January Sales

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
(Shamelessly stolen from the league 1 forum)

So with January not too far away, and the transfer window sweeping open, what are League 2 fans' desires for their club to bring in to strengthen for the remainder of the season?

For us of course we are quite reliant on loanees and short term signings. Caddis and Donoghue signing until the end of the season means we are fairly well stocked squad wise now in all positions and we don't really require to strengthen.

Clearly the chances of us pressing on to go up depend on the situation of 4 key players. Adam May has been poor on loan from Pompey and I expect will go back as he's very much a reserve now,

Keeper Steven Benda who is on a season long loan but is in the sights of Villa and Liverpool if reports are to be believed. Unlikely to be recalled by Swansea. Edit. Literally just been confirmed he's stating until the end of the season.
Anthony Grant's loan is up in Jan I think. We are desperate to extend or sign him permanently as he has been absolutely immense. Him, Lydon and Doughty are as good a midfield in this division and he really drives the team on.
Jerry Yates and Eoin Doyle are on season-long loans but according to the below report in the local rag require confirmation from their parent clubs.

Although the deals are stated as season-long agreements, that needs to be rubber-stamped by all parties in January.
Wellens says Town remain in negotiations to keep the two strikers at SN1 for the full campaign, adding that both players want to stay too.
“We are in contact on a regular basis with all the parent clubs but, at the moment, it is December and we can’t do anything,” said Wellens.
“All the players that I have spoken to all want to stay, which is the main thing.”

Shouldn't be an issue with Yates, however the Doyle thing is more pressing given his goals. I read that he doesn't suit Bradford's style of play so he'll either go back to Bradford and they change their style to accomodate him, or he's just recalled in order to take him away from a promotion rival. Or he stays at us for the season. Time will tell but I suspect he'll stay.

Last edited:

valefan16

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
We need a natural left back, Crookes seems to be out for a while and Monty is covering and doing ok but a natural decent one would be good, might be worth trying to get Mitch Clarke back after turning us down to play in Leicester's U23's.

A powerful midfielder wouldn't go amiss to cover Manny's spaghetti hamstrings although he is due back which if fit would be a mega boost.

Keeping Jake Taylor who's loan is up is critical but L1 and other L2 teams are sniffing around allegedly so may be where the Man City money comes into play.

I expect we will look to loan a couple out and maybe offload the odd one such as Lloyd, Kennedy, possibly loan Archer out.

SVH

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
We need a target man and a right winger. We didn't repalce Amoo as we started the season 3-5-2 but are now playing a 4-4-2 with a diamond in midfield so need a winger.

Jack Roles - on loan from Spurs will hopefully extend until the end of the season but I believe there is league one interest.
Sam Smith - season long loan from Reading and thankfully as he's been excellent scoring 6 goals
Marc Richards - six month deal is up in Jan and I would get rid. 37 years old and it tells. Unless he's scoring goals he doesn't do much else.
Elliott Ward - six month deal also up in Jan. He's just about done enough over the recent formation change to get a deal.

5 points from the play off's so we need to bolster the squad (like very team in the division mind).

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
(Shamelessly stolen from the league 1 forum)

So with January not too far away, and the transfer window sweeping open, what are League 2 fans' desires for their club to bring in to strengthen for the remainder of the season?

For us of course we are quite reliant on loanees and short term signings. Caddis and Donoghue signing until the end of the season means we are fairly well stocked squad wise now in all positions and we don't really require to strengthen.

Clearly the chances of us pressing on to go up depend on the situation of 4 key players. Adam May has been poor on loan from Pompey and I expect will go back as he's very much a reserve now,

Keeper Steven Benda who is on a season long loan but is in the sights of Villa and Liverpool if reports are to be believed. Unlikely to be recalled by Swansea. Edit. Literally just been confirmed he's stating until the end of the season.
Anthony Grant's loan is up in Jan I think. We are desperate to extend or sign him permanently as he has been absolutely immense. Him, Lydon and Doughty are as good a midfield in this division and he really drives the team on.
Jerry Yates and Eoin Doyle are on season-long loans but according to the below report in the local rag require confirmation from their parent clubs.

Although the deals are stated as season-long agreements, that needs to be rubber-stamped by all parties in January.
Wellens says Town remain in negotiations to keep the two strikers at SN1 for the full campaign, adding that both players want to stay too.
“We are in contact on a regular basis with all the parent clubs but, at the moment, it is December and we can’t do anything,” said Wellens.
“All the players that I have spoken to all want to stay, which is the main thing.”

Shouldn't be an issue with Yates, however the Doyle thing is more pressing given his goals. I read that he doesn't suit Bradford's style of play so he'll either go back to Bradford and they change their style to accomodate him, or he's just recalled in order to take him away from a promotion rival. Or he stays at us for the season. Time will tell but I suspect he'll stay.
Bowyer likes his strikers with zero threat, miles away from goal aimlessly wasting energy. He’s either too stubborn or too stupid to bring Doyle back and take advantage of his goals, staying at Swindon is an almost certainty IMO. The financial side of things is another matter again, for us it’ll be one in one out at best but it’s hard to see anyone taking our very expensive dead wood.

Crewelad87

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Literally dreading January. We've had lots of scouts watching our games this season, so I'm expecting to lose someone, just hope this team doesn't get ripped apart. Us still being in the FA cup helps, even more so if we can get past Barnsley. Hopefully were not as desperate for a sale as it seemed before the season. The reality though is the likes of Ng, Lowery, Wintle and Kirk could all play at higher a level now, and they will surely have ambitions to do so.

LeonTheGreen

Reaction score
Supports
Plymouth Argyle Football Club
We’ll be getting rid of a few.

Billy Clarke - Played a handful of times since signing a short term contract.
Tafari Moore - Hasn’t played a first team game.
Zak Rudden - Signed on loan from Rangers, but he has been crap.
Ryan Taylor - Played a massive part in our promotion season a few years ago but injuries have caught up with him. Free to a good home.

I’d also expect Ashley Smith-Brown to come back and be moved on, hasn’t featured much for Oldham.

We need to keep George Cooper, and hopefully sign him permanently as I believe we have an option to buy.

A lad called Bakinson from Bristol City is expected to sign, a CM, who got Newport young player of the season last year. Would also love us to spend a fee on a forward who can consistently score, that’s all we’re missing.

Gladders

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Twitter
@Gladders1980
We need wingers but all our money was spent in the summer so it's one in one out or nothing.

Won't happen but Green should go and his wages spent on a couple wingers

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Sounds like a deal has been agreed with Bradford re Doyle.

Grant is treated like he’s got the plague at Shrews so he won’t be going back there - another deal bound to be tied up.

Ditto Yates. He’s OOC in June so a smallish fee may persuade Rovrum to make it a perm now.

Can’t really think where we may need extra bodies, but I suppose with 3 loans being turned into perms will leave space for a couple. Semenyo from Bristol City has been mentioned.

Need to cull a few if possible. Diagouraga deserves a club and be playing regularly in L2. McGlashan isn’t pulling up trees at Chesterfield and likewise Reid at Wrexham. May be difficult to shift them.

Agombar stool

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town
Sounds like a deal has been agreed with Bradford re Doyle.

Grant is treated like he’s got the plague at Shrews so he won’t be going back there - another deal bound to be tied up.

Ditto Yates. He’s OOC in June so a smallish fee may persuade Rovrum to make it a perm now.

Can’t really think where we may need extra bodies, but I suppose with 3 loans being turned into perms will leave space for a couple. Semenyo from Bristol City has been mentioned.

Need to cull a few if possible. Diagouraga deserves a club and be playing regularly in L2. McGlashan isn’t pulling up trees at Chesterfield and likewise Reid at Wrexham. May be difficult to shift them.

If we can get Doyle, Yates and Grant on permanents that's a good statement of intent for sure. We probably do need another backup striker if anything were to happen to either Yates or Doyle.

Is Semenyo a winger or a striker?

I think Wellens is quite hamstrung by not being able to get rid of Diagouraga and McGlashan. Reid is nowhere near the first team but is a handy enough back up as cover.

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
City fans seem to think he needs to be loaned out as a striker. They reckon he’s too good for L2, though. Be difficult to see how he would get much game time if Doyle/Yates remain fit and not suspended.

shoddycollins

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle United
I can't imagine we'll be offloading any of our contracted players. I think the only one the fans would choose to drop is Byron Webster yet successive managers have put their faith in him. We have a small squad so despite our poor form we're not really carrying a lot of dead weight.

Of the loanees, there could be some going back. Sorensen almost certainly you would think as it just hasn't worked.

Fortunately there is no recall on Nathan Thomas. The others are Ryan Loft, Olufela Olomola and Canice Carroll. Carroll had dropped out of the squad under Pressley but seems favoured by Beech (just not at right back).

Olomola started the season very well but has been quiet since and both Pressley and Beech relegated him to the bench. I'd still expect him to get a look in though as he's a good finisher. There's always the prospect Scunthorpe will recall him though now they're above us and scoring goals and with Hurst still in charge there it seems less likely.

Loft has something about him but we need better in that position and he may be the one to make way if we need to make room in the squad.

Si Robin

Reaction score
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I expect Gavin Reilly to return to Bristol Rovers, especially with them having a change of manager. He's not getting into the team at the moment either now Reuben Reid is back.

The other 3 loanees are all signed on until May anyway.

As for contracted players - there's been rumour of League One interest in Ryan Broom. I expect this interest to be just that and he'll stay until Summer when we'll get an alright fee for him.

As for coming in - we need some bite in the middle of the park. Other than that we should be ok.

JJ1532

Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alex
I'm almost certain we'll lose Ryan Wintle, the guy is playing way above the level he's playing at right now. Be shocked if we don't get a fair offer for him.

I can see Kirk also going, his all round performances won't wow, but he turns up on the stats sheet often enough to entice a few L1 clubs, a la Cooper when he went to Posh. Not sure how many teams in L1 have the money we'll want for him though. Ng could go too, he's been excellent for the most part, doubt we'll keep hold of him.

As for the others, I can see us holding onto Lowery and Pickering for a little while longer.

If by some miracle we don't get picked clean and keep everyone, I feel we need an attacking midfield option. I'm done with James Jones, send him packing to whoever wants him. He'll be gone for free in the summer, so what's the harm in getting rid now.

Our business will likely be a 1 out, 1 in scenario where we replace whoever we lose. Maybe permenant, maybe loan. Maybe we can keep them for the rest of the season, but I doubt it.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
Bowyer likes his strikers with zero threat, miles away from goal aimlessly wasting energy. He’s either too stubborn or too stupid to bring Doyle back and take advantage of his goals, staying at Swindon is an almost certainty IMO. The financial side of things is another matter again, for us it’ll be one in one out at best but it’s hard to see anyone taking our very expensive dead wood.
Is there any chance that you might sell Doyle? You'd assume he must be attracting interest in League 1.

Boletus Edulis

Reaction score
Supports
Argyle (and West Ham)
We’ll be getting rid of a few.

Billy Clarke - Played a handful of times since signing a short term contract.
Tafari Moore - Hasn’t played a first team game.
Zak Rudden - Signed on loan from Rangers, but he has been crap.
Ryan Taylor - Played a massive part in our promotion season a few years ago but injuries have caught up with him. Free to a good home.

I’d also expect Ashley Smith-Brown to come back and be moved on, hasn’t featured much for Oldham.

We need to keep George Cooper, and hopefully sign him permanently as I believe we have an option to buy.

A lad called Bakinson from Bristol City is expected to sign, a CM, who got Newport young player of the season last year. Would also love us to spend a fee on a forward who can consistently score, that’s all we’re missing.
Pretty much agree with that. I think one of the big things in January is often not so much who comes in but who you lose. For the past two or three years we have all be worried about losing key players, but this year i doubt that will happen.

LS Bantam

Reaction score
Supports
Bradford City
Is there any chance that you might sell Doyle? You'd assume he must be attracting interest in League 1.
There is the chance (only six months left on his deal), but given the two club rule he’d have to go to Swindon or elsewhere and be loaned back to Swindon from this other club (unlikely).

redjed

Reaction score
Supports
Swindon Town, Sporting Leyland

Doyle cannot play for another team this season, and he is a free agent at the end of the season, so I reckon if we put a cheeky bid in for him in January, we would probably get him.
Bradford, for what I can gather, need to free up some cash to strengthen there squad, therefore to bring back Doyle and then leave him on the bench doesn't make any sense!

Trapdoor

Reaction score
Supports
Exeter
Ollie Watkins to Crystal Palace - £25m

:bdick:

TimeyWimey

Sustainable
Reaction score
Supports
Crewe Alexandra
Wintle and Kirk most likely to be sold for a nice sum, although Kirk’s inconsistency may put people off. That’ll be about it tho imo.

I don’t think there’ll be a exodus of sales like some are expecting. Wouldn’t expect much demand for full backs like Ng and Pickering in a transfer window where it’s all about panic buying and over inflated fees.

In terms of incoming, we’ll probably play the loan market as usual.

E10rifle

Reaction score
Supports
Orient
Our squad is already too bloated with low-quality players, so I can’t see many coming in unless we can unload the likes of Gorman, Dayton and Alabi to some unsuspecting Conference South sides. Doubt that anyone will splash the cash on Dan Happe in the January window, so I’m not expecting any damaging departures.

Imagine we’ll hang on to our only loanee, George Marsh, who is getting reasonable playing time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a striker come in on loan, but that’ll be about it. Survive the season and then perform major surgery on the squad next summer will invariably be the plan.

EricSabin

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton Town
Curle gave his usual riddle style answer when asked about January. I reckon we could do with a nippy goal scoring striker (loads of them about) and another centre half for backup. Should have some cash to play with I’d imagine.

The Terminator

Reaction score
Supports
Leyton Orient
Our squad is already too bloated with low-quality players, so I can’t see many coming in unless we can unload the likes of Gorman, Dayton and Alabi to some unsuspecting Conference South sides. Doubt that anyone will splash the cash on Dan Happe in the January window, so I’m not expecting any damaging departures.

Imagine we’ll hang on to our only loanee, George Marsh, who is getting reasonable playing time. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a striker come in on loan, but that’ll be about it. Survive the season and then perform major surgery on the squad next summer will invariably be the plan.
Pretty much this, any incomings will depend on any out goings - if any. Ling and Embleton have both said that there won't be wholesale changes.

George Marsh's loan is up, we've not used him anywhere near enough, but he has got back into the team recently. Spurs will probably keep him here or send him elsewhere. Toumani Diagouraga would be an ideal replacement, but I can't see Ling or Embleton going for a 32 year old central midfielder, even though we do need a bit more experience for this level.

Hopefully we get rid of James Alabi and bring in another striker, the guy just isn't up to this level and he should've gone in the summer.

Matt Harrold can still do a job as 4th choice but he must go in the summer.

May also need a covering left back, but I can't see us doing too much.

I've heard Dan Happe is wanted by Norwich, but I don't know if they will come in for him in January.

Marvin Ekpiteta is out of contract in the summer and we may cash in on him in this window - But he's struggled in some games to make the step up, but thats partly due to the way we've been setup as a team. Think we'll keep him though for now.

I've also heard that our Chairman Nigel Travis is closed to securing additional investment from a business partner of his - But this won't impact anything in this window should it become official.

Bottega Don

Reaction score
Supports
Scunthorpe United
We are desperate for another CM, one who can control the game and actually pass the ball. Songo'o and Lund are great battlers but can't really pass. We mostly need to keep a hold of Van Veen and Eisa, they've made us tick and are pretty responsible for our upturn in form.

Buxton Vale

Reaction score
Supports
Port Vale
Twitter
@Buxtonvale1
A left back please, and possibly another striker although I might hold on until the end of season for one of those.

Our biggest issue might be holding onto Taylor, because if he goes back we will need a decent replacement.

F!RTHY

Reaction score
Supports
The Bantams
Jamie Devitt’s back - you better watch your backs.

Luke Imp

Reaction score
Supports
Lincoln City
Given Appleton's team selections so far, we'll probably be open to offers for League 2 Winners Lee Frecklington, Tom Pett and John Akinde if anyone fancies them...

Indian Dan

‘Absolute calamity!’
Reaction score
Supports
Swindon
Trying to get your £3m back for Akinde,eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hudders

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!