and constantly sticking up for Barkley when his ego is out of control and he needs a kick up the arse more than having it stroked any further. That and refusing to criticise Mirallas after the penalty debacle tonight and going on saying he was injured and thats why he was subbed. I like him, I do, and I know there are other factors to blame in us being so bad this season, and Martinez can only really take a portion of the blame. And at the moment, Im glad for once that Kenwright is our chairman because he doesnt do sackings. But I am getting more and more concerned with every game.

Smally

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Im sticking up for him as much as I can, but he's making it hard at the moment. The majority of our problems this season stemmed from aging players suddenly getting over the hill very quickly (mainly Distin and Howard) and as a result, our defence starting the season horribly in a way we've struggled to recover from, and on top of that, injuries. James McCarthy is a bad miss, Barkley missed the start of the season, Mirallas has had two bad injuries, Osman and Pienaar are possibly finished, a nasty injury to Stones, Oviedo and Kone still coming back from long term injuries, Gibson injured as usual, and Coleman had a spell in and out too. That was the start of our problem, and for a long time, I couldnt really attribute any blame to Martinez at all, as with the squad so stretched, he couldnt really change anything.

Bad luck factored in next, we had a shocking run of games with some diabolical decisions going against us, the defeats at City and Spurs, Cisse escaping a red card for an elbow then scoring a crucial equaliser at Newcastle, a dodgy pen at home to Stoke etc. that then put us into a poor run, and since the QPR win, Im more concerned that for the most part, it is the players who are letting us down this season, as so many of them have hugely underperformed. Barry (though he has improved the last 3-4 games so Ill let him off) Barkley has been absolutely dreadful and strolling around like hard work is something superstars like him dont have to bother with, Howard and Distin as mentioned have been absolutely awful etc.

But...there have been some very odd tactical choices. Playing three number 10s and no wingers in our midfield in the surrender at Southampton. Picking McGeady...like ever. Resting players at home to Palace when we had a cup tie midweek to rest everybody. That tonight, taking off Besic and constantly sticking up for Barkley when his ego is out of control and he needs a kick up the arse more than having it stroked any further. That and refusing to criticise Mirallas after the penalty debacle tonight and going on saying he was injured and thats why he was subbed. I like him, I do, and I know there are other factors to blame in us being so bad this season, and Martinez can only really take a portion of the blame. And at the moment, Im glad for once that Kenwright is our chairman because he doesnt do sackings. But I am getting more and more concerned with every game.

Agree with most of that, other than the bit about Barkley's ego being out of control. To me it's clearly obvious his confidence is shot to bits and he's struggling for form so much it's painful watching him. He needs time out of the team because he's not doing anyone any favours at the moment.

Martinez needs to play all eleven players in their best positions for us to have a chance of improving, but he keeps playing Barkey off the striker and Naismith out wide. The only good thing to come out of the last few games is that we now know Robles isn't terrible, and that's clutching at straws. I do think Martinez deserves more time, but if we don't pick up a win soon then he's going to lose the fans. It's almost the polar opposite to last season when he was universally popular, hopefully he will learn from his many errors and soon if he's going to rectify anything from this season

Smudge

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Twitter
@SmudgeEFC1985
Thats my issue with Barkley though, the only way to turn your form around is to work hard, a few others, like Barry have improved recently because they are working a lot harder than they were in the previous few games. Barkley's work rate has got worse and worse in recent weeks, and a lack of confidence is no excuse for that. Naismith was awful last night, but it wasnt because he wasnt trying, despite the fact he was having a bad night, he was still always there and making himself available and wanting the ball. Barkley wants to take on everyone, or do nothing at all at the minute. Either way, he desperately needs taking out of the side, for his own sake and the teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!