How many 'good' seasons have you had following your club?

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
So my first match at Notts as a young nipper was a 4-0 win v Rotherham in 87/88. Which means including 2019/20, I've completed 33 seasons at Meadow Lane. Scary stuff. In that time, we have either been promoted or finished in the play-offs*, which I am deeming a 'good' season regardless of the play-off outcome, a grand total of 8 times - or 24%.

Which means a massive 76% of my time has either been relegation (5 times, from the top flight all the way down to NL), fighting relegation, a dull mid table finish, or a flirt with the play-offs before falling away. Or over three quarters, if we are doing fractions. Depressing.

Can anyone do better/worse?

*Even those 8 times were pretty crappy. It includes just two automatic promotions (Under Sam Allardyce when we walked L2, promoted in March, and the infamous 'Munto' season, although that was a tremendous laugh), two play-off wins (both under Neil Warnock, back-to-back promotions from division 3 to the top flight, the last being in 90/91), and four play-off defeats, with 2 at Wembley in the final - including last season's humbling by Harrogate).

JaredSUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Sutton United FC
Twitter
@suttonjared
I think I’ve been rather lucky as a Sutton supporter. My first game was in March of 1994 so I’m coming up on 27 years of being a Sutton supporter. In that time I’ve witnessed 3 Championships (1998/99 and 2010/11 both from the Isthmian Premier and 2015/16 from the National League South), plus a further 5 failed playoff seasons (2008/09 and 2009/10 in the Isthmian, 2011/12 and 2013/14 in the National League South, 2017/18 in this division) plus a few 2nd and 3rd place seasons in the days before playoffs in Non-League Football. I’ve also experienced Sutton’s best ever run in the FA Cup (5th round in 2016/17), plus a few minor cup wins (Surrey Senior and various Isthmian League cups). Looking at the dates it’s obvious Sutton have been experiencing a relative golden spell in the last decade or so.

It hasn’t always been sunshine and smiles, I’ve seen two relegations (1999/2000 from the Conference and 2007/08 from the Conference South) both times finishing bottom of the table by a clear margin. 07/08 saw us pick up just 24 points all season. My first full season (1994/95) nearly saw relegation from the Isthmian Premier. Generally however we don’t do proper relegation scraps - we just go down without a whimper.

Most of the rest of the time we’ve been around average in whatever division we’ve been in.

I won’t do percentages or fractions but it’s generally been a good time being a Sutton supporter particularly after Paul Doswell became manager in 2008 (Dos of course left the club in 2019, and he left the club in a far better place than when he arrived). So I’m lucky and blessed I guess.

Soup Ladle

Reaction score
Supports
Hartlepool
Been following Pools 25 seasons now.

We’ve had 2 relegations in that time. 2 promotions, 4 play off campaigns including the L1 play off final, countless lower half finishes in both L1 and L2, a few relegation scraps.

Since 2006 was our most barren time. Not a single top half finish until we PPG’d 12th last season though would’ve been higher if the season was to finish properly.

Depends what you count as ‘good’ seasons. I used to hate us bumming around in mid table L1 playing turgid football but they’d be classed as good seasons by today’s standard.

So out of the 25 we’ve maybe had 9 or 10 good years but not a single one since 2006 can be classed as decent.

Minstermen central

Reaction score
Supports
York City
5 seasons from 1984 were brilliant following York,our most successful time and great away days.
Been shit for 20 years but always gone except a year when wasn’t allowed.
Beating Luton at Wembley made up for a lot of the hurt though.
4 seasons in dog and duck league is a hard pill to swallow.

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
First game in April 1960 v Southport in Div 4. First 3 seasons we finished bottom of Div 4 but were re-elected. First excitement was in 1964 when we reached the third round of FA Cup and went to Old Trafford and Law, Charlton, Best et al. We led 1-0 but eventually lost 2-1, due only to the magnificence of Bobby Charlton. We didn't get promoted until 1975 and also reached the S/F of the League Cup beating among others the full Leeds Utd and Newcastle teams on the way, Eventually lost 5-4 on aggregate to Aston Villa in S/F. Most of the rest of the time it's been pretty desperate. We've never finished higher than 5th in Tier 3 in my time (no play-offs in those days. 3 play-off seasons and never won a game. Owned by Barnes, Gutterman, Mad Terry and Vaughan since the 80s we were eventually liquidated in 2009/10. We started again as a fan-owned entity in 2010 at Step 8 and so far as I know became the first team to win 3 consecutive Championships in the top 8 tiers of football, We reached the Conference Premiership in 2014 and it's been pretty shit since.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
So my first match at Notts as a young nipper was a 4-0 win v Rotherham in 87/88. Which means including 2019/20, I've completed 33 seasons at Meadow Lane. Scary stuff. In that time, we have either been promoted or finished in the play-offs*, which I am deeming a 'good' season regardless of the play-off outcome, a grand total of 8 times - or 24%.

Which means a massive 76% of my time has either been relegation (5 times, from the top flight all the way down to NL), fighting relegation, a dull mid table finish, or a flirt with the play-offs before falling away. Or over three quarters, if we are doing fractions. Depressing.

Can anyone do better/worse?

*Even those 8 times were pretty crappy. It includes just two automatic promotions (Under Sam Allardyce when we walked L2, promoted in March, and the infamous 'Munto' season, although that was a tremendous laugh), two play-off wins (both under Neil Warnock, back-to-back promotions from division 3 to the top flight, the last being in 90/91), and four play-off defeats, with 2 at Wembley in the final - including last season's humbling by Harrogate).
Depends what you're classing as a good season really. You could argue that for a club like ours, staving off relegation in the second tier for pretty much the entire 90s were better seasons than the three back to back failed playoff campaigns in the Conference between 2012/13 2014/15.

Stocky

Reaction score
Supports
Stockport County.
Depends what you're classing as a good season really. You could argue that for a club like ours, staving off relegation in the second tier for pretty much the entire 90s were better seasons than the three back to back failed playoff campaigns in the Conference between 2012/13 2014/15.
What's more enjoyable though? That's a genuine open ended question.

I think I prefer being a promotion mix in a division than fighting for survival in one higher.

Being in the National North was horrendous but winning the league was quite a fun season. Did I enjoy that season more than when we were fighting relegation in say League One? Yeah definitley.

As for us, I've seen 5 relegations and 2 promotions I think off the top of my head.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town

I think I prefer being a promotion mix in a division than fighting for survival in one higher.

Being in the National North was horrendous but winning the league was quite a fun season. Did I enjoy that season more than when we were fighting relegation in say League One? Yeah definitley.

As for us, I've seen 5 relegations and 2 promotions I think off the top of my head.
I posed a similar question to the other Town fans on here ages ago regarding being in the Conference playoffs vs being in the League 2 dogfight. For me, ignoring the fact that obviously EFL football is much better for the sustainability of the club, I prefer being in the playoff hunt. However, I think you have to contextualise it and consider your natural level a bit. I'd rather be punching well above our weight in the second tier in continuous dogfights than in fifth tier playoff seasons, easily. We should be doing better than the bottom half of League 2, in my opinion - so that makes the League 2 dogfights a bit depressing. I guess the question for us that I'd have to have a longer think about what be League 1 relegation battles vs League 2 promotion battles as I think our natural level is probably just above those League 1 relegation spots.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Been a bit of a mixed bag really

First game was 98/99 season, first season properly watching was 00/01 - meaning I missed out on the FA Cup Semi Final in 97, and promotion / victory at Wembley in 95.

That makes this season my 21st season - 10 of those in League 1, 8 in league 2, 3 in NL.

In that time we've had 3 promotions from League 2 into League 1, 2 as Champions (10-11 & 13-14) and 1 as 3rd place (00-01)

We've also won the JPT once in 11-12 but were relegated that season, got lost in the final once (13-14) but won the league that year.

I've seen us relegated 4 times - 3 times from League 1 into League 2 (06-07, 11-12 & 16-17) and 1 time from League 2 (17-18)

Also saw us in the Play Offs once - in League 1 in 14-15 (beaten by Preston).

Fair to say it's a mixed bag - our average finishing position in my time has been 14th - but is 20th in the last 5 seasons.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Started supporting Barnet during 89-90, so..
89-93 - brilliant, never to be repeated
93/94 relegated but glad to stil have a club
94/95 early promise but ultimately fizzled out
95/96 Almost a great season
96/97 Meh
97/98 Play-offs but dire Stillball to watch
98/99 Dire Stillball to watch, no play-offs
99/00 Play-offs with Currie’s wing magic
00/01 The most fucked up season ever
01-03 A transitional phase
03/04 Martin Allen’s unique brand of management takes us to the play-offs. He leaves us mid-season, not sure we’ll see him manage at this level again..
04/05 A season where you’re top of the league from the end of August and win it by 12 points cannot be anything other than brilliant
05-08 Steady consolidation in League 2 under Fairclough with some great cup wins]
08-13 Things start to go wrong, we edge closer to relegation with some last day escapes. Tony K goes through more than a manager a season. Martin Allen reappears and saves us. Edgar Davids turns up and surreally we see him grace the Underhill turf. Goodbye to Underhill. Last day relegation.
13/14 Hello to the Hive. Disappointing. Allen comes back again.
14/15 Champions!
15/16 Ok
16/17 Allen flounces off while we’re doing well. We spend a lot of money on players in January and think this could be our year before we totally collapse in the second half of the season.
17/18 Another utter disaster. Martin Allen comes back again and would have saved us if Coventry and Morecambe did not agree to reprise 1982 Austria vs West Germany.
18/19 Hello to neutered Stillball. Underwhelming apart from our cup run.
19/20 Continually on the verge of being a very good team. Dismantled after our play-off defeat and Currie throws in the towel.
20/21 Utter disaster so far.

Master D

Reaction score
Supports
The Natural Order
Only a few. The 90's were good, we were a solid Division 2 side every year with a good FA Cup run chucked in. We were giant-killers almost every year.

02-03 is the best season following us, best football I've seen us play. Went up from Division 3.

Nothing since really, best part of 20 years.

Jerry

Reaction score
Supports
Torquay

The thing is though a successful relgation fight ends with joyous scenes and a feeling of elation at a miracle escape. Whereas a failed promotion push end in tears and a feeling of despair as you blow it at the last minute.

Followed Torquay since 1988 and seen us twice promoted to the third level (once automatically) but each time only for a season. Also promotions from this league and the league below (only time we've ever won anything). So 4 promotions and 5 relegations. Also got to the final of the Sherpa Van Trophy in 1989 (this was before play-offs made visiting Wembley almost commonplace for us little clubs), seen us at Wembley for play offs in 1992 (promoted on penalties!), 1998 (lost) and 2009 (won) and in the Trophy (2008 - lost). Plus a playoff final at Old Trafford (2011 - lost). Also lost in the play-off semis 3 times.

Vanni

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
What's a season? I've only been supporting the new Salford for about two weeks now.

But I'm sure that I'll be celebrating along with all the other Wrexham fans in a years time thanks to Mr Reynolds and his pal.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
Some interesting replies so far. Does a great escape/last day survival make a ‘good’ season? We’ve had at least four since I’ve been going, off the top of my head, and they certainly stick in the memory than the boring years we finished mid table in L2 under the supporters trust. Equally in 93/94 we beat Forest, Leicester and Derby at home in the league (the latter both 4-1), narrowly missing out on a return to the top flight, but I didn’t include that in my good seasons because it ultimately ended in disappointment.

However bad I’ve had it though, I’ve at least fared better than the younger Notts fans on here. I imagine the likes of Jacob weren’t even born for the Warnock glory years, likely don’t remember much about the Allardyce promotion, and only have the Munto title and a couple of disappointing play off semi defeats in 20-odd years of going down.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Only a few. The 90's were good, we were a solid Division 2 side every year with a good FA Cup run chucked in. We were giant-killers almost every year.

02-03 is the best season following us, best football I've seen us play. Went up from Division 3.

Nothing since really, best part of 20 years.

This.

I can't believe anyone was ever dissatisfied with finishing just outside the second division (league 1) play offs, but there was a lot of grumbling. In hindsight those were definitely the best years I've had as a Wrexham fan (watching since the early 90s). The promotion season from league 2 was excellent.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Been a bit of a mixed bag really

First game was 98/99 season, first season properly watching was 00/01 - meaning I missed out on the FA Cup Semi Final in 97, and promotion / victory at Wembley in 95.

That makes this season my 21st season - 10 of those in League 1, 8 in league 2, 3 in NL.

In that time we've had 3 promotions from League 2 into League 1, 2 as Champions (10-11 & 13-14) and 1 as 3rd place (00-01)

We've also won the JPT once in 11-12 but were relegated that season, got lost in the final once (13-14) but won the league that year.

I've seen us relegated 4 times - 3 times from League 1 into League 2 (06-07, 11-12 & 16-17) and 1 time from League 2 (17-18)

Also saw us in the Play Offs once - in League 1 in 14-15 (beaten by Preston).

Fair to say it's a mixed bag - our average finishing position in my time has been 14th - but is 20th in the last 5 seasons.

First season ticket in 00/01 also. Before that like you a missed out on the FA Cup Semi and watched the odd game but was too young really.

Its definitely been mostly a yo-yo experience of promotion and relegation, with the last 5 years being constant decline.

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
I'm still angry we drew Chesterfield away for that FA Cup QF.

We'd have beaten Middlesborough.

CFC91

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
W
I'm still angry we drew Chesterfield away for that FA Cup QF.

We'd have beaten Middlesborough.
We did if it wasn’t for David Elleray. Di Matteo wouldn’t have scored that goal from the KO in the Final against us, Dyche would have clattered him

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
The start of following Lincoln properly for me was Keith Alexander's first season, which was also the first after admin and that's why I decided to get a season ticket really - 2002/03 so I'm 18 years in now.

In that time we've been relegated once, 7x L2 PO defeats (5x semis and 2x finals), 1x NL title, 1x L2 title, 1x EFL Trophy and 1x FA Cup QF so it's not been too bad at all.

Worth mentioning that we did have 9 consecutive years of bottom half finishes sandwiched in between some good times and I did wonder whether we'd ever actually do something noteworthy again whilst I was sitting there watching us lose to an already relegated Hayes and Yeading side! Our bottom half finishes were generally ones where we flirted with relegation as well (either from L2 or the NL) so they were never comfortable mid-tables either.

The collapse of 2010/11 was definitely the worst in terms of the manner of it. I'm sure if I looked back properly they'd have been a worse season overall as daft as that sounds.

The three Cowley years obviously stand out. 2016/17 was the best with a league title, FA Cup run and semis of the FA Trophy - it was a hell of a season. 2017/18 was PO defeat but 31,000 travelling down for our first Wembley appearance in our history. In 2018/19 we effectively won the league by mid-March and that felt inevitable from early in the season so it didn't quite feel as enjoyable as two years before.

This season is shaping up nicely at the minute in L1 but teams will be sniffing soon at LN5 expecting January sales...

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
The start of following Lincoln properly for me was Keith Alexander's first season, which was also the first after admin and that's why I decided to get a season ticket really - 2002/03 so I'm 18 years in now.

In that time we've been relegated once, 7x L2 PO defeats (5x semis and 2x finals), 1x NL title, 1x L2 title, 1x EFL Trophy and 1x FA Cup QF so it's not been too bad at all.

Worth mentioning that we did have 9 consecutive years of bottom half finishes sandwiched in between some good times and I did wonder whether we'd ever actually do something noteworthy again whilst I was sitting there watching us lose to an already relegated Hayes and Yeading side! Our bottom half finishes were generally ones where we flirted with relegation as well (either from L2 or the NL) so they were never comfortable mid-tables either.

The collapse of 2010/11 was definitely the worst in terms of the manner of it. I'm sure if I looked back properly they'd have been a worse season overall as daft as that sounds.

The three Cowley years obviously stand out. 2016/17 was the best with a league title, FA Cup run and semis of the FA Trophy - it was a hell of a season. 2017/18 was PO defeat but 31,000 travelling down for our first Wembley appearance in our history. In 2018/19 we effectively won the league by mid-March and that felt inevitable from early in the season so it didn't quite feel as enjoyable as two years before.

This season is shaping up nicely at the minute in L1 but teams will be sniffing soon at LN5 expecting January sales...
I remember the start of that. We played you in a pay-what-you-like game. Instead of your normal 2,500 you got about 4,500. We played quite well that day but you won 2-1, because we did our usual trick of standing off Rhead (who always scored at least one against us). I think you were owing £350k to the Coop Bank at the time and they were calling it in. That game seemed to be a catalyst for you. I feel you never looked back after that. To top it off I gave our manager of the time Jon McCarthy a bollocking in that chippie near the ground. Btw we are still trying to recover from his disastrous stint.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
I remember the start of that. We played you in a pay-what-you-like game. Instead of your normal 2,500 you got about 4,500. We played quite well that day but you won 2-1, because we did our usual trick of standing off Rhead (who always scored at least one against us). I think you were owing £350k to the Coop Bank at the time and they were calling it in. That game seemed to be a catalyst for you. I feel you never looked back after that. To top it off I gave our manager of the time Jon McCarthy a bollocking in that chippie near the ground. Btw we are still trying to recover from his disastrous stint.
That was 18 months or so before the Cowley's in early 2015 when we had Chris Moyses as manager. I'm pretty sure you won the game as well.

It really started when we beat Oldham on a foggy Monday night the FA Cup in December 2016.

You're correct it was to try and raise funds for the repayment of the Co-op overdraft, though (although the overdraft limit was £380k - that wasn't what we actually owed them).

Railway Blue

Reaction score
Supports
Chester FC
That was 18 months or so before the Cowley's in early 2015 when we had Chris Moyses as manager. I'm pretty sure you won the game as well.

It really started when we beat Oldham on a foggy Monday night the FA Cup in December 2016.

You're correct it was to try and raise funds for the repayment of the Co-op overdraft, though (although the overdraft limit was £380k - that wasn't what we actually owed them).
Always enjoyed the drive over to SB and always called at some friends over in Rutland on way home. Hell of a drive that particularly in bad weather.

karlready

Reaction score
Supports
Aldershot (and Boreham Wood, apparently )
Although they were a league club for 60-odd years, Shots have never done much more than flounder about and survive. Of course, there were odd years of relative success, cup runs, etc, but the football was great, decent crowds and good opposition. Things got really bad in the 80’s, and going bust in 1992 meant a restart in tier 5.Ironically, then followed Shot’s “best” seasons, but only because we won almost every week, albeit against dog-and-duck level teams. When we eventually got back to the Football League, it was same old, same old, and we went bust again. Fated to struggle, and we’ve never been to Wembley. Ho hum...

OneDecentLester

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield FC
We tend to ride the waves supporting Chesterfield in fairness. We’re usually either flirting with promotion/play offs or in and around relegation battles, rarely any inbetweens!

Last 10 years for example we’ve had:

- 2x league title wins (league 2)
- 1x JPT win at Wembley
- League 1 play offs
- Runner up in JPT at Wembley

but we’ve also had..

- 3x relegations (2 from league 1, 1 from league 2)
- Back to back underperforming seasons in non league where we’ve almost been relegation twice
- Ownership regime that seemed intent on driving the club into oblivion
- 8 managers in 5 years!!

... I think we’re due an uneventful season, comfortable mid table finish with no looking over the shoulder. It’s been a long long time since we’ve had one of those!

Paddy

Reaction score
Supports
Kingstonian
Started supporting Kingstonian in 1998, so I came in right on the glory years... missed the 1997/98 Isthmian championship by a few months but I got to see us finish 8th & 5th in the Conference, winning the FA Trophy both seasons & then reached the FA Cup 4th Round the following season.

Then we skip from 2001/02 for a few years where many a bad thing happened to finally ousting ourselves of terrible ownership & beating AFC Wimbledon in the 2006 Surrey Senior Cup final). Not long after that we won the Isthmian Division One South in 2009.

The following years up to now have been mostly mixed bags, some high points like having two (unsuccessful) cracks at the Isthmian Play Offs & some low points like no longer playing in Kingston.

I've basically been a supporter through the highest & lowest points in the clubs history so at the very least it is eventful being a K's fan.

MrGloverLover

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
33 seasons under my belt and we've been promoted 5 times during that period. The 3 relegations in the last 7 years are more than in our previous 118 years put together.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Supported Wrexham since the late 90s, so I've seen us go up once. Doubt there's many sides out there with a run as poor as that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
feby2112

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!