Is Brendan Rogers position under threat ?

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat
Liverpool tried to get Sanchez when they sold Suarez. What WOULD life be like had they succeeded?

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Liverpool tried to get Sanchez when they sold Suarez. What WOULD life be like had they succeeded?
A lot better obviously. I feel a bit sorry for Rodgers, he did identify Costa before he turned great and Sanchez this summer, it's just that both completely ignored us.

Leewilson

Staff member
Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham and Redbridge
I imagine Liverpool would have played Sanchez in the lone striker role since Sturridge has barely played a part. I'm not sure he would have been anywhere near successful there as he has been a little deeper for Arsenal.

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
Possibly, but they'd almost certainly be getting less bent over by Sterling than they currently are.

thespus

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
Judging by the money spent, I don't think affording Alexis was the issue despite Salty's theory earlier in this discussion that Liverpool cannot compete financially with those above them in the table.

Last edited:

thespus

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
Good article on where Liverpool stand and where they should be according to wealth. Turns out they are doing about par which is what I've been saying and why getting rid of Rodgers won't make that much of a difference in the mid-long term.

http://tomkinstimes.com/2015/05/listen-up-fuckwits/

I've just read this, and it is a good article. However, it seems to support my theory that Rodgers isn't going to be the man to meet the ambitions your supporters possess. Sure, he can maintain the status quo, and occasionally challenge it when he has the third best player on the planet, but are you lot really happy with this? I remember quite a few of you giving it large to Wenger asking if we were happy with always finishing fourth? Well, we've won titles with him and have made improvements each of the past two seasons. If it's possible for Wenger to overachieve relative to money spent as he has done so often in the past two decades, why shouldn't a club as massive as Liverpool be employing a man with similar quality? Klopp's dismantling of Madrid in the Champions League is an accomplishment Rodgers can only dream about. I'm not saying Rodgers is poor, but the opportunity to take a chance on Klopp isn't one to dismiss lightly.

Last edited:

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
I've just read this, and it is a good article. However, it seems to support my theory that Rodgers isn't going to be the man to meet the ambitions your supporters possess. Sure, he can maintain the status quo, and occasionally challenge it when he has the third best player on the planet, but are you lot really happy with this? I remember quite a few of you giving it large to Wenger asking if we were happy with always finishing fourth? Well, we've won titles with him and have made improvements each of the past two seasons. If it's possible for Wenger to overachieve relative to money spent as he has done so often in the past two decades, why shouldn't a club as massive as Liverpool be employing a man with similar quality? Klopp's dismantling of Madrid in the Champions League is an accomplishment Rodgers can only dream about. I'm not saying Rodgers is poor, but the opportunity to take a chance on Klopp isn't one to dismiss lightly.

I said it the other day, Rodgers is the best they can hope to get just now and fits in with FSG's philosophy of keeping costs down, bringing youth through or signing youth sprinkled with some marquee signings (of which they have signed zilch - not their fault mind, they have tried). Rodgers has to get at least another season to see if he can get the team really competing again, though currently he seems to be a nearly man and he really has to start turning into a winner soon if he is to be accepted by the fans longer term. Klopp may be willing to go to Liverpool and it would perhaps help on getting bigger names to go there, but I don't think he will be offered the chance anyway as FSG will keep Rodgers another season and Klopp will be somewhere else next season, perhaps Real Madrid if Ancelotti doesn't win one of the two main targets for them this year.

I have every confidence Rodgers will get Liverpool competing again next season, as imo they aren't that far off being a decent side even if the other big clubs in the league also improve on the signings they can make. Longer term, whether they can compete with those clubs still, we'll have to see.

allouso

Reaction score
Supports
Liverpool FC
Twitter
@estouma
Judging by the money spent, I don't think affording Alexis was the issue despite Salty's theory earlier in this discussion that Liverpool cannot compete financially with those above them in the table.
Don't think anyone mentioned anything about us not being able to afford him on here, from what i've seen anyway. He ignored us because Arsenal were a better prospect.

Plus, there's London.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Don't think anyone mentioned anything about us not being able to afford him on here, from what i've seen anyway. He ignored us because Arsenal were a better prospect.

Plus, there's London.
I heard he was interested, but the wife wanted to live in London. No surprise to me that he didn't sign though, and there won't be any marquee signings in the summer. They'll probably end up signing a £20 mill kid who scored a hat-trick once in the Iranian third division. Mind you at least there will be no Johnson so there's that! :D

Humongous Fungus

Reaction score
Supports
The Villa
Is living in London such a massive part of players decisions when deciding between clubs? If the locations of Liverpool and Arsenal were swapped, I would say that Sanchez would be living in Merseyside right now. It's nice to think that the club you support only loses out on players because of trivial things out of their control, but we just have to accept that they're bigger clubs out there. We (Villa) were close to signing Coutinho I believe, before Liverpool stepped in. Nothing we can do about it, Liverpool are just considerably bigger than we are.

merseyboyred

Reaction score
Supports
Leivapool
Twitter
@merseyboyred
Arsenal aren't any "bigger" per se, but are a more recently established CL club in a much more attractive location to South American players, it's naive to think London doesn't have a bigger pull to players than other places in the country. Heck, even though half his fanbase deride him every time there's a loss and want his blood, Wenger does have a far, far bigger reputation than Rodgers too. There were understandable reasons as to why Sanchez (and whoever his partner were/are) chose Arsenal over us, given afaik both clubs offered him very similar financial deals.

thespus

Reaction score
Supports
Arsenal
I said it the other day, Rodgers is the best they can hope to get just now and fits in with FSG's philosophy of keeping costs down, bringing youth through or signing youth sprinkled with some marquee signings (of which they have signed zilch - not their fault mind, they have tried). Rodgers has to get at least another season to see if he can get the team really competing again, though currently he seems to be a nearly man and he really has to start turning into a winner soon if he is to be accepted by the fans longer term. Klopp may be willing to go to Liverpool and it would perhaps help on getting bigger names to go there, but I don't think he will be offered the chance anyway as FSG will keep Rodgers another season and Klopp will be somewhere else next season, perhaps Real Madrid if Ancelotti doesn't win one of the two main targets for them this year.

I have every confidence Rodgers will get Liverpool competing again next season, as imo they aren't that far off being a decent side even if the other big clubs in the league also improve on the signings they can make. Longer term, whether they can compete with those clubs still, we'll have to see.

So Rodgers finishing 5th because his team has a marginally lower wage bracket than the top four is the best Liverpool can hope for? Sure makes me appreciate what Wenger achieved for the near decade Arsenal were 19th or so in net spend. If you think wages are the bigger indicator, because it's more convenient to ignore how much money Rodgers has spent, why doesn't Liverpool/Rodgers spend a little less on transfers and re-appropriate that money for higher wages?

The point still stands as it is. Manchester United got all their first choice targets and spent world class fees getting them. Liverpool can't afford to buy the finished article and has to spend money on promising talent.

This is what sparked the initial financial disparity discussion.

Arsenal aren't any "bigger" per se, but are a more recently established CL club in a much more attractive location to South American players, it's naive to think London doesn't have a bigger pull to players than other places in the country. Heck, even though half his fanbase deride him every time there's a loss and want his blood, Wenger does have a far, far bigger reputation than Rodgers too. There were understandable reasons as to why Sanchez (and whoever his partner were/are) chose Arsenal over us, given afaik both clubs offered him very similar financial deals.

Higher turnovers, a more recent trophy, significantly better head to head record in recent seasons, a better manager, a stronger squad, better facilities (thanks largely to Wenger), and consistently playing in the CL—bigger is just about right for a modern player's perception. History doesn't mean much to non-supporters. Winning the CL in 2006 doesn't make Liverpool more likely to win another before Arsenal; it's a logical fallacy and nothing else.

Popeye

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United, Northern Ireland
If Liverpool bucked out Rodgers he'd go to Newcastle (if they stay up), Liverpool well get Klopp, Brendo will beat Liverpool and you'll be wondering why you ever got rid of him...

...I've played too much Football Manager.

SkyBlueElephant

Reaction score
Supports
Coventry
Problem is, you now have 5 teams who are expecting champions league qualification as a minimum/par. 5 teams don't go into 4 positions so will whatever club misses out sack their manager season after season?

Brendan Rodgers is a very good manager imo but his inexperience shows in the big games when the pressure is on, as long as he can learn from that he will be a great manager in 4/5 years time. One thing that has bothered me is the constant tinkering of players positions, I get he wants the players to be tactically flexible which is great but it goes too far sometimes.

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
From next year also it may only be the top three that go into the CL if the coefficient gets any worse. I wonder if teams who finish in the Europa League spots will then start to take it seriously?

Smally

Reaction score
Supports
Everton
Everton & Spurs got to the knockout rounds in the Europa this season, who else qualified for the Europa? I think Hull had a qualifier, but was it only Everton & Spurs in the group stages? Liverpool got knocked out the CL in the group stages which won't have helped the coefficient. Is it Italy or France who could overtake England?

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Everton & Spurs got to the knockout rounds in the Europa this season, who else qualified for the Europa? I think Hull had a qualifier, but was it only Everton & Spurs in the group stages? Liverpool got knocked out the CL in the group stages which won't have helped the coefficient. Is it Italy or France who could overtake England?
Italy I believe, with Juve getting to this stage in the CL and Fiorentina and Napoli still in the Europa also.

Reaction score
Supports
Jack Wilshere
Heard a rumour that Mino Raiola has been told Rodgers won't be at Liverpool next season. The owners don't have faith that he's the man to take Liverpool forward.

#ITK #MYSOURCESTELLME #HASHTAG #99.9%BULLSHIT

SALTIRE

Slàinte mhath!
Reaction score
Supports
A guid dram
Heard a rumour that Mino Raiola has been told Rodgers won't be at Liverpool next season. The owners don't have faith that he's the man to take Liverpool forward.

#ITK #MYSOURCESTELLME #HASHTAG #99.9%BULLSHIT
:lol:

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
Higher turnovers, a more recent trophy, significantly better head to head record in recent seasons, a better manager, a stronger squad, better facilities (thanks largely to Wenger), and consistently playing in the CL—bigger is just about right for a modern player's perception. History doesn't mean much to non-supporters. Winning the CL in 2006 doesn't make Liverpool more likely to win another before Arsenal; it's a logical fallacy and nothing else.
2005*.

Italy I believe, with Juve getting to this stage in the CL and Fiorentina and Napoli still in the Europa also.
I would think we'd get more points for having two CL clubs in the quarter-finals. Whoever is approaching, England must be wary as having no clubs in the quarter-finals is as worrying as it is unprecedented (in recent history that is).

Liverpool would be stupid to sack Rodgers. It's natural that they had a tough time as they sold their best player and had their striker out injured for 3/4 of the season. The signings have taken time adapting to the Premiership (as have most players unaccustomed to this league) and haven't been as bad as they say (Balotelli aside). I still find it impressive that they can still mathematically clinch 4th with 2 games to go. Shows you how weak the league has become.

Spear

Reaction score
Supports
Manchester United
Tony Barrett of the Times says this is happening in next days with Klopp coming in

After Stoke apparently ?

MOTWYW

JimJams

Reaction score
Supports
Premier League Champions 15/16
Wouldn't be a shock. But it would be a shame. It's a tough task for Liverpool to crack the top 4 given the sides they're competing with, and it's only going to get harder. But I think the fact that Man Utd had quite a slump in results just recently and Liverpool were unable to take advantage adds to the disappointment for them somewhat. It wasn't mathematically over even though it looked unlikely, but the Liverpool side put in performances as if it were already a done deal and they'd have to settle for 5th. They've not played a good game for a while either, you look at the game since beating Man City on the 1st of March and it's not particularly inspiring, even with some of the positive results. They've won 5 games in that time against Newcastle, the worst form team in England, now relegated Burnley and QPR, Blackburn by a single goal in a replay because they could only manage a 0-0 in the first tie and Swansea, the only side out of them that Liverpool wouldn't expect to beat quite comfortably. This poor run also came after being dumped out of Europe by Besiktas. Prior to that Liverpool were on a great run of form which seemed to dull the memories a bit of supporters as earlier in the season there were calls for Rodgers to be booted thanks to a poor start. He's running seriously hot n cold, and I don't think anyone would expect things to change next season.
Saying that, I'm sure Newcastle fans would love him to get the boot so he can be assistant to John Carver and learn a thing or two.

Christian Slater

Reaction score
Supports
Mino Raiola & Jorge Mendes
I'd be a bit gutted if Liverpool announced they'd be hiring Klopp, worried too.

smat

Reaction score
Supports
arsenal
Twitter
@mrsmat
Four separate, but almost identical, articles have materialised within an hour of each other in the Times, Telegraph, Express and Mirror. They all say that FSG will ask Rodgers to explain himself, basically. And that there will be changes at Liverpool, tho not necessarily including a new manager. They are so similar it seems like a press release (which it probably is). Dunno what the purpose is... Either to reassure fans that they think the season's been shit too, or sending off an early warning shot to Rodgers to be prepared for changes. Director of Football or sutin?

mistermagic

Reaction score
Supports
Stoke City (I don't make the rules, Epic73 does)
Twitter
@FinallyFifou
Wouldn't be a shock. But it would be a shame. It's a tough task for Liverpool to crack the top 4 given the sides they're competing with, and it's only going to get harder. But I think the fact that Man Utd had quite a slump in results just recently and Liverpool were unable to take advantage adds to the disappointment for them somewhat. It wasn't mathematically over even though it looked unlikely, but the Liverpool side put in performances as if it were already a done deal and they'd have to settle for 5th. They've not played a good game for a while either, you look at the game since beating Man City on the 1st of March and it's not particularly inspiring, even with some of the positive results. They've won 5 games in that time against Newcastle, the worst form team in England, now relegated Burnley and QPR, Blackburn by a single goal in a replay because they could only manage a 0-0 in the first tie and Swansea, the only side out of them that Liverpool wouldn't expect to beat quite comfortably. This poor run also came after being dumped out of Europe by Besiktas. Prior to that Liverpool were on a great run of form which seemed to dull the memories a bit of supporters as earlier in the season there were calls for Rodgers to be booted thanks to a poor start. He's running seriously hot n cold, and I don't think anyone would expect things to change next season.
Saying that, I'm sure Newcastle fans would love him to get the boot so he can be assistant to John Carver and learn a thing or two.
The double header against United and Arsenal (lost both) looked to have killed them. Rodgers probably thought "sod this, I'll do better next season once Balotelli is out of the building. And Lambert. And Lovren." but what really surprised was the FA Cup semi loss. At least beat bloody Villa. It does send a message that anyone can beat Liverpool these days.

Reaction score
Supports
Dr Tony's Villa Revolution
The double header against United and Arsenal (lost both) looked to have killed them. Rodgers probably thought "sod this, I'll do better next season once Balotelli is out of the building. And Lambert. And Lovren." but what really surprised was the FA Cup semi loss. At least beat bloody Villa. It does send a message that anyone can beat Liverpool these days.

Oi! Since Sherwood took over we've been a damned good team (with the exception of the Southampton result), we're no longer a given win, Arsenal are in for a shock if they think that it'll be easy in the final. :lol:

Reaction score
Supports
Dr Tony's Villa Revolution
The jinx is real! :doh:

:lol: I don't think any Villa fan expects to win it, so personally it won't be a massive disappointment if we don't, if we do, I'll be fucking ecstatic. Let's face it, it's about time, only 58 years after we last won it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yellowman
Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!